1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Shivering's Meso Journal (inspired by Moomins)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shivering, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Slime

Slime Pixel Artist Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    9:48 PM
    Slime / OmokTeacher
    Beginner
    Flow
    Unlucky on those MW20 packages. :(

2. OP
    OP
    Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    11:48 AM
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    Spoke to GMs and they had RWT concerns since it was such a large giveaway. I was asked to split up the prizes to smaller amounts. I will probably remake the thread today or sometime this week once I figure out what I wanna do to give away the money.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Devin Wilson

Devin Wilson Snail

Nov 23, 2020
    Male
    dicksonface
    Cleric
    Have the recent changes to macros changed the eph at ulu 2/3 for bishop with genesis?

4. AioriaX

AioriaX Selkie Jr.

Jul 25, 2017
    Male
    2:48 AM
    AioriaX
    Night Lord
    Beaters
    It shouldn't because Ulu 2/3 mobs are usually 1 or 2-hit Genesis and you constantly move left-and-right to cast your ulti.
    Which means, you don't need to macro it.

The macro change only tackles multi-clienting (ie. ALT-Tabbing into your second mage client to cast ulti). With multi-clienting, using macro saves time and promotes efficiency as your first mage that has been ALT-Tabbed out will still be casting spells due to the macro, while you're ALT-Tabbed into your second mage.

Single-client mage leeching should not be affected by macro change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    01/22/2021

Dear Diary,

Today I sold my first WS service. First 8 minutes is dummy scrolling. I don't really believe in dummy scrolling, but it adds entertainment value so why not. Here is a video of how the first slot went. I'll do audio next time.

I did a 2nd slot as well but it was a separate video and I can't upload to youtube because it's over 15 minutes. That one took 15 WS attempts.

• Like Like x 4
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  6. Toon

Toon Capt. Latanica

May 22, 2020
    Male
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    3:48 PM
    Toon
    Marksman
    Pasta
  7. TsungHung

TsungHung Timer

Feb 19, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
    zzzz
    Bowmaster
    Demure
  8. AioriaX

AioriaX Selkie Jr.

Jul 25, 2017
    Male
    AioriaX
    Night Lord
    Beaters
    Nice 1/1 on first slot.
    13 ws per service?
    so 26-16 = 10 ws profit ?
    Poggers

9. Slime

Slime Pixel Artist Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    9:48 PM
    Slime / OmokTeacher
    Beginner
    Flow
    download.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  10. Casey Medina

Casey Medina Snail

Nov 2, 2020
    BreezySin
    Bishop, Night Lord
  11. Cerulean

Cerulean Brown Teddy

Apr 13, 2020
    Male
    1:48 PM
    I think the concept of WS service is actually pretty interesting. It's essentially a variation of the St. Petersburg paradox, where the seller has a positive gain under expected value each time they sell, yet looking at expected value alone can give a very incomplete picture.

For example, suppose someone starts with an initial stock of 50 WS and sells white scroll service an arbitrarily large number of times at a rate of 13 WS per slot. If they "go bankrupt" at any point (WS stock reaches 0) then they just stop. A quick simulation of this experiment reveals that the probability that they "go bankrupt" in the long run is only around 5%. That's really good, considering the enormous profit margin!

Now suppose someone else is less wealthy to begin with and has only 20 WS; moreover, this person sells at a measly rate of 11 WS per slot, which is still a "profitable" rate under expected value. But the probability that this person will "go bankrupt" is over 50% - they are actually more likely to go bankrupt in the long run than to profit - even though the long run "expected value" of their white scroll stock is infinity.

So in short, anyone considering selling WS service should heavily take into not just the rate they sell at, but how wealthy they are to begin with. If the person in the above example selling at a rate of 11 WS per slot had an initial stock of 200 WS rather than 20 WS, then their probability of going bankrupt falls from over 50% to just 1-2%, and they can be pretty confident that they'll see big profits. Tl;dr, the rich get richer :)

• Informative Informative x 8
  12. OP
    OP
    Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    Honestly the bigger issue is it's a low population server and the # of times you will sell the service will be low. My biggest issue with selling at a lower cost is just the sheer probability of losing money is so high since variability on the low sample size can murder you. I wouldn't worry as much about failure rate as you don't get the benefit of just having an unlimited number of customers. There are very few people on the server white scrolling items and an even fewer still that will want to use a white scroll service whether its 11 or 13 tbh.

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. Kyshies

Kyshies Slimy

Mar 13, 2020
    8:48 PM
    Elliy
    F/P Arch Mage
    Dayum then what about those other pre-bb servers with a pop of 40-ish players online? XD

14. OP
    OP
    Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    Alright guys it's been a while since I posted here. I sold another WS service today; this one was a 76 att 1 slot claw. It's separated into two videos because I had to log into a mule halfway through the video and I didn't want to show my PIN. I think this vid will probably be more entertaining. Video quality is shit because I was streaming it to the buyer at the same time so I apologize in advance for that.

Part 1

Part 2

• Like Like x 1
  15. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    At least you didn't use 44 straight

• Funny Funny x 8
  16. jesscapades

jesscapades Pac Pinky

Jun 24, 2019
    Female
    2:48 PM
    jesscapades
    Shadower
    Homies
    Calling it a variation of the St. Petersburg Paradox is a really convoluted way to say “insurance” lol. And what you’ve illustrated actually isn’t much like the St. Petersburg Paradox—which depicts a game in which the expected value is infinite but nobody wants to participate, mainly due to preferences for risk aversion—because you’ve just shown the expected value to be high and we’ve seen people willing to participate in selling the service.

WS service is just insurance: a contract people buy because they want to pay some amount to reduce the discomfort of risk. Like all insurance, selling WS service has risk involved too, and the burden of that risk decreases as the insurer’s wealth increases.

Personally I’m much more interested in seeing Shivering become ML’s first reinsurer :)

17. Cerulean

Cerulean Brown Teddy

Apr 13, 2020
    Male
    1:48 PM
    Preferences for risk aversion implies that even if the expected value of money is high, people have preferences for the expected value of some function of money, which may not be high. This is not really related to the main point of what I posted, which is that as long as the rate is in your favor, expected value becomes arbitrarily high as you sell more service, but high "expected value" does not mean you should literally "expect" to make money. (You can have E[X_t] go to infinity but Pr(X_t >0 ) go to 0, if you're too poor to start with and the rates aren't high enough.) It is a statement about the amount of money you have and is completely independent of being risk-averse/risk-neutral/risk-loving.

The numerical simulations make concrete that Shivering is probably in a good place selling at a 12:1 rate (even 11:1 starts getting dicey, the difference is actually pretty big unless you're insanely rich), with the one exception being if he can't find enough buyers, as he pointed out.

18. jesscapades

jesscapades Pac Pinky

Jun 24, 2019
    Female
    jesscapades
    Shadower
    Homies
    Yeah I don't disagree with that or your calculations lol I was just saying that that's not really what the St. Petersburg Paradox is given that there people are willing to sell WS service. The mention of risk aversion was just to explain why it is a paradox, as low expected utility from risk-averse preferences is the main explanation for why the paradox exists. I'm not claiming that preferences play a role in calculating the expected value; I'm only claiming that they play a role in the human decision-making, by looking at preferences over the probability distribution of returns (i.e. expected utility theory).

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rhae

Rhae Blue Snail

May 15, 2021
    Female
    xRhae
    F/P Arch Mage
    hello, i have little time playing in legends. just when my mage was training I ran into some people farming there. I found it surprising how they control 4 wizards simultaneously and collect with the MU mule. The person who was farming very kindly told me you were the creator of the guide. that there was a video. I do not know if in the future they will nerf the map but to do that it must require skill, which deserves to be rewarded....
    I would like to know if you really made a video and if so, could I see it? I thank you in advance for creating this type of content, the truth is that I am not very familiar with leech, since this depends on someone paying you and if you do not find a buyer, you waste your time. that's why I like mages.!