1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Playing Maple Legends on a Linux Box, The Guide.

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Latte, Aug 11, 2015.

1. SYLegend

SYLegend Dark Stone Golem

Mar 6, 2015
    Male
    12:37 PM
    In case somebody runs in to the same problem:

I had this working for about a year but recently couldn't get it to work anymore on a new pc. I thought that I followed the guide exactly but actually made one mistake that I think prevented the game from starting up. My .wine/drive_c/system32 directory already had a ws2_32.dll so I didn't replace it with the one in the guide. But apparently the one you can download in the guide is actually different and is the only one that will make the game work. So you have to replace that file even if it already exists.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Raff

Raff Red Snail

Oct 28, 2017
    Male
    7:37 AM
    TommyPickles
    Cleric
    Simply running another wine MapleLegendsWindowed.exe does the trick for me.

3. notaki

notaki Mushmom

Oct 4, 2015
    Male
    Dominican Republic
    Johel
    Hermit
    I believe I fixed it by changing these settings:
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/so-this-happened.6230/#post-55255

4. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    4:37 AM
    I/L Arch Mage
  5. Sarina

Sarina Brown Teddy

Feb 28, 2018
    Female
    Sarina
    EDIT: OUTDATED!

Tested on my Laptop and it works great :)

Antergos Linux (Based on 4.16.3-1-ARCH)
    Cinnamon Version 3.6.7
    Intel© Core™ i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz x 2 (With Intel HD 3000)

Driver Configuration:
    wine-gaming-nine (based on wine 3.6-1 staging)
    mono 5.10.1.47-1
    xboxdrv (PS3 / XBOX gamepad drivers)
    antimicro (very similar to Joy2Key)

Wine Configuration:
    MapleLegendsWindowed.exe - Windows 98
    [ ] Enable_CSMT for better graphics performance (deprecated)
    [o] Enable_VAAPI as backend for DXVA2 GPU decoding
    [o] Enable Environmental Audio Extensions (EAX)
    [o] Hide Wine version from applications
    [ ] Enable_GTK3 Theming
    [o] Enable Gallium Nine for better D3D9 graphics performance

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  6. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    8:37 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    I'm trying to figure out some stuff for the Mac client, was wondering if you (or any other Linux users) had any issues at bosses like Zakum or stuff. People have always been reporting a GFX issue (screen freezes mid way through the run). So I'm trying to look into it, since I think it might be a Wine issue~

7. Sarina

Sarina Brown Teddy

Feb 28, 2018
    Female
    Sarina
    I've been having that client freezing issue even on Windows 7 / 10 not sure what causes it but changing the graphics from high to low every 20 mins seems to fix it

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    • Like Like x 1
  9. telemachus

telemachus Horny Mushroom

Feb 4, 2019
    null
    null
    Beginner
    null
    works fine for me on arch having only installed vcrun6sp6 using winetricks, since it's needed to run the installer. i don't even have to set it to windows 98, windows 10 works as well it seems (the ws2*.dll files are necessary though). i do, however, advise installing corefonts (or simply allfonts) to get real good-lookin' fonts in-game. the only arch packages i had to install were wine-staging-nine, winetricks, wine_gecko, and wine-mono. god damn arch packagers just had to be inconsistent with their use of snake_case and kebab-case

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Kushim

Kushim Red Snail

Mar 10, 2019
    Male
    6:37 AM
    Kushim
    Assassin
    Hey I really want to play MapleLegends but im new to Linux and ive tried to run it using wine but for some reason i cant get it to work. Ive managed to install it and i saw the maplelegend installer, it even made a folder inside my .wine carpet but when i go inside of the folder the maplestory.exe is not the maple icon and when y try to run it using terminal with wine it just makes tons of lines of code saying that some files are not found, im not sure if i did it correctly. Hope somebody can help me to get it done, im using Linux mint by the way. Thanks

11. Kushim

Kushim Red Snail

Mar 10, 2019
    Male
    Kushim
    Assassin
    Hello i need help to install it im new to linux and ive managed to run the installer and kind of install the game. i even have my own carpet with the game data in my .wine path but i need help running it. Thanks and by the way i use linux mint

12. telemachus

Feb 4, 2019
    null
    null
    Beginner
    null
    Code:
    export WINEPREFIX=~/.legends
    export WINEARCH=win32
    winetricks win7
    winetricks -q vcrun6sp6
    wine MapleLegendsFeb2202019.exe
    winetricks win98
    cp ws2*.dll ~/.legends/drive_c/windows/system32/
    cd ~/.legends/drive_c/MapleLegends
    wine MapleLegendsWindowed.exe
    you'll have to supply the actual paths for the MapleLegendsFeb2202019.exe and ws2*.dll files.

13. Kushim

Kushim Red Snail

Mar 10, 2019
    Male
    Kushim
    Assassin
    I have my MapleLegendsFeb2202019.exe in a different carpet. I used wine to start it and it created a separate folder located at my .wine folder. The ws2.dll file im guessing is the one i had to download from media fire so i have that one located in a different folder, the one specified in the thread at my (.wine/driver_c/windows/system32 ) folder. The MapleLegends one was created automatically in my .wine/driver_c/MapleLegends So in summary i have a folder where i initially downloaded de MapleLegendFeb... then i started it and it created a new folder with all the MapleLegends files like Data, canvas.dll, Setup.exe, MapleLegendswindowed.exe, etc. But there are no maple icons to run, the maplelegends.exe has a regular exe looking icon but there was a quick access file created on my desktop which actually has a maple icon i thought that i would only need to run that one but it actually made nothing. So i tried to start the maplelegends.exe file with this command wine start

14. Kushim

Kushim Red Snail

Mar 10, 2019
    Male
    Kushim
    Assassin
    but nothing happens. I think the best option is maybe uninstalling it and trying to do it again step by step with instructions made for like a really noob linux user. Im trying to learn day by day but i guess i still have tons to learn...

15. telemachus

Feb 4, 2019
    null
    null
    Beginner
    null
    well it's not one file, hence the glob. ws2*.dll matches any string that starts with ws2, has zero or more characters after that, and then .dll after that. the actual names of the files are ws2_32.dll and ws2help.dll

the commands i posted are intended to be a start-to-finish guide to running the game. if you successfully ran the installer and copied those two DLLs into the system32 directory, you can just

Code:
    cd $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/MapleLegends
    wine MapleLegendsWindowed.exe

16. Kushim

Kushim Red Snail

Mar 10, 2019
    Male
    Kushim
    Assassin
    ok i did the first line you send me, the second line i also managed to do it but when i tried to do winetricks wine7 it pops an error saying that the application is 64 bit and im running a 34 bit, so i had to change it back to 64 bits and ai kept doing the other steps and managed to do all, i copied the files to the specified .legends/system32 path and when i cd to the maplelegends folder and tried to execute the windowed.exe my terminal just kept running and never opened maplestory. Im guessing that it may be due to the 32 bit issue, my doubt here is if my cpu is running linux in 64 bit why do i have to copy the to system32 or how i do to run it with the 32 bit prefix?? Any thoughts? Thanks for replying so fast and with such great info.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  17. Hito

Hito Stone Golem

May 4, 2017
    Straya
    7:37 PM
    Ainu
    Hermit
    Galaxy
    I've been doing some wine things myself and after getting wine to run Legends and closing the game the first time any subsequent relaunch will result in a black screen after I attempt to enter the game on the character select screen. The only fix is to reinstall completely and then I get my one launch.

Here are my steps:

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/Desktop/Home/Games/Legends winecfg
    WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/Desktop/Home/Games/Legends winetricks mfc42
    WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/Desktop/Home/Games/Legends wine ~/Desktop/Home/Games/Installers/MapleLegendsFeb2202019.exe
    WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/Desktop/Home/Games/Legends winecfg
    WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/Desktop/Home/Games/Legends cp ~/Desktop/Home/Games/Installers/ws2*.dll ~/Desktop/Home/Games/Legends/drive_c/windows/system32
    WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/Desktop/Home/Games/Legends winetricks d3dx11_42 d3dx11_43 d3dx9_26 d3dx9_28 d3dx9_31 d3dx9_35 d3dx9_39 d3dx9_42 d3dx9_43 dotnet20
    WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/Desktop/Home/Games/Legends winetricks corefonts tahoma consolas lucida cambria
    WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/Desktop/Home/Games/Legends wine ~/Desktop/Home/Games/Legends/drive_c/MapleLegends/MapleLegendsWindowed.exe

18. Kushim

Kushim Red Snail

Mar 10, 2019
    Male
    Kushim
    Assassin
    Ok so i erased everything made the Wine prefix again from scratch following every step, i managed to install the game after having to download some extra mfc42.dll that wine was asking for, i downloaded de ws2*.dll files and send them to my .legends/.../system32 etc.
    I basically did every step perfectly but the issue here is when i run the maplelegendswindowed.exe there seems to be an error with the ws*.dll files, something about using the native ones. I get this error exactly:

000f:err:service:process_send_command service protocol error - failed to write pipe!
    0009:err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'ws2_32.WahCloseApcHelper' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WS2HELP.dll". If you are using builtin L"WS2HELP.dll", try using the native one instead.
    0009:err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'ws2_32.WahOpenApcHelper' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WS2HELP.dll". If you are using builtin L"WS2HELP.dll", try using the native one instead.
    0009:err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'ws2_32.WahOpenHandleHelper' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WS2HELP.dll". If you are using builtin L"WS2HELP.dll", try using the native one instead.
    0009:err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'ws2_32.WahCloseSocketHandle' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WS2HELP.dll". If you are using builtin L"WS2HELP.dll", try using the native one instead.

19. telemachus

Feb 4, 2019
    null
    null
    Beginner
    null
    Code:
    000f:err:service:process_send_command service protocol error - failed to write pipe!
    seems weird

Code:
    0009:err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'ws2_32.WahCloseApcHelper' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WS2HELP.dll". If you are using builtin L"WS2HELP.dll", try using the native one instead.
    0009:err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'ws2_32.WahOpenApcHelper' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WS2HELP.dll". If you are using builtin L"WS2HELP.dll", try using the native one instead.
    0009:err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'ws2_32.WahOpenHandleHelper' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WS2HELP.dll". If you are using builtin L"WS2HELP.dll", try using the native one instead.
    0009:err:module:find_forwarded_export function not found for forward 'ws2_32.WahCloseSocketHandle' used by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\WS2HELP.dll". If you are using builtin L"WS2HELP.dll", try using the native one instead.

those messages are completely normal and i get them every time. in fact, there should be more like 24 of those messages, not 4.

you shouldn't have to do that since MFC comes with vcrun6/vcrun6sp6 (which you would have installed if you followed my instructions), and even if you did, you should use winetricks to install MFC, dont use some random-ass dlls you find on the internet unless you actually have to.

HitoHito what version of wine are you using

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  20. Hito

Hito Stone Golem

May 4, 2017
    Straya
    7:37 PM
    Ainu
    Hermit
    Galaxy
    4.0. I might use an upstream keg or something if I can. Using homebrew of course. As far as I know the development branch is unstable and on 4.3 a the moment with 4.0 being the latest stable.

I've tried simulating reboots with both wineboot and manually but it doesn't seem to yield a result, and assuming wineboot works as it should which I don't doubt I can only think that MapleStory must be writing a field or value somewhere that is borking it when it tries to enter the main game after a character has been selected. I don't know enough about how MapleStory functions as a binary to figure that out though.

I think as much because a fresh install works, only after it has ran once does it get borked such that an entire reinstall is required.