1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing crashes with 'Unknown Error'? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Running Gunbound Origins on macOS Catalina

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Kamineko, Sep 29, 2020.

Did you find this useful?

1. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Absolutely not

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Thread Status:
You must be a logged-in, registered member of this site to view further posts in this thread.
  1. Kamineko

Kamineko Blue Snail

Jun 12, 2019
    Male
    11:48 AM
    Disclaimer: I'm not an expert on the matter, I'm just sharing a way I found to play the game on macOS Catalina so other people running this OS have a way to play without installing a VM or dual booting.) You also need the SIP disabled. (I couldn't find any other way, soz)

So, because of sheer stupidity I updated from Mojave to Catalina last week completely oblivious that GunBound Origins is a 32 bit application.
    Since I'm quite lazy to restart my computer to boot windows just to play a few matches I decided to do some research on running Wine on Catalina, and I found a way to doing so.
    Did it work?

upload_2020-9-28_19-52-16.png

Yes! (ish)
    First up you need to be comfortable with terminal commands as most of this tutorial is done from a terminal program.

First up, you'll need homebrew installed on your machine, just in case you don't have it already, fire up your preferred terminal program and paste the following:
    Code:
    /bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install.sh)"
    Once it's installed, we'll need to install a Catalina compatible Wine, for that we'll just paste the following after installing homebrew:
    Code:
    brew tap gcenx/wine && brew cask install wine-crossover
    After Wine is installed, we'll need the Windows Gunbound installer, remember where you save it as we'll need the path to call the installer from the terminal.

When the download completes, return to your terminal application and move to the folder path where you saved the installer at. (eg. in my case this would be "cd ~/Downloads").

Next up, run this command:
    Code:
    wine GunboundOriginsMay22019.exe
    (or whatever name you gave to the downloaded file)

This will run the Gunbound installer, install as you normally would.

Once the installer finishes up, go back to the terminal and paste this command:
    Code:
    cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Gunbound\ Origins/
    And finally run Gunbound with:
    Code:
    wine Windowed.exe
    You need to run the Windowed.exe or else it won't work (you're free to try otherwise though), also it will only run fullscreen mode, so no windowed mode :(

You also need to have terminal running since wine is running from there.

If you got this far, well, congrats, you've got Gunbound running on Catalina. :3

Thread Status:
You must be a logged-in, registered member of this site to view further posts in this thread.