1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Should weapons crafted be made to be different to the ones sold by NPCs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Redwop, Mar 23, 2023.

1. Redwop

Redwop Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jan 27, 2016
    5:03 PM
    In MapleStory, the weapons you see sold in store are the same as the ones you get from the weapon creator. This statement applies generally to weapons that have a lower level requirement (i.e. Lv. 10–40).

Aside from players being able to quickly outlevel the lower level range, it is simply more convenient to buy the weapon, or to hunt for it, rather than to get the materials to make it.

. . .

I'll also mention that in a later version of MapleStory (v.80), King Pepe weapons were introduced, and these were made to be almost identical to their regular weapon counterparts.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

For example: King Pepe Wizard Wand has higher stats than the Wizard Wand, and is "untradeable".

Another could be a difference in attack speed, for example, with Nakamaki.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Compare: Nakamaki (Slow: 8) vs. King Pepe Nakamaki (Normal: 6)

. . .

This is more of a side note, but I have always wondered what it could be like to have a system where you can upgrade weapons but without having to use scrolls. Again, it's not technically relevant to the discussion, but something that crossed my mind, and something I thought was worth mentioning.

2. HimeHam

HimeHam Pac Pinky

Mar 22, 2020
    Female
    1:03 AM
    Corsair
    I kinda like the idea. Crafting has always looked fun to me. It can get expensive tho and I'm poor af.

3. OP
    OP
    Redwop

Redwop Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jan 27, 2016
    5:03 PM
    I think at one point MapleStory tried to add the Maker skill to make crafting a more attractive thing. Even though it created an avenue of fun by giving ores more utility, I think it didn't help to address the problem that I'm describing here. And so, I guess I'm interested in knowing if anything could be done to make this aspect more attractive, because, as you say, it could be made to be fun. Personally, I do feel the mesos requirement for crafting as a whole could be lowered, but I also still feel more could be done to make it truly worth your while?

To expand on my side note about being able to upgrade your weapons without using scrolls, I think if the weapons that could be crafted were given that privilege, it might lead to a more diverse gaming experience. That is to say, some lower-levelled weapons could be made to rival a weapon with a higher level requirement in strength. For example: Vaulter 2000 (a level 40 bow) could be "upgraded" and made to be comparable in strength to an Asianic Bow (a level 60 bow).

I know I'm drawing a hypothetical scenario, but I guess what I'm trying to say here is that there is potential.

• Like Like x 1