1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Self-Bishop Leech

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by xNator, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    4:33 PM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    Than only logic left on you is, "i hate this, and i don't want other ppls do what I dislike. block please".

Let me express my opinion. I do dislike grinding as NL, but I love bossing. since i dislike grinding as NL, may I suggest "make NL can't kill any mobs! i do hate killing scrub mobs with TT one by one! it's boring and tedious af"?

• Like Like x 2
  2. OP
    OP
    xNator

xNator Chronos

Dec 16, 2015
    Male
    2:33 AM
    xNator
    Night Lord
    Eternal
    Theres pros and cons to every class and i dont think the solution is to leech yourself

3. ThePotatoSalad

ThePotatoSalad Windraider

Mar 19, 2017
    Male
    Sweden
    9:33 AM
    LucyFlower/ZhanShen666
    Bishop
    ChineseSoul
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    4:33 PM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    give me solution which can understable then. instead of "i don't like it, i don't think it's right, it should be blocked".

added : again, ur training eph is already faster than selfleech?

5. Alicia

Alicia Red Snail

Mar 24, 2017
    Female
    Alicias
    Hermit
    Eternal
    Self leeching is kind of like hp washing I'm my opinion. It wasn't the original intent of the game but a tactic developed by the community to ensure a better play through for the player. If a player decide to leech themselves ... whatever its not my character. While I can see why it may need to be to "balance" the rankings or what have you I don't think it should be ban.

6. OP
    OP
    xNator

xNator Chronos

Dec 16, 2015
    Male
    xNator
    Night Lord
    Eternal
    I already told u my opinion and reasoning for it, I don't think I should have to give another solution. I'm happy to just let this thread die because it's not going anywhere

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    1:33 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    It's an option but it's the option most people take for obvious reasons.

What is the definition of broken? Well, we could probably debate endlessly and pointlessly over semantics, but I would agree with Urban Dictionary's definitions: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=broken

1. (General) Something/Someone that is so good in a particular context that it eclipses second place.

2. (Games) A game object or facility that is too good to exist. It is so powerful that it is unbalancing and hence breaks the game. Every winning player has to use this to be competitive.

3. Something that is so overpowered,that it makes all other options look terrible.

Now just stop trying to immediately form counterarguments for just one second and mull that over. Leveling a cleric, priest, and bishop is pretty easy as everyone knows. It may not be "the fastest" conceivable way to level a character, but we know that cleric grinding with heal is a breeze, as it requires zero pots and very little attention while you grind. Therefore you can easily level up a cleric (and another char too for that matter) even when starting out brand new on a server with no funding, and you can take a lot of your attention away from the game while you're doing it too, and like, read a book or watch a movie, only bothering to move your character every once in a while.

So while leveling up a cleric may not be the absolute fastest way, it's cheap and very easy, and it's the tried and true method of getting ahead. At 3rd job, once priests get holy symbol, things get even better because of the absurd exp bonus you get for a party of two. Even if you are leeching a complete deadweight, you still get more exp than going solo. That there is "broken" in the context that not only is that extremely powerful, but it makes no sense. And things are even better when a priest teams up with an attacker that actually can kill mobs faster!

In summary, the fact that everyone does something - especially so they can be competitive - is a good indicator that something is indeed broken. It may merely be an "option" players can choose to take or not take... but everyone knows leeching with a bishop is the easiest. Everyone knows you're an idiot and/or stubbornly choosing the harder path you know is harder. Therefore it's broken.

Well this is what the forums, the shoutbox, the FM, guilds, your blist, smegas, and the ML discord are for. I know there are tons of active players online even at dead times. The problem isn't that it's too hard to find other players. The problem is too many people are already leeching, or even if they are solo or duo grinding, they aren't willing to add another person to the group because they feel like it's a detriment. Too many people just cc when they see another person on a map rather than say hello or ask if they want to party. Not enough people put enough effort into asking around for people to party with, and even less people bother taking up such requests, unless they have something big to gain from it.

Well let me ask you... what if leeching and multiclienting was against the terms and conditions when you signed up? I have seen other private server of other games where the practice was explicitly prohibited.

I bet a lot of people here would be suggesting to remove these restrictions, which is fair enough. But let's just get something straight here: we're not doing anything "wrong" by suggesting a change to the terms and conditions of the server.

• Like Like x 3
  8. bbokko

bbokko Selkie Jr.

Oct 18, 2015
    Male
    Pedo Barrel
    Beginner
    DemBabuCents
    Clearly you are not a very experienced Mapler then?

This was DEFINITELY the way we played in GMS when 4th job was announced. Literally everyone who was serious about being OP would have a priests leveled up to 120 because they knew as soon as the 4th advancement was released, Genesis was going to be OP as fk. Then they used that advancement to then leech their actual "mains" (i.e. usually would be a nightlord because NL's have been favored by Neckson since like Day 1).

So self leech is probably one of the most nostalgic things you can do when it comes to leveling in a version of the game that has 4th job advancements.

If you don't remember this happening in GMS, then you were either part of the minority who played maple casually, or you were late to the game and by then the game had advanced even further where self leech was not happening anymore i.e. LHC, big bang, etc.

As far as the reason you listed for it being dumb: couldn't someone also say it's dumb to NOT use the most beneficial method available? i.e. work smart not hard? Why grind a character and take way longer to get to a high level instead of making a bishop first and then self leeching all other characters from that point on? That kind of reasoning is totally subjective not objective.

Unfairness: your reason for unfairness is that people are outleveling you? But nobody is restricting you from staying competitive and doing the same thing so... you're being unfair to yourself. Something is unfair when you don't have control over it i.e. everyone else is allowed to self leech but you are not allowed - that would be unfair. You choosing not to self leech while others do and they outlevel you = your own choice. It's not unfair if you're choosing that path for yourself.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    "Nostalgia."

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  10. bbokko

bbokko Selkie Jr.

Oct 18, 2015
    Male
    Pedo Barrel
    Beginner
    DemBabuCents
    upload_2017-3-31_9-15-38.png

So as far as you're concerned here - the majority of maplers here experience nostalgia in the way the game is designed at the moment.

For those of you here and there who have a problem with the way things are, I get it. Your nostalgia is different and that's fine, because maybe you are remembering the game at a different point in time.

But alas you are part of the minority. Seeking change is disregarding the nostalgia feeling from the overwhelming majority of the player base, to pander to the feelings of a few.

Nostalgia for the vast majority of us is owning a bishop and having the ability to self-leech. Self-leeching yourself with your own bishop is great. It is sentimental, it was a period in time with a happy association for grinding a bishop and leeching our 2nd characters because we wanted to level up fast while making easy mesos and being the best mapler we can be in the most easiest and efficient way possible.

So in reference to what I posted earlier:
    "So self leech is probably one of the most nostalgic things you can do when it comes to leveling in a version of the game that has 4th job advancements.

If you don't remember this happening in GMS, then you were either part of the minority who played maple casually, or you were late to the game and by then the game had advanced even further where self leech was not happening anymore i.e. LHC, big bang, etc."

So for those who complain that the status quo is not nostalgic, reconsider the definition based on what player base this version of the game targets.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Well according to that definition, it's "sentimental longing" or "wistful affection".

Just because something was done a certain way in the past doesn't automatically make copying it nostalgic... which is why I often bring up the scammers and hackers from GMS.

You say self-leech is one of the most nostalgic things you can do, but I really don't see how that play style is enjoyable enough to be remembered nostalgically. It was extremely efficient, but not enjoyable. I bet other people and other things brought you that level of enjoyment, but then you are attributing it to self-leech with a bishop. How could any activity which is so boring be looked at with nostalgia? It had to be coming from everything else you were doing in the mean time.

12. bbokko

bbokko Selkie Jr.

Oct 18, 2015
    Male
    Pedo Barrel
    Beginner
    DemBabuCents
    Are you saying if a building has a flight of stairs and also has an elevator, clearly the elevator is the better and faster choice to get to the top. If you were racing someone to the top, and you decided to use the stairs while they took the elevator, that you should have the audacity to complain and say their method of winning is broken because they took the easy way up there?

"Using the elevator" is not broken. That's your own hubris working against you.

• Like Like x 2
  13. bbokko

bbokko Selkie Jr.

Oct 18, 2015
    Male
    Pedo Barrel
    Beginner
    DemBabuCents
    That's just it. Your personal point of view that self-leech is boring is your own. It's not nostalgic for you, but for the majority of players it wasn't boring. It was the best. It was glorious.

You don't get to decide how the majority should feel about self-leech. The majority of us DO have a sentimental longing for the ability to self leech. We DO have a wistful affection for having the ability to get good quickly and easily. That's exactly why we do it if it's available to us - we don't think it's boring. The pros heavily outweigh the cons for it to be boring to us.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    [​IMG]
    Ok, so maybe you should go join the Olympics and do the 100 yard dash on a motorcycle?? And when they do pole vault, it's their fault they're putting themselves at a disadvantage for not using a jetpack, right??

I really don't know what else to say to you without being very nasty. You obviously don't understand the concept of an athletic competition with rules.

It was glorious just sitting there, your main character not being the badass you were trying to make him but just sitting there hanging on a rope. Meanwhile your bishop basically stands in one place spamming the same skill over and over again. For hours on end. You level up, and have 50 more longer and longer levels of this to look forward to. Woohoo.....

No man. Give me a fucking break.

• Like Like x 1
  15. bbokko

bbokko Selkie Jr.

Oct 18, 2015
    Male
    Pedo Barrel
    Beginner
    DemBabuCents
    That's just it. The rules say you can't use a motorcycle in the 100 yard dash. Nobody is allowed to do it. That's why nobody does it.

There are no such arbitrary rules here. You either fall in the competitive category of maplers or you don't. If you are competitive, you are totally on board with self leeching because you're not doing anything wrong. You are doing what it takes to get ahead within the rules of the game. You are not hacking, or scamming, or botting. It is totally legit. It was legit in GMS. It is legit here. You were allowed to do it in GMS, therefore you are allowed to do it here.

And if you're not on board with it, well then you're just a casual. Just. A. Casual.

Don't go around spewing nonsense that self leeching is wrong. It's not wrong, your hubris just wants it to be wrong because you don't like doing it, but you also want to take it away from people who gladly do it and get ahead of you.

Nobody said you can't use the elevator. The rules allow it. Don't try to change the rules just because you lost. That's just being a sore loser.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    OnionCry

Well, I've been beat. I've been exposed for being just a "casual".

I'm surprised my ruse lasted as long as it did. I mean, if I really cared about this server, I'd have been "competitive" and just made a NL and bishop like most other people, right? Right? So I guess my opinion is worthless...

Or hey. You know, the only real argument you have is that it's "not against the rules". And we're talking about changing those rules. But that's ok, let's not make self-leech against the rules because it's not against the rules! Gotcha! Totally makes sense!

17. OP
    OP
    xNator

xNator Chronos

Dec 16, 2015
    Male
    xNator
    Night Lord
    Eternal
    Lionheart, first of all i just wanted to say, i fucking love u.
    And who ever said self leeching was wrong? Im not saying that anyone who makes a bishop and leeches theirself is wrong, however, its not the way the game is supposed to be played and thats why im against it

18. Alicia

Alicia Red Snail

Mar 24, 2017
    Female
    Alicias
    Hermit
    Eternal
    bbokkobbokko you keep talking about "the majority wants self-leech" yet provide us with no evidence that that is the case. Where are your surveys? Your graphs and other academically logical sources to support your claim that the majority does want self leech? As for your thought that self-leech is nostalgic, ask anyone what their most memorable moments from maple were back in the day and they would probably say something like, "Oh I loved kiling in HHG" or "I loved pqing with friends". At least for me those are the most memorable things that bring me the most nostalgia. I highly doubt anyone (other than you....) would say that self-leeching their main was the most memorable thing to them.

19. bbokko

bbokko Selkie Jr.

Oct 18, 2015
    Male
    Pedo Barrel
    Beginner
    DemBabuCents
    Easy way to find out isn't it Alicia.

Set up a poll on the forum. 2 options.
    1 - Do you want to keep self leech?
    2 - Do you want to remove self leech?

You'll get your answer. I have a feeling you already know where the majority of votes will go.

20. Alicia

Alicia Red Snail

Mar 24, 2017
    Female
    Alicias
    Hermit
    Eternal
    Then set up a poll and find it out.....
    don't speak for the majority.....