1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Maple Legends on Steam Deck in Gaming Mode

Discussion in 'Guides' started by AMoonlitRose, Oct 20, 2022.

1. OP
    OP
    AMoonlitRose

AMoonlitRose Orange Mushroom

Jun 15, 2020
    Male
    11:10 PM
    RoseLight
    Crusader
    Glad it worked for you! That is so odd to me that Lutris seems to have an older version downloaded now by default... I also wonder if some SteamOS update changed whether or not the /Games folder exists by default. Very odd, I may ammend the guide here when I get some time to mention these steps. I appreciate the feedback!

2. puredeasil

puredeasil Blue Snail

Oct 24, 2016
    12:10 AM
    i get everything installed but when i launch the game on lutris it pops up for 1-2 second and closes and nothing happens,in game mode it just sits at black screen

3. OP
    OP
    AMoonlitRose

Jun 15, 2020
    Male
    RoseLight
    Crusader
    That issue usually means some configuration step was handled wrong along the way. It unfortunately doesn't tell us which step had issues, but you can always make sure all your configurations are set correctly in lutris, in wine, that you have the .dll files replaced correctly, and that you installed the correct file via winetricks.

Sorry I don't have a better solution. Some ither comments also noted their lutris didn't autodownload the same version of wine that mine seemed to so that might be something to look at.

4. JubTheNub

JubTheNub Red Snail

Nov 25, 2022
    Male
    10:10 PM
    JubTheNub
    Priest
    Did you get past the stage where you need to make the Games folder? Thats where I locked up

5. puredeasil

puredeasil Blue Snail

Oct 24, 2016
    12:10 AM
    yes i downloaded the wine 7.2-2,and already had a game folder,i did have a error saying corrupt file while extracting the DPayload.xar file,but all the files seemed to be there

6. OP
    OP
    AMoonlitRose

Jun 15, 2020
    Male
    RoseLight
    Crusader
    I am guessing something went wrong with the file extraction then causing the actual game files to get corrupted somehow.

This would explain why it would fail to launch. Have you tried a full extract process again?

7. OP
    OP
    AMoonlitRose

Jun 15, 2020
    Male
    RoseLight
    Crusader
    I think I may have had a small issue with this the first time I was expetimenting with Lutris. I honestly only use Lutris for ML so I can't say I have experienced it again.

I think I just force closed steam in decktop mode and launched it with the touch screen (since closing it in desktop mode didables controller functionality) and it shower up after the old "turn it off and on again" approach.

Let me know if you get this figured out!
    I haven't had as much time to update this guide, but getting more comments about what works for others at least creates a body of knowledge for future people to reference.

8. Threnody

Threnody Snail

Apr 19, 2023
    Female
    2:10 PM
    Threnody
    Magician
    Popping in to say this worked perfectly for me! Been logging in with a Bluetooth keyboard, as those inputs do register. I set up a little macro called 'Can't type!' and put it on R5 in case I run across anyone who wants to talk. I'd hate for them to think I'm ignoring them, haha.

9. OP
    OP
    AMoonlitRose

Jun 15, 2020
    Male
    RoseLight
    Crusader
    So glad it is working out for you! I appreciate the comment letting me know. I haven't been super active on ML due to life, hahaha. I do check on the forums from time to time to see if anyone has posted a question or comment.

All I ask is that you spread the word! Gotta build up the Steam Deck community as well as ML community!

10. Tarnished

Tarnished Pac Pinky

Jun 13, 2022
    Male
    9:10 PM
    Confessor, Tarnished, Hawthorn
    Hero
    I'm having resolution trouble. The screen appears to be "Hamburger mode" instead of "Hotdog mode". As a result, only ~1/3 of the screen space is used.

When I check my Steam Deck Desktop's monitor settings, it seems Steam Deck defaults to having the monitor sideways (rotated 90 degrees compared to normal display setup).

11. OP
    OP
    AMoonlitRose

Jun 15, 2020
    Male
    RoseLight
    Crusader
    I have heard about this bug. I haven't experienced it myself, but apparently the reason is because the displays used in the Steam Deck were manufactured to be vertical and Valve simply set them to be rotated by default in SteamOS.

I haven't messed with it, but apparently if you go into your display settings in desktop mode you can change the aspect ratio and rotation there. You need to change it to the unituitive 800x1280 (5:8) aspect ratio and set the rotation to 90 degrees counterclockwise. At least that is what I have read online as the solution!

I hope this helps and gets you back up and running!

12. Tarnished

Tarnished Pac Pinky

Jun 13, 2022
    Male
    Confessor, Tarnished, Hawthorn
    Hero
    I was able to get it (mostly) working. In the Lutris config, you just have to set the Virtual Desktop Resolution to 768x1366 (flipped the Legends.ini HD client around). I also turned on the Full Screen option, it looks better imo

Setting the Rotation is unideal because when you're in desktop mode, it still thinks the screen is supposed to be vertical meaning all your controls are messed up.

Mostly the game runs well, but there's some weird input lag that I suspect has to do with V-sync

13. OP
    OP
    AMoonlitRose

Jun 15, 2020
    Male
    RoseLight
    Crusader
    Hmm, odd. I haven't really played any ML for quite a bit so I'm not sure if this is a new issue or not. Lutris also updates constantly so I suppose any changes with it might lead to issues with my guide. Guess that just comes with time though!

14. TripleSnails

TripleSnails Blue Snail

May 17, 2023
  15. OP
    OP
    AMoonlitRose

Jun 15, 2020
    Male
    RoseLight
    Crusader
    Thanks! I always appreciate people who post that it works! :)

Makes me remember I did a good for someone else, hahaha!

Also, anything that helps with visibilty is always good in my book!

16. deckedMS

deckedMS Red Snail

Jun 4, 2023
    Male
    The Netherlands
    6:10 AM
    I had the same issue, install Wine from Discover, and also turn off FSync in the maplelegends shortcut in Lutris (Right click Maplelegends in Lutris > configure).

17. OP
    OP
    AMoonlitRose

Jun 15, 2020
    Male
    RoseLight
    Crusader
    Thanks for the info, I hope it helps anyone who needs it! Maybe at somepoint this guide will work for everyone without any problems, lol.

18. deckedMS

deckedMS Red Snail

Jun 4, 2023
    Male
    The Netherlands
    Hello guys !

I'm trying to run ML on SteamOS (Steam deck) but I don't get past the login screen here.

When I open ML (installed through guide: https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/maple-legends-on-steam-deck-in-gaming-mode.47734/) -
    and enter my ID and PW > click Login > my whole steam deck crashes and I have to hold power to reboot it.

Perhaps there's an error log somewhere I can check for what's causing this?

I have to say I did turn off VSYNC in the wine settings, because my Wine version does not support it. Other than this I installed this on my deck by copying every step from this guide.

Any advice ?

EDIT : I turned off Esync and Vsync and I enabled Lutris runtime.
    Now I can actually login to the game on my steam deck.
    I set my keybinds and started moving through maple island.

Short after this my game froze, again unable to close the game without force rebooting the system.
    So my game is running now but it seems unstable.
    Do you guys experience the same when playing on the steam deck?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
  19. Siegfried

Siegfried Master Chronos

Apr 21, 2017
    Male
    Hi, this is not normal. Seems to be a Steam Deck-related issue, rather than Lutris. You should check for Steam Deck updates. The issue might also randomly go away, since the Steam Deck tries to verify the OS' files integrity nearly every time you restart the Deck.

As for Lutris... ESYNC and FSYNC should also be off, they serve no purpose here.

For everyone saying to set a specific Virtual Desktop resolution- that's also not needed. Leaving it blank should automatically fit to the highest resolution available, i.e. 1280 x 800, or your external monitor if you have it connected and set to your primary display.

Also, "Disable Lutris Runtime" isn't really needed.

If all fails, redownload the ML client again. Sometimes, your files can get corrupted while downloading due to shaky wifi, etc. It sometimes happens on the Deck.

20. deckedMS

deckedMS Red Snail

Jun 4, 2023
    Male
    The Netherlands
    Hey Siegfried, I disabled esync & vsync & unchecked the resizable window and I just logged in MapleLegends
    hi Siegfried,

I changed the setting and now I can login, just setup my controls also. I started moving on maple island and suddenly my game froze (unable to close with the steam button +b so I had to force reboot. Do you think I should do the whole install process again on my deck ? For me it’s important I can play on deck for monster grinding. I’ll be doing party quests on pc, of course. Thanks for your time anyway :)