1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Shadow partner discriminates against rope versus platform cast block-time (video inside).

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Hito, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Hito

Hito Stone Golem

May 4, 2017
    Straya
    3:51 PM
    Ainu
    Hermit
    Galaxy
    Wasn't sure if this was a bug or intended behaviour but posted it as a suggestion since ultimately the post is about asking for a change.

Assassins onwards are all about mobility as is evident by Haste, Flash Jump, the very small delay in Lucky Seven and Triple Throw cast times, and what not. Shadow Partner has a comparatively short duration of 120 seconds compared to other buffs like Haste at 200 seconds for instance (but that isn't really the focus of this post). The point is you have to recast it often, and the theme of this class is fast-fast-go-go-jump-jump.

Shadow Partner has a very long block time where after you cast it no input is accepted for your character. This is somewhat annoying as even after the animation ends you still cannot do anything for a good 1-2 seconds. I've recently discovered that Shadow Partner discriminates against this block time such that if you're on a rope instead of standing on a platform the block-time is shorter.

Proof

Direct mp4 link https://i.imgur.com/piuJITy.mp4
    30 MB GIF http://i.imgur.com/w7yYr93h.gif

[​IMG]

I recorded myself walking, holding a movement key, then pressing Shadow Partner while still holding down this movement key and then cut the videos to sync up for the first frame of the Shadow Partner cast. You can see that on the rope I can move before I can move on the platform. This seems like an artefact of old spaghetti Maple and I'd suggest the platform block-time is reduced to match the rope block-time which seems much fairer in cast time and keeps to the theme of fast-fast-go-go-jump-jump.

This is verifiable by anyone of course, just go into FM or another map where you can clearly see your character and cast Shadow Partner on a platform while holding move and then do the same on a rope and notice the difference.

2. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    9:51 AM
    So many I keep forgetting
    This isn't just the case for Shadow Partner. Buffing on ropes has always been quicker for a wide variety of buffs.
    I don't really see why this would be considered a problem since most maps offer ropes/ladders within short distance regardless.

3. OP
    OP
    Hito

Hito Stone Golem

May 4, 2017
    Straya
    3:51 PM
    Ainu
    Hermit
    Galaxy
    Hmm TIL. I also quoted it as 120 seconds instead of 180, how did I read the tooltip incorrectly...