1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential Wipe / Bishop Changes Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by WEED_JESUS, Jul 23, 2016.

[SELECT ALL THAT APPLY] Hypothetically, what balance changes would you like to see made to bishops?

Poll closed Aug 6, 2016.
  1. Nerf Leech

32.9%
  2. Nerf/Ban Self-Leech/Multi-Clienting

28.8%
  3. Nerf Holy Symbol

19.2%
  4. Balance Holy Symbol to Encourage Larger Parties

57.5%
  5. Penalize Bishops for Using Elemental Wands (Nerf Luckless Bishops)

30.1%
  6. Other [Post about it]

5.5%
  7. None

23.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    2:59 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    To paraphrase a great video blogger:

"We can change what we all know is coming.
    Things do not have to go the way that feels inevitable.
    But they will be inevitable if you don't act.
    The future is not written in stone.
    The future is written in choice and commitment and will."

• Like Like x 1
  2. Aero

Aero Skelosaurus

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    9:59 AM
    Aero
    Night Lord
    Horizon
    ey boy ;)

3. Odyssey

Odyssey Blue Snail

Jan 6, 2015
    Male
    4:59 AM
    Ahh it's been a while but I see that even #hype4wipe has come to Legends. I've been gone for ages but looking at it now, it feels like most of the player base is leaving and fewer members are being attracted to the server. A wipe is a tricky thing, many hate it and many love it. The problem is that both wipe or no wipe include a chance of the server dying. Nonetheless, changes need to happen for the server to live, even without a wipe. I know from experience, don't wipe 6 times. #lol Just make changes to the environment of the server including forums/site/gameplay.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TumTum

TumTum King Slime

Apr 12, 2015
    Male
    10:59 AM
    Was just wondering whether this idea is still being discussed.

I used to play this server as well, until uni started getting busy, and played a priest as my first character purely because it is just so much easier to start as a priest. It has all of the advantages other mages have + more. I really like i/l mage class more, because blue is just awesome, but it was just not beneficial to have an i/l compared to a priest. Im almost done with uni and work is a lot less time taxing than uni so i was looking for a maplestory server to play.

Hope this idea gets pulled through!

5. xNator

xNator Chronos

Dec 16, 2015
    Male
    3:59 AM
    xNator
    Night Lord
    Eternal
    All i know is that if the vast majority of the high levels are bishops then something is off. The only people that get mad over nerfing them are the actual bishops.
    On a different note, it makes me mad when people say bishops arent as good as i/l or f/p. Bishops dominate skeles over i/l and f/p even though they shouldnt. Why is it that i/l and f/p hit around the same/less as bishops but have to use 2x mp? Bishops dont have ele amp yet they still hit more.
    Anyways sorry for my rant, but i dont think bishops are a real class that should count on the rankings

• Like Like x 2
  6. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    5:59 PM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    all classes have their cons and pros. and honestly, I don't think bish overcomes skele huge compared with mages.
    (i'm mageholic o.o...)

for example, bish need gene 30 and 1296 magic to ohko skele.
    fp needs meteor 30 and 1306 magic.
    il needs blizz 30 and 1335 magic.

than let's see. fp has approx 2lvl penalty than bish, and il has 8lvl penalty. now, let's come to mastery books.
    I'd rather choose just lvl few more than getting dem gene 30. and so i did.

HS? many ppls know how to solve this matter.

now let's think about non-skele. no need to travel far away. just next map, newt.
    this means, mage have significant pro that "farm anywhere much easily".

personally, I even feel pity feeling on bish. #doorplz #hsplz. cos they can't do anything than skele.
    7k mp per shot? if I loot everything while i grind, pot meso is less than 1/3 of only meso looting, not including NPC gears and etcs.

let's just respect difference. difference makes life colorful o.o

• Like Like x 6
  7. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Yes, let's celebrate difference! Just like we have a huge variety of classes in the top... wait.. No, no we don't. It's all bishops or people who were leeched by bishops.

• Like Like x 5
  8. xNator

xNator Chronos

Dec 16, 2015
    Male
    xNator
    Night Lord
    Eternal
    Lmfaooo

9. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    CozyCozy I'll give you a more serious response.

That's true, but let's look at the breakdown.

Nightlords: Best DPS hands down, but needs HP washing to handle certain bosses earlier. Farming isn't too bad either, imo, but there's always a bunch of salt because they don't get godly mob attack too.

Shadowers: Basically 3rd rate nightlords with smoke shell. Meso explosion is an extremely expensive method of leveling quickly in 3rd job.

Bow/crossbow masters: Also has a HP problem, but not as good DPS as nightlords. Sharp eyes makes their DPS (and more importantly, NL's DPS) shoot through the roof. Farming is meh, but quite nice in certain situations. The trick is finding and exploiting those situations.

Dark Knight: Hyperbody, and a weaker attacker than bowmen.

Heroes: slightly better attacker, but no particularly outstanding buffs.

Paladin: contributes even less than the above two.

-All of the warriors have semi-decent mobbing ability with their ability to shove and collect mobs before using their mob attack.

-Then mages/bishop: Extremely weak at bossing, and then bosses decide to make their life even more hell with dispel. But their ultimate is supreme for mobbing yet also quite expensive.

Bishops: cons - stuck at skeles for life.
    pros - stupidly-easy leveling from 2nd job up
    reduced damage from ALL sources
    can party a deadweight and receive MORE exp in doing so with HS
    has half the MP cost for their ultimate
    can sell leeches to not only level quickly but make massive profits
    ressurection
    everyone needs them for boss runs

Arch mages: none of the pros, but they have a few more options to grind with their ultimates and have more attack power (with double MP cost) which still isn't saying much since the mage's damage formula is so borked late game compared to other classes and their WATK boosting options.

All the top DPS bossers like to complain that they suck at farming, it really doesn't matter because most just wind up making a bishop alt to farm and leech for them. So just by multi-clienting, we have superior bossing ability combined with superior farming ability. Bishop leech + NL combo is the all-too-common, tried and true method of "winning" maplestory.

The whole problem with the game is that as much as you like to tout pros and cons and "diversity", it's all nothing but platitudes. The vast majority of players who are competitive view everything under a lense: you're either a NL with high DPS or a char who boosts/supports the high DPS NL. Anyone who isn't either of those are mostly irrelevant.

A properly geared and buffed lv 150 NL could out DPS a godly geared and buffed lv 200 arch mage.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Colin

Colin Orange Mushroom

Jun 8, 2016
    Male
    Trinative
    Dragon Knight
    Basic
    Or people who were leeched by their own bishops via vmware OnionGloomy
    IsaacIsaac

In response to Lionheart, the problem with classes like BMs and DKs having the benefit of being a better bossing class is that the cons of very slow lvling in comparison to those who HAVE bishop leeching honestly greatly outweigh the pros of playing a good bossing class.
    I've discussed this w/ people who don't have their own bishops(not gonna name anyone), and we've come to the general consensus that it's pretty stupid that it seems you are heavily punished for NOT playing your class and not making a bishop; variety is discouraged, as people have stated repeatedly in this thread.

Edit: just for any misunderstandings, there's no problem with playing the bishop class; the problem stems from the vmware multi-character bishop abuse where people stop playing their own class and make a bishop to lvl.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  11. SwordArt

SwordArt Windraider

Jun 18, 2015
    Male
    Paladin
    hey happy new year everyone

• Like Like x 7
  12. Ghost.

Ghost. Nightshadow

Sep 12, 2015
    Male
    USA
    4:59 AM
    Ghost/Reclaimer
    Night Lord
    Project
    so whens the wipe

• Like Like x 7
  13. Isaac

Isaac Selkie Jr.

Sep 15, 2015
    Male
    Vancouver
    1:59 AM
    Goblin
    Mafia
    What if... I'm using vmware to get extra xp for my bishop :D

it's ok tho, don't play anymore anyway ecks dee

14. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    5:59 PM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs

[​IMG]

is ur account bugged like been blocked to make bish, NL, or other jobs you think OP? o.o.... than i can understand why you're so serious for this matter. otherwise, can't understand. who made ur chara F/P is no one else but you, unless you account shared and that random guy suddenly made you get 1st job you don't wish to.

don't tell me "you donno archmage is sux". I have mages too.. q.q

don't wanna debate with this silly matter anymore, so i won't reply anymore on this cancer thread, but hope you just know this. you think mage's pot fee is "expensive". but you kills 10+ skeles with 2~3 pots. just imagine how many pots most attackers would use to kill 10+ skeles, and time to do that. I never thought mage's pot fee is expensive. even when I spammed 1 ale / 1 shot for 3hko skeles. cos I earned "more" than i use anyway. (and even much faster grinding than most of attackers also). If you think it's "expensive", than i just smh on ur greed. delete ur FP and do bish. I think that would be most ideal way for both.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
  15. Heartiess

Heartiess Guest

Idk but NoodsNoods and Number32Number32 do toms of damage on their heros. So does empiredk on his drk - Dont hate on warriors :(

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    I chose F/P because I like the concept of the class and the way it is supposed to play. Unfortunately late game, things just are not balanced at all. That, and some bugs make party play even more difficult. So I guess pointing out that imbalance means I should delete my main character and go make the same stupid class like everyone else? I really don't think you get it if you are saying this.

I don't want to make a fucking bishop or a nightlord. I want to play my character and for the game to be more balanced. That's all.

Posting big giant trolly pictures doesn't help you make any point.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Number32

Number32 Skelegon Retired Staff

Jul 3, 2015
    Male
    The Netherlands
    Smores
    Bishop
    Demure
    Contender for meme of the year right here

• Like Like x 8
  18. TumTum

TumTum King Slime

Apr 12, 2015
    Male
    So basically what cozy said that you have to chose either the op class (which you may not like) or chose a weak class (which you may like) who no one wants to boss with because... they are weak.

You are not allowed to complain about balance because she also plays mages.

Ignoring that, i am wondering about the possible implementation of the nerf bishop idea.

19. Heartiess

Heartiess Guest

In my personal opinion, nerfing a support class doesn't only nerf the "class" itself, but nerfs the "team".
    Buffing HS for group parties makes them even MORE wanted at bosses (mentioned this since it was in a complaint above...)
    Nerfing HS does not only affect them, but everyone they party with.
    Banning self leech doesn't work. (this was seen in another server)

I liked the penalizing lukless bishops idea tho 8D

• Like Like x 2
  20. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    The main thing about holy symbol is that just by yourself, it's hardly any bonus. Then when you just add a second person to your party, the exp penalty massively increases. To the point where even if that 2nd person does nothing but AFK on a rope, you STILL get more exp than by yourself, and they even get leech exp too. But then, if you add any more players to the party, the exp bonus is already close to capping out. So 3 people all busting their asses is just barely as efficient as one gening bishop and a leecher. Assuming there are enough mob spawns. Add more players to the party, and exp/hr goes downhill and everyone nopes out of that.

So that's the problem. HS in some circumstances definitely needs a nerf, but that's not saying that I think the skill needs to be weakened to utter trash uselessness. My suggestion would mainly be to revamp the party exp formula such that the exp bonus becomes much greater with more players. Not skyrocket at 2 players, then level off.

• Like Like x 4