1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Suggestion] How to Reduce HP Washing

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by Nise, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Zoolander

Zoolander Slime

Feb 18, 2018
    Male
    7:59 AM
    Zoolander
    Bowman
    Agreed, and correct me if I'm wrong. But aren't old players not happy that they cant boss CT because they don't have 9.6k hp. What do they do? I think I'm one of the few that believes hp washing should be removed in order to boss. You want to HP wash, thats fine, but it is not required to boss is my idea. I have ideas on how this can be done, but I won't discuss them yet.
    When I use to run a private server(not maple), and you start to add content, there is a fine line on how it shouldn't affect your gameplay. This line was crossed months ago from what I seem to gather here at ML. Mostly for the good. IMO I think hp washing is something fundamentally broken in maplestory, but it is just becoming worse with addition of content.
    With that being said, the staff here is great, and I think some people take that for granted. Keep it up ML, best private server by far.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sucre

Sucre Zakum

Apr 21, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    9:59 AM
    Sucre
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    Well then option 1 to 3 would need a balance for the different jobs if it’s flat hp, imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    5:59 AM
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    You don't need to do any of that. The only reason HP washing seems like a burden is because people want to do things they're not supposed to be able to do like get 10k HP on a ranged class to do toad. If the goal is to do HT at 155 you can pump 55 base int early (on any class besides slingers) and get a zhelm at 50 (easily achievable for any class) which is pretty reasonable and you'll end up with 5600 HP at lvl 155. This is with 0 other equips. You can easily get 4 int earrings (6-8 ml), 9 int lvl 50 cape (10 mil), 5 int dep star at 80 or 90 (plenty of friendly people, just gotta ask), 3-5 int lvl 8 wooden wand, or 5-7 int heart wand scrolled with 60's (cost like 2 mil for 7 60's). These equips are pretty easily attainable in later levels and you could probably get away with 40-45 base int in early levels if you do get these, but again you don't need to.

How is this unreasonable, you ask? It's not. If you choose to wash more, if you choose to have more base int, if you WANT (not need) more HP, that is on you. I think the current system is fine as is.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. OP
    OP
    Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    9:59 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    I don't think HP washing is particularly difficult either. As long as you play it smart and hit the necessary INT goals (like you mentioned, zhelm, dep star, HTP, etc etc) you don't have a hard time getting the MP to wash to your HP goal. For example, as a NL:

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 06.47.56.png

That is completely do-able, its not impossible. BUT that's still around 3 months of voting, just to reach the bare minimum HP for HT (just to get rid of your AP in HP). Add in lets say 50 base INT, that's another 1.5 months of voting, totaling to 4.5 months just to play a class the way its supposed to be played.

Hitting the MP requirements isn't the problem, the problem is the wait to get back to what should be your normal stats. I think reducing the wait shouldn't be a controversial issue. It's not trying to completely get rid of HP washing, or destroy the system. It's just trying to reduce 4.5 months to maybe just 3 months. And also hopefully make HP washing somewhat more enjoyable than just waiting around for Ap resets :)

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    That's weird the spreadsheet I used says it take's 92 resets (282,100) and 51 resets (158,100) to reach 5500 hp at 155 (5600 with ellin ring), which comes out to 90 days of voting.

Regardless, I think with the consistent stream of events that allows you to farm resets fairly consistently, time really shouldn't be a problem. The VDAY event lasted about 24 days and allowed you to get a reset once every 2 days as long as you collected etc's and an additional 3 resets for doing the Romeo & Juliet and farming roses quests (not even anything hardcore such as leveling to 30, deleting char, and remaking (which took about 1.5-2 hours and netted 3 resets). Now with this event, it spans 5 weeks and I wouldn't say it's unreasonable to average 1 reset per day throughout the event (I myself have put in quite a few hours since the event started and have netted 2-3 tix a day). This would net another 35 resets. That's 47 resets from just participating in events. This would bring the voting time period down from 3 months to 2 months.

This is ignoring the fact that most people can not get an attacker from 1-155 in 3 months, let alone 2 months, save for a few very hard core grinders. When you take into account everything the GM's have been doing recently to make reset farming easier, I can't say that I'm unhappy with the current state of HP washing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. OP
    OP
    Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    9:59 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Mine is by 150, since a lot of NLs try to get to HT-able levels by 150. That's probably where the discrepancy in # of resets come from.

I do agree that the events are definitely making things easier for HP washing. But with the Vday event, I feel like the remaking of chars was more of an exploit than a genuine way of getting resets. I think this event is a more genuine way of gathering AP resets, but even then they're unreliable/RNG. Having some sort of constant, like a HP ring or stuff along that line seems to be a good add onto help with the HP washing process. But ofc, that's just my 2 cents :p

7. Nrii

Nrii Brown Teddy

Aug 13, 2017
    Skele
    GuiltySymbol
    Bishop
    Influence
    I admit, I misread your post the first time through.
    I had to re-read it a few times before I understood and could stop spinning and screeching in my chair.

The main post is talking about ways to introduce sources of vote-free +HP to the game.
    The first three methods would introduce several hundreds of HP each; basically negligible if you're a warrior or 400 int-lord.

However, that's exactly the point.
    The goal here isn't to
    , but to reduce the hp washing burden for ranged characters who are merely trying to hit the mimimum hp requirement to have the OPTION to boss in the future.

The barrier to entry for ranged characters is both unnatural and discouraging as it adds unnecessary difficulty.
    Regardless whether these players actually reach level 155 or not, it is mentally discouraging to know that your character will never be able to tackle the late-game boss, had you not planned your character out from the very start.

And yes, people who posted before me have said that assuming you plan out your character from the start, the INT burden/#months to wait for wash NX isn't too bad.

But features like ones from OP's suggestions list help players in reducing the INT burden, reduce the #weeks to save NX, and make it easier for players who figured out a little late in the game that they should've been washing.
    This is all a good thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    8:59 AM
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    Thousands of players come here hoping for an experience that is similar to 2006 GMS, not knowing that they need to play differently to stay up to par with other ranged attackers, and it makes a horrible, time wasting experience for them. That is not ok. Out of the dozens of HP washing debates we've had here, this is an issue that has gone completely unadressed. Listing pros and cons of HP washing does not solve the problem. Yes, HP washing benefits characters, and I personally welcomed the idea of it as additional mechanic of the game, just not how it's currently set up. Yet, we concentrate on every other aspect of HP washing. Anything but the real problem. It's not about money, NX, voting, whatever, it's about time, and the fact that it's screwing new players.
    "Screwing new players? Well that's their fault if they don't want to."
    No, they don't know to. They get up in to high levels after listening to mixed opinions, take the path of least resistance, which is to ignore the HP washing, they realize how they've screwed up when it's too late, and they've lost months of their lives due to a mulilated mechanic of the original game.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Hiyo

Hiyo Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Sep 21, 2016
    Kuwait
    3:59 PM
    Hiyo
    Camper
    Well no one knew how to do anything when they're first released, first Horntail runs were a disaster etc, people find out by trying things and reading, if they didn't read when we're playing a version being 10 years old, that is on them. Not blaming anyone, but if they came for the nostalgia they probably came here for casual fun and not serious, most serious players look up guides on how to build their character AP and SP wise and most guides do cover washing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. hsmule5430

hsmule5430 Slimy

Aug 3, 2017
    Thief
    +1111111111111111111111111

11. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    This is true! I just realized that I am one of those players that spent (since 2015) probably hours researching what to add, when to add, build this, hunt that, scroll those, etc. Totally valid, but what about the exceptions? Even if only a few, would it not be worth it to put in some kind of failsafe so that nobody can screw up? It's not like reversing wrong attack AP, missing HP is harsh.
    I say this because prior to 2015, I was also one of those people that had to start over... personally, after over 800 hours on an identicly rated server, and it would mean the world to me just to know that it can't happen to someone else. While we have, as a majority figured out that HP washing is at least a good idea, the problem does continue as people join, even if not chronically...

12. Library

Library Slimy

Nov 6, 2016
    Slave
    Washing isn't mandatory. You can ask BaboBabo :) (Or you could also look at how people in old vanilla servers didn't always HP wash, really and managed fine - even before the wheel of destiny - something people seem to forget about).

Also, you do not need to make a cleric specifically. You can make any other character to give you cash; clerics would obviously be the most optimal, but an absolute need? Ridiculous. It sounds like you think you can't even use or train your main because you are washing; completely untrue, even if you have base INT.

I myself have trained a 220 INT archer without leech on a 1x server several years ago (it needn't be named). It was hell, but doable.

Furthermore, it depends on what your HP goals are that helps people determine their base INT. Some people want 60, some people want 120, some people want several hundreds (I'm mostly commenting on "DPS" chars here).

HP washing doesn't "need" to be changed. People want it to be changed. Having HP washing is a hidden mechanic and blessing to begin with; it is not "mandatory," no matter what anyone says. Not washing is an inconvenience, not damnation.

As for your progress? You are also getting free Nx which is like 1.6 washes a day and we commonly have events that help provide you sources for resets. You are "doing" things that help contribute to your end goal for HP.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Library

Library Slimy

Nov 6, 2016
    Slave
    Wow, look at that. Someone in this thread with brain cells.

14. Strife

Strife Red Snail

Apr 19, 2018
    If I may suggest a 5th option, what about buffing the amount of HP you get by putting AP into HP?

This would theoretically allow high level players who did not HP wash to sacrifice some points in their primary or secondary stat to get their HP up to snuff, so instead of bosses being impossible for them and being potentially forced to start a new character, they could instead use a few AP resets and sacrifice some of their damage to be able to participate.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. boost3r

boost3r Slime

Apr 13, 2015
    Paladin
    I really like your suggestions! What if wedding rings were stronger the longer a couple are together?:) A healthy relationship = healthier life right? Maybe a recurring quest could test a couples strength once every say.. 30 days? (and it would be hard/impossible to multiclient)

Also, maybe the bonus stage of apq or gpq could have a special type of apple that, if bitten, granted you a set amount of hp! Just a thought :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sarina

Sarina Brown Teddy

Feb 28, 2018
    Female
    Sarina
    Or instead of making HP washing manditory, just lower the damage that certain bosses deal and increase the bosses hp so it takes even longer to kill

17. Dvah

Dvah Pac Pinky

Mar 21, 2018
    Male
    Africa I guess
    Dvah
    Dark Knight
    UpperLeveL
    why y’all try to change the current system to another one? Just stop how hard it’s just add some base int (i have 84) y’all lazy ass want to find easier way it’s v62 not v190 or whatever gms now

The game supposed to be hard even the hp wash system

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Dvah

Dvah Pac Pinky

Mar 21, 2018
    Male
    Africa I guess
    Dvah
    Dark Knight
    UpperLeveL
    First of all it’s your own problem if you need a leech,if you can’t wash just don’t wash enjoy the damn game without it like most of the people

Btw I never bought a leech Im training with my cousin (he’s priest) at least 2hours a day

Again it’s v62 not 190 stop complain and enjoy the game

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Heartiess

Heartiess Guest

1:59 PM
    Ign Miruki leveled himself to 4th job with 0 leech and like 200 base int - he still really enjoyed maplelegends and managed to wash without a bishop

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2