1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

range (ATK) of 1 Handed swords

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Magen, Mar 2, 2021.

your opinion -

1. Agree

10 vote(s)
    25.6%
  2. Disagree

24 vote(s)
    61.5%
  3. Agree, with different idea.

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. Magen

Magen Selkie Jr.

Mar 31, 2020
    Male
    1:31 AM
    bishopmage
    Cleric
    active
    Hey guys!
    before you start to read,
    Its ok to disagree and Its ok if we all have different opinion about how the game should look like, all im asking is keep the good vibes and no hate please.

Introduction:
    as many of you knows, Heroes and Paladins are the only class that using swords in game.
    I will not talk about axes and maces simply because I dont have enough knowledge about it and there is a thread on axes as well so no reason to repeat about that.

In this thread when I use the word "range" it will point about the stats range (attack) and not how far it can hit(the distance as this also changed by staff comp. vanila version of v62).

So, how game actually calculate your range ?
    • If you use 2handed sword, you can't wear a shield - so game multiple your range by 120% (also found sources that wrote 115% from all gear but from self check i found 120% accurate to Legends server- dont hate me if im wrong).
    • If you use 1handed sword, you CAN use a shield to boost your attack, but game not adding you any thing into your range.
      As 1 handed speed you can benefit a better speed compare to 2handed sword (not all cases) in terms of no Si.

Sword Speeds:
    for end game swords there are the follow swords:
    • Red Katana / NT swords -
      these swords are speed 4 which basically means you are not relly on Si, and you also can't benefit from Si. as for 1handed sword, this may be your best choice to go if you dont wanna relly on Si.
    • Sparta/Dragon Carabella -
      these swords are speed 5 which basically mwans you can benefit from Si.
      Si will buff you +1 speed than your booster (+3 total).
    • Dragon Claymore / 2h NT swords / timeless or reverse 2handed swords -
      these swords are speed 6 which means you mostly relly on Si and you get the best benefit of speed from it. fully +2 speed from Si compare to booster and +4 total.

Si / Booster:
    • Si - boost your speed up to +4, either way you cant be faster than fast 2.
      Example : if you using NT sword - Si will buff you +2 speed, but if you use Claymore Si will buff you +4 speed.
    • Warrior booster - boost your speed up to +2.
    Conclusion-
    for end game weapon - as you can calculate your self, no matter what sword you use as 1handed sword, you cant be equal to 2handed sword.
    for example :
    2handed sword of 140att total will be equal to 168 attack to 1handed sword.
    so even if you use a 20+ attack shield and perfect dragon carabella or w.e. you cant even get a similar/equal damage as 2handed swords.
    the remain question - Is it right to have only one and only way to get your character to the end game point?

Side points -
    • Using apple /pot also will buff you less compare to 2handed sword.
    • what if you dont like the way 2handed sword looks and the animation?

The suggestion -
    Before you all jumping over me and wish me to die, no I dont want to nerf 2 handed sword.
    My suggestion is to multiple the the range of 1 handed swords by the following options:
    • 1.05 to 1.07 to 1h sword.
    • 1.05 to 1h sword and 1.1 to the shield.
    what will the suggestion cause?
    • 1 handed sword will be more viable since it could be equal or semi equal to 2handed sword users.
    • 1 handed swords prices will be raised abit (now perfect Sparta is like 1m compare to lv100 weapon of other classes this is the lowest valueable lv 100 weapon)
    • you could play your gaming style without pay off of your range
    • 2 option of end game style will be viable (althought 2handed sword will be always better cause of apple terms)

I also added a vote option, please read it all before you vote.
    Thanks for reading,
    Magen.

EDIT -
    If you put "agree with a different idea" please comment your idea :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. deer

deer Pac Pinky

Oct 27, 2020
    Female
    Oddville
    10:31 PM
    cervid
    Bishop
    Oddjobs
    1H swords have a PSM (primary stat multiplier) of 4.0; 2H swords have a PSM of 4.6. So saying things like "multiplies your range by 120%" isn't actually meaningful in this context. The actual process of generating the (raw) damage range is already significantly more complicated than that.

See:

https://ayumilovemaple.wordpress.com/2009/09/06/maplestory-formula-compilation/

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. OP
    OP
    Magen

Magen Selkie Jr.

Mar 31, 2020
    Male
    bishopmage
    Cleric
    active
    Thanks for the Info im always happy to learn OnionF6

Ive seen so many formulas and theories about the diffrences so I cant really know how it calculate in this server.

My suggestion still stands though, Still think 1Handed sword need a little boost to be comperative to 2handed swords OnionSpark

4. deer

deer Pac Pinky

Oct 27, 2020
    Female
    Oddville
    cervid
    Bishop
    Oddjobs
    The formulae in the linked formula compilation pertaining to swords is accurate to MapleLegends (as these things are unchanged in MapleLegends relative to GMS v62). If you want a calculator to make doing related calculations easier, you can use mine: https://oddjobs.codeberg.page/dmg-calc/. The formulae in the AyumiLove compilation (actually originally due to Technolink) will give you exactly correct ranges, which you can confirm in-game using the CHARACTER STATS window.

5. OP
    OP
    Magen

Magen Selkie Jr.

Mar 31, 2020
    Male
    bishopmage
    Cleric
    active
    I find it actually very nice and cool tool, but it seems to be not accurate to my range, maybe im not using it right.
    Anyways thanks for that.
    Also a thing I want to mentioned is my character's range is actually very accurate when im using 1h+shield and match att of 2handed sword attack (thinking wise of 20% boost to 2handed sword)
    this is also the reason why I mentioned 20% in the thread, could be accidental.

6. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    7:31 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    6:31 PM
    DMsRebirth
    You use sword and board for more defense (which in ML comes in the form of Guardian) and two-handed weapons for more damage. This is true in EVERY SINGLE RPG out there (that have such a choice to begin with) and I see no reason why ML needs to be different.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    Magen

Magen Selkie Jr.

Mar 31, 2020
    Male
    bishopmage
    Cleric
    active
    Thank you Nise!
    the formula is the same as deer mentioned.
    I think its even worse then what I thought it is LOL.
    cause the gap between the swords just getting bigger and bigger due the levels
    so lets say someone has 1000STR the gap of attack would be 0.6*1000? (1handed sword x4 while 2handed sword x4.6) = 600 in stats range? correct me if im wrong please.
    so as the player lvl more, the gap getting greater and greater?
    thats what my suggestion actually about, let the best gear wins without relat it to the player gaming style?

If you take a look on 1handed sword VS 2 handed sword you will see that 1h starting at 4.8 ish and ended at 10.35 ish (?) while 2h starting at 7.9 to 11.9 ish(talking about heroes but true for paladins too with diff values)
    and my point is - In term of Si, even if you use perfect weapons, 2h sword is just on it's base is better which i find a little broken.
    the question remains : wont we have more fun to see 1h swords get a bit buff? so they will be more close to 2handed sword?
    side point - speed 5 swords just not relevant to end-game comperation even though its HT drops (Dragon weapons).

9. deer

deer Pac Pinky

Oct 27, 2020
    Female
    Oddville
    cervid
    Bishop
    Oddjobs
    Only if you ignore contributions due to DEX, mastery, WATK, etc. Also, note that the lower (minimum) and upper (maximum) numbers of the range are calculated using different formulae, so you can't talk about range as if it's just a single number.

The formulae are the same because the formulae are precisely accurate to both GMS v62 and to MapleLegends.

10. Devilize

Devilize Red Snail

Oct 22, 2019
    Devilize
    Warrior
    With STR and W.Atk being the same, the theory with 1hand vs 2hand is that as a 1handed player, you're trying to make up a 15% deficit ((4.6-4)/4) in STR range from 1) the additional W.Atk you recieve from a shield, and 2) the additional dpm from a faster sword.

1) A perfect Timeless Nibleheim has (114+10+35) = 159 W.Atk.
    A perfect 1hand Speargrave (105+35)= 140 W.Atk and a perfect Maple Shield has 30 W.Atk, for a total of 170 W.Atk

(170 - 159) / 159 = makes up about a 7% difference.

Note that the Maple Shield in theory could have more W.Atk with chaos scrolls.
    Also note that, yes more W.Atk from other sources benefit the 2Handed user more. (closes the gap from a % perspective)

2) With SI, 1 handed Speargrave and 2handed Timeless have the same speed. Meaning a 2handed Timeless is about 8% stronger than 1handed Speargrave

Without SI, 1handed Speargrave has a 630ms attack (brandish/blast)
    Without SI, 2handed Timeless has a 750ms attack (brandish/blast)

(750-630) / 630 = makes up about a 19% difference. (for those curious, a StoneTooth Fast 5 has a 690ms brandish/blast, which is about a 9.5% difference)

Without SI, a 1handed Speargrave user is about (19+7)-(15) = 11% stronger than a 2handed Timeless user. This does not account for Guardian, which will boost the 1Handed user's effective DPM.

Seems pretty balanced to me.

Correct me if my math is wrong, but this is what I've gathered about v.62 warrior formulas.

• Like Like x 3
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  11. OP
    OP
    Magen

Magen Selkie Jr.

Mar 31, 2020
    Male
    bishopmage
    Cleric
    active
    Its all about posibility and probability.
    Its almost 6 years since legends launched and yet i didnt see any shield greater than 23 att (and im not even sure about that) I would say the same thing about the 159 sword (although Timeless equips up only for 6 months?).

If you take 159 att sword you should take in your calculation the boost you get into your stats that you get from 2handed sword which is 15%, so it be like about 182.85 total attack comparing the 1handed sword of 170att, yet I dont believe there will be ever 30 att maple shield in the server and not even talking about the base dex you need to wear 1handed NT sword.

To be honest, I think it may be better to compare 1h NT sword to 2h NT sword (also more fair since there is timeless 1handed sword as well).
    So, Yea 0.6/4 is 15% and it what makes the range pop up like crazy when the warrior wear 2handed sword, so even if we take 148 2h NT sword, it will be equal to 170 att for 1h sword+shield.
    Yes, if you take 140 NT sword and 30 att shield is about equal stats range (ignoring the dex for the example), but yet again posibility and probability while you need 7slots to get perfect 2handed sword, for 1handed sword you need 17 slots.
    while you can see 148 2h sword in the server (not alot, but they are exist) you cant see 30att shield and barely 140 att 1h nt sword.

you barely can see it, because when we talking about end game content we assume that Si will be there. so what will cause you spent your WS on 17 slots when you can achieve better on 2handed sword?

12. Kirisame

Kirisame Selkie Jr.

Jul 5, 2018
    6:31 AM
    Peke
    Night Lord
    Pigu
    Nice calculation, but I think there can be some improvements.

When calculating total WATT, we should add attack from potion, gloves, capes and MoN (maybe shoes as well), which makes the difference less than 7%.

Another fact is, perfecting 17 slots is much more difficult than perfecting 7 slots. To make fair comparison, maybe we should assume the shield WATT around 22 instead of 30.

Maybe we should consider real world situation (good-enough stats, reasonable investment) also, besides the perfect situation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Kirisame

Kirisame Selkie Jr.

Jul 5, 2018
    6:31 AM
    Peke
    Night Lord
    Pigu
    However, tweaking the formula will affect the early game, make the glowing whip even more OP.

I think the skill Guardian should be considered for balancing also. It adds diversity to the game. You don't get more raw dpm, but you get knocked back less often, and more survivability (tankiness).

14. Devilize

Devilize Red Snail

Oct 22, 2019
    Devilize
    Warrior
    Hey, I agree with some of your points.

Like I mentioned previously, other W.Atk sources (like from gloves, capes, pendants, shoes, and buffs) benefit the 2handed user more as it closes the W.Atk gap from a % perspective.

Since we are assuming perfect gear, let's take the following:

23 W.Atk BWG
    18 W.Atk PGC
    10 W.Atk MoN
    20 W.Atk Cider
    Note, I don't know how much stompers can realistically chaos to, so I will leave it out for now.

In total, we get an extra 71 W.Atk from other sources.

Plugging that into my previous post, we have:

1) A perfect Timeless Nibleheim has (114+10+35) = 159 W.Atk with an additional 71 W.Atk from other sources. (159+71 = 230)
    A perfect 1hand Speargrave (105+35)= 140 W.Atk and a perfect Maple Shield has 30 W.Atk, for a total of 170 W.Atk with an additional 71 W.Atk from other sources. (170+71 = 241)

(241 - 230) / 230 = makes up about a 4.8% difference.

With SI, a 2handed Timeless is about 10.2% stronger than 1handed Speargrave

Without SI, a 1handed Speargrave user is about (19+4.8)-(15) = 8.8% stronger than a 2handed Timeless user.

Regarding your point about 17 slots vs 7 - This was probably a more valid point before timeless weapons existed.

I say that because the probability to +10 W.Atk a timeless weapon from level up is roughly 0.04%, meaning you would need on average 243~244 perfect timeless weapons to achieve a +10 W.Atk level up.
    Note that I'm assuming there's an equal chance to see +0, +1 and +2 on each level up. Skewing these numbers will wildly change the probability above.

I think that in it self balances out the additional cost of perfecting 10 slots on the shield.

The boost of 15% from going 1hand to 2hand applies to the STR portion of your range calculation.

Each point of W.Atk has the same effect on range calculation on both 1hand and 2hand.

Maybe I'm missing your point.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    I'm always curioused why ppls always love to calc and compare in condition of 'perfectend every numbers' when actual in-game situation is far beyond from it and nobody care a fk for it unless run fails......

• Agree Agree x 6
  16. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    BUT NUMBERS T-T

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    That's how people use statistics to lie; they cherry pick the scenarios that represent their interest the most and present it as if it's the universal truth.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. deer

deer Pac Pinky

Oct 27, 2020
    Female
    Oddville
    cervid
    Bishop
    Oddjobs
    I'd like to reiterate that y'all are still ignoring DEX, which is going to give some skewed numbers (in addition to the skewing towards perfection that Huiae rightfully pointed out).

19. OP
    OP
    Magen

Magen Selkie Jr.

Mar 31, 2020
    Male
    bishopmage
    Cleric
    active
    30att shield is still valid point as not realistic to be.
    why?
    server is up for 6 years and still something no one see, it would be nice to get GM check about it though (if it exist or not) I bet it is not.

Also 1handed sword and 2handed sword both exist as timeless and reverse weapons, so I think it be more valid to comapre lv120 weapon to lv120 weapon.
    but, lets leave lv120 weapons for now and focus on NT/Dragon weapons cause these seems to be more realistic to get them perfect than lv120 weapons. (as 1handed and 2handed as well).

Lets take the cenerio of Si is gurenteed.
    you need max out your items within 17 slots compare to 7 of 2handed, and still you will be weaker than 2handed sword by 10% ish (on perfect items)??
    is it really balanced to you? :O
    I think if we take more realistic items like lets say 22att shield (2 30% and 8 of 60/70)and perfect 1handed swords like Carabella 143 att/NT 140att and calculate all together with to 145 to 148 2handed sword (which I think same budget but correct me if im wrong) 2handed users will get greater gap than 10% right?.

so with maxing 17 slots which defenitly harder than 7slots, you be still behind by 10% or greater in terms of Si.
    this what my thread is about, not making 1handed over power, but just more compareable and reasonable to 2handed swords.

survivablity-
    both users get stance of 90%, lets take the cenerio stance failed to work cause this is what should make Guardian users get benefit as they not getting knockedback.
    on this 10% of Stance failed to work, you can benefit from Guardian, so the greater chances to not get knocked-back while stance is failed to work is only 2% out of the whole 10% chances (as base its 20%).
    while Guardian is REALLY nice to have, its not that helpfull to close the gap between 2handed users and 1handed users.
    no I do not ask to buff guardian, this is just an example the survivablity is not that great compare to 2handed swords.
    dex is too small, and not major thing to both kind of players which is basically no more than 125 and no less than 90 to 80.
    also, it will be extremely hard to get 125dex with no base dex, with out using htp (so you cant benefit from mon), dex bottomwear (so you cant wear str pants) and so on.
    so every 5.5 points 1h user lost for dex should be also calculated as minus attack to comparing the1h/2h.

If i could i would double like it, and thats why im asking to use realistics cenerios of items to both sides (1h/2h) to be able to check starter/mid/end game gear.

20. Jaynus

Jaynus Timer

Mar 19, 2020
    Male
    8:31 AM
    Dralith
    Beginner, Camper, Islander
    You haven't seen any shields >23wa?

I've never seen a +5 cape with +25 weap def and 15 magic def.

Don't blame the game if it's not the meta