1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Offensive CashShop Content (Rant)

Discussion in 'Rejected' started by mazi, Aug 31, 2017.

Should "Popular Boy" and "Popular Girl" be removed from CashShop?

1. Yes

10.5%
  2. No

78.9%
  3. Other

10.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mazi

mazi Mushmom

Aug 23, 2017
    Male
    Soundcloud
    3:06 AM
    mazi
    Beginner
    If you go to the CashShop, and go to the DONOR Tab, under Effect Category, there are two items that I take a great offense to, and I am sure there are plenty others like me who are offended by these two items but just do not have the will to create a post standing up against the removal of these two items. That's what my mission for this forum post is: to get these two items taken down from the CashShop and removed from the game.

Namely, they are "Popular Boy" and "Popular Girl".

If you double-click either of them, you can see a preview of the effect in the top left corner of your screen, where several characters of corresponding gender can be seen next to your character, depending on which gender you selected. For example, if you clicked "Popular Boy", 4 girls will spawn next to you, and vice versa.

I find these two items to be unforgivably offensive as they are pushing the traditional gender roles of attraction. Why can a popular boy attract only girls? Why should a popular girl only attract guys? The year is 2017, and people have alternative sexual preferences. Is this really the way MapleLegends chooses to represent itself?

Same-gender marriage is already a thing on here, and I agree it has been a great step forward for people with alternative sexual preferences such as myself. However, stumbling across these two items in the CashShop today has placed me back to feeling sorrow, as if no progress has been made for the LGBT community within MapleLegends since launch.

I know certainly this isnt the case, and the staffs on here have gradually became more safe-space oriented and protective of their player-base. This is why I ask for us to take another step forward, into gender equality, into more open-mindedness for sexual preferences, and into political correctness and awareness.

I petition for "Popular Boy" and "Popular Girl" to be removed from the CashShop.

• Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. nanop33

nanop33 Capt. Latanica

Jun 29, 2015
    Male
    Canada
    4:06 AM
    Retroviridae
    Shadower
    Beaters
  3. Taida

Taida Mixed Golem

May 30, 2017
    Female
    NYC
    6:06 AM
    Solstice
    you

4. Poofcakes

Poofcakes Pizzatarian Retired Staff

May 8, 2015
    Female
    The Netherlands
    12:06 PM
    The girls in the popular boy effect and the guys in the popular girl effect just happen to be straight.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. deribou

deribou Skelegon

Nov 17, 2015
    liesdotcom
    Marksman
  6. wokkie

wokkie Mushmom

Apr 18, 2017
    Male
    Banned
    if you get offended by this just neck yourself.

• Agree Agree x 7
  7. brethis

brethis Orange Mushroom

Apr 7, 2017
    Male
    We are in 2017 but this post is already too much 2018.

8. theKatia

theKatia Capt. Latanica

Apr 29, 2017
    Female
    1:06 PM
    Asteracea
    Bowmaster
    Funk
    :eek:
    :vomit:
    I'm very much LGBT and I don't get offended by straight people. I literally don't know what else to say. If equal marriage means nothing to you in the face of an effect existing that some people might enjoy then I think your priorities and YOUR political awareness are the things that need progress. There are plenty of items in the cash shop that I don't connect to, I just move on to better options. But why take away something some people might like?

tl;dr this^

I'm kind of hoping this post was a joke...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Eeko

Eeko Timer

Apr 12, 2015
    Male
    Supremacy
    Night Lord
    Beaters
    lol people take offense to the stupidest things these days holy...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Piety

Piety (ㆆᴗㆆ)/ Retired Staff

Apr 4, 2017
    Centaur & Chaste
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    That's my initial thought though I'm still undecided.

• Like Like x 1
  12. nanop33

nanop33 Capt. Latanica

Jun 29, 2015
    Male
    Canada
    4:06 AM
    Retroviridae
    Shadower
    Beaters
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. TheDude

TheDude Selkie Jr.

Jun 13, 2016
    Male
    Canada, eh?
    Prometheus/1979/Starkiller
    this is why i dont agree with the left (i also dont agree with the right), sjw's who insist on forcing their views on others, ex. bill c-16 in canada. all i can say is, it is not offensive, and its all on your head. lets not bring social problems into a game, seriously...
    maple is about dieing to orange mushrooms cuz they are op as fuck. not about what cosmetic item offends you the most...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Melli

Melli Blue Snail

Jul 11, 2017
    Female
    This is ridiculous. Okay, you are a boy, maybe you want boys around you, so just choose the Popular Girl thing and you are fine. It's the right name for probably 99% of all players. But you think they should be removed just because they have a name that isn't a good fit for some individuals. Do you think they only have the right to exist if there are 2 extra cash shop items with a better name especially made for people with alternative sexual preferences although they have completely the same functionality as the other 2? I hate stupid political correctness. Just because something isn't there doesn't automatically mean it is in any way offensive. Everything could be seen as offensive if you think long enough about it. Why is a particular shirt only available in pink and not in blue? Why has x this name and not another name? Why can you only choose between Popular Boy and Popular Girl - what is with older people who would like to have Popular Grandma and Popular Grandpa? And oh, I'm totally offended by your name mazi, it reminds me of nazi, so please delete your account so I don't have to see this name anymore. ;) I think we can all agree that these items in the cash shop aren't meant to be offensive and your name isn't meant to be offensive, too (at least I hope so).

15. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Hello,

Thank you for bringing up this wonderful suggestion in attempts to make the MapleLegends™ experience even better. Back about a year ago I had a similar thought with the 'My boyfriend' and 'My girlfriend' sign. Why do one of them only point left and only one of them point right? Why can't they both point left and right, doesn't Neckson allow 2 girls or boys pointing a sign my BF/GF sign at each other? They probably didn't, which made the gameplay of MapleStory™ unplayable. Literally unplayable.

Thus, I asked our beautiful pixel artist, SlimeSlime to create a sign that both point left and right, and now we have a my boyfriend that points left and right and same for my girlfriend. Suddenly my experience was much better and everything felt much more satisfying. The game was suddenly no longer unplayable and only thanks to this wonderful creation by SlimeSlime this became the best server. No competition.

Looking at your suggestion you've made I've noticed you got feedback in regards of the Popular Girl and Popular Boy effect item found in our Donor Shop of the MapleLegends™ Cash Shop.

You believe that because there's only girls on popular boy and boys on popular girl its implied that boys are only allowed to get girls and girls only allowed to get boys.

I understand the observation you've got from this, but it could very well be like PoofcakesPoofcakes mentions that the beautiful boy or girl wearing the effect is attracting females, while the girl only males. Therefor, I do not believe that this effect is directly implying any offensive remarks, unlike the Boyfriend/Girlfriend sign, so I personally voted that this item should not be changed.

• Great Work Great Work x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. OP
    OP
    mazi

mazi Mushmom

Aug 23, 2017
    Male
    Soundcloud
    mazi
    Beginner
    Are you attacking me

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  17. Rod

Rod Selkie Jr.

Apr 18, 2015
    Male
    Hawaii
    11:06 AM
    You could suggest adding like a mixed gender Popular Boy and Popular Girl if you feel like it's necessary. Either way, I don't understand how it could be offensive, but even if you feel offended by it, I'm sorry to hear that, just know this probably won't be changed seeing that even the staff of the game is mocking your post (also some of them are not heterosexual and they still added it to the game, so I suppose they don't see it as offensive as you do).

• Like Like x 1
  18. Camille

Camille Master Chronos

May 12, 2017
    Female
    USA
    5:06 AM
    Camille
    Warrior
    Muse
    Yes

• Friendly Friendly x 1