1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Playing Maple Legends on a Linux Box, The Guide.

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Latte, Aug 11, 2015.

1. telemachus

telemachus Horny Mushroom

Feb 4, 2019
    null
    8:26 AM
    null
    Beginner
    null
    yeah so i've been having some weird issues with 4.1 and 4.3, so i use 3.21-tkg (or whateverthefuck the Lutris version is called, think it's tkg)

ah, well i wouldn't exactly say "of course" since this is the "playing maplelegends on a linux box" thread, not the "playing maplelegends on a macOS box" thread

so i would change mfc42 to vcrun6sp6, as that seems to work for me and it includes mfc42 anyways

and directx stuff is gonna be useless here, so dont bother with that. dotnet20 might be necessary, but i recommend just using wine-mono instead since it tends to work better (and is free software anyways). you can try installing dotnet20 if that aint workin

i also would try changing the windows version to 98 since that's what seems to work for most people

also you dont have to set the $WINEARCH environment variable if the prefix already exists, so dont bother with that. and the $WINEPREFIX envvar can be exported into your current environment using the export keyword so you dont have to fkn type it every time

2. Hito

Hito Stone Golem

May 4, 2017
    Straya
    11:26 PM
    Ainu
    Hermit
    Galaxy
    I'll give that a shot.

Yeah forgot to announce I'm on macOS. FreeBSD and *nix are close enough in origin I suppose hehe.

Oh nice, I'll try that after the 4.0 -> 3.21-tkg if I can find or I'll have to compile that myself.

Gotcha.

Yeah it is using the win98 emulation at all times except for the installation which is winxp

Yeah I know it was just a script I wrote quickly in vscode, cmd + shift + l to copy the current line into a new line, was easier for me to spam that a few times than to reach over to the mouse lmao.

3. telemachus

Feb 4, 2019
    null
    null
    Beginner
    null
    well, FreeBSD is a *nix, and technically so is macOS since it's based on Darwin (which is, more specifically, a BSD, but is not the same thing as FreeBSD)

you can compile yourself (ive done it before) but that's kind of a pain in the asshole and is only really worth it if you are landing your own patches on it. instead what you wanna do is use a wine manager like PlayOnLinux (which, despite the name, supports macOS)

i use lutris and it makes it piss fucken easy to try any random-ass wine version, including ones with random-ass patches integrated into them. but lutris is linux-only so playonlinux is ya best bet

4. Hito

Hito Stone Golem

May 4, 2017
    Straya
    Ainu
    Hermit
    Galaxy
    wine-mono doesn't exist as a verb to install, instead going to try `forcemono`.

5. telemachus

Feb 4, 2019
    null
    null
    Beginner
    null
  6. Hito

Hito Stone Golem

May 4, 2017
    Straya
    Ainu
    Hermit
    Galaxy
    That's a tad embarrassing I missed that. Well, it started up but the same problem occurred. I'll try that build another time and bench this for now, if I am missing simple documentation no use trying to compile something.

7. telemachus

Feb 4, 2019
    null
    null
    Beginner
    null
    alright, well... if i'm being honest i've begun to strongly suspect that there is some deeper problem on my end, something to do with how the newer versions wine-mono and wine_gecko Arch packages work (or rather, don't work) with my system or something like that. so using a 3.x version of wine may be a red herring, but you can try it pretty easily anyways with PlayOnLinux i suppose

8. Hito

Hito Stone Golem

May 4, 2017
    Straya
    Ainu
    Hermit
    Galaxy
    I really need to sit down and have a proper play with Wine, it's akin to making a hackintosh it seems (as in it's very fiddly etc) which was something I used to do way back in the day for fun (not anymore). You know the old one-dayers where you try over and over to get something stable. I've also heard that some x11 features aren't patched into default compiled releases which I might mess around with but the default macOS quartz drivers work fine for me.

I think I'll stop talking about macOS stuff in this thread and make a new one when appropriate since this thread is very specifically Linux and while we're having a good chat it probably confuses those who come here for help.

9. telemachus

Feb 4, 2019
    null
    null
    Beginner
    null
    yeah wine can be very fiddly, but unfortunately it seems to me to be typically not wine's fault; you just sometimes have shitty spaghetti-code black-box binaries from 2008 that refuse to cooperate, and that's just how it be

10. Hito

Hito Stone Golem

May 4, 2017
    Straya
    Ainu
    Hermit
    Galaxy
    It is indeed, Wine seems very logical so far. Everything thats weird is as you say, from some black-box.

11. TheDude

TheDude Selkie Jr.

Jun 13, 2016
    Male
    Canada, eh?
    11:26 AM
    Prometheus/1979/Starkiller
  12. telemachus

Feb 4, 2019
    null
    null
    Beginner
    null
    ok, so i finally figured out what was wrong... apparently in some(?) cases Wine doesn't know to install mono/gecko, and that was why i couldnt get the game to work with any wine version from 3.3-staging to tkg-4.3

if you get the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library errors (and possibly other errors?), you'll have to run the *.msi files manually. since i'm on arch and have the wine-mono and wine_gecko packages installed, the commands i ran were:

Code:
    wine msiexec /i /usr/share/wine/mono/wine-mono-4.8.0.msi
    wine msiexec /i /usr/share/wine/gecko/wine_gecko-2.47-x86.msi

13. ONASSIS

ONASSIS Mushmom

Oct 9, 2019
    Male
    cojs
    Bowman
    hello,
    where do i find these ws2_32.dll and ws2help.dll ?
    can i take them from a working windows installation?

14. Tolios

Tolios Mano

Oct 23, 2019
    4:26 PM
    I tried to use the Lutris installer and manually, in both cases MapleLegends doesn't start. ( No error message )

15. Tolios

Tolios Mano

Oct 23, 2019
    UPDATE: Lutris installer seems to be broken but it works when done manually.

16. ONASSIS

ONASSIS Mushmom

Oct 9, 2019
    Male
    cojs
    Bowman
    explain the process please

17. Tolios

Tolios Mano

Oct 23, 2019
    I will probably fix the lutris installer since it is less error prone.
    So you probably won't have to do this.

Make a new wine prefix, install, vcrun6sp6 THEN MapleLegends.
    Use "winecfg" on the created Prefix: enable virtual desktop, and set Windows version to win98.
    Put "ws2_32.dll" and "ws2help.dll" in
    "WinePrefixLocation/drive_c/windows/system32" and in
    "WinePrefixLocation/drive_c/windows/syswow64" If you have wine 64-bit
    I got it from:
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...prefix-game-is-not-working.23705/#post-173299

18. Tolios

Tolios Mano

Oct 23, 2019
    Done, Lutris script updated. Geez that took far longer than I had anticipated.
    Now awaiting moderator approval for said script.

19. ONASSIS

ONASSIS Mushmom

Oct 9, 2019
    Male
    cojs
    Bowman
    where is that updated script? I have done everything in LinuxMint but no success yet

20. pars33

pars33 Snail

Oct 27, 2019
    Beginner
    I'm also using mint, tried the process manually and with the lutris installer, it's 'running' but nothing is really popping up

EDIT: It works now lol, for some reason the lutris installer was still using the old one that wasn't working for me before, I'm having full-screen issues now, but that's another issue for another time