1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

NX Clothes: Cancel Gender Dichotomy

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Distance, Jan 8, 2016.

Do you agree?

1. Yeah!!! ^__^

45 vote(s)
    84.9%
  2. No >:(

8 vote(s)
    15.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boggyb

Boggyb Master Chronos

Jul 28, 2015
    Male
    9:21 PM
    Pauldaniels
    Bishop
    Misfits
    Holy Shit this poll ratio. Kimberly on suicide watch pls.

2. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    10:21 PM
    Moderator Post
    What do you even talk about exactly?

• Like Like x 4
  3. Sucre

Sucre Zakum

Apr 21, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    5:21 PM
    Sucre
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    There are some 13-14 year old players, just saying :whistling:

Main post got editted, so this comment is useless.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  4. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    2:21 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    I think the only thing this would really be good for is bath towels. But I'd rather just have a NPC that can convert bathrobe for male into bathrobe for female while keeping all stats and slots the same.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Number32

Number32 Skelegon Retired Staff

Jul 3, 2015
    Male
    The Netherlands
    Smores
    Bishop
    Demure
    'NX Clothes: Cancel Gender Dichotomy'

• Like Like x 2
  6. Poofcakes

Poofcakes Pizzatarian Retired Staff

May 8, 2015
    Female
    The Netherlands
    This suggestion is not about something that changes the mechanics of this game, it's about cosmetics.
    If you want this you should probably post a suggestion thread of your own.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Sure whatever. Shoot down another perfectly good suggestion then, I don't care.

8. OP
    OP
    Distance

Distance Dark Stone Golem

Jan 23, 2015
    Male
    11:21 PM
    Seriously though. Does anyone who voted no want to explain his reasons?

9. Clown

Clown Zakum

Jun 27, 2015
    Male
    The Netherlands
    Unknown
    Night Lord
    โœชCircusโœช
    Well I kinda would like to hear reasons why not... When it doesnt hurt anyone and helps some I think its a good idea ;).

• Like Like x 3
  10. Togain

Togain Orange Mushroom

Sep 28, 2015
    Horntail's Cave
    3:21 PM
    Togain
    Dark Knight
    EDIT: The main post edits are real

My point is: I think the idea that this would have damaging effects on younger people is asinine, ESPECIALLY considering the other things that go on in this server.

Having that as a potential reason not to implement it seems completely unnecessary.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  11. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    I voted no, thought about it more, almost wanted to change it to Yes, but I'm still going no. It's hard to even really say why. I guess I just don't think that's the way maple should be. Males should be male, females should be females, and it should be somewhat possible to differentiate between the two at least.

Like ask yourself... is it even worth it? How many people that voted Yes are actually going to use it? People are so serious about how they spend their nx sometimes. If you do crossdress, is it going to be a one-time joke thing that eventually people get bored of and no one cares? I don't think it's worth it.

On the other hand, if it's a more permanent thing... because you really want your male character to look female... why not just make a female character?

12. Togain

Togain Orange Mushroom

Sep 28, 2015
    Horntail's Cave
    Togain
    Dark Knight
    It's not a matter of crossdressing as a joke or breaking down the gender binary, I don't think it even reaches that point in this context. It's more about having the freedom to dress how you want. There's plenty of cool NX items which are gender-restricted for seemingly no reason.

You said it yourself: "just make a female character," and that's what most people do, myself included. You already can't tell from a glance whether somebody is male or female based on their character in-game, that's unreliable. So what does it matter if all of a sudden every character can wear this one group of pixels that they like more than things that are available to "their gender".

I can't possibly imagine how you could care this much about it.

And, seriously? The "Males should be males and females should be females" part is such an ignorant thing to inject into this dialogue about video games. Jesus christ...

• Like Like x 7
  13. catty

catty Brown Teddy

Aug 22, 2015
    1:21 PM
    There are like 3 female only HATS that I want . . . HATS

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    My opinions have absolutely nothing to do with whatever a person's gender is in real life.

It's that male characters should actually seem male, and female characters should seem female.

This isn't real life, so no one has to struggle with gender identity or what they were born as but maybe actually feel differently as. So what I'm saying is that if you want a character that identifies as male, just choose male. If you want a character that identifies as female, choose female.

15. Togain

Togain Orange Mushroom

Sep 28, 2015
    Horntail's Cave
    Togain
    Dark Knight
    Please stop saying this, I don't know what you're even getting at honestly. Why? Oh, right. Because you just don't think that's the way it should be. Do you have an actual valid reason, or...?

Meanwhile the main post and a few others in this thread have plenty of reasons why it should be implemented, if you want to reread those.

You've completely missed the purpose of this suggestion, then. If this is how you see it then you're clearly just not capable of comprehending what's being suggested here.

Without wasting everybody's time and going further off-topic, what's being discussed is removing gender restrictions on NX cosmetics, not gender identity.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    TogainTogain

Hey, people were practically begging for an explanation for why we voted no. I didn't post here to get a verbal lashing. You have no right dictating who's opinions are valid or not. I understand completely what the suggestion is, but my preference is still no. I think it's you that doesn't understand where I'm coming from. It doesn't mean you have to agree with me, but you should stop dragging real life into this. And if you think I'm the one dragging real life into the conversation? Then obviously you're misunderstanding me.

It's seriously not a big deal to me, unlike for you, who seems incredibly offended and offensive for some reason. Really, to me this is on the same level as extra skin colors and special treatment for over-leveled beginner characters and islanders.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Togain

Togain Orange Mushroom

Sep 28, 2015
    Horntail's Cave
    Togain
    Dark Knight
    You're right, I am offended. Your ham-fisted post angered me because it was bursting at the seams with ignorance.

This is a big deal to me, and I'm not going to just let you say things like that without any kind of response.

18. OP
    OP
    Distance

Distance Dark Stone Golem

Jan 23, 2015
    Male
    11:21 PM
    Well, I think that dealing with this issue, brings up a stronger dilemma which is: "Should there be a any kind of minimal visual difference between male and female characters?"
    When by "any kind of minimal visual difference" I mean, something that helps the viewer determine the gender of the character that's whooping mushie butts next to him.

Realistically speaking, I have no idea about today's academic approach to gender. However, I can only morally assume that we can't destroy the physical differences between the two genders, genders should be eternally identified by these two factors: feeling and body parts. There needs to be a minimal difference between males and females so that people who have done surgery to change their gender won't be considered out of touch with reality. But this minimal difference is already authentically represented in the game by your character's whities: pink or blue, assuming you chose your preferred gender when you created your character. And that's as far as we can go in a non-intimate game.

If crossdressed characters prevent you from knowledge of a person's gender and therefore confuse you, you know you can always ask him about his gender. In cases in which your relationship with a person is not intimate, it isn't relevant for you to know his gender. If it isn't relevant and you can't find pure reason for why it should be, perhaps you just shouldn't ask that person about his gender and mind your own business.

Put this gender Mumbo-Jumbo aside, what can be so bad about letting people dress however they want? If a man can wear a dress in the street when he wishes to, why is he stopped from doing so here by the game code?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Morality has nothing to do with this because... again, I have not been talking about real life at all. What gender you are or identify in real life with.. I don't care. I never ask people.

I just think this is a waste of time and energy when staff could be implementing other things. Better ideas for wz like converting each of the normal equips into their own form of wz.. or far more important things like ... Magatia. or APQ. CWKPQ. Ulu city?

I won't really care if it gets implemented or not... but I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be less frequently used than Islander Rankings. And you know how I feel about islanders, right? There's always people that ask for special treatment for islanders and super beginners, even though that's the road they chose. But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter if their suggestion passes or not because all it amounts to is catering to an extremely small subset of players who don't really care about their character and actually play very little compared to anyone else.

20. Jackii Kon

Jackii Kon Dark Stone Golem

Sep 21, 2015
    Male
    Dragon Knight
    :(
    M-Magatia?! PogChamp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.