1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Next event and new players

Discussion in 'Rejected' started by thewayman, Oct 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thewayman

thewayman Horny Mushroom

Sep 21, 2019
    Male
    7:54 AM
    TheWayMan
    Dragon Knight
    As someone that just started (currently level 58 I think) I would like to make some suggestions.

The Ice Boxes: need to be in the game for the remainder of the server, what I mean by this is we should constantly have something similar to it in the game because if it didn't help me out in the beginning idk if I would have wanted to play. I get we want to be as close to GMS as possible but I like this idea and it helped make those extremely boring levels early on that are so hard easy just selling a couple ice cream pops to get some white pots etc. You can do this in many different ways, with Halloween use candy baskets, Christmas use Christmas baskets or presents, new years and so on Easter, I mean it just makes it way more enjoyable and would help out a lot of new players.

Araint maps: are very weird, they all need to be buffed, it makes no sense sand giants are spawning so much yet every other map has like 8 mobs lol. To me this looks like it was heavily nerfed and the only this this did was hurt players 30-40. So I think we should restore or buff them to a different state, this just hurts new players and I am not sure why it is like this. These maps won't change the meta at all just helps with some of the boring levels of 30-40. That is my opinion but we will see.

Fishing event and exp event: These are really awesome, the drop/exp event etc needs to stay but not as like a perma thing, either keep a 10% exp increase and drop rate or do a mixed event where you collect candy from monsters and trade it in for a buff that last 2 hours, or 1 hour maybe and have it require 1000 candies maybe? The fishing event was really fun I got all kinds of goodies and it helped me have a start in MR, when it could have been harder. Again just my opinion because I am a new player it just made the server way more enjoyable.

I feel that I can't suggest much more right now, the only issue I have with this server is that GS2 is full lol, it is hard because people stay there til 90 so priest never leave, we have a populated server and I mean I love the map the exp is insane I don't know what adding one more cc will do or two or how hard that is for the server to accomplish. But it does seem most spots are always taken from what I have been told about wolf spiders himes skellys all of it, so it will make training harder for me because I have a limited window.

2. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    1:54 PM
    Moderator Post
    "The fishing event was really fun I got all kinds of goodies and it helped me have a start in MR"

Stopped reading here and knew enough. F3

• Like Like x 2
  3. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    5:54 AM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I think a lot of these problems you are having are because of a lack of game knowledge, not because of how difficult the server is.

Anyways i have mixed feelings about basically having permanent events. It's really good for the economy and playerbase but it feels like something that is a bandaid fix to a bigger problem, kind of like the government lowering interest rates to stimulate the economy. When the rates reach zero what do you do?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    thewayman

thewayman Horny Mushroom

Sep 21, 2019
    Male
    TheWayMan
    Dragon Knight
    Haha thanks yall, just saying it helped me from a "new players perspective" I actually got a WS from gach, the fishing didn't get me anything just fun and helped, I like the boat times being halved that is another thing I think should stay, I do agree we should have a similar event maybe make things more "rare" or make the exchange rate higher like the 200 points. I think that this game is in a healthy direction but I don't know about the merching it seems pretty favored some people control way too much of the free market. I have amazing game knowledge so I think I am fine I got past 30-50 easily. I just think it would be more enjoyable with that change is all like I said just my perspective.

5. MrPresident

MrPresident Capt. Latanica

Dec 19, 2017
    8:54 AM
    MrPresident
    Spearman
    Can’t help but laugh when new players say it’s a hard game but they’ve already gached a ws. Try playing almost 2 years and never gaching one MapleF7. I agree with akash it’s more of a lack of game knowledge for beginners.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Zooploop

Zooploop Master Chronos

Aug 15, 2018
    Male
    Crusader
    I agree that boat times could be perma halved, it just cuts down on dead time so I can get to doing something faster.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fishy

Fishy Skelegon Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    is it staying? ;)

8. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    Spill the deets, we know you got em.

9. Fishy

Fishy Skelegon Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    youre handsome af

10. theKatia

theKatia Capt. Latanica

Apr 29, 2017
    Female
    2:54 PM
    Asteracea
    Bowmaster
    Funk
    While joining a new server is exciting and inspiring...
    Please refrain from making from making detailed and ambitious suggestion threads until you are at least decently familiar with the community and the market.

You should probably join a guild, make friends, and talk these things over with them. This is a community driven server and there's already a lot of help for new players from within the community.

I will also note, about GS maps being impossibly full (which is actually a legitimate concern if it's as bad as it sounds) that outside of events the game is a bit less active, so there's not much point in adding another channel only to have it feel extra and dry after 10 days.

Also, MR?!?! [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. ahotbanana

ahotbanana Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    12:54 PM
    Ice boxes: completely unnecessary. I don't even understand why people need the charity stuff on this server, either. I started out and earned my own way through drops from monsters. Unless you're actively managing your HP or MP poorly, you should always be making more money from monster drops than you're spending on pots. I'd also advise to skip out on keeping your armor up to date in the earlier levels. It doesn't make much of a difference and is basically just a waste of money to buy an equip to use for 5 levels.

Ariant maps: I've literally never been to Ariant so can't really comment.

Fishing event and exp event: I agree that the event is awesome, but having event related stuff on permanently would be ludicrous. People play on this server over a certain other server because we prefer the lower rates of this server (among other things). Gachapon drops are permanent, though, so if you're looking for drops from all monsters that you can collect, gach tickets are for you.

As for GS2, I've never seen it be a massive problem on this server. You do encounter times when all of the channels are full (also, please, for the love of fuck, don't say cc to mean channel. cc=change channel. ch=channel. There is only one C in channel. This winds me up more than it should) but in these situations, you can go to Pac Pinkies or Jr Selkies and the exp is almost as good. 9/10 times when I do head to GS2, though, I get a channel, so I don't know what you're complaining about, really.

All in all, I think it comes down to what Katia has said: it's kind of rude to come into a community and immediately suggest pretty significant changes to the game like this before you've even really established yourself into the community/game world at all.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I think Katie and hot banana are over reacting. It's just a suggestion post. Just because someone is new doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to make detailed suggestion posts.

What if they have good insight on something that could significantly better the server?

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. ahotbanana

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    I didn't mean to imply he's a terrible person or anything, but I just kind of feel it implies a certain degree of narcissism that someone would come into a server, get to 5x and think they've come to amazing conclusions about ways to rebalance things for the better that no one in the four year lifespan of the server has ever considered. When it comes to a game like MapleStory, the slightest change can have very large, rippling effects through other facets of the game. Without understanding how the game works, and possibly more importantly, how the community plays it, you're unlikely to come up with suggestions that are actually of any benefit.
    Rather than immediately jumping to "I find this hard. Change it to be easier.", it would be better to ask people "I had trouble with x, does the server have anything in place to help with that or is there a different way I could play that would make this less of a challenge?". If no good solution is provided, then maybe post a suggestion thread if you have a solution that you don't think will break the game in any way.

I am, of course, judging the guy on a very limited interaction here, so I'm happy to admit that I'm at least also an ass

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    1:54 PM
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    THIS BUT A HUNDRED BILLION TIMES

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. OP
    OP
    thewayman

thewayman Horny Mushroom

Sep 21, 2019
    Male
    TheWayMan
    Dragon Knight
    Sorry everyone I have been quite busy, I think that you say me having a lack of game knowledge is quite insulting considering I have played since v30 of GMS. I think I am just saying that imagine someone is new to maplestory and they try this server, they would be more included to royals due to how stupidly easy it is, the events don't make the game SUPER easy, it simply makes it more enjoyable to a new player. I am really trying to help the player base more so than the community, look at it like a marketing campaign if they put "events year round" or something like that. If you want to really say that a new player doesn't know much about the game that is fine but don't consider that I don't have a huge amount of knowledge and hours into old school maple. Trust me on that I have more hours than you on maple esp in OSM. I played more than I should have and I am not proud of it. I just want to help the server grow, and I think this could make a huge impact for new players. When you want to help maplestory grow as a game you'd agree, and more so to help the server. Look I honestly can't explain this any more to anyone you either get it and understand what is good for the server or you don't and want to stay in a bubble. Sometimes it isn't just about the game itself, sometimes it is about the players and how we are drawn into the game and what keeps them attached to an enjoyable environment. But go ahead I am sure 5 ice cream pops is breaking the game for new players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ahotbanana

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    I wasn't going to say anything more, but I'm having trouble getting to sleep and this is something to do so what the hell?

What you and a lot of other new people fail to realise when suggesting things like this is that a lot of these changes (that make the game easier or more accessible to new players) are the exact kind of change that players moved to ML to get away from. While you're probably right that new players getting access to 5 free pots every now and then won't be game breaking in any way, you're missing the point. A big part of the appeal of this server is that you don't get handed things like that and actually need to think about where your money will be coming from. You need to think about which quests you can do that will reward you with pots and you need to think about whether completely replacing your armour every 5 levels is actually worth the dent it put in your finances. For a lot of people, myself included, moving from a position of financial insecurity to one of stability is a really satisfying part of the game. I'd hate to see new players deprived of that and I actually see it as a downside to events that they break new players away from it.

You may have played maple since v30 but that still leaves you with a lack of knowledge of things that are specific to ML. As I said before, you should be asking if there is anything in place already that solves the "problem" before suggesting solutions. In this case, there is. If getting over that hump isn't something that you think you'd enjoy and you want to skip over that experience, there is a community driven charity service that will provide you with more than enough money to last you well into 3x, by which time, you should be very comfortably earning money. This is even advertised on the MapleLegends homepage. Having it be optional like this means that people who want the satisfaction of knowing they've earned everything themselves (a very common mindset on this server) can get that, and people who don't, can get a free pass through some early game struggles.

I do want to see the server grow, but not at the expense of its values. While these changes may very well drive up the playerbase (though I seriously doubt it) they would, albeit in a very small way, diminish the experience that this server was created for.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. theKatia

theKatia Capt. Latanica

Apr 29, 2017
    Female
    2:54 PM
    Asteracea
    Bowmaster
    Funk
    Hey man, I'm just trying to give a friendly warning to new players to prevent flame wars and such.
    You know the type.
    Over the last year there has been some unexplainable influx of kids coming in fresh from GMS v2750 and other handout private servers, getting a culture shock, and then proposing a vast list of wild changes to fit what they're used to. Instead of adjusting like in any other game. Maybe it didn't deserve the bright red warning font but isn't it better to get a warning than to swim in sarcastic comments?

Anyway, I had thought "MR" was an innocent typo but maybe I should have taken the hint as kimmy did.

18. Xeph

Xeph Horny Mushroom

Jun 15, 2017
    Male
    8:54 PM
    Xeph
    Bishop
    I think what they meant was that you didn’t have sufficient ML game knowledge, rather than MapleStory in general. Afterall, the economy and game mode of OSM and ML revolves very differently (one being 3rd job heavy, the other 4th job given how long this server has been up).

Your first character tends to be the hardest, as well as the slowest. When I first started, I felt the same way, but then I realized it got way easier once you get past the phase of financial insecurity.

Yeah GS2 is full, but there are GS1 and 5 available too. The EXP is almost the same, albeit 10% less per hour or sth (depending on class too) . I don’t see why you have to get so frustrated over GS2. In fact, sharing map gives a heck ton more of EXP, if many would not choose to afk heal.

• Like Like x 1
  19. OP
    OP
    thewayman

thewayman Horny Mushroom

Sep 21, 2019
    Male
    TheWayMan
    Dragon Knight
    I agree Xeph the GS channel thing is very minimal and GS 1 and 5 and even MP3 are very very good maps.
    Now for Banana, and Katia I honestly don't get why yall are quite upset, you can't assume everyone is like the next person making a suggestion. Also if everyone really wanted to complain about my suggestions and how meso stability remove PQ's they make the game super easy. Honestly MR to some point is still dumb easy you get a gach and you can get a WS instantly. So just relax, not everyone is going to think like you and want the same gameplay as MR or GMS or ML. A mixture of all types if good, we all know GMS was garbage P2W. We know MR is Vote to win, MR is fine where it is at but what I am suggesting is that we allow players to experience a more fun gameplay that doesn't break the game and helps the economy a bunch. People will quit if they suck at maplestory and can't figure out how to grind and get meso. I get that I am new to ML but I fail to see the huge gameplay difference between GMS and ML, I mean isn't the point suppose to be LIKE GMS, but different? I feel that you are saying "we don't like the way maple is played in that sense" "we want maple our way no other way". Well here is the thing people that have played for a while normally don't deal with the 1-100 aspect of the game if you have been playing for so long and still have low level characters you are the one doing something wrong. Honestly think about what I am saying and ask yourself if year-round events is really THAT bad of an idea. Are you a new player? No, it would be hard for someone to understand what it is like joining the game after playing it for years because we are use to one METHOD or type of gameplay aspect. Maybe it is about time yall "veterans" of ML listen to the new players before they all keep leaving. Like I said either you get it or you don't and clearly you don't sadly.. Me and the "new" players will just play and not suggest anything ever(because ya know people who are NEW have a NEW perspective on things).

20. ahotbanana

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    It all comes down to the fact that this is entirely subjective. The people who play on this server and who are attracted to this server have a different idea of what will be fun in this game than you clearly do. You keep talking about and comparing this server to Royals. This server isn't Royals. If we wanted a more Royals-like game, we would be playing on Royals.

You're the one who doesn't get it. There already exists a server with the coddling that you're looking for. That server is the one you keep rabbiting on about: Royals. This server is aiming for a different experience to what Royals is going for. Yes, Royals is more popular as a result of being more casual, but for those of us who don't want that kind of game, we don't want to see the server turn into a clone of Royals.

At no point did I say that you should never suggest anything at all. Stop strawmaning. What I said is that you should ask the community if there is anything in place to solve whatever "problem" you think there is before making suggestions. The fact of the matter is that we have a community driven charity service that allows people to experience the game whichever way they want on the server. You can either work towards financial security yourself or you can take 400k from the charity. YOU failed to find that out before suggesting a different "solution" to the same "problem". Without that existing, your suggestion could make sense, but because it does exist, your suggestion actually limits players in their choice of their experience in the game. This is what I'm talking about when I say you should get more involved in the community and get a grasp of how the community plays the game before suggesting things.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.