1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Slightly shift the seasonal events schedule to align more with holidays

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Floris, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Floris

Floris Capt. Latanica

May 27, 2020
    Male
    10:56 AM
    Hi cuties <3

First off I'd like to thank the MapleLegends staff for working so hard, bringing us such an awesome server and doing it so well!

Situation: Over the years, the seasonal events have shifted along the year.
    Suggestion: Have the events better coincide with their related seasonal holidays.
    Reason: to allow players who might have time off from work/school benefit from the awesome ingame events.

Next a disclaimer: I realise that this suggestion might work for some, might not work for others. Please hear me out. I am only suggesting this based on my own experience playing the game, the demography of its playerbase as it appears to me and everyone's best interest at heart :heartbeat:.

Second disclaimer: I realise that staff have busy IRL lives that come first, which may heavily limit the possibilities. I also realise that the staff is running this server in their spare time and that maintaining this server is intensive, hard work. I cannot comprehend how much of your spare time this must be taking up and I for one greatly appreciate it.

That being said, lets take a look at the last couple of years of events:
    2016:
    1st Anniversary: 1 apr. ~ 18 apr.
    Summer: 1 jul. ~ 24 jul.
    Halloween: 16 oct. ~ 6 nov.
    Christmas: 10 dec. ~ 9 jan.

2017:
    Valentines: 12 feb. ~ ??
    2nd Anniversary: 31 mar. ~ 1 may
    Independence day: 30 jun. ~ 14 jul.
    Summer event: 15 jul. ~ 10 sep.
    Halloween: 6 oct. ~ 5 nov.
    Christmas: 15 dec. ~ 22 jan.

2018:
    Valentines: 19 feb. ~ 16 mar.
    3rd Anniversary: 31 mar. ~ 6 may
    Summer: 1 jul. ~ 26 aug.
    Halloween: 13 oct. ~ 11 nov.
    Christmas: 15 dec. ~ 20 jan.

2019:
    Valentines: 23 feb. ~ 24 mar.
    4th Anniversary: 28 apr. ~ 26 may
    Summer: 30 aug. ~ 4 oct.
    Halloween: 2 nov. ~ 3 dec.
    Christmas: 21 dec. ~ 26 jan.

2020:
    Valentines: 16 feb. ~ 11 mar.
    5th Anniversary: 22 may ~ 28 jun.

Okay cool so you made a list of event dates.
    I only listed the 'seasonal' events, i.e. events linked to a certain time of year.

If you want to read in more detail why I make this suggestion:
    So what is this post about?
    I would kindly like to request the staff to consider the following:
    - the events have 'shifted' along the year, as compared to their seasonal placement in say 2016. Therefore, they dont always overlap very well anymore with the seasonal periods they are in celebration of.
    - events nowadays last for a longer period of time compared to the ones in 2016, of which I believe it is safe to say that we appreciate and love this change.

So what is this based on?

Correct me if I'm wrong:
    I believe the demographic of the MapleLegends playerbase is as follows and this post was written based upon these assumptions. If you disagree with any of these assumptions, please kindly let me know so we could re-evaluate the impact this may have on my suggestions.

- The majority of the MapleLegends players is formed by young adults and adults. (i.e. above the age of 18).
    - A good chunk of MapleLegends players share international holidays or at least similar periods of time off from work/school during the year.

Therefore, most MapleLegends players are probably either students or people with a job. These 'daily obligations' demand more time/effort during some periods of the year, while sharing common international holiday seasons.

So what are you complaining about?
    A shift has occurred in the seasonal events. The point I'm trying to make is that, in order for as many players as possible to fully enjoy, love, cherish and experience the events, they ought to at least partially coincide with the seasonal periods they are concerning. From these assumptions, and the assumption that most countries have somewhat similar holiday periods, I believe that the seasonal event planning as it was in 2016/2017 allows 'most' players to spend (at least a part of) their holiday enjoying the wonderful events you guys provide for us.

The current problem:
    the shift in the seasonal events has shoved them into periods of the year just after holidays. As most people tend to have (at least a short) holiday break around for example christmas or the summer, events ought to be placed in these periods in order for most players to optimally benefit of their lovely perks. Additionally, just after holiday seasons (for example, mid jan ~ feb) tend to be busy periods.

More disclaimers:
    - I understand that creating these events takes a lot of time and effort and they therefore sometimes can't go live sooner than they are.
    - I certainly am not asking to make MapleLegends into one of those one-event-leads-to-the-next servers. I appreciate there being a period of time between consecutive events.
    - I am fully aware of obligations in the IRL lives of staff members that demand the yearly schedule they choose and respect that they do not have to reveal any of their motives to us. In the end, being staff, they get to decide whenever they have time and energy to build and monitor these events.

BIG DISCLAIMER: every MapleLegends player is different and has a different yearly schedule, I merely make this suggestion so as to have the events follow the periods of time most MapleLegends players (hopefully) have time off from their daily obligations.[/SPOILER]

• Agree Agree x 8
  2. OP
    OP
    Floris

Floris Capt. Latanica

May 27, 2020
    Male
    An example:
    Me being a student, I tend to have time off from studying over christmas break and summer break. These periods are approximately:
    - christmas break: end of december/start of january
    - summer break: july & august

In the current yearly schedule of MapleLegends, I am unable to fully participate in both the anniversary and summer events while actually having time off.

3. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    5:56 AM
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    Please note that recent "shift" of events are not intentional. We didn't decide to release events late, it unfortunately just happens due to unforeseen delays.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    5:56 PM
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    cant wait to celebrate summer event on christmas

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Diziple

Diziple Pac Pinky

Jun 23, 2017
    Male
    HappyGuY
    Dragon Knight
    None
    Wee Christmas event during Valentine’s Day!

Well, the events will be shifted back to its original duration in like 2 years based on my calculations. Stay tuned!

6. AioriaX

AioriaX Selkie Jr.

Jul 25, 2017
    Male
    AioriaX
    Night Lord
    Beaters
    2020:
    Valentines: 16 feb. ~ 11 mar.
    5th Anniversary: 22 may ~ 28 jun.

Summer: 1 jul - 1 aug
    Halloween: 1 oct - 2 nov
    Christmas: 1 dec - 1 jan

:)

7. OP
    OP
    Floris

Floris Capt. Latanica

May 27, 2020
    Male
    I very much understand and respect that and I hope my post reflected this. I only wanted to make the thread to show the downside of the currect situation.

I hope you guys are able to come up with a solution (as suggested above, having 2 events quickly after one another for once could hopefully set things back for some time).

8. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    2:56 AM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Is it possible to skip 1 event so that you can use the extra time saved from not preparing 1 event to get back on schedule?

• Like Like x 4
  9. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    I'll bring it up to discuss if we should, and if so, which event we should skip.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Ryae

Ryae Wolfspider

Apr 17, 2015
    Female
    USA (West Coast)
    Ryae
    Night Lord
    Nimbus
    I was about to come say this thinking it would be hyper unpopular opinion, but I would much rather prefer the staff skip an event to focus on correcting the offset/focusing on QOL improvements rather than push one out with awkward timing.

I love the Valentine's event, but it ended up becoming a pretty large scale event and makes that part of the year pretty crowded with Halloween > Christmas > Valentine's > Anniversary. Maybe consider next year having at least one of the events downsized to more simple/mini events?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. s0mething

s0mething Capt. Latanica

May 4, 2019
    There's actually a wonderful solution for this specific topic, and it requires the help from some of the player base.

Solution. Apply to become a staff member. More hands on deck. :heartbeat:

12. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    When anniv event got delayed and had much of the parts from last summer, I had at first thought the anniv/summer events got merged into one event. Perhaps time for a spooky maplemas this year?

13. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    I think it may be prudent to reuse or downscale an event like Spring event (this years was massive, honestly too big IMO-- would prefer just the spring coins from dailies + random drops to get NX and Maple weapons) or the V-Day event. IMO the big ones are Xmas, Halloween, and Summer.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. likey

likey Timer

Jan 12, 2018
    Latch
    Bowmaster
    Perion
    yes. let christmas events just be for Christmas, valentines be for valentines, and summer just for summer lol

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. OP
    OP
    Floris

Floris Capt. Latanica

May 27, 2020
    Male
    Bump!

As we're nearing the 1st of September, the day a lot of people go back to school/are in school already, and the 'summer' event has yet to be released, this makes me feel kinda sad.

Maybe next year we get to spend summer break playing the summer event.

16. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    Summer event together with Helloween. Why not.

Anyway. Maybe some simpler event without those daily quests just to catch up on the schedule will do.

• Agree Agree x 1