1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Map owner abuse?

Discussion in 'Community' started by EggplantMan, Jun 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    10:33 PM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    As someone who allowed to use map to others while I wait just for field bosses keeping map only, I'd say, it's free and right of mapowner to allow someone else to use map for grinding or not. Can't say should allow because it's also implied in 'right of owner of that map'. I can't see anything wrong on denying others to use that map even if owner is just keeping map for field bosses, and I also can't see any reason that who willing to grind but not owner has 'higher priority' than who actually have ownership of map.

I'd say, it's matter of personality and kindness. But still disagree on 'ownership keepers should allow others to grind when someone else wants'. that's disrespect of ownership. If someone hopes to be 'respected' their willing to grind, should respect others ownership also. Imo, it's greed that hopes to be respected but doesn't respect others.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    6:33 AM
    Sometimes people that are hunting the area boss don't mind but as long as they keep ownership and if they lose it, the player there that doesn't really care for the boss just gives it to the player there that was waiting for it should be fine.

However not a lot of maps has a mini boss there and if a player has mapowner and another player enters that map and attacks something and the owner sees that they are obligated to report the player.

For me, I don't really care if someone is there smacking a few monsters if they're on the opposite side of the map (if I'm self leeching) but they realize I'm there and stop, so I'm alright with it.

In most cases, people use @ mapowner before attacking something and some put it on a macro in skills settings, the only weird thing would be if theres heavy lag involved and you trade someone in the same timeframe of hitting a monster (it dies) but the mapowner doesn't get registered. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like Like x 1
  3. SapphireJ

SapphireJ Dark Stone Golem

Aug 30, 2017
    Male
    9:33 PM
    HarmonyMagic
    Beginner
    Agape
    I don't see how holding a map is making player's interactions feel strictly like business. Take them the same as people who have been queuing hours for the release of a new hit product. Besides, even if somehow a map ownership revamp was done, it won't exactly change much on these interactions.

Holding a map still requires some effort to do, unless the map owner is using a bot or script to hold the map -- now that's what I consider abuse.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Myungsoo

Myungsoo Slimy

Apr 10, 2020
    Male
    3:33 PM
    Robinn
    Crossbowman
    Let's just bring 2007 back and KS the crap out of each other for a true old school experience :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. Doguu

Doguu Pink Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
    9:33 AM
    I/L Wizard
    I appreciate the quick and quality feedback, especially you Myungsoo lol...I brought this up less as an "abuse" topic and more just the question on what the ToS meant but I just added some thoughts afterwards since I was at it so please forgive me about maybe posting in the wrong place but I never really use forums (even outside ML).

The problem I have with this isn't the disagreement, it's the complacently with how incompetent the mapowner system is when it could be better. There's quite a few nuances people have mentioned that irritates them and there's always more to bring up. (What about instances like shade where you lose map ownership for being sent to town and someone snatches it?) Sure mapowner is a better system than a FFA with KSers but it does not come without methods of griefing, intentional or incidental.

I would disagree specifically on "holding but not using maps" though. My mindset is: why would you respect AFK that prevents others from playing in the area? It just sounds like a flaw in the mapowner system that gives the respect to the AFK, not a dignified respect from other players. Imagine the system recognizes the AFK as the owner (after 5 mins of no mobbing "ownership holder") but someone else comes in and grinds while he continues to hold the map AFK, then he is ready to return and it's time to go. The mapowner system could recognize all of it (maybe as a mapowner + permissed temporary co-owner due to owner AFK) rather than everyone just having to be complacent with not being able to do anything in the area while the AFK also has to put in work to mob every few minutes to remain mapowner. Just sounds like a system that could be improved rather than something everyone is happy with.

This is a touch on how it feels "strictly like business" to me. If I see a red dot on the minimap, even if I'm just passing through I'm more cognizant of my actions. Normally, I'd use everything at my disposal to pass on through the map to take as little damage as possible to avoid pot usage. With mapowner you have the variable of upsetting a player and report potential.

These may seem like nitpicky things but they add up to a big looming system that most noobs like me don't care enough about to use but need to respect nonetheless.

Idk bro, meso-driven services of holding maps to potentially use for leech later (or sell) sounds like business to me >< It's locking people out of an area and being rewarded for it. *A bishop with no soul walks over and says "cc"* (before he realizes you were just going to the next portal lmao) -not really a rant just poking fun-

Anyway, I'd like to brainstorm ways to finetune the system and hopefully it'd make the system enjoyable for more and create a better social experience.