1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Monster Card Drop Rate!

Discussion in 'Rejected' started by Buttery Bear, Aug 5, 2019.

1. LeeDragon

LeeDragon Orange Mushroom

Dec 11, 2016
    Male
    11:17 PM
    LeeDragon
    Dark Knight
    I not really sure the drop rate of monster book card is really bad or good. When I hunting for the card, I using this method to hunt the cards.

For the red and orange tab, I will set to hunt for 10min. If no card drop, then I will change channel to continue hunting for 10min. If got card drop, then I will reset my time back to 10min and continue on that channel.

For light green and green tab, I will set as 20min and will be follow this pattern to hunt.

This is my method to hunt and you can try using it. Some channel like no drop of the card but when you change channel the card drop like crazy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    8:17 AM
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    Citation needed for like 90% of that. Who are most people? Is it just another constructed public?

Honestly this portion is pretty baffling with how much there is to unpack. It almost sounds like you think it's a good idea to completely rework the Monster Book system just so that you, personally, have a more enjoyable experience collecting cards? And it should be changed so that it's neither easier nor more difficult and just change the number of sets required, a process that will take no doubt dozens of hours to balance and really won't satisfy anyone except for you and everyone else who isn't interested in the rings but also interested in collecting every single card?

Honestly to re-balance things around 10 minute sets the GMs would need to add even more cards from every single mob because I really doubt the 404 currently in the book will be enough to make it even a similar amount of work as it was before. And then the process would get even more tedious. That isn't even considering that now every single person with a tier 10 ring currently would have to grind more sets. I really wouldn't know where to begin without completely screwing up the server.

It sounds like you either want to make it easier to achieve the tier 10 ring, which would diminish everyone's accomplishments and continue down the road to EZStory, or somehow rebalance things to make gathering sets faster while keeping in the accomplishment of getting a tier 10 ring there somehow.

If a new player wants to go for a tier 10 ring or even for every single card, I'll encourage him to do so if that's what he wants to accomplish. I respect their conviction and all of the hard work that goes into doing that. I know they can do it, and I know it won't be easy, but if they stick to playing the game then they will be able to. If they give up not even 10 sets in because it's too hard, then unfortunately I don't think the Monster Book is for that person. That's okay too. Not every piece of content is made for every single individual. Some people like challenging content. Some people like easy content. But the easy content should be left to those who want to do it and the challenging content should be left to their target demographic. Not everything needs to be made easier because there's a group that dislikes it. There's actually a decent sized group that enjoys the challenging content and disregarding their opinions as "gatekeeping" or "holding the server back" isn't a really helpful opinion to have. The people who like challenging content and enjoy it in its current state have just as valid of an opinion as everyone else, and their reasons are their own. This is content that was meant for people who wanted a challenge, and if you want to make it less challenging then you should anticipate some pushback.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    4:17 PM
    Moderator Post
    When Monster Books were introduced, it took the first person to reach Tier 10 less than a month. While we didn't have any Monster Book update lately, the Tier 10 card was much more difficult to get at the very begin, before we extended it twice. We probably extend it again in the future, but just didn't, unfortunately, had the time yet to add them AND translate them.

The fun thing I always see in such suggestions is somewhere, at an other place, there are people mocking us for being an 'ez server' compared to how we were in 2016. Well, yes. Back in 2016 we were a much more difficult server than what we are now, and I honestly think when it comes to some things we are already very spoiled.

I did a quick query, and there are currently 274 people owning a Tier 10 ring.

The Monster Book rates were not changed for about 2 years now, and honestly, I would never make a global drop rate change. As FishyFishy mentioned each area or even mob has its own Monster Book drop rates. This was careful and manually done by myself, which took a painful amount of time. If you feel a specific mob has garbage card drop rate, feel free to suggest changes. However, I am not going to make a global change and just randomly out of nowhere make them all easier. This is a 1x drop server.

• Like Like x 10
  4. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Hood/Agape
    Just to throw my experience into the mix:

So far I've got 5 characters with Tier 5 Rings, 1 character with a Tier 4 ring, and I'm working on my Priest right now who just recently got his Tier 2 ring. I've been doing the same mobs for each character filling up the Red, Orange, and mostly Yellow Tabs (with a sprinkling of Green Tab monsters). The only drop rate I find excessively annoying in that spectrum of cards I've hunted 7 times over are the Ashigarus. Yes, some of the Aqua Road mobs are a bit annoying, but I don't want to complain because this is effectively a way to reduce the amount of HP washing one would have to do - and that's kind of the point. Such serious stat bonuses from that ring shouldn't come easy.

If drop rates were reduced, The Junk Yard wouldn't be stocked with so many stacks of etcs. I've often had people request Rat Traps. My only response is, "Sorry, but they dropped their 5 cards rather quickly so...you'll have to wait until I take my next character through." My Priest got 5 Curse Eye cards in less than 5 minutes! This was less than 100 Curse Eye Tail drops. I typically measure the length of time spent farming cards on the stacks of etcs I get. On average, I get about 3-5 stacks of 200 etc drops from a mob. If I get under that, I feel good and move on (but The Junk Yard customers are going to need to be early birds, because those aren't going to last long). If I get over that, I get a little annoyed, but I know The Junk Yard customers will be well supplied. I can't justify asking for any changes to the drop rates...EXCEPT THE ASHIGARUS! Because seriously...f*** those guys!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. aaronis

aaronis Slimy

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Shadower
    Beaters
    Slightly off topic but is the mpq boss card going to be purchasable soon, since its a pq boss and many people weren't able to get it as they were too high level. If it's already in the game with the other pq cards oop my bad.

• Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. HappyFestus

HappyFestus Master Chronos

Jul 2, 2017
    9:17 AM
    Shadower
    Thanks aaron very cool I also want to know that would be nice thank you

7. Zooploop

Zooploop Master Chronos

Aug 15, 2018
    Male
    11:17 AM
    Crusader
    I'll chip in my two cents as someone who's almost completed the book with 2008 cards. I'll admit from the start I knew I would want to complete it. My opinion doesn't reflect that of your casual or even average player. That being said though, I believe the drop rates on most cards are fine. From since I began hunting as a Fighter to when I received my T10 ring at level 102 (yes as a Crusader) there were some really difficult mobs. However I chose to complete them as I would have eventually anyway.

In reality getting a T7-T8 ring isn't that difficult. It's not fast or easy, but for something that does give a nice tangible reward I wouldn't expect it to be. Getting T10 is a big achievement but totally in the realm of possibilities for your average player. Monster cards and the tier rings were never added as something to be finished in your spare time, it's a daunting task deserving of it's own grind. I agree there are some cards that could use a buff in rates, but as far as getting a T10 there's plenty of options and alternatives that you'll never be faced with getting a Dark Yeti and Pepe or Reindeer.

It took me 3 months to get a T10 from when I started (with questing mixed in, highly inefficient of course) and basically a year to now, and I've yet to complete the book still. And I think that's perfectly fine. Completing the book is a far bigger achievement than the ring as there's no reward in itself for collecting past T10. If it seems impossible to finish the whole book, it's simply not for you. It's not something most people will work to obtain and it's not something most should. I believe if anyone but the most dedicated players were capable of doing it, there would be no achievement in it at all.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. MissRainbow

MissRainbow Mixed Golem

Jun 26, 2017
    Female
    4:17 PM
    ControlPanel / WireLess / FireWall / HotSpot
    Bandit
    Beaters
    I would also like to give my two cents.
    I have 2 T10 rings, one on a shad and one I decided to get on my marksman before lvl 120 (and now I'm trying to get another one for a mage.... and it takes forever).
    Farming cards and getting the ring is a challenge, and it's not for everybody. I passed hours (and sometimes days) in some maps to get the cards for sets I decided I wanted.
    Everybody have different game-play, some like grinding for hours, some like bossing, some like questing and some like collecting stuff. And for every person one of those would feel like hell on earth, but it's not a good enough reason to change the dynamics of the whole game just to make it easier for new people.
    I know enough people with T0 that hate card farming and can't be bothered by the ring, or people that get the ring at high lvl because it's a change from their normal routine.

My point is - if something isn't working for you, don't force it! Do things that you enjoy!

If you'd like to try anyway, start from the red tab and cc every 10 minutes just like was suggested previously. Try hunting cards from monsters that are easy enough to kill for you or you can grind on to get exp.
    Another trick is to complain to guild / bl as much as you can.... I swear it helps!
    And remember the 5th card is always the hardest.

It's an adventure, and it can be frustrating sometimes, but the task is not as hard as it seems and the cards and sets add up.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Ryae

Ryae Wolfspider

Apr 17, 2015
    Female
    USA (West Coast)
    Ryae
    Night Lord
    Nimbus

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Hood/Agape
    IT REALLY DOES!!! NOT KIDDING!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    11:17 AM
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    I agree with Ashigaru being horrible, but unless the drop rates ha e changed recently then I like it how it is

12. redblueblur

redblueblur Mr. Anchor

Dec 18, 2017
    Male
    11:17 PM
    Z00M
    Beginner
    well im totally for a little increase in drop rates, but i dont really see a real change of the dynamics of the whole game.
    again, rates are gonna be decided amongst staff. GLHF

i think this is only logical, admins do look into it. many thanks.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. KloudKnight

KloudKnight Brown Teddy Retired Staff

Jul 22, 2019
    Male
    2:17 AM
    KloudKnight
    Brawler
    Agape
    You need only 300 sets out of 405 to achieve a tier 10 ring. You can completely ignore most of the last 3 tabs of the monster book to achieve this. While the drop rate can be atrocious, it can also be incredibly lucky. It's just a matter of patience and making use of drop events to effectively grind all the 300.

14. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Sadly the drop events are just as rare as some monster book cards :(.