1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Rant] Multi-client - Are we forgetting why we play games?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Myungsoo, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Myungsoo

Myungsoo Slimy

Apr 10, 2020
    Male
    12:05 AM
    Robinn
    Crossbowman
    Why do we even play games
    Are we forgetting why we play video games? Whenever I play a video game, I do it for the sole purpose of taking a break from my personal study/work life. I want to relax and take things slow. And yes, no one is stopping me from not multi-clienting. But here I am, with 5 tabs open to be more efficient at my grinding, completely forgetting why I play this game in the first place. Obviously some people play to win, but not me. And that's why I'm here ranting. Perhaps your idea of fun is getting the most out of this game, which I guess is a fair argument, but really ask yourself why. Why not just take things slow and have a chat with your friends instead of quintuple clienting your way into 200. Maplestory is a game, so I will stop treating my character(s) like a company.

Maplestory versus other games
    Maplestory is the only game I ever multi client in. Every other game I just play to relax. Perhaps this is selling Maplestory short for the great game design Wizet intended along with the beautiful music when I'm strolling through deep Ludibrium or early in to Ellinia. Pretty sure Wizet never intended this to happen, but that's just how this game is designed.

Enjoying the game
    Every time I tell myself not to multi-client, I persuade myself with the excuse ''if I multi-client now, I'll get to where I want faster so I will start having fun when I get there''. But to think about it, that's so dumb. I'm literally playing a video game for having fun LATER. That's crazy. Another excuse that comes to me often is ''Well HP washing is a necessity, so I kind of HAVE to multi client''. And although (somewhat) true. So what? Do I have to become Augustus of Maplestory where I collect all resources to myself? I made a F/P mage to level 145 along with a 83 Priest for the sole purpose of leveling my alts such that they can HP wash. And even though I do not like the idea of doing it, here I am doing leeching myself.

From now on
    So now what? It's obviously better to multi-client, you get to your milestones faster such that a tiny rush of dopamine that will probably last for no more than 600 seconds enter your spirit. Well, for HP washing purpose I will still multi-client because of how expensive it is to buy hundreds of hours of leech on a 250 INT archer and the game will literally burn me out if I don't do it which is also heavily contradictory. So from now on I will multi client if I either leech someone or my party needs Holy Symbol. No more haste, HB, SE, SI or Heaven's Hammer mule.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    8:05 AM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    There are various ways to enjoy this game. No one can say one is 'correct and healthy' and another is 'wrong and wicked'.

As who multiclients like hell so I can do stuffs which nobody can do beside me, I really enjoy such building structure/strategy and enjoying my power, pushing myself toward limit of myself instead of paperweighting 50mins for cleaving cwkpq, and use such ability to help friends around myself.

again, It's not correct/wrong answerable question. I do like that, but I never persuade person who enjoys chilling life to do like me. imo, it's still area of choice. Do as your heart leads, and feel fun. If you can't feel fun on some way, it's wrong way. but if you do, it's correct.

Going faster, and hitting your goal efficiency, isn't everything of this game. I hope to say, ask yourself, you're really enjoying every moments or not. this is something. again, shoutout to SlimeSlime. you taught me what 'Carpe Diem' is. really appreciated <3

+ I was multiclienter from even when ML didn't support multiclienting. personally, removing restriction was really nice, to lower hurdle and make 'multiclient' option viable for much more players. for fairness.

++ opening 10 clients is available for every players but making 10 characters suitable with purpose and operating those fluently is completely different matter.

3. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    4:05 PM
    Wizet/Neckson never intended it to be able to multi-client, but people found out ways to open more than one client using a website or through a different third-party source.

Someone made a website back then that would open as an ad pop up in your browser that launched another client, there was a guide on youtube that let you play maplestory on your firefox browser as long as you had the files to play normally. Do you want another client open? open another tab type thing.

Private servers made multi-clienting work because people had more than one pc and it wouldn't be "fair" to the ones that only had one device, and obviously maplestory wasn't intended to be able to run on a mac. But here we are, playing maplestory on a mac. :)

4. Vowels

Vowels Slimy

Jan 23, 2019
    8:05 PM
    untrue
    Bishop
    Pasta
    there's simply not an objective way of having fun, I think tryhards enjoy what they do but then there's players that try to adopt their gameplay and end up sick of the game and no one forces anyone but that's the power of the meta I guess. Regardless, to each his own there's many people in the game that have genuine enjoyment multiclienting and if you feel it's unfun you shouldn't project those feelings onto others because they might be very well enjoying themselves

• Agree Agree x 11
  5. OP
    OP
    Myungsoo

Myungsoo Slimy

Apr 10, 2020
    Male
    12:05 AM
    Robinn
    Crossbowman
    I was very careful about my wording to make sure I wasn't projecting anything on anyone but myself.

This was more a 'note to self' and somewhat a wake up call for people who feel the same. Never to project anything on anyone.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    4:05 PM
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    It's about finding like-minded people I suppose. I generally don't enjoy multiclienting either, and am past the point of caring how efficient I am being, as the time I spent enjoying myself feels a lot less wasted than the time spent building characters efficiently. At the same time I don't detest those who play efficiently either, many I'd call friends while a couple I can just muster some pity for. People are a mixed bag, and I've played with them all.

Nobody tries much to stop me from playing how I feel like playing. And those who do try to tell me I'm not playing right I can generally just laugh at as they are usually pretty wrong and uninformed, which happens a fair amount if you're doing off-meta training in third job(tears of Bigfoot hunters are salty and delicious).

The game isn't going anywhere, and it became enjoyable once more when I understood that. For just about every point I agree, but it's something I can accept as their impact on my experience is rather small.

• Like Like x 2
  7. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    7:05 AM
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    Besides your point here (which I agree with), I often find it funny that people go through all this hard, hard work to create the perfect character, which is....an archer/assassin that holds one button at the same 3 bosses the game has to offer, for 1-2 hours on end. To earn relatively minor profits compared to what you could do if you just used those mages to farm and sell leech. While enjoying "gameplay" that would make me fall asleep in 2 minutes.

I get especially irritated at the "as a warrior you should get to 30k hp, it helps you boSs CoMfORTAbLY" and I'm like holy fuck at horntail it already takes like 4 hits to kill an unwashed level 170 character (like Adra), how much more CoMfORTAbLe can things get? Should the game play itself?

So to me, washing a character (especially to ludicrous degrees), would be having no fun now to have even less fun later, if that's even possible.

Obviously, everyone has fun in different ways, and I don't look down on those who spent more effort to achieve their in-game goals at all, that would be a really silly thing to get salty about. Some people legit think it would be nice to have a character they can play while watching netflix, or maybe they gotta take care of kids while gaming or something idk.

But sometimes I'm glad I only play 1 character, and treat this game more as a social media platform. Sometimes I think Annolis, ML's greatest role-player, has it right and probably has the most fun out of all of us here. Either that or Liny's batshit insane, video-worthy experiments. Now that's some good fun.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. ahotbanana

ahotbanana Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    11:05 PM
    This kind of talk has always felt like a false dichotomy to me. So often people say things like
    but the most fun I have in this in game is grinding while talking with friends. The beauty of this game to me is that it's mindless enough to not interfere with conversation, but it's also eventful enough that it can help pad out quiet bits in conversation and occasionally gives you something to talk about as well (even if it's just things like "oh, I missed HB, can you rebuff?"). I don't see how multiclienting interferes with this whatsoever.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    5:05 PM
    Skucci
    Shadower
    No matter which way you play, 99% of enjoyment is to be found in the journey, where the destination is a endless series of false summits, each providing only an ephemeral sense of accomplishment before the next climb looms ahead. The way our human brains are wired, you are unable to experience any positive emotion until you have an aim and you are moving toward that aim.

So true KEK. There's basically only two reasons to boss when leeching/farming is already so toweringly dominant in terms of time efficiency:
    1. It's the most interesting thing you can do in the endgame. Good bossing requires organization, leadership, teamwork, and individual skill, EVEN IF the one-dimensional, one-button classes of this game make other MMOs look like fucking pro StarCraft. (That's a big reason why multi-clienting is a dominant strategy - because individual characters are so damn easy to control)
    2. Being a player who bosses is 100% a status symbol. Maple is a flex game, and those with the biggest numbers get to flex the most. Basically, if you HT/PB, you get to hang out at the cool kids' table. Kind of pathetic, but hey we're all grown adults playing a mushroomgame and taking it seriously. coolmush

• Agree Agree x 1