1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Brainfood Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Midnight, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    4:44 AM
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    It goes like this:

"When I understand myself, I understand you, and out of that understanding comes love."

Man cannot come to it through any organization, through any creed, through any dogma, priest or ritual, not through any philosophical knowledge or psychological technique. He has to find it through the mirror of relationship, through the understanding of the contents of his own mind, through observation and not through intellectual analysis or introspective dissection.

Man has built in himself images as a fence of security—religious, political, personal. These manifest as symbols, ideas, beliefs. The burden of these images dominates man’s thinking, his relationships, and his daily life. These images are the causes of our problems for they divide man from man. His perception of life is shaped by the concepts already established in his mind. The content of his consciousness is his entire existence. The individuality is the name, the form and superficial culture he acquires from tradition and environment. The uniqueness of man does not lie in the superficial but in complete freedom from the content of his consciousness, which is common to all humanity. So he is not an individual.

Freedom is not a reaction; freedom is not choice. It is man’s pretence that because he has choice he is free. Freedom is pure observation without direction, without fear of punishment and reward. Freedom is without motive; freedom is not at the end of the evolution of man but lies in the first step of his existence. In observation one begins to discover the lack of freedom. Freedom is found in the choiceless awareness of our daily existence and activity.

Thought is time. Thought is born of experience and knowledge, which are inseparable from time and the past. Time is the psychological enemy of man. Our action is based on knowledge and therefore time, so man is always a slave to the past. Thought is ever limited and so we live in constant conflict and struggle. There is no psychological evolution. When man becomes aware of the movement of his own thoughts, he will see the division between the thinker and thought, the observer and the observed, the experiencer and the experience. He will discover that this division is an illusion. Then only is there pure observation which is insight without any shadow of the past or of time. This timeless insight brings about a deep, radical mutation in the mind.

Total negation is the essence of the positive. When there is negation of all those things that thought has brought about psychologically, only then is there love, which is compassion and intelligence.

-Jiddu Krishnamurti

Your turn!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Sucre

Sucre Zakum

Apr 21, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    5:44 AM
    Sucre
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    "I am Groot."
    -Groot

• Like Like x 2
  3. ChickenMan

ChickenMan Mushmom

Dec 19, 2017
    Male
    3:44 AM
    MadMan
    Chief Bandit
    OnDrugs
    "He who laughs last laughs the loudest."
    -Anonymous

4. OP
    OP
    Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    That's chilling... I like it

• Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    “Whoever coined the phrase '"I can work well under pressure" should be put on trial for crimes against Humanity.”
    ― Adriano Bulla, The Road to London

6. Drota

Drota Blue Snail

Nov 19, 2018
    Male
    New Jersey, USA
    Drota
    Cleric
    Aincrad
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky"
    -Michael Scott

• Like Like x 2
  7. theKatia

theKatia Capt. Latanica

Apr 29, 2017
    Female
    10:44 AM
    Asteracea
    Bowmaster
    Funk
    Here's a really interesting one I can contribute: the Lorem Ipsum text.

I once looked it up, remembering that we used it as filler text for programming class in high school. Turns out that once translated, it's an interesting philosophical text by Cicero, written 45 BC

"But I must explain to you how all this mistaken idea of denouncing pleasure and praising pain was born and I will give you a complete account of the system, and expound the actual teachings of the great explorer of the truth, the master-builder of human happiness. No one rejects, dislikes, or avoids pleasure itself, because it is pleasure, but because those who do not know how to pursue pleasure rationally encounter consequences that are extremely painful. Nor again is there anyone who loves or pursues or desires to obtain pain of itself, because it is pain, but because occasionally circumstances occur in which toil and pain can procure him some great pleasure. To take a trivial example, which of us ever undertakes laborious physical exercise, except to obtain some advantage from it? But who has any right to find fault with a man who chooses to enjoy a pleasure that has no annoying consequences, or one who avoids a pain that produces no resultant pleasure?"

• Like Like x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    Two thousand years ago someone asked Christ:
    Who can enter the kingdom of heaven
    Jesus pointed to a little child and said:
    Those whose hearts are as innocent as a child’s.

~

When the heart is full it pours into the words.

-Osho

9. OP
    OP
    Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    "We have one collective hope: the Earth And yet,
    uncounted people remain hopeless, famine and calamity abound
    Sufferers hurl themselves into the arms of war;
    people kill and get killed in the name of someone else's concept of God
    Do we admit that our thoughts & behaviors spring from a belief
    that the world revolves around us? Each fabricated conflict,
    self-murdering bomb, vanished airplane, every fictionalized dictator,
    biased or partisan, and wayward son,
    are part of the curtains of society's racial, ethnic, religious, national,
    and cultural conflicts,
    and you find the human ego turning the knobs and pulling the levers
    When I track the orbits of asteroids, comets, and planets,
    each one a pirouetting dancer in a cosmic ballet,
    choreographed by the forces of gravity,
    I see beyond the plight of humans
    I see a universe ever-expanding,
    with its galaxies embedded within the ever-stretching
    four-dimensional fabric of space and time
    However big our world is, our hearts, our minds,
    our outsize atlases, the universe is even bigger
    There are more stars in the universe than grains of sand on the world's beaches,
    more stars in the universe than seconds of time that have passed since Earth formed,
    more stars than words & sounds ever uttered by all humans who have ever lived
    The day we cease the exploration of the cosmos
    is the day we threaten the continuing of our species
    In that bleak world, arms-bearing,
    resource-hungry people & nations would be prone to act on their low-contracted prejudices,
    and would have seen the last gasp of human enlightenment
    Until the rise of a visionary new culture that once again embraces the cosmic perspective;
    a perspective in which we are one, fitting neither above nor below, but within"

-Neil Degrasse Tyson