1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Questing Ring

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by iara, Jul 22, 2018.

Would you like a "Quest Ring"

1. Yes

37 vote(s)
    66.1%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    33.9%
  1. Heartiess

Heartiess Guest

10:05 PM
    This has been said many times and honestly no one who's begged for HP has ever even addressed it:
    Is HP washing such a "BIG issue" if you're choosing to play a difficult, challenging and "old-school" server?

There are multiple other servers which are much easier 4x-1000x exp, which also completely change the games mechanics to better suit players that don't necessarily want to put time nor effort in their characters. If Navi and Kimberly wanted to address the "HP-Washing" issue, they would have addressed it when they were deciding the goals of the server. Yes those do shift, hense why we have cool new content such as Shanghai. My personal opinion however, is that if there was truly a want to abolish hp-washing, it would have been done before this point and time.

HP washing most of the time does not require people to remake their characters
    HP washing has alternatives: events, rings, hp-scrolls, not doing HT right away at lvl 155
    Dont want to HP wash, fine, you can: make a mage, make a warrior, make a buccaneer, play WHATEVER CLASS YOU DESIRE and enjoy 99% of the game anyways.
    And many more arguments/alternatives have been mentioned in the 50+ threads created about this

Point is, the more you give the more people ask for. This will NEVER change.
    Now, to discuss the issue with Quests specifically giving that reward:
    Player X spent 100hrs on maplelegends questing
    Player Y spent 100hrs on maplelegends grinding/party-questing

Implement a tiered ring system based on questing:
    Player X instantly gets a reward that most likely benefits them (or else why implement the reward in the first place)
    Player Y, who spent 100hrs grinding because thats what they liked or thought was more efficient, is now at a (small to large depending on what the reward gives in the first place) disadvantage and must spend another at least 100hrs playing unefficiently to be able to catch up to Player X.

**This was not an issue for MB book because as mentioned above, everyone was on the same starting point: 0 completed**

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. shot

shot Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Oct 31, 2017
    Male
    4:05 PM
    sh0t/Davi
    Buccaneer
    Honor
    I was mainly focusing on your class balance part. To go back about the quest rings, I think it will be a nice addition. However, I believe NiseNise stated what my concern will be if this were to be added to further alleviate washing:

I always saw rings as a small boost in hp to reduce the number of wash, (kind of like a cherry on top or icing on cake) NOT a whole system to replace hp washing for good. That means to fully be able to challenge bosses at a lower level, you are still required to wash like everyone else does. Another problem with having flat hp rings is the fact some classes will benefit more than the others. But in the end, I do think it will be a good idea to the game, as long as people accepts that having these kind of rings will never be a permanent solution to washing.

3. mosshroom

mosshroom Orange Mushroom

Mar 18, 2017
    Female
    12:05 AM
    Chara, mosshroom
    Hermit, Shadower
    Halcyon
    Random idea - the reward could be a chair/chairs. This would be purely cosmetic and wouldn’t give anyone an unfair gameplay advantage. Could maybe even be area specific. Meaning if u complete most quests in an area you get the corresponding chair for that place (Victoria Island, Elnath, Ludus Lake etc.) But at the same time we already have chairs for area bosses so I don’t know, maybe its too much. SlimeSweat2 Just a thought…

• Like Like x 2
  4. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    3:05 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    And now the plot twist: the player who spent all their time grinding and party questing is nearly double the level of the player who focused on questing, because the questing player pretty much spent their time as inefficiently as possible.

100 hours of playtime for a MMO like this also isn't even that much... so supposing we had tiers of quest rings, the quester would also have a fairly low-tiered ring. The questing player might now have the same amount of HP as the grinding player. But the grinding player has: way more stats, way more levels, way more skill points and/or the next job advancement.

There is a reason the vast majority of people simply prefer to grind and ignore quests. Because they know they advance much more quickly in the ways they want simply by grinding. So in a way, the grinders already got their "reward" upfront and early.

• Like Like x 2
  5. OP
    OP
    iara

iara Mushmom

Jul 1, 2018
    Female
    Iara
    Crossbowman
    The amount of "The Lost X" items is minimal. Just like, what, 20 or so? Less than 2% of all quests. And there are a lot of others quests to do that do not require such an hassle.

So many good ideas in your post. Magic/Weapon defense, HP and MP need a massive boost to be worth scrolling!
    I don't know if I agree with medals tho. Why work on a brand new feature (that nostalgia purists might not accept in the first place) when we can add a seemingly old feature for this (quest ring, just an edit of tiered ring)

Where did you got such a skewed viewpoint. There would be at max 10 tiers, just like the monster ring.
    How is that a lot of dialogue.

I think up to 500 HP ring for max tier (1000+ quests or so) would be more than good enough. High enough to be useful, low enough to not make HP washing/nostalgia purists rage.

HP washing is not difficult. It's not challenging. It's an arbitrary system you have to know beforehand, or else you will not be able to amount much. You need to know what it is, and how to do it before even making the character you like, which just so happens to be affected by HP. You neeed to prep before, or be lucky enough to make friends who can lend you items to start your journey, It's a massive time-waste too (Daily vote and you will be done! Eventually!). It's just daily voting after daily voting.
    HP washing would not be a problem if all classes had to endure it, but that's not the case.

Minimizing HP washing does NOT makes it disappear. And some people like to be able to at least TRY everything. If you tell me "you can't do HT until you are level 180+ because you didn't HP wash", I will be mad. Level 180 is extremely hight Sure I might not NEED to do Horntail at level 155... But without Hp washing I can't do it at level 165 either, and some can't even do it at level 175. That's 20+ levels and, after the 150 mark, leveling up takes far much more time.

As for the other part of your post, LionheartLionheart already explained it all. People who grind/party quest instead of questing already got their reward long ago.

I don't see how a questing ring is unfair tho. Anyone can go and do quests. Nothing is stopping anyone, even lvl 200 accounts, to just go right now and crank as many quests as possible. Even counting miss-able quests, you can do well over 1000 if you are diligent.

EDIT: Added more replies.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
  6. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    6:05 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    As the person that wrote all the dialogue for the 10 tiers of the MB Ring, I can tell you it's a fair amount. Translating is easier than coming up with new creative dialogue for something that doesn't exist or have any lore/backstory to the game...

• Like Like x 4
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  7. Heartiess

Heartiess Guest

10:05 PM
    So did the questers who did quests with actually good rewards. There are quite a few quests which give really valuable scrolls that are unobtainable by grinding, or pretty amazing EXP. If you chose to do quests that give BS exp/rewards, you chose to do them. Some quest lines have horrible rewards for the first few quests and then a great reward at the end.
    So yeah, they might not be ahead in EXP / Stats / Level, however questers can make quite a bit of money and levels if they chose good quests and spend a little time on researching rewards.
    I agree some quests rewards should be re looked at, sure, why not. Chairs, better scrolls, better equips. But even then, people who will have had already completed these quests would be at a disadvantage since they cannot re-do most quests that have already been completed.

I disagree that the number of quests completed should count for anything, especially as a mechanism to alleviate HP-washing.
    Players who have completed quests have certain motivations:
    -ranking
    -rewards
    -OCD with having the available quests empty
    -enjoy the lore
    ...etc
    If all that mattered to them was EXP/Stats, they would be grinding.
    I FMhoe, a lot. I chose to FM hoe instead of getting ahead in the game... because I enjoy it.

+1 for this. I remember writing all the dialogue for the valentines quests. It took days, not to mention getting all the Item ID's ready, NPC ID's, etc and then it gave KimberlyKimberly even more of a headache when she had to wz.edit the actual files to implement the custom quests, make them functional. And then a constant back and forth between testing, bug finding, bug fixing, etc.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. OP
    OP
    iara

iara Mushmom

Jul 1, 2018
    Female
    Iara
    Crossbowman
    I will not deny is difficult. But people know of the lore enough to come up with such a thing.
    I mean, if they asked me to I would come up with dialogue for the Quest Ring right now! And then others work from there. It's not perfect, but it's nice enough. If someone fixes any typo in there, it might be solid!
    Bowman version made for fun:

Introduction to Quests
    Job Quest
    Level 10+
    NPC: Athena Pierce

Available: I became a Bowman! Athena Pierce said that I shouldn't use my newfound powers for ill will. Maybe I should listen to what she has to say before I start my adventure

Accepting quest:
    Young Bowman! I might be rushing myself by telling you this, but you are more important than you think. You might not feel it now, but you can fight for the greater good, if you do try. I know you did not signed up to get preached on or anything like that, but I have been around this island for so long, and I know a way for you to become even more while also doing the right thing.

Quest Rejected:
    Maybe I was mistaken. I will not force you to do anything you do not want to, but I want you to know that your help would be greatly appreciated.

Quest Accepted:
    In all of Maple World there is something called "quests". You might not notice it, but you are doing one just now. Just like this one, there are plenty of Quests in the whole world. People everywhere needs help, be it something as mundane as delivering a letter to a loved one, to something greater than saving a continent from a boss monster threatening to destroy it. During your travels, you will find people (NPCs) who will require your help (quests). Please, do not turn a blind eye to them. You can check all the people who need you checking the "available" tab of the Quest log (By pressing the hotkey "Q"). You can also check your progress on certain quests by pressing the "L" hotkey button.

In Progress: Athena Pierce explained to me that people in Maple World require constant help. By completing "Quests", I can help people. But what is it in there for me?

Delivering quest:
    Do not worry. Helping others is not just your reward. Each quest you complete has their own rewards as well: Be it experience, items, mesos and even new skills. There are so many rewards you can get while doing quests for people.

Just to show you what I mean, I will hand you a small token. This ring might be powerless now, but I'm sure we will be able to do something with it. Help people, and come back to me after you have done 100 quests.
    Reward:
    Quest Ring x1

Completed: The "Q" hotkey shows me the quest interface, and the "L" hotkey shows me the quests I'm currently doing. Athena Pierce also gave me a ring. It has no powers, but she told me that, after I do 100 quests, we will be able to do something with the ring. I wonder what does she mean?

Upgrading the Quest Ring 1
    Job Quest
    Level 10+
    NPC: Athena Pierce

Available: People have told me that Athena Pierce has been looking for me. I wonder what does she want?

Accepting quest:
    Hello there, [IGN]. I have heard of all the wonderful things you have done around Victoria Island, and even in other continents. People have talked with me left and right about an archer whose exploits are unmatched. I know that archer is you, isn't that so?

Quest Rejected:
    [NO DIALOGUE]

Quest Accepted:
    Bring me 5 Bronze Plates and your Quest Ring, please. I think you deserve a reward.

Mission:
    Quest Ring x1
    Bronze Plate x5

In Progress: Athena Pierce asked me to give her the Quest Ring, and 5 Bronze Plates. She says I deserve a reward after all of my good deeds. Helping others surely pays off!

Quest Ring 0/1
    Bronze Plate 0/5

Delivering quest:
    Thank you for the items! Give them to me for a second and I will show you what I can do.

There we go. Thank you so much for giving archers everywhere a good name. I upgraded your Quest Ring, and it now has actual powers. I hope you enjoy your new ring! I'm not a refiner, far from it, so I doubt I can help you upgrade it any further. Maybe someone else in another continent will help, if you do at least 200 quests. I wish you the best of luck.

Reward:
    Quest Ring x1

Completed: Athena Pierce gave actual powers to my Quest Ring! She says that her refining skills are not the best, so she will not upgrade it any further. However, if I complete 200 quests, someone else might. Let's get to it!

9. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    2:05 PM
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    Requires a period at the end.

Either "I wonder what she wants?" or "What does she want?"

Man...I'm OCD grammar correcting stuff that isn't even in the game...LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE TO ME!!!

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  10. AzamatBagato

AzamatBagato Timer

Jul 19, 2017
    Male
    Sweden
    11:05 PM
    AzamatBagato
    Thief
    Demure
    I like this idea a lot. I already done every quest in the game and I can say that about 80-90% of the rewards are useless. However, a ring might be a little to much since there is already a ring for monster cards and others. I would like to see maybe adding medals instead. Like quest medals, veteran adventurer, junior adventurer and so on. Each medal could give a boost of +1-5 in stats and +10-100 HP/MP. There are already to many rings. I can't even use all of my rings. You get a ring from monster bock, ring from events, ring from getting married, ring from Elin forest quests, rings from nx cash shop. I don't think adding an other ring would be the way to go. Adding medals or some other reward that players can accomplish for doing quests would be really motivated tho. So I'm glad you brought this up.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    3:05 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    This outlook is pretty much wrong, though.

If a quest has good rewards, anyone can and should do it... if they don't... well, that's their choice. Again, people frequently make this choice. Get a nice scroll you can sell for 10m? One hour of grinding/selling leech makes more than that.

And besides, the vast majority of quests (aside from low level ones which are actually meant for helping beginners and first jobbers along), do have crappy rewards. So if all you are doing is cherry picking the quests with decent rewards, you aren't going to have enough for a ring.

Questers do ALL the quests, even the "bad reward" ones. Only when doing all of these bad quests, could you possibly hope to acquire a quest ring, so talking about how there are a few worthwhile quests is pointless.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. OP
    OP
    iara

iara Mushmom

Jul 1, 2018
    Female
    Iara
    Crossbowman
    I like most of your post except this part. Most of the rings that exist are cosmetic only, besides Ellin, Monster an d event. If I could choose, I would apply the Quest ring on the spot.
    The stats don't have to be outrageous. But just a bonus. I mean, questing is important. We have a ranking about it, do we not?

13. Luscious

Luscious Mr. Anchor

May 2, 2017
    Male
    Luscious, MoeMoe, Spicy
    Demure
    This is factually incorrect. You need at least 7600 HP after HB (4800 before HB) only for legs/tail magic attack. After legs/tail you only need 5600 HP to survive magic attacks. If you have 4800 HP before HB, you can fully do HT. A level 155 NL will normally have a base HP of 3953 before any other HP gear/boosts. With a deputy star, ellin ring, and T7 MB ring, you can achieve this with NO WASHING AT ALL NOT EVEN ONCE. Yes, you will need to rely on HB and use power elixirs and be vigilant of dispel, but that doesn't mean that it is impossible. The reason why 5600 HP is recommended (not required) is to survive magic attacks after legs/tail without HB which is a luxury that doesn't even take much effort to achieve.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Luscious

Luscious Mr. Anchor

May 2, 2017
    Male
    Luscious, MoeMoe, Spicy
    Demure
    As for the actual ring suggestion, I'm indifferrent. I have many quests done on multiple characters, it's an aspect of ML that I enjoy. I just don't think that more stats from rings are necessary. Ideally I'd like to see some of the stats from the MB ring be lowered and transfered to a quest ring so it's more spread out.

This was also already discussed in this thread...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 1