1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Remove Pickpocket's 200 Meso Cap

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Skuire, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    2:38 AM
    Skucci
    Shadower
    [​IMG]
    The Chief Bandit skill Pickpocket is a buff that causes mobs to drop mesos when hit. The amount of mesos dropped is dependent on damage dealt (more damage = more mesos). Currently, the amount of mesos you can obtain from a single Pickpocket drop is capped at 200.

It was disappointing to learn that I've hit the ceiling and there's no going up from here... any chance we could remove the 200 cap and allow Pickpocket to keep scaling up the stronger you get?

Also as a bonus suggestion: currently Assassinate doesn't work with Pickpocket. No mesos are dropped. Would be very nice if that was fixed too.

also maybe we could make SE work with nate too.. haha jk unless???

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Great Work Great Work x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    10:38 AM
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    Assasinate looks like the skill u cant change so It seems It Will be like it will stay that way.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  3. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    1:38 AM
    They changed this in KMS and GMS not sure about the others though.

I think its a bug that interacts with it because all attacks should drop mesos, even a regular attack should drop mesos if Pick Pocket is being used.

4. s0mething

s0mething Capt. Latanica

May 4, 2019
    So in addition to shadowers excelling at grinding (shads can get 80-105m eph at 7F), you’re suggesting to buff their ability for meso farming as well? Full disclosure: I actually don't how much shads make with pick pocket.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't staff trying to slow down meso generation in an attempt to control the economy and not let things get too overly inflated?

5. OP
    OP
    Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    2:38 AM
    Skucci
    Shadower
    From what I understand it's something like 20k damage = 200 meso drop (at a 60% rate w/ maxed PP).
    20k (x2) bstep is like, a decently geared/leveled shad = 240 meso drop per target (200 * 120%)
    30k (x2) bstep is a very powerful shad = 360 meso drop per target (300 * 120%)
    40k (x2) bstep is endgame perfection = 480 on average per target (400 * 120%)

The change is really not much. As far as meso generation goes, the 24 hr leech cycle probably accounts for thousands of times more mesos generated than grinding/farming shads. This likely wouldn't cause any noticeable change (except shads being a bit less poor).

Assassinate dropping mesos on each line might be too nutty tho.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. IHearColors

IHearColors Timer

Jul 1, 2017
    Male
    Shadower, I/L Arch Mage, Bandit
    Yes, make them better than mages lol

In all seriousness, pickpocket at max level has a 60% proc chance every time you hit. Assuming you can hit 20k+ per hit of boomerang step, thats 2 60% chances to drop 200 meso, averaging out to some 960 meso per boomerang step assuming you hit all 4 targets. Someone should actually test this though and see if this is actually significant.

I don't know if the staff are or not, but there are plenty of other methods of generating meso that would take precedent over Shads pickpocket if they were to do so.

Pickpocket is really only used to gain that extra bit of meso as the damage output for ME is not worth it. Its basically a worse and more inconsistent meso up

7. SwordnBoard

SwordnBoard Selkie Jr.

Jun 17, 2017
    Male
    9:38 AM
    SwordnBoard
    Paladin
    TeaDrinkers
    With having just started up a bandit recently im all for this.

Take my support!

8. Tate

Tate Capt. Latanica

Apr 16, 2020
    New Zealand
    8:38 PM
    Potayto
    Shadower
    Beaters
    I'll test this when i'm home, but for what its worth being stuck in my 7f prison home eyeballing it all i can definitely say that pickpocket will increase meso generation by atleast 20%. these bois tanky.

9. SaviorSword

SaviorSword Dark Stone Golem

Feb 9, 2020
    Male
    Aiur
    3:38 AM
    SaviorSword
    Paladin
    Bonfire
    Funny, I did recently interview some Shadowers on why they would use Pickpocket even though most wouldn't pick up the Mesos or for some bizarre reason actually use Meso Explosion at that level.

The results I got were:
    -Force of habit.
    -Meso generation for some.
    -Fuels Meso Guard.

These are all anecdotal, so consider that first.

If there was no cap on Pickpocket, could it rival their counterpart in Meso Up? Could Assassinate's crazy damage make other Meso-relate'd Skills a bit too effective? There's lots of other potential effects a capless Pickpocket might have that I'd like to explore first. Otherwise, on first impression I like the sound of this idea's change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. IHearColors

IHearColors Timer

Jul 1, 2017
    Male
    Regardless of cap or not, pickpocket outperforming meso up depends on the amount of meso the mobs drop and whether you can 1-hit them or not. Meso up is a guarenteed 50% increase for meso dropped. Not a lot of mobs drop 1000+ meso. From what I've seen, the range of 600-1000 is a pretty decent estimate for places worth grinding/money making. That's an average of an extra 400 meso per drop with meso up. Assuming you can kill these mobs in 1 hit with bstep and you get the pickpocket proc chance for both hits, it would also drop an extra 400 meso. The difference is that meso up is dependent on the mob dropping meso while pickpocket relies on the skills percent chance. Plus pickpocket requires you to pick up extra drops rather than a single meso bag. With all these factors, my initial statement about pickpocket being worse isn't necessarily true, but rather more inconsistent and tedious. Removing the cap won't really benefit shads unless they had end-game equips/absurd damage as the forumla for pickpocket is damage/100. To benefit from the cap removal is to do 20k+ per hit, which is doable for anybody a high enough level, but hitting 30k-40k without attack pots requires some ridiculously good equips.

Assassinate at a high enough level with hit over 20k, but that's hitting 4-5 times in comparison to bstep hitting a max of 8 times with 4 mobs. Unless you're in a bossing situation, bstep will drop more mesos on average. Nate damage doesn't get absurd unless you charge it (waiting 8 seconds in dark sight), where you then have the potential to hit 199k per hit, which is 2k meso if pickpocket procs. You'll rarely come across a situation where charged nate benefits you, so the cap removal won't make a big difference as you'll still make more meso if you just use uncharged nate.

11. IHearColors

IHearColors Timer

Jul 1, 2017
    Male
    The real big brain play is to make a meso up mule and use both skills. Imagine if meso up applied to pickpocket meso lol

12. Tate

Tate Capt. Latanica

Apr 16, 2020
    New Zealand
    8:38 PM
    Potayto
    Shadower
    Beaters
    For me, its definitely the three you pointed out + helps me levelup via meso explosion when i've got my INT gear on.

Perhaps if meso generation issues were indeed a huge concern, it would assumingly be better off to just make the skill have a reduced probability of processing, and scale capped to a % of your damage.

Assuming the above formula is true,

Assumptions:
    1. A solo 'modest shad' with each bstep hit dealing ~15k damage
    2. 100% guaranteed pickpocketing picks
    3. your most optimal movement always hitting 4 targets per Boomerang step.
    4. Farming at 7F
    5. Your pet loots everything so you dont waste time looting
    6. six silver giants at 225,000 hp each, two golden giants at 270,000 hp each, and nine wooden fish at 102,000 hp each
    7. 3.75 (four hits) to kill one silver giant, 4.5 (five hits) to kill one golden giant, 1.7 (two hits) to kill one wooden fish
    8. Take 3 minutes (180 seconds) to clear a wave

Calculations:

15,000 damage / 100 = 150 meso drop per hit

150 meso drop per hit * (11 total hits for mobs in the map * 17 total mobs in the map) = 28,050 pickpocket mesos per wave.

3600 seconds in an hour / 180 seconds = 20 waves per hour.

28,050 * 20 = 561,000 additional mesos per hour.

tl;dr. so a ~15k damage shadower would make an extra 561,000 mesos per hour being sneaky and pickpocketing mobs and grinding at 7f under perfect conditions.

tbh this sounds about right. cause i know i make peanuts in my prison home.

13. IHearColors

IHearColors Timer

Jul 1, 2017
    Male
    While I got no proof of the formula, the meso is definitely just the damage divided by 100 (or *0.01) as I get 146 meso if I deal 14.6k damage or any amount of numbers applicable. Hitting something like 22k results in only 200 meso, as the cap.

With that said those are some crazy perfect conditions so I'm guessing it would realistically yield something like half that amount (if that)?

Idk about others, but I never bother picking things up in 7F because the shelf platforms are just too annoying to bother with. Even with a pet, it sometimes refuses to reach for some of the shelves, so I just accept that I won't pick up most of the drops. It doesn't feel worth it to pick up all that mesos when you're getting knocked around (tfw you don't have max shifter) and losing eph as well as throwing off the spawns with your partner.

14. Holp

Holp Master Chronos Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    6:38 PM
    kKayo
    Shadower
    Toot
    I always thought of Pickpocket to be one of the lowkey broken skills especially being in a shad's kit even with the 200 cap.

We have -
    1. High avoid
    2. 40% Shifter
    3. Meso Guard
    4. Pickpocket
    Which means we pretty much gain alot more than we pay for pots.

From living at 7F I would say I'd gain around ~2m/hr minimum from straight PP mesos, around 2-3m split between party members in CWKPQ and I would assume around 3m~4m split in HT (Never tried in HT, scared of DCing :cry:).
    Without PP I assume 7F would be around 1m/hr?
    Seeing how 7F is the end-game grinding spot and we can hit everything with ease it seems abit bonkers.

Also I think apples would pay for themselves. Perma apple :shamemb:.

This is more for the fixed 7F but for looting its efficient to have at least 1 pet with the Kenta quest and one without. The one with it can jump to the higher shelf and the one without jumps to the lower shelf. I had 2 with Kenta and 1 without.

Currently they're kinda doodoo with the broken map.

15. cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    4:38 PM
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    great buff. Nice utility for a weaker class in terms of damage . But I suggest we take it a step further. And give Shadowers the ability to steal HT splits and Mesos from players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. aaronis

aaronis Slimy

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Shadower
    Beaters
    can we take this one step further and also make pickpocket work with meso up so I can go 1 hit bstep ulu2 farm on my shadower and finally escape poverty

17. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    10:38 AM
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    Lol I dont know why u guys disagree, I didnt said that It shouldnt I said that assasinate seems a hard skill to modify. They got It to do more hits but they couldnt make the firts hits crit on se and I think a lot of things cant be changed like the charge time to full damage of removing the need to use dark sight o.o So like Bucc's transform seems like a skill that is hard to change haha

18. Asheesh

Asheesh Mano

Jul 3, 2017
    Male
    9:38 AM
    Wait, people actually think we make loads of mesos at 7F? I at level 133 doing 14k - 19k damage per line barely break even (not even including pot cost technically I’m in the negative per grind session) granted I don’t go out my way to pick up mesos (it’s reeaalllyy annoying) I just let my pet do the work.

I personally don’t think removing the cap will make shads broken in terms of Meso farming, maybe I will actually make mesos when grinding which shouldn’t be a problem.

For some reason I can’t remember but if you hit for example a snail with 20k damage, do you still get 200 mesos?, if so then maybe that could be a problem (or maybe not)

my personal view is pickpocket is barely useful for most late game grinding since it just get soaked up by Meso guard anyway. Maybe that was the intention, I dunno.
    I think at least increasing the cap maybe to 300 would be at most a nice LITTLE boost to shad’s Meso efficiency (granted we have a lot of skills to prevent using pots)

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. IHearColors

IHearColors Timer

Jul 1, 2017
    Male
    I think the difficulty with changing assassinate mainly lies in it being unaffected by SE. They rebalanced nate to not only do 4 hits instead of 3, but they also decreased the full charge time from 10 to 8 seconds, so they are definitely capable of at least some modification. But why would you remove the need for dark sight entirely? (kinda takes away from the skill tbh)

Pickpocket drops only depend on how much damage you do, so hitting a snail with 20k will drop 200 meso, though I'm not sure how that really poses a problem. If you're hitting that much damage, you benefit from going to higher level mobs that drop more meso. I mean I guess you save up on meso guard since you're not getting hit, but you definitely won't net more for going to really low lvl mobs.

There are plenty of skills that become obsolete by 4th job, or are just obsolete in general so pickpocket wouldn't be exempt from that. Even still, I think pickpocket is plenty useful in 4th job, even if it only break even with meso guard. Utilizing pickpocket well will result in some gain of meso, just not as drastic as what others might think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. asaniqq

asaniqq Mushmom

Jun 5, 2018
    Beasee
    Shadower
    I dunno, it seems ok as is. I always have pickpocket on in HT and over a 80 minute run where I'm cleaving 4 parts for over half of that time, my 5 party members reporting looting around 200k of meso (I usually see a net gain of about 50k)

But I can see a point to be made that improving pickpocket droprates will help further solidify Shadowers as the best cleave class for HT because those meso loots could certainly buffer splits from really dry runs. ;)