1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential Wipe / Bishop Changes Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by WEED_JESUS, Jul 23, 2016.

[SELECT ALL THAT APPLY] Hypothetically, what balance changes would you like to see made to bishops?

Poll closed Aug 6, 2016.
  1. Nerf Leech

32.9%
  2. Nerf/Ban Self-Leech/Multi-Clienting

28.8%
  3. Nerf Holy Symbol

19.2%
  4. Balance Holy Symbol to Encourage Larger Parties

57.5%
  5. Penalize Bishops for Using Elemental Wands (Nerf Luckless Bishops)

30.1%
  6. Other [Post about it]

5.5%
  7. None

23.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Kaelor

Kaelor Slime

Aug 17, 2015
    Male
    Canada,Alberta
    4:44 AM
    Kaelor
    Crossbowman
    FaerieCircle
    I have 0 respect for bishops or leechers! What a bunch of LOSERS! I want OLD maplestory! 1X EXP! NO 2X EXP cards! I want a version before NLC! And no 4rth job! I want OLD maple! Good maple! But there is not a single server in the world that can live up to old maple! 2x exp the closest! 2x exp is not old maple so i am sad... The 2exp you outlevel quests and quests become these random low level quests and so you dont do them and these LOSER bishops multiclienters act like they are competitve but they are just your no skill fox falco mains.......0 style points! I used to grind 9 hours a day at coolie zombies at lvl 70 bandit for ONE level!! ONE! Thats what made it an ACHIEVEMENT! When these no skill losers no stamina bishops just fly right by you and then these SO CALLED attackers that should have repsect for being an archer just leech right past you they are wolf in sheeps clothing! losers all the same!~ This is not old maple this is LeechStory!~ Go 1x exp wipe and go to a version before NLC![​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  2. OP
    OP
    WEED_JESUS

WEED_JESUS Red Snail

Jul 19, 2016
    Male
    WeedJesus
    Priest
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. SwordArt

SwordArt Windraider

Jun 18, 2015
    Male
    Paladin
    PogChamp

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Well apparently that's what has been happening.

Keep telling everyone who is dissatisfied with the server to leave, and pretty soon you will be left with a one-digit active population.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Unlucky

Unlucky Mr. Anchor

Aug 8, 2015
    Male
    Australia
    8:44 PM
    Unlucky / Babez
    Project
    I came to this server to play maple the way I remembered it and to relive my experiences. Back in GMS I played a cleric/priest well before 4th job was released when the class was underpowered and genesis wasn't even a thing. I'm not just some bandwagon bishop, this is simply the class that I love and always have loved because I enjoy playing the support role. I definitely did not come to this server to play some gutted, watered down version of what i enjoyed the most about maplestory.

This is v.62 maple, thats what we all signed up for. NL's are considered the best dps and bishops are farming/exp whores. Altering the bishop formula at this point is ridiculous to me. Bishops don't get good EXP from bosses like Zakum or HT, we cant just go kill bigfoot or anego, we grind at skele and we farm. Hell, we cant even farm well anymore due to the custom drop rate changes for bishop. Many of us are being out farmed by attacking classes.

Banning leech and self leech? sure, go ahead. Bishops selling a service is not going to change, even if you balanced HS to encourage larger parties they are just going to charge the party to grind, I know that I would. We have something that other classes desire and if the bishop class gets gutted they are going to be so few and far between that you are gonna have to pay for it. That goes ft HT and Zakum too. Why the fuck would I want to come and spend hours at HT or zak being a heal/res mule when I get almost nothing out of it compared to the attacker class?

You don't need to have a bishops to make meso to fund your attacker. There are plenty examples of this NextNext @Losjington CharlobeetleCharlobeetle BaboBabo are all great examples of this. Yes, some people choose to make a bishop to get the ball rolling which its logical because you build your int gear before creating an attacker if you plan on washing but it isn't necessary.

What is stopping people down the track making similar arguments about other classes being OP? "I have to fund my ranger but i cant do it as effectively as a NL because they have meso up, please nerf. ohh and shadow partner is op in 4th job, please nerf"
    To me this sort of mindset is moving us into a very dangerous area.

Regarding the wipe, I think its a bad idea. Myself, and others, have put an incredible amount of time and effort into getting where were are today. Yes, as a bishop i certainly have had it easier than other classes but that does not negate the time and effort I put in. I cant speak for everyone but i have spoken to many of the "Veterans" and we are not coming back if there's a wipe. We worked to damn hard to get here and we don't want to do it all over again just so some fresh blood can have a shot at being on the rankings. People quit for many reasons. They had issues with the staff, they were unhappy with the lack of updates, the gach update put the economy in the toilet, the game had simply run its course for them. A wipe and nerfing bishops isn't going to bring everyone back. Sure, it might bring back some of the casuals but for how long? How long before they chuck in the towel again because they are displeased with some other aspect of the game?

• Like Like x 18
  6. OP
    OP
    WEED_JESUS

WEED_JESUS Red Snail

Jul 19, 2016
    Male
    WeedJesus
    Priest
    Removing Bishops from the game entirely? Not the worst idea I've ever heard.

7. Kaelor

Kaelor Slime

Aug 17, 2015
    Male
    Canada,Alberta
    Kaelor
    Crossbowman
    FaerieCircle
    [​IMG] After the server wipe Unlucky can make like a fairy and flutter on away! Finally![​IMG] - SCRAAAAAAAAAAW!!~!~

[​IMG]- Unlucky is a basic bitch!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Unlucky

Unlucky Mr. Anchor

Aug 8, 2015
    Male
    Australia
    Unlucky / Babez
    Project
    MapleF15 I love it when you talk dirty to me Baelor! gives me such a rager MapleF16

• Like Like x 1
  9. Number32

Number32 Skelegon Retired Staff

Jul 3, 2015
    Male
    The Netherlands
    12:44 PM
    Smores
    Bishop
    Demure
    Good luck at HT fam

• Like Like x 9
  10. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    I think you missed the whole memo about the heal/mp eater and duo HS being OP. Cleric was super-easy to level and profitable because they could farm undeads and spend no money on pots. Then priest comes along with HS, and then all they have to do is HS a group of attackers and do nothing except afk in a safe spot, and everyone rakes in exp. Everyone wanted to party priests and give them free exp. By no means was cleric/priest underpowered. Then we throw genesis on top of this, and hoo boy, the whole thing is definitely OP.

And nothing is wrong with the game when the ideal party is one bowmaster to buff the NLs' damage, one bishop to raise people in case they mess up, a bunch of NLs for DPS, and every other character is essentially deadweight and superfluous?

Attackers go and kill zakum arms just because it is good exp for them. They also want holy symbol. Therefore it's also good exp for you. Even though comparatively it's still probably less than a duo skele leech which you get paid for.

You CAN kill Anego. She is weak to holy FFS. You can do a lot of things if you put your mind to it. The problem is so many people are only just focused on that exp bar, and a duo party nuking skeles with gen has always been the most exp/hr for everyone.

I don't know if we read the same agreements or not, but I signed up for MapleLegends, not any other server which claimed they would be fixed at v62 and never make any custom changes ever.

If a bishop wanted to charge me for grinding with them, I'd tell them to fuck off. The whole point of a party is everyone works together as a team and brings something to the table. Charging people for the "privilege" of partying with you is arrogant. But again, it's just another indicator that the whole system is imbalanced. That "something" bishops currently have that other people want is a massive intravenous injection of EXP that none others can provide. Maybe when things are actually balanced, classes will more or less be about the same value to one another and we won't do silly stuff like charging each other for working together.

Do you really need to ask this? You get the skillbooks you need, you get pendants and helms you need, many guilds also sell helms and pendants for much profit. Then again, maybe you'd just go along because you want to help your guild mates and friends? I thought helping people was the point of support classes. lol

I'm another example! It's still a moot argument on your part, though, because no one ever said anything was impossible without a bishop. What we did say was that everything was a lot easier and efficient. If all the people you listed as examples would have just made a bishop first, and leeched themselves, they'd have gotten 10x as far.

People like you. :D Ah the good old slippery slope fallacy....

I'm not saying other adjustments would be a bad idea too, but each aspect of the game is its own discussion. What exactly is this dangerous area? Is it where we stop copying everything GMS does, and we move on to something better than the original game? That sounds fun, not dangerous.

I would agree a wipe is a bad idea. A new world where we can actually see these changes first hand would be a nice idea, but of course so many are against that freedom of choice too. :roflmao:

• Like Like x 4
  11. Aero

Aero Skelosaurus

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    11:44 AM
    Aero
    Night Lord
    Horizon
    16k HP, im good fam.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Unlucky

Unlucky Mr. Anchor

Aug 8, 2015
    Male
    Australia
    Unlucky / Babez
    Project
    Clerics and other magician classes were easy to lvl early and mid game but pre 4th job and pre ghost ship the life of a priest was not as easy as you make it out to be. When you became a priest sure, maybe you went to MDT or wolf spiders with a DK and another attacker and got free EXP but the attackers would level much faster than the priests.

Not exactly. While Properly geared night lords with SE are generaly considered the best DPS i've known a few heroes that will out dps them. You also forgot to mention the DK for HB.

Yes, its significantly worse than grinding at skele and hardly worth the time and effort if you are not selling helmets and books. I should also mentioned that I trained exclusively with attacker classes at skele. There was a short period of about 2 weeks where I sold leech to buy some earrings and even now I don't charge people to leech at skele. I've have done it for a lot of people.

Call it what you will. Its not inconceivable and believe it will be a real possibility if bishops become rare after they get drastically altered.

You are right about the books and helmets but after you have everything there isn't much point unless you like going on runs for fun, which admittedly I do so i'll concede to that.

Selling books and helmets from Zakum wont net you much. Most profit is used to compensate attackers for stoppers and their time. It's very rare for the bishop to receive compensation. This is largely the case for HT but maybe worse. There is no market for pendants in this server so no one is selling them. HT books sell so rarely and the splits are so small that you might cover your pots/stoppers with a few mil left over. I'd be willing to wager that everyone is running HT at a loss right now in terms of meso.

GMS tried to move on to bigger and better things and look what we have now. Thats why i'm opposed to the idea. I'm here for classic maplestory, not something unrecognisable.

I'd also rather see the server divided than wiping if i had to choose

• Like Like x 4
  13. Spooky

Spooky Brown Teddy

Mar 27, 2015
    An image macro is not a valid argument.

Okay, now you're being ridiculous.

14. ImCanadian

ImCanadian Snail

Sep 28, 2015
    Male
    6:44 AM
    I barely played this server, so my opinion may not mean much. But I'm going to give it anyways.

I honestly don't see the player base growing very much anymore. The 2x exp rate is appealing to a fairly small minority, and when the server's been up for as long as it has. These low rates tend to deter a lot of new players from joining. I honestly think the rates need to be addressed before a wipe occurs. I'm not saying this server needs to become a 10x server or something. I just don't think a server can thrive in the long term with such low rates.

Out of the proposed changes to bishops and leech, I think the best change would be to implement the elemental wand update that occurred some time around v83. This definitely wouldn't make bishops bad, but it might help with balancing a bit. I feel like the other suggestions were a bit too harsh. If holy symbol was to be nerfed. The mage roles would pretty much switch. Instead of AMs being nerfed bishops. Bishops could become nerfed AMs.

I personally haven't played this server very much. So I am not aware of the issues that this server faced which led to legends not being as succesful as it should have been. I have heard a few things, like the economy being well awful, and something about a gach update. I just hope that if a wipe does occur. That changes are made to combat the issues that this server had to deal with. I just really want to see a server compete with royals. This old school maplestory private server monopoly annoys me. Especially when the server that is dominating is coded so poorly and is lacking so much in content.

I wrote this on my phone, sorry if it's worded terribly.

• Like Like x 9
  15. Nikki

Nikki Selkie Jr.

Apr 16, 2015
    Female
    5:44 AM
    Nikki
    Assassin
    3x slightly nerfed bishop wipe hype? MapleF11

16. Monad

Monad Snail

Aug 4, 2016
    3:44 AM
    This is my first post on these forums, but I'd still like to give input as someone looking into joining this server and someone who mained an Arch Mage way back when. Obviously I'm not well acquainted with the unique problems this server faces, but I do remember the problems pre-Big Bang MapleStory had. So I don't have input on a wipe or a new world, but I do have input on Bishop changes.

I don't think the problem with Bishops is that they have good support skills like Holy Symbol. From my perspective the balance problem with the class rested entirely on the fact that they had Genesis. The best support class in the game shouldn't also be the third best mobber. I'm not saying we need to take away the skill because Bishops do need to be able to level too, but consider that Genesis has higher basic attack and a faster casting speed than Meteor and Blizzard do. The difference is such that Arch Mages need the elemental wand that corresponds to their ultimate to compete with Bishops at holy weak spots like skeles. For comparison, Genesis: 670*1.5 = 1005 attack, Blizzard/Meteor: 570*1.35*1.25 = 961.875 attack. With that in mind I think the least that should be done is nerfing Genesis to match these skills on their own. Another good move would adding the holy penalty to Elemental Wands considering their purpose and the fact that a lack of penalty is a glitch in the first place. This would push Bishops toward being low LUK and lower their damage in a less direct way. Whatever happens, I think the important thing here is making it so Bishops need to work a little harder to be able to clear a map at the press of a button. It would simultaneously nerf the class' money making ability and make Arch Mages more distinct.

On the topic of leech, I don't really have a lot of ideas, but I do know I would like to see something done to discourage it. I remember the party EXP formula was changed to 80:20 instead of 60:40 at some point. Making the buying and selling of leech specifically a bannable offense also might help ease the problem. And I'm not sure this one would be possible, but making it so a party member can't gain EXP if they haven't attacked in a certain time frame, like 20-30 seconds, would help too. The idea that people can train with higher levels for better EXP doesn't bother me so much as the idea that people are charging others for the right to grind with them and that AFKers are getting viable, if not better EXP rates compared to people who party up the traditional way.

Also, like ImCanadian said I hope you guys consider changing the EXP rate slightly. I've had my eye on this server for a long time, but the 2x rate has always been discouraging. I'm not saying change it to be really high or anything, but something like 3x or 4x might make the server seem more welcoming to newcomers. This is especially relevant if actions are taken against leeching. I'd really love to be active on this server, especially with a certain other server being lacking in content and encouraging things that I feel are not in the spirit of the game, like leech.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  17. Salamander

Salamander Timer

Jun 16, 2015
    Male
    Salamander
    Dark Knight
    i wanna be out in some field at 5am in the morning feeling lost and mangled with my phone out and i scroll down GTOP and see MapleLegends wiping, i would not feel afraid and then continue to frolic with the creatures of the night to exude my joy for that moment

#wipe4harambe

• Like Like x 3
  18. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Thinking on the subject more, I do think it's clear that something needs to change. Many people have said something along the lines of "we/you came here for a nostalgic experience." I've disagreed with that on some level, but regardless of why anyone actually decided to begin playing on this server, the end results are clear.

People came for the classic GMS-like features. Then they left because of those same features.

Right now we're running what... 20 to 80 players tops a day? And how many of them are just AFK? How many unique players still log on in a given week? This number is nothing compared to the countless number of people who have all once joined the server and quit forever.

There's no escaping that reality. All the key balance and economic features which make this server classic are the same ones that drive players away eventually. Incessantly repetitive grinding. Bishops, leeching, and NLs dominating the game. Too much dependence on gachapon luck slot machine. The luck/failure mechanics of scrolling.

It all comes together making a bleak outlook for most players. When players finally decide to quit, they usually make up some reasons like "real life", but it's nonsense. The reality is they've stopped giving a damn, and they can't be bothered with legends anymore. Maybe they will spend more time on school, work, or family. Or maybe they will just occupy their free time with something else they find more fun.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Nostaigia

Nostaigia Orange Mushroom

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    3:44 AM
    Leecher
    Magician
    Dalmascus
    sup noob

in4 wipe. Can probably guarantee that if word got around/it was advertised, a wipe would cause an increase in the legends player base. including me and i know u all want me lets be honest guys cmon

20. Spooky

Spooky Brown Teddy

Mar 27, 2015
    It'd kill it even faster. Progression here is a lot slower than r0yals and casuls will notice that on day one, quit, and the population will be even smaller because the veterans will have quit as well because all their stuff is gone.

There's going to be an influx of people coming to Legends (and some other servers) in (hopefully) a few months, everyone just wait.
    [Source: My ass]
    [My ass's source: The SOGC, r/maplestory, a business advice text board, the previous owner of a GMS-like server, a 21 year old virgin from MapleEquinox's discord, and, most importantly, a social engineer on an image board who hides behind a tripcode and shitposts 24/7 about how he's gonna use a dick pump that he purchased with the money he received from scamming a Taiwanese maplestory player while playing Kronos WoW so he can fuck everyone hard in-game and irl]

• Like Like x 1