1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Selling Map!!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by AlexSF, Feb 11, 2021.

1. SapphireJ

SapphireJ Dark Stone Golem

Aug 30, 2017
    Male
    10:26 AM
    HarmonyMagic
    Beginner
    Agape
    If you ask me already. 5 mins is already not a lot of time.

2-3 mins isn't going to solve the problem much, especially all the mules would simply just attack more - so it would create a bigger problem for leech sellers and not that much for mules. Not to mention, it could encourage semi 3rd party macroing that could be not enough evidence or virtually cannot be seen by a player or a hidden GM (I am just presuming).

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. jesscapades

jesscapades Pac Pinky

Jun 24, 2019
    Female
    10:26 PM
    jesscapades
    Shadower
    Homies
    I’m in the very small minority of people who are okay with buying/holding/selling maps. I’d draw the line at someone holding multiple channels just for resale, but if you just have one, I don’t see the issue. Maps have monetary value, and aren’t a necessity, so I don’t really understand why they *have* to be free.

It feels like people view maps as a necessity. But you don’t need to have a certain map, and not everything will just come to you for free whenever you want it. I see them more like concert tickets; I don’t support mass scalping (so that no one can get regular price tickets), but I think it’s perfectly fine for me to resell my ticket if I can’t make it to the concert anymore.

I know finding a map is an issue sometimes, but map selling is a natural solution to the problem of map scarcity. If you want to get rid of map selling, it’s probably better to make maps less scarce by either adding channels or making better alternatives to high-demand maps.

Also, not an argument, I just find it really sad that I see more smegas in response to map selling smegas than when people smega racist or triggering shit.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    7:26 PM
    I agree with 5 mins not being enough time either, but lowering it isn't going to help XD

Free to play game, not pay using in-game currency to play free to play game.

4. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    A concert ticket is a bad analogy to describe where something is free, unless you've bought a map from someone else, which shouldn't be a thing.

5. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    I see very few people selling maps, and even fewer maps actually getting sold. Granted, I don't grind in suboptimal locations like Ghost Ship, but I see very little reason why this needs addressing, regardless of what people's opinion on it may be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. randomhs

randomhs Timer

May 25, 2020
    randomHS
    Oyasumi
    the community should be working together to find a solution to map scarcity, whether it's due to an overtuned shaolin, poorly balanced alternatives, or an influx of population. it's a waste of time to be arguing about a controversial topic such as selling maps, when it could easily be better allocated to bigger problems (map scarcity) that would heavily alleviate these underlying issues.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    They're using the analogy of concert tickets as a map, to get your money back you could resell your ticket, you can't sell something thats free in the first place.

8. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    11:26 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    *looks at free water*

*looks at bottled water, that's essentially from the same place*

*thinks*

Capitalism promotes people to come up with ways to sell anything and everything T-T even stuff people get for free (or should get for free)
    *looks at healthcare*

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    Thats a good point, didn't think of it outside the bottle.

I mean, box.

10. Pundit

Pundit Pink Teddy

Jun 5, 2018
    Male
    liljer
    Bowman
    Homies
    when you quote your friendo in the chat

Disclaimer: all the concerts I go to are only attended by hippies. But in our scene it is like Public Sin #1 to resell a ticket for more than you paid for it. This is because we understand that tickets are scarce and we care more about people getting to see the show and getting some sweet, sweet jams than we do making a quick buck off of cancelled plans. The community actively decided to sell tickets at face value to ensure that, if plans change, someone can get to see the show for the price of a regular ticket.

If we make that comparison to maps in Maplelegends, most of the time someone gets a map for free. So, selling it for the same value would mean giving it away for free.

The difference I think is that in my concert scene we understand every fan as part of our community (see again, a bunch of hippies). I don't think that's how Maplelegends works, and I think that's the thing at the root of this conversation (see also sniping/hoarding HT channels). I wonder if it's possible to make that change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. iLovKimberly

iLovKimberly Headless Horseman

Feb 23, 2017
    Male
    Malaysia
    10:26 AM
    Tsukishima/ItamiYouji
    Islander, Bishop
    Halcyon
    The world is not fair. It will never be fair, and we should never expect it to be.
    But, this is not real life, this is a virtual gaming server created for a cause, to let players enjoy old school MapleStory, it can be anything we want it to be.

The question is simple.
    For Kimmy and the rest of the staff, what is your stance on map selling?
    What values/philosophies do you embrace regarding map selling?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    I think people who sell maps are a great way to get free maps tbh. Once someone smegas they are selling a certain map, even if they did it off a mule, if it's a map I want I will just surf through the channels until I find the person who smegad. Then, I will sit there and wait to snipe the map from them since there is no fail-safe way to sell a map. Makes it easier to get maps nowadays so I'm loving this new map selling fad. Keep it up!

• Great Work Great Work x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Jaewonnie

Jaewonnie Capt. Latanica

Apr 21, 2020
    Crimsonwood Mountain: Cavern of Pain
    PAWGChamp
    Buccaneer
    Also I would imagine ppl who are selling maps are ppl who have used the map (or not planning to use) and are inclined to leave if there's no interest from buyers. Just set up camp and play the wait/snipe game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Shmoo

Shmoo Horny Mushroom

Oct 16, 2020
    Male
    Shmoo
    Warrior
    From my experience I rarely if ever see maps being sold or being taken hostage and I think these S>5-6F Map megas are actually a sneaky way to get people upset so GMs change something about shaolin or even make more channels. The first guy who originally said he was selling 5-6F maps for prices at like 25m said he did it as a "joke" and didn't actually sell any maps. I don't think any action should be made against making map selling against ToS, some people may not like it that's fine then don't participate in it. Adding more channels to solve what is seriously a non-issue is a mistake.

15. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    The more savvy players have already found/made their own solution. That’s why you don’t really see the more established players complaining about these petty things as often as the general crowd.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    Even though Nise made a good point I still don't think people should sell maps even if they are mapowner, it should be under grieving because when someone wants to play the game they're being told "Hey, pay up 20mil if you want to play the game or gtfo" and thats a HUGE discouragement to continue playing or even trying to play when they don't even have enough to manage potions.

Like.. the game is free to play, not pay in-game currency to play something thats free-to-play. Someone can feel "scammed" if they get sniped from paying for it, I know that FM spots are the same because its "Free Market" but the map isn't the same in a sense that it is described as the same as Shivering said below; saying this a map seller can get the buyer sniped because the SMEGA has a whisper button next to their name with what channel they are on indicated by the small number on the icon and therefore 'scamming' them for in-game currency, whereas an FM spot isn't sold by smega (unless its quick) the title of the shop is "S>Spot" and you can visually see if someone is going to snipe it or if they're AFK there idling or there for them to "basically have you buy a map/spot for them" if someone paid 20mil for a map and lost it the same one second after the buyer would feel dismayed to continue playing the server, which it may or may not trigger a chain reaction and have a few other discontinue playing.

I know that you mean to say SMEGA but that word you used is kinda gross tbh, you could say mega'd or super megaphone, auto correct might grab that word.
    Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 11.31.31 AM.png

17. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    Or go there on a mule and trade them dwindling the timer, telling them "hmm.. let me think if I actually want to do this" then show them that you have the meso for it stall it out by typing the entire time and have your main do @mapowner to check until its gone then take it.

Something like this is why I don't really play the game, unless I go on my islander or manage my shop if I want exp, I buy leech.

But, selling the map is kind of demoralizing to someone thats new because one won't have the damage to one shot it like most would and in turn sell leech in that sniped map.

18. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    "Even though Nise made a good point I still don't think people should sell White Scroll even if they are owner, it should be under grieving because when someone wants to play the game they're being told "Hey, pay up 170mil if you want to play the game or gtfo" and thats a HUGE discouragement to continue playing or even trying to play when they don't even have enough to manage potions.

Like.. the game is free to play, not pay in-game currency to play something thats free-to-play."

Regardless of side, pay to play with in-game currency is an insane argument.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    White Scroll is an item, a map gives exp.

You play/afk too gain exp, grind/leech. Map selling should be treated the same as selling (depnding where one lives.) this shouldn't be a thing to maps.

Anyone that sells a map is low key grieving everyone, I'll give an example.

Theres a bishop at pigs and theres a level 15 there that wants to train at pig farm/pig beach however all the channels are full with mages (alone) saying "S>Map 5mil"

How is that player going to have the enjoyment of playing the game? Will they have fun playing the game?

Let me use an example thats currently happening, people in ulu maps, 7F+ maps, ShiveringShivering ccs trying to look for a map, and everyone there is just saying "S>Map 150mil" would he pay 150mil for a map if hes just going to play for 1~2 hours? I don't think the meso investment in those maps would give him back all his mesos and possibly more.

People got hell banned in GMS for selling maps/Prepaid NX cards when caught because it fell under a "Pyramid Scheme" thus removing their ability to drop and/or transfer equips, mesos, NX items to and from the character. (I know this because I was hell banned in 2014.)

rules.png
    • Selling, advertising, or posting information on hacks, private servers (including sources thereof), or gold farming for the Services.
    • Distributing unauthorized materials or advertising or promoting goods or services without our permission (including, without limitation, by sending spam, promotional materials, junk mail, chain letters, pyramid schemes or any other form of unauthorized solicitation).
    This doesn't state real currency or in-game currency to speculate, map selling as a pyramid scheme.

If MapleLegends sort of wants to 'aim' to being more GMS like, they should also take this rule into consideration.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Maplestory/comments/1c895z/hellbanned_unable_to_drop_or_sell_items/ Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 4.24.42 PM.png

20. jesscapades

jesscapades Pac Pinky

Jun 24, 2019
    Female
    jesscapades
    Shadower
    Homies
    Things don't have to be items to have monetary value. Exp has monetary value. Going back to one of your earlier replies, even if you can find a map for free, it still has value.

When has anyone ever held 8 pig beach maps in hopes of selling for 5m? Or sold any map for 150m? Just because someone could hypothetically say "S> X for Y mesos" doesn't mean we need to freak out over it. And if it's a rip off, no one will buy it, and the person will stop selling or lower the price. If someone does buy it, then why is it anyone's else's business? It's like everyone is getting mad at movie theatres for selling marked up popcorn.

it's just a map in a video game

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2