1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Melee vs Ranged.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zorele, Dec 24, 2022.

1. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    6:13 AM
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Sure, there's currently a lot of opportunities to cleave 2 heads at once currently. Too much cleave would nullify the additional DPM advantage as you quickly reach a state where you need more flexible single target damage (generally against MH, where range can become an issue in some cases) but having one cleave to speed up the run by being able to cleave 2 heads during favorable cancels is fine in the current meta as long as they know where to position. Any head damage is good damage; most bishop genesis damage is spread out among all the parts and due to magic cancels bishops generally contribute pretty pitiful heads damage over the course of the run. It's a bit of a risk as unfavorable cancels (alternating cancels or excessive double cancels) will nullify the advantages cleave brings to the run but on average a single cleave should be able to pull similar or sometimes even higher numbers than their single target counter parts over the course of the run (accounting for parity in gear strength and levels)

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    9:13 AM
    Zorele
    Cleric
    Gotcha! Thanks for taking the time, I appreciate the detailed explanation. So more than an opportunity for heroes and darks to excel it's more of a gamble and on the average run the cleave provides similar damage to ranged. It's a valid consideration but it still feels a bit lackluster to me.

3. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    It's more of a gamble for them to provide higher DPM. On average, the single cleave should be outperforming the 4 single target attackers on the run (it's not uncommon to see 13m+ for a skilled DrK in HT whereas even 10m dpm for a highly geared NL is considered impressive). If 6 man HTs were trying to optimize, in theory they should be bringing in a strong cleave to each run, just as most 6 mans try to bring a Bucc for TL.

It may feel lackluster to you but a 30-40% DPM advantage is quite significant and imo definitely falls under the realm of them excelling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    With this in mind i agree with your take, seems to me like there's definitely room for atleast one dark/hero so you definitely changed my mind. *Crying in shad*

5. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    One of the biggest tragedies of Shad is how insanely good Smokescreen can potentially be but how worthless it is in practice due to the requirement to play around switching up party members and the complete inability for many players to effectively do so. It's funny; most players tunnel on the ability for runners to do effective DPM in fights like PB, but in reality runs wipe by the simple fact that most players just lack the ability to leave and join party in a timely fashion.

Making Smokescreen an expedition buff instead of a party buff is something that has already been suggested in other threads, but would immediately skyrocket Shad priority in PB during critical phases (notably RB). Granted, this doesn't fix the issue that such utility could be easily muled but... alas, that's what happens when you have an indestructible class with group utility that doesn't do any damage.

6. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    Expedition wide smoke would also mean 100% iframe for the whole run, since anything that can be muled will be muled and then you'd bring no shad and just smoke mules potentially. I agree that smoke in theory could be a good skill but when compared to other signature skills like SE/TL/Si i'd say it's the weaker one with mostly specific scenarios where it could be useful

7. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Yeah it's an unfortunate side effect. I don't really think there's an "easy" solution to making Shads more important in the meta besides buffing their damage (which imo doesn't seem problematic on paper?) but they're hardly in a bad state as is. They can still easily find their way onto a PB squad if they really want to.

8. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    I don't think shads are in a terrible state but i also don't think it makes sense for them to be in the state they are all things considered. Just the fact that they are amongst the worst single target (not to say the worst) out of the attackers and literally their cleaving abilities are a joke doesn't make much sense to me. Their damage is just not bad enough where it is an immediate urgent problem but bad enough to where there's no real use for shadowers. This is why i think buffing smoke to give some sort of partywide buff is a good approach but also somewhat muleable and would need to be buffed alongside their damage to justify bringing them and not just muling them. It's hard to perceive shads as being underpowered with the "melee vs ranged" scope instead of the "damage is king" scope.

9. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Imo trading smoke duration for expedition wide benefits would be incredibly worth it at high levels of play but I’d imagine there’s a lot of Shads who don’t care about endgame that would be annoyed. Even a 5-10 second duration would be incredibly powerful in PB if expedition wide. But a damage buff would also likely suffice and be easier to tune as well as not negatively affect Shads outside large expedition play

10. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    I've always played with the idea of 2 smoke versions. The regular one and then a "charged one" similar to how you charge corkscrew punch. You'd long press smoke for a different version. Perhaps something like that would keep the best of both worlds but definitely buffing damage in some way or form seems like easier approach. Idk if v62 can handle potion lock but that is a way to make smoke real valid. Actually increasing survivability and damage (less need to play safe on potlocks)

11. Tommygunner

Tommygunner Mixed Golem

Oct 29, 2020
    tbh, i have a friend that im trying to convince to join maple, and he seems interested in shad. but i dont think i can really recommend that job because how hard it'll be to get into some bossing runs.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    I'll give it to you straight i have 2 shads, i love shads and i can tell you right now if he really likes it, he should play it. Most players don't mind bringing you to most content. The problem comes at a higher level where there are limited players and runs and you'll want to bring the best you can. Shad isn't unplayable, it's just not an objective good pick for any reason.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. beegoratto

beegoratto Zakum

Sep 22, 2021
    Male
    leetoratto
    Bowmaster
    Nimbus
    Just let your friend play what they want to play. In reality if they’re a dedicated player that wants to do sweaty content they’ll need to go through the motions of making multiple characters anyways, and in all likelihood they won’t be a sweat lord and their class won’t matter at all

14. Tommygunner

Tommygunner Mixed Golem

Oct 29, 2020
    thank you for the insight. i think shad will be a great character for someone starting out maple for first time because savage blow is THE COOLEST 2nd job skill. and the dashes in 3rd job is fun too. maybe im over-worrying about him choosing shad.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Tommygunner

Tommygunner Mixed Golem

Oct 29, 2020
    thats true. hoping shad will be a good gateway, and then he'll see what other jobs do (though none is as flashy as shad early on)

16. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    10:13 AM
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    I remember someone proposed (I'm not sure if it was first post about that, but maybe it was here: NON-MEME potential shadower buffs | MapleLegends Forums - Old School MapleStory) about giving a chance to crit while on smokescreen. I liked the idea, but instead of giving a crit chance to whole party (as suggested), I think it could give a really high crit chance only for shadowers. Maybe that would help to buff it's dpm. Making it a better party buff is also an option, but that should be carefully adressed since can just raise the amount of shad mules.

• Like Like x 1
  17. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    i mentioned something like that and for it to work out it would have go give both crit rate and critdmg to shad at a significant amount since it's only 15% uptime. If we didnt have to worry about muling id say to make it party wide while capping crit rate at 50% (so ranged attackers don't get out of control) and make it give crit rate and crit dmg, the latter benefiting ranged as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Tommygunner

Tommygunner Mixed Golem

Oct 29, 2020
    isnt the simplest way to buff shads and avoid people muling them.....just to boost either their dmg?

• Like Like x 1
  19. OP
    OP
    Zorele

Zorele Slimy

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Zorele
    Cleric
    I think the main concern is if you just buff damage for everyone in a game where we agree damage far outweighs anything else then every class would just be "the same". I think a mix between damage and smoke would be the sweetspot. Similar to how you can mule archers but they are good enough to bring.

20. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    10:13 AM
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    Yeah, but thing is if it adds to whole party in a significant amount, I can see people using mules, specially cuz shads dont spend many potions.

• Like Like x 1