1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Playing Maple Legends on a Linux Box, The Guide.

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Latte, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Quiet

Quiet Red Snail

Apr 26, 2018
    8:25 AM
    Sahil
    Cleric
    Okay, I got it working on Fedora 31. Luckily, wine does provide packages, so I didn't have to use binaries compiled from source.

Install wine-staging:
    Code:
    dnf config-manager --add-repo https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/fedora/31/winehq.repo
    dnf install wine-staging winetricks
    # IMPORTANT: Make sure you are using binaries provided by wine-staging and not Fedora
    export PATH="/opt/wine-staging/bin:$PATH"

It's important not to use binaries provided by Fedora: they don't work. However, installing winetricks will pull in wine-common, which installs the binaries.
    Code:
    $ which winecfg
    /opt/wine-staging/bin/winecfg

Install MapleLegends:
    Code:
    # Populate initial configuration data
    winecfg
    # Install deps
    winetricks vcrun6sp6
    # Run installer
    wine ~/Downloads/MapleLegends2020Feb17.exe

Configure wine:
    Code:
    # Download ws2_32.dll and ws2help.dll
    cd ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32
    mv ws2_32.dll ws2_32.bkp.dll
    cp ~/Downloads/ws2_32.dll ~/Downloads/ws2help.dll .
    winecfg
    # Set Windows version to Windows 98

Play!
    Code:
    cd ~/.wine/drive_c/MapleLegendsHD
    WINEDEBUG=-all wine ./MapleLegends.exe

(vcrun6sp6 was the only winetricks package I needed to install for this. No .NET or DX9/11 needed.)

Follow up: Running multiple clients seems to just work. I've been able to run 2 clients without needing to clone the directory or mess with wineserver.

• Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. appleorange

appleorange King Slime

Apr 18, 2020
    9:25 AM
    does it work on ubuntu ?

3. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    6:25 AM
    I/L Arch Mage
    I believe it should. The only issue might be 32-bit WINE support or Ubuntu having an older WINE version. I don't know if either is the case with Ubuntu though.

4. appleorange

appleorange King Slime

Apr 18, 2020
    Is it less laggy ? If I play maple story on a Linux box

5. Daydreamer

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    Yes but if you are worried about lag I would recommend you use Xubuntu instead since it's much faster than standard Ubuntu.

6. ONASSIS

ONASSIS Mushmom

Oct 9, 2019
    Male
    cojs
    Bowman
    I will try to make it run in elementary os.
    i will post about it

• Like Like x 2
  7. appleorange

appleorange King Slime

Apr 18, 2020
    thank you~
    i'm looking forward to it :)

8. HYPATIA

HYPATIA Slime

Apr 28, 2020
    2:25 PM
    HYPATIA
    Beginner
    For folks trying to get the new update to cooperate with Wine, here is the MapleLegends.exe provided by the "macOS client" (read: wineskin wrapper): mega⋅nz/file/aGQBmK5S#AbbiAGGONHc5e0WLIfFo1zulb8i4WfcTBWYQGBXPecA

If you want to get it yourself, you have to download the macOS wineskin wrapper and then extract that *.pkg file (*.pkg files are actually XAR archives; I compiled some old XAR archiver/de-archiver to extract it, but reportedly just using
    Code:
    7z x
    also works). Then you can extract the "Payload" file like
    Code:
    cat Payload | gunzip -dc | cpio -i
    and inspect the resulting Wine prefix to get the MapleLegends.exe from it.

It seems to work better than the MapleLegends.exe that is in the Windows client download (and yes, they are different; I checked their SHA-512 sums), since the macOS one actually launches. But I cannot log in because keyboard and mouse input both just... don't work. I also can't see any mouse cursor whatsoever whenever my mouse is over the game window.

• Like Like x 1
  9. HYPATIA

HYPATIA Slime

Apr 28, 2020
    HYPATIA
    Beginner
    OK so I found the problem: MapleLegends.exe was not the only differing file. Copying over ijl15.dll, Sound_DX8.dll, PCOM.dll, and unins000.exe (all of whose SHA-512 hashes did not match) at least fixed the input issue, so I can log in. If you want those files by themselves, here: mega⋅nz/file/CaJ13ITQ#TFP8zoCsbVB9jvNyD8roCCiFBI0UFWKI6G7Ot2I9Gf0

• Like Like x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  10. HYPATIA

HYPATIA Slime

Apr 28, 2020
    HYPATIA
    Beginner
    Ok, here are some additional notes on this method of nabbing resources from the macOS version:

NOTE: If you are reading this, the previous files that I uploaded in my last two responses to this thread are probably outdated. I recommend just copying the macOS version's "MapleLegendsHD" directory over wholesale into your Wine prefix.

If you are extracting the resources from the macOS binary yourself, here is the easiest way to do it (exploiting the cleverness of 7zip; if you don't have the "7z" command, then you need to install it; it's called "p7zip-full" on Debian-based distros):

Code:
    [.../] $ ls
    MapleLegends-MACDDMMMYYYY.pkg

[.../] $ mkdir MapleLegendsMac && cd MapleLegendsMac

[.../MapleLegendsMac] $ 7z x ../MapleLegends-MACDDMMMYYYY.pkg

[.../MapleLegendsMac] $ ls
    Payload~

[.../MapleLegendsMac] $ 7z x 'Payload~'

[.../MapleLegendsMac] $ ls
    'MapleLegends  .app'/   Payload~

[.../MapleLegendsMac] $ rm 'Payload~' && cd 'MapleLegends  .app'/Contents/Resources/drive_c/MapleLegendsHD

[.../MapleLegendsMac/MapleLegends  .app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/MapleLegendsHD] $ ls
     Canvas.dll     Data/          ijl15.dll      Legends.ini   MapleLegends.dll   NameSpace.dll   npkpdb.dll   ResMan.dll   Shape2D.dll     WzMss.dll
    'Crash Logs'/   Gr2D_DX8.dll   l3codeca.acm   List.wz       MapleLegends.exe   npkcrypt.dll    PCOM.dll     Setup.exe    Sound_DX8.dll   ZLZ.dll

You can also use this: stackoverflow⋅com/questions/11298855/how-to-unpack-and-pack-pkg-file as a reference.

11. Callan

Callan Red Snail

Mar 15, 2020
    Male
    Callan
    Buccaneer
    Are you still able to run the newest client on Fedora 31? I tried following your steps but upon trying to start the client it fails with the error message:
    Code:
    0024:fixme:heap:EnumSystemFirmwareTables (0x4649524d, 00000000, 0)

followed by a bunch of the ws2dll errors that were mentioned earlier in the thread to be normal. Any advice?

12. HYPATIA

HYPATIA Slime

Apr 28, 2020
    HYPATIA
    Beginner
    You may have to use the files from the macOS version. That's what I had to do for last patch (as you can see from my comments) and so I did the same for the latest patch.

13. Callan

Callan Red Snail

Mar 15, 2020
    Male
    Callan
    Buccaneer
    Right, that was actually what I was going to try next but it ended up getting late so I put it off until today. Using the macOS version's `MapleLegendsHD` folder instead of the Windows version's worked, though there are a lot of sound errors that pop up. Still, the game is playable! Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lyhed

Lyhed Red Snail

Apr 22, 2020
    Male
    3:25 PM
    I installed wine 5.9 and mono-complete (no additional dlls or plugins), used 7z to extract the MacOS version, copied over the ws2_32.dll and ws2help.dll files from the MacOS system32 directory, set my display mode to 60 hz, and it works! Awesome guide, thank you all!

Without changing display mode from 144hz to 60hz Maple would close itself without giving me anything to work with. Using
    Code:
    WINEDEBUG=+d3d wine MapleLegends.exe
    I saw that the last thing before closing was getting a list of display modes, so I hoped (correctly!) that mine was invalid.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. YoniSL

YoniSL Slime

Jan 2, 2016
    meso bills y'alll
    3:25 PM
    Uziah
    Spearman
    [P]Erion
    Was the mac version approach working without the hp/mp regen bans?

I've tried to install wine-staging on debian, without winearch32, then winecfg'd it into 98, afterwards replacing the ws2_ (2) .dll files. This however resulted in a lot of call errors based on the ws2_ dll about some calls not being supported. Perhaps it's because wine is hella old on debian, will try another install approach later on, but wondered if this is common?

16. Daydreamer

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    I followed these instructions and got the game working on the latest patch!

17. paaants

paaants Snail

Apr 24, 2020
    In winecfg if you set it to use a virtual desktop you can open the game without changing your refresh rate, this has complications with multiclient however. As an alternative you can run MapleLegends with these commands:
    Code:
    wine explorer /desktop=MapleStory,1920x1080 MapleLegends.exe
    wine explorer /desktop=MapleStory1,1920x1080 MapleLegends.exe

Each client will require you changing the desktop name

18. ONASSIS

ONASSIS Mushmom

Oct 9, 2019
    Male
    cojs
    Bowman
    hi bro, do you remember the steps?

19. ONASSIS

ONASSIS Mushmom

Oct 9, 2019
    Male
    cojs
    Bowman
    there must be a little thing I need, I did all the process in ubuntu 20.04, Zuma works great, Vice Çity and all games I tried, but MapleLegends, opens a blue screen, and it goes out. I am using the folder I have in my windows PC, some people say using the exe found in mac version works, so, i will try that and will post about.

if anyone can give me a tip, I will appreciate it

20. ONASSIS

ONASSIS Mushmom

Oct 9, 2019
    Male
    cojs
    Bowman
    Hi friends, good news for ubuntu 20.04 users, I made it run, I will post the process I did in a few hours, I am sleepy now, it runs normally, since this a 10 inches minilaptop and with no fan cooler system, I can open two windows but it gets slow. but something is something.