1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

STRLess Bowman Equip Help

Discussion in 'Help & Advice' started by Flosion, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Flosion

Flosion Red Snail

Jun 3, 2019
    Male
    8:06 AM
    Flosion
    Bowman, Hunter, Ranger, Bowmaster
    Thank
    Hey all,

I have been leveling a STRLess Bowman (Yes, I know, let's just get past all the "Don't do it" posts). Everything is going fine, and I know my weapon route. My question is, what am I looking for in equips/scrolled stats?

I don't think I scroll for STR, right? Should I be scrolling everything DEX, and just stick to STRLess Bows?

2. postcard

postcard Selkie Jr.

Aug 17, 2018
    5:06 AM
    Postcard
    Bowmaster
    Vivid
    It kind of depends how long you plan on being STRless. A lot of people choose to go without STR until closer to endgame, so level ~110 or so when there are no more STRless bows.

IIRC, the reason people eventually go from STRless to low STR is because weapon attack on a higher level bow -- in this case, a Nisrock or a Dragon Shiner -- outscales the benefits of being STRless. This guide goes into that a bit. Also, by low STR I mean capping STR at around ~50 (maybe more maybe less depending on your funding).

If you go low STR in the future to wear a DSB/Nisrock and you want to min/max, you'd scroll for STR. You'd do that so you can squeeze as many points into DEX as possible and have most of the STR required to wear a bow supplemented by gear.

But I'm assuming from your post that you have no plans to wear a bow that requires STR, in which case DEX is fine. One of my friends did the number crunch and the difference between scrolling for DEX vs. STR isn't that big either way.

Sorry about the extended leadup into a short, real answer lol.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. OhDoggo

OhDoggo Selkie Jr. Retired Staff

Jun 25, 2017
    Male
    1:06 AM
    Bowmaster
    No bowman equips require STR except for the bows. Scrolling for STR is purely redundant then, so pure DEX.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Lidas

Lidas Mixed Golem

Sep 14, 2017
    Male
    2:06 PM
    Lidas
    Bowmaster
    If you want to be strless you dont need str.
    If you want str weapons scroll equip with str. Simple.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    6:06 AM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    Unless you want to cripple yourself to a hilarious degree lategame, you are going to have to eventually get enough str to wear the lvl 110 bow. The amount of base str archers have lategame varies depending on their gear, but the goal is to reach 115 str. Personally, I have a base str of 49, but I scrolled my overall for dex instead of str, so you can in fact go lower if you want.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Flosion

Flosion Red Snail

Jun 3, 2019
    Male
    Flosion
    Thank
    Well, from what I've read in other places, you're not THAT crippled, right? Given that you are well funded and are able to get very well scrolled equips?

7. thugric

thugric Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

May 10, 2017
    Male
    TaxDog
    Marksman
    Beaters
    You most definitely want to have enough STR to wear a lvl 110 or lvl 115 bow. Whichever way that is is up2u. You are correct that the difference between scrolling for dex vs str isn’t much.

In a nutshell: the more base dex you have, the more dex bonus you get from using MW20. You get more base dex by having less stats on str. You overall benefit is about 6-10 dex from mw20 in the end if you scroll with STR

8. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    6:06 AM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    The difference in attack between a level 64 strless weapon and a lvl 110 bow is 22. Taking into account str bonus from equips such as HTP/Scar helm/T10 ting/Spectrum goggles (which all give str whether you want them to or not), you will need to invest about ~50 AP points into str to wear the 110 bow. During lategame 7-8 dex is roughly equivalent to 1 attack. If you weight 50 dex against 22atk, the difference is roughly ~13 attack, which is quite significant.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    Flosion

Flosion Red Snail

Jun 3, 2019
    Male
    Flosion
    Thank
    I was mostly looking for overall equipment advice. Like, what work gloves? What helm? Cape? Etc.

It's been a loooong time since I've played Maple, and I never really got to the "geared" part of Maple previously.

10. Filter

Filter Slime

May 29, 2018
    Male
    Filter
    Marksman
    Galaxy
    I know this seems like a dumb question at first glance but there is a point to asking it, I swear: Why would you want to do this? I'm not going to tell you not to do it, but it would really help me advise you if I understood where you're coming from.

11. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    It's cheaper initially, and you also do more damage than a STR archer (in early game). It's actually advised to stay strless until around level 100 or 110, which is when you can wear your end game STR bow weapon.

• Like Like x 2
  12. postcard

postcard Selkie Jr.

Aug 17, 2018
    Postcard
    Bowmaster
    Vivid
    In terms of gear:

Work gloves: 8-10 attack work gloves at first is fine, 14 att is the end game standard.
    Helm: Zak helm/Scar helm scrolled for DEX. Aim for 30+ DEX.
    Cape: Scroll for DEX at lower levels, but end game you'll want either a Pink Adventurer/Gaia cape with as much attack on it as possible, or a Blackfist Cloak.
    Overall: Arzuna, any colour (Blue is most common and easiest to get), scrolled for DEX in your case. You'll want to aim for 20+ DEX.
    Shoes: Red Arnahs are the easiest end game shoes to obtain, they drop from Pap. Before then, iirc there's a quest in Ludi that gives you bowman shoes.

A lot of what you get in terms of gear depends on your funding!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. OP
    OP
    Flosion

Flosion Red Snail

Jun 3, 2019
    Male
    Flosion
    Thank
    Thank you very much! This is moreso what I was looking for, instead of reasons to NOT go STRLess haha. I appreciate it :D

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Filter

Filter Slime

May 29, 2018
    Male
    Filter
    Marksman
    Galaxy
    You misunderstood. I want to know his reasons, not a reason. I already know several reasons why someone would want to do something like this, I just don't know his.
    His reason could determine how I need to respond.

15. OP
    OP
    Flosion

Flosion Red Snail

Jun 3, 2019
    Male
    Flosion
    Thank
    MY reason, is because it's what I want to do :)

16. Filter

Filter Slime

May 29, 2018
    Male
    Filter
    Marksman
    Galaxy
    In other words, simply because you want to? Okay. In that case, you have two options:
    1. Scroll for strength on most of your equips in order to use late-game weapons. Like other people have indicated, a typical late-game bowman would otherwise expect to spend maybe 50-60 ap on strength in order to make the str requirements necessary to equip higher level bows in combination with nominal end-game equips (you know, stuff you would get from a zak/scar helm, ht pendant, etc). You'll need to make up that difference with your scrolling. You can save yourself 10 str by using a nisrock as your final weapon instead of a dragon shiner if your equips can't quite get you to 115 str. If you get an overall that gives you +30-35 str, a +15-20 str cape, chaos scroll an additional 10 str or so on your helmet if you must (whatever it will be), this is totally doable, albeit expensive.
    2. Don't do any strength scrolling, just focus on getting a really nice kandiva bow.

If I were you, I would start into this by going with option 2, then seeing if you have any success getting some nice str equips. If it looks like it's going to be too much of a hassle, just stick with 2.

• Funny Funny x 1