1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

MapleLegends Olympics?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ainz, Sep 20, 2021.

Would you like to see a MapleLegends Championship?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    80.8%
  2. Not in the form described in the thread. (Please suggest changes)

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Not at all. (Please explain why)

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    3:36 PM
    So many I keep forgetting
    Hello friends!

I was recently procrastinating by watching more YouTube content and I came across a series of videos that sparked my interest.
    The videos in question (link) concern a (yearly) Oldschool RuneScape community tournament called the Gielinor Games.
    A quick tl;dr version of the concept:
    • 8ish teams were formed at the start, each consisting of 2 well-known OSRS content creators.
    • Each week, there would be a challenge for each of the teams to participate in.
    • The team that performs the worst is sent to elimination.
    • There is also a weekly vote, the team that gets the most votes will also be sent to elimination to compete against the aforementioned worst-performing team in another (usually smaller) challenge.
    • The losing team in this challenge is eliminated from the tournament.
    • At the end of the tournament, the last team standing will receive a fairly large sum of Runescape Mesos, funded by a combination of the host and the community.

I absolutely adored the idea and I thought it would be potentially very cool to bring a similar concept to ML. However, before sinking hours upon hours into this, I thought it would probably be wise to poll whether people were even remotely interested in (participating in) the concept.

There are still definitely some logistics to work out, but I'll try to provide a clear and concise description of what I have in mind:

The Challenges

Of course, I cannot leak any specific challenges, as this would ruin part of the fun. However, I can't expect anyone to know whether they'd be interested in participating in a championship without having any clue about the nature of the challenges, so here's a set of guidelines.

• A single challenge will never take too long to execute.
      I was personally thinking of a limit of at most ~2-3 hours, with plenty of challenges taking up less time.
    • A challenge should give no significant benefit to a certain class.
      I want all the participants to be as much on equal footing as can possibly be achieved.
    • The sum of all challenges will test a varied number of skills from the participants.
      Think of skills like game-knowledge (who is located where? how do I complete quest x?), efficiency (who can complete task x while losing the least amount of time?), mechanical skills (who can jump the most consistently? (fat hint) and teamwork.
    • A test will be designed to cause the least preparatory work from participants.
      This might seem like an odd rule, but I would like to keep the 'hassle' of participating to a minimum. That means I will not set dramatic prerequisites for challenges or demand that players record/stream the full thing as proof of legitimacy. Do note that this means I may very well still require screenshots at the start/end to prove legitimacy.
    • Challenges will be executed 'live' where possible.
      Not only for logistics does this make the process a lot simpler (e.g. various contestants racing to meet a condition or reach a destination, this works a lot smoother when everyone starts at the exact same time, compared to a situation where everyone submits their own high score run), it also makes checking for rule violations easier and it means that perhaps the challenges could be streamed.

The Teams
    This is one of the aspects that still have logistics to be worked out. The 'original' contest that I'm basing this off has teams of 2 contestants.
    However, one benefit I saw to larger teams (no more than 4 members) is the fact that people could choose specifically to get a balanced class distribution within their team. This opens up a significant number of challenges (such as farming items or taking down a certain mob) without causing concern for 'one class exceeds at this'.

Regardless, I think the conclusion will be teams of 2 or 4 members.

The Prizes
    In the Gielinor Games, the prize pool is partially funded by the host and largely by friendly members of the community that want to reward the participants further.

I would be a poor host (in both senses of the word) if I did not start the prize fund off properly, so if this gets enough attention/support to ever become a thing I would gladly chip in the first 100m and perhaps some donor cash to the prize pool.

Sorry for once again typing up a fairly lengthy post!!!!

Kind regards,

Ainz

• Like x 6
    • Creative x 4
    • Great Work x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  2. Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    Bro. I just want teams of 5 ppl participate by party grinding with each of the 5 adventurer classes and go head2head in things like scavenger hunt (first team to get all first job, first team to kill mushmom (bonus points for being low lvl), first team to kill jr. Balrog, first team to all make the end of 2 jump quests. First team to ... Etc

• Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    First team to 200 pls

• Like Like x 7
  4. Feeed

Feeed Mr. Anchor

Aug 4, 2020
    Male
    9:36 AM
    Feeed
    Corsair
    Poor? My man scrolled an 8/4 PAC and has a multimage setup, don't believe the bourgeoisie's lies

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Slime

Slime Pixel Artist Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    4:36 PM
    Slime / OmokTeacher
    Beginner
    Flow
    I would follow this for sure.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Floris

Floris Capt. Latanica

May 27, 2020
    Male
    Yes please me and Nightz777Nightz777 will be a team (without his consent oops)

EDIT: I recruit JafelJafel too, dw boys my 8 hours a day will pull us through

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  7. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    You will delete and leave us handicapped

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Floris

Floris Capt. Latanica

May 27, 2020
    Male
    reported.

Also hasn't happened in a long time :C

EDIT: I just abandon them these days :^)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Kyshies

Kyshies Slimy

Mar 13, 2020
    Elliy
    F/P Arch Mage
    What will the special olympics segment be about? Asking for a friend obviously.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    Don't worry, ainz has thoroughly considered this category so he could partake as well.

• Like Like x 2
  11. OP
    OP
    Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    Multimagers also need a place to participate!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. GooBeR

GooBeR Master Chronos

Aug 29, 2021
    6:36 AM
    You could have a group start new characters and first party to achieve a certain goal wins.

13. OP
    OP
    Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    JafelJafel mentioned a similar idea and it's something I was very thrilled about. However, without demanding recordings of the full process, I think it'd be near impossible to eliminate leeching/muling/trading OP gear/otherwise cheating.

14. GooBeR

GooBeR Master Chronos

Aug 29, 2021
    6:36 AM
    You could have them all stream it. But if you're like me wirh my garbage internet connection that's not going to happen. If this game had an Ironman mode it would make it a lot more simple.

15. OP
    OP
    Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    Yeah I've definitely toyed with the idea. However, if I were to set a requirement of streaming/providing footage, I would lose the small number of people interested in participating.

Ironman mode would indeed make so many challenges so much more doable/realistic, but I fear it might never happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. theKatia

theKatia Capt. Latanica

Apr 29, 2017
    Female
    4:36 PM
    Asteracea
    Bowmaster
    Funk
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/demure-presents-guild-wars.11953/
    This seemed cool way back when. They had some creative ideas there. Sadly I was unable to participate at the time, but my guild won :)
    I'd be glad to see these sorts of things pop up more often once more. There's a lot of different kinds of challenges that can be issued, each with their own setup.
    Seriously, when's the last time we held a math cards/ omok tourney? ^.^

Still sad I missed out on one of those deku-deku hammers T.T

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. OP
    OP
    Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    Hello you gorgeous bastards!

I'm thinking of trying to breathe some new life into this challenge, as the third rendition of the OSRS Gielinor Games has just commenced.
    However, both due to lack of time, lack of creativity, and lack of game knowledge, I'd like to have some people to brainstorm with.
    I know there's at least a couple of you guys out there that play OSRS, perhaps at least one of you watches/watched Gielinor Games, or perhaps some of you would be interested in just brainstorming ideas that avoid benefits from having tens of billions of funding w/e.

tl;dr, Ainz LF>people to brainstorm possible challenges for teams to compete (on equal footing).

Edit: I've decided to include an example challenge to clarify what type of things I'm looking for:

One of the Gielinor Games (GG) challenges consists of the host (Soup) sending a (small, limited FOV) screenshot of a certain area/map within the OSRS world. The contestants then have to be the first to trade the host in order to accumulate points. Hypothetically, the first player (out of 5) gets 5 points, the second gets 4, etc. etc.

Second Edit: If you feel like helping, brainstorming, or just having a chat, please reach out to Ainz Ooal Gown#0001 on Discord

Love u all

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1