1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Nerf Veetron Drop Rate

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Shivering, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    5:45 AM
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    Hello,

I would like to suggest a nerf to veetron drop rates. Since the introduction of dungeons prices across a lot of what used to be valuable equips have been neutered. These items have flooded the market with the introduction of dungeons and ulu2 dungeons (and gs2 for the thief top/bot) are always on the more packed side.

• Perfect thief top went from 2.5 to 3m to 1m
    • Perfect thief bot went from 2.5m to 3m to 1.5m
    • 50 att cravens went from 5-6m to 3.5-4m and there have been corresponding price decreases across all high stat cravens
    I think the drop rate of these 3 items should definitely be reduced; maybe it can be compensated by increasing drop rates of other items within the pool, but do we even really need mage buffs.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. jesscapades

jesscapades Pac Pinky

Jun 24, 2019
    Female
    8:45 AM
    jesscapades
    Shadower
    Homies
    I'm not happy with price decreases, but I don't see why this warrants intervention when nothing else that deflated got that treatment. Even back in The Before Times (pre-pandemic), perfect thief top/bot went for 2.5m. I'm not sure what 50 att cravens were before, but 51 atts were 15m and they look like they're only 10-12m now. The non-perfect cravens might have fallen in price more, but IMO that's because as the price of the perfect equip lowers, people are more likely to just aim for the perfect one since the absolute difference is smaller.

Similar items for other classes fell in price, like perfect GDKs (4m to 4.5m -> 3m) and perfect arzunas (2m -> 700k to 1m). Granted, there are some items that look like they haven't fallen, like king cents and blue crescent boots.

Substitutes have fallen in price across the board. I also have better data for this; the prices I listed above are from memory. A perfect DPS sold in late July for 150m. By October, I sold one for 90m. Now they're 50m. Other examples include kanzirs dropping from 45m to 30m, and shiner bows from 50m to 35m. These price drops alone should warrant price drops in their lower-level counterparts. TBH given how much DPS's have dropped, I'm surprised cravens haven't dropped more.

Anyways, the point I'm trying to make is that I agree that prices deflating is bad, and even more so when it deflates rapidly; but it's been happening to literally everything for the past year, so I don't see anything special about this case. Prices have been more or less stable the past few months, which makes this stand out. However these items now have relative prices that are on par with what they were in The Before Times so I don't see the issue.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. OP
    OP
    Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    I don't think just because nothing was done in the past doesn't mean nothing should be done in this future. I believe there's also some evidence of staff stepping in at times like for HT book market drop rate has been lowered on quite a few occasions if memory serves correctly.

I think weapons are a bad example to show a trajectory over a long period of time on prices because there are so many contributors that could impact price. The deflation could be attributed to increased # of HT runs leading to more drops, but it could also be from WS prices going up, introduction of new end game weapons, and a variety of factors so it's hard to pinpoint exact causes.

I think in this case these specific items have held around this price point for years, but since the introduction of the dungeons we've seen an almost instant reaction from the market. As for being on par with their corresponding weapons I believe a 51 att 7 luk craven is about the same as a 54 att DGS (valued at 15m) so I think it does make sense for that to be the price point for a perf craven.

The main reason I asked for this though is because when dungeons were introduced, staff said they would be monitoring them closely to see their overall impacts and I just wanted to make this thread to make sure this was on their radar.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    People just need to stop undercutting thief tops/bottoms

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Jolly_Walker

Jolly_Walker Chronos

Jul 25, 2017
    Male
    8:45 PM
    JollyWalker
    I/L Arch Mage
    red pirate top/bottom are dropped in gs2, even if the ulu grinders all sell at 2.5m, gs2 will definitely undercut

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
  7. jesscapades

jesscapades Pac Pinky

Jun 24, 2019
    Female
    jesscapades
    Shadower
    Homies
    Agreed, I mainly wanted to point out that this just seems like a very niche thing to change when people have been getting poverty wages in zak and HT for the past ~8 months and literally almost 0 profit in NT for the past ~2 years.

I don't disagree on the causes of why those dragon weapons went down in price, my argument is that when those weapons go down in price then that should cause a price drop in their respective lower tiers of weapons (DPS's and cravens, kanzirs and GDKs, DSBs and nisrocks, etc). Though that price drop doesn't have to be proportional.

A lot of NLs will pay out the ass just to be able to flex that they have the most expensive gear or gear made from perfect stats. A 51/7 craven, a 54 DGS, and a 53/7 DPS are all almost equivalent, but the 53/7 DPS will sell for 22m while the DGS will only sell for 15m.

I can't argue with that :yay:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    I feel like NL equips in general are affected by the number of new players who join the server. Perhaps during anniversary event, the prices of cravens will increase again.

But just a larger meta point on how much people *should* make from these maps. There are a ton of maps in the game that give around 8-10m meso/hr (with MU, no leech), mostly for mages, but there are a few non-mage maps. This is the middle-class earnings for ML. Some maps have more dependence on equips/scroll prices and some are mostly pure meso. But depending on the current market for items, people usually migrate to the other maps. The only problem is if there is blanket deflation across all meta maps, then probably something should be changed.

9. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    9:45 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    I'm of the belief we throw around the word "deflation" or "deflate" far too easily. The idea of deflation is generally associated with overall market trends and a decrease in price, when you're income remains the same (or even increases). An example would be:
    • [Baseline] In February, Shivering used to make 30 mil per hour. He could buy 15x Onyx Apples (lets assume 2 mil per piece)
    • [Deflation] Assume there has been no changes to APQ or the number of people running APQ or any new bosses that require apples. But apple prices decreased to 1 mil per piece. Shivering can now afford 30x Onyx Apples.
      • Since Shivering is still making the same amount of money, the fact that he can afford more of the same item even though nothing has changed = deflation
      • Indicative of macroeconomic issues or poor market confidence (believing that tomorrow, the apple prices would be even less).
    • [NOT deflation] Assume there was a APQ buff and the number of people running APQ has now increased. Apple prices have also decreased to 1 mil per piece. Shivering can now afford 30x Onyx Apples.
      • Shivering is making the same amount of money, BUT what is different is that surrounding factors has changed.
      • Price DECREASE is due to excessive supply. NOT indicative of macroeconomic issues or poor market confidence.
    • [NOT deflation] It is 2030, due to nerfs Shivering has killed all meso making methods and the best he can do is 15 mil per hour. All other players suffered a similar 50% cut in their hourly income. Apple prices decreased to 1 mil per piece. Shivering can still afford 15x Onyx Apples.
      • Shivering is making LESS money, but the market has adjusted and what he can purchase with his new income has adjusted.
      • Relatively, nothing has changed.
    Back to the topic, based on the market trends for some common items I don't really see any worrying levels of deflation. See https://owlrepo.com/charts for reference. So throwing around the term "deflation" doesn't seem appropriate here. This just seems to be a textbook case of the market balancing itself based on supply vs demand.

If so many people are farming in one place, the prices are bound to go down. At which point, some people will stop farming there and move somewhere else, and prices will eventually climb back up again. The only times that I personally see for things to be adjusted is if they affect things at a larger scale.
    • Not a niche sector (like one leech spot), but one that affects majority of players & wider market (eg. horntail)
      • It affects those who are Horntailing currently
      • It affects those who are currently making attackers, as their end-game goal is to Horntail often times
      • It affects leechers, whose main clientele are future attackers
    • Widely disrupts economic balance, such as by generating an overwhelming amount of raw mesos (eg. gobies)
      • It affects market prices across the board, by increasing every single price.
      • It actually DEFLATES people's currently existing mesos.
      • It causes severe wealth disparity, because those who are able to farm those raw mesos can keep up with the market change vs. those who are not able to farm those raw mesos, keep their current amount of mesos, which will have less relative value as the raw mesos keep getting farmed.
    • Widely disrupts game progression, such as accelerating leveling beyond a reasonable pace (eg. shaolin on release & double leecher two hit dukus)
      • The faster the people level, the faster the population balance (end-game vs early-game) gets affected.
      • The more aforementioned balance is affected, higher chance of disproportionate supply vs demand. More people doing end-game things in such a short period of time, means more end-game supply and not enough demand to balance it out.
      • Leads to wider market repercussions.
    NOTE: The three examples above, are changes we have ALREADY done in the past.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Great Work Great Work x 7
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  10. ma3ohma3

ma3ohma3 Chronos

Mar 5, 2021
    remove dungeons! #makeveetrondropsgreatagain

11. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    Tfw who makes market flooded and who cries for dropping value down is actually same person......

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. redblueblur

redblueblur Mr. Anchor

Dec 18, 2017
    Male
    Z00M
    Beginner
    hats off to nise, the rationale to nerf something shld have a permanent basis rather than a periodic calender effect based on the high volume of new/existing players. Balancing items shld not be based on how many players are farming the certain item or its price fluctuation, especially if it is a farmable mob as compared to bosses like HT. Prices on a certain item are meant to fluctuate based on Demand and Supply, if we were to ever balance an item just because it went below its benchmark during a period with different number of players in server, it would be a very manipulative effort to control the market where non end game tier items should not be controlled but rather leaving it up to the market participants.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. OP
    OP
    Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    I don't think this is true simply because of how little these items contribute to the overall meso generation at ulu2. Ulu2 when farmed optimally aka with an MU mule generates a leecher about 17m an hour and a non leecher about 11m an hour (this is comparable to income associated with 1 hit skeles and petris which have significantly higher barriers to entry) WITHOUT any of these perfect drops.

A craven drops on average about once an hour and same with tops/bots. There is a 3/11 chance you will get a sellable craven. There is a 1/9 chance you will get a sellable top/bot. Based on this, I have put together a series of tables to demonstrate how much value these equips generate to a leecher's income.

[​IMG]

On the left you see what prices were, in the middle you see what they are, and on the right you see an extreme scenario of what they can become. Even in the worst case scenario you take a hit of about 2 mil income per hour which is negligible compared to the overall meso making of this map; in the current situation you lose about 800k per hour which is pretty laughable to begin with. When you look at alternative maps within this level range nothing comes close to the income this map generates for a mage so I think expecting people to go elsewhere until prices climb up is a pipe dream because the equips are just a bonus to what is already a very good map.

I think another important thing to note is how some of these items can cause ripple effects. The increase in cheap tops has definitely impacted the topwear luk 30% market already with scroll prices rising from just below 2 mil to the current price of 2.7m. Topwear luk 30% is one of those scrolls that is gated by gach and I believe it's not available through other means so this might get even worse.

It is only a matter of time as craven prices decline before they impact the DGS market as well; as 51 att craven prices drop I imagine we will see similar drops in value for 54 att and lower DGS and 53 att and lower DPS.

At the end of the day though, ulu2 has been a great meso making method for a long, long time and with the introduction of dungeons and this increased supply I think now is as good a time as any for a slight nerf to the map to possibly bring it in line with some of the other maps in the level range.

EDIT: Not sure why this didn't submit with my original comment; maybe I accidentally deleted it, but anyways deflation has multiple meanings. I wasn't talking about deflation from an economic standpoint but simply from a perspective of decreasing prices.

In this case deflation meant "the action or process of deflating or being deflated," where deflating is defined as "the reduction of a price level." Quotes are taken from definitions of a Merriam-Webster dictionary.

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  14. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    2:45 PM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    Same goes for top luk 70% and well 60% is only dropped by Zeno otherwise also Gacha.

While I think the prices of these 30% scrolls will go down a bit unless someone will actively keep them up as was done yesterday but it will definitely not dip below 2.3m anytime soon again

EDIT: Topwear luk 30% upload_2021-4-13_18-43-19.png

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. jesscapades

jesscapades Pac Pinky

Jun 24, 2019
    Female
    jesscapades
    Shadower
    Homies
    It seems like this post is directed at me, given that you said "So throwing around the term "deflation" doesn't seem appropriate here", and I used that term several times in this post. Or Shivering or Toast, who both used it once as well.

TBH this is the last straw for me, and I'm not sure if I'll visit the forums anymore--at least not in the near future. I've had the impression on here for a while now that a lot of people think they're right all the time. I find it very problematic when staff members are a part of this problem, and it reinforces my impression that suggestions and discussions had on the forum are useless.

No where in my post did I claim anything was currently deflating; unless my Ctrl+F is broken, all I said were general statements about how deflation is bad and how it occurred in the past year. The mentions by Shivering and Toast were both along those lines as well.

Anyways, I'm not going to sit here and list my degrees and shit. But I can promise you that I don't speak on topics that I am not qualified to talk about. Of course, that doesn't mean I'm never wrong, but it means I don't just say shit without putting a lot of thought into all the words I choose and the messages I send. The messages I'd like to send in this response are:
    1. That is not what deflation is. You're more so describing what relative prices are, because deflation has nothing to do with income. Even in an introductory macro class they'll tell you the money growth rate is (average price now)/(average price before), and deflation occurs when the money growth rate is less than 1, i.e. average price now < average price before.

2. In general, please remember to not take data as gospel and that without fancy statistical methods you almost cannot claim anything in economics. And even with those methods, there are always flaws.

You can certainly provide evidence for claims, but almost every argument in economics is based on unverifiable assumptions and you should always question those assumptions. Anyone in general who presents an argument should spend more time showing their assumptions are robust and less time acting like they're right.
    If this post wasn't directed at me, sorry for hijacking the thread with my rant. But either way I wouldn't retract what I said. I've been thinking about how to reply to this since last night and even had someone proofread it to make sure I wasn't being too toxic or emotional.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    Theres a dank copy-pasta in here somewhere.

The obvious solution to this problem is equips not making up a significant portion of meso generation. Close the mule gap; remove meso up; make equips great again :cool:

17. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    I was talking about just the general rise in the use of the term deflation on forums, in game, and discord. While I understand that the people on this post probably didn't mean it as wider deflation, there are people that read this and could infer the wrong meaning/phenomenon from it. I apologize if it seemed targeted, but it honestly wasn't.

(Think of my post more like a PSA rather than a targeted reply)

Thanks for raising the issue about how income traditionally has nothing to do with deflation ^^ In hindsight, I should've probably listed all my assumptions and basis of reasoning in the original post, since it was already quite wordy, but you live and you learn xD
    1. Distinction of IRL economics vs. game economics
      • Its true that in irl economics income has absolutely nothing to do with inflation/deflation, since we as individuals just deal with money thats already printed. We as individuals can't possibly affect inflation/deflation, and responsibility for that falls entirely on the central bank with the adjustment of interest rates and printing more money.
      • Game economics differs in the sense that a large portion of our income is us printing our own money. Therefore, the amount of raw mesos that is generated per hour by a player can have wider repercussions to the health of the economy.
      • (Eg) As mentioned by HiyoHiyo Gobies generated 13-15mil RAW mesos per hour. Like how Skeles is now, all channels of gobies were full at pretty much all times of the day. A lot of people were fearful of more rampant inflation on our server, rightfully so because the way MapleStory was designed, there's bound to be inflation, it was just a question of "is it a manageable amount of inflation?" Traditional meso making like passive meso generation while training was still manageable, but gobies (along with mannequins later down the line) pushed things to their limits.
    2. Specifying my assumptions about hourly profits
      • I should've probably specified the underlying assumptions there. When I cited Shivering's hourly profits as an example, I meant RAW meso profits.
      • It was also an assumption that whatever Shivering was doing would be the highest amount of raw mesos that can be generated on the server (because, if not why would he be there :p look how quickly he ditched harps). Since it's the highest amount of raw mesos, then it would soon become the primary source of raw mesos for our player base (look at how quickly people flooded into gobies once it became meta).
      • Note: these were also hypothetical numbers just to make maths easy. Shivering isn't making 30 mil raw mesos on one account, it's a combination of multiple accounts and multiple channels, so I can't really just easily adopt his numbers. I just made up a nice to use number in relation to apple prices :D
    Combining the two things above is how I got to my conclusions, and hopefully that elaborates a bit more. I also agree a lot with your second point, it's really important to discuss underlying assumptions, but sometimes its hard to get all that out in the beginning without overwhelming most people. But that's why collaborative discussion is so important, because we can direct our conversation towards these important matters down the line.

I mean this genuinely but thanks for your reply ^^

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1