1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The future of MapleLegends - Community Response

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Delta, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Delta

Delta Orange Mushroom Retired Staff

Jan 30, 2017
    Male
    NYC
    10:10 PM
    I thought I would make this thread as a place to respond to Kimmy's post, as I know I wanted to share my feelings on it. Please feel free to respond here with your own feelings, or to talk about mine/eachothers.

My Response: I have to say, if I understand how you feel, I'm even more excited for what you have to say than I was to find this server as gms-like and community driven as it is. It seems to me that you don't want to stray from the Spirit of being gms-like, but you would like for things to be improved where they can be, and evolved to meet the needs of the community. I can't speak for everyone, but to me GMS-like doesn't need to be a gms-clone. It needs to have the same spirit as the original game, but It would be a missed opportunity (and for the most part in the servers I've seen it is) not to make the server BETTER than gms-like. A small, but important shift from GMS-Like to GMS-Improved is in my opinion an excellent way to make as many people happy as possible.

• Like Like x 6
  2. snowing

snowing Horny Mushroom

Aug 23, 2015
    Shadower
    Disorder
    I don't think I really have an opinion on this since I don't play here too too often and I know this is a small server these days, but I've been around for a while I guess.

As far as content goes I personally am not too difficult to please. I think a main reason why people play retro servers is because of how fucked GMS got after Big Bang. I've been playing some other v83 servers and after thinking v64 was the ONLY acceptable version of Maple, I've realized this is not the case. A change in content doesn't have to be a bad thing and I definitely second that Legends doesn't have to be JUST a v64 GMS Clone. I'm mostly indifferent on the case of content though as community and meeting people mean more to me than the actual game, because let's face it, MapleStory is kinda..... crappy (pls do not send hate mail).

As far as tediousness goes, I think that's just kind of the way MMO's go. Isn't that why people play MMO's? To do mundane tasks? You can make it less tedious, but there's always gonna be that little bit that gets on your nerves. I can deal with tedious things, but grinding for hours alone isn't something that exactly excites me; I already spend enough time alone.

I remember back in December-ish of 2015 this place was BUMPIN' and it was so much fun to play here. I came back after taking a break for a couple months and everyone was gone! What happen!

I'd really love to see this place as vibrant as it was before.

Uh, I don't know if this post really helps, but thanks for caring so much, Kim :)

from
    ttng, aka the guy with the hot dog hat who sits in FM usually

EDIT:

tl;dr...

I SUPPORT CHANGE WITH WELCOME ARMS

• Like Like x 1
  3. xquzion

xquzion Capt. Latanica

Apr 5, 2015
    Male
    5:10 AM
    Sean
    having played since april 2015 the latest updates are exactly what the server needed for so long. Had these updates been rolled out earlier though im pretty sure we would have kept the 200~ steady playerbase+ alot more. Anyway big shoutout to devs for actually listening to the community and doing such an amazing job like editing actual hardcoded skills.

• Like Like x 9
  4. MapleBento

MapleBento Slimy

Apr 2, 2015
    Male
    8:10 PM
    Grizzly
    Dark Knight
    Noir
    As another player from the day after launch I have to agree with the direction this server is headed in.
    This patch had me so hyped and the way that you built up suspense for it really got me, and I believe the entire community, very excited. The day the patch came out I saw the Newest Member list on our forum reading over fifteen new members that day. That's crazy!
    The way that the server population has been gradually rising again is proof that the GMs constant involvement with the community and reminders that work is being done really gives the player base motivation to stay. I know that personally I had been right on the brink permanently quitting and, after my best friend convinced me to play again, the GMs picked up speed and that has motivated me to aim for the top.
    I know eventually we'll run out of content to implement and that's natural but I'd just like to say that what you've been doing recently is marvelous and really makes me want to keep playing. Great job to all the staff and the community as well. ^^

• Like Like x 10
  5. Library

Library Slimy

Nov 6, 2016
    Slave
    MapleLegends is the second home I've had, in terms of private servers; I've tried about five ~ seven and in the end, I've like about two of them.

I don't really have an apt description for how I feel about this place. Of course, if you've followed me at all in terms of my posts / ingame comments, you'll know that I was absolutely ecstatic about the most recent patch and buffs to the game -- namely the Paladin and MM buffs (mostly the former though), as I've loved both classes since I started playing the game in 2005. I am extremely surprised at how well the GMs/Admins/Mods take into account player comments, concerns, questions, and desires; this is the first time I have ever seen an entire staff so diligent and dedicated and it actually touches my heart to see it at all.

And no, I don't really mean to be a cynic with the last statement, but it's actually so baffling that any community I've come in contact with is so open-minded and dedicated to having fun. Of course, that's not to say Legends is perfect or ideal; what I mean is that it is a community, and it has a direction (from my experience), and it has a bucket-load of love that most other servers don't. More than that, it has a lot of people who are willing to spread themselves out and play whatever they like. They are not bound or confined to the ideas that "You must play XX;" sure, there are people that will/had badmouth(ed) me for playing Pally (cough hi Dylan, Number32Number32 , who's laughing now?) but they don't care that you choose to be that. Most bosses in this server are still doable with whatever class you pick, but there, of course, will be challenges and walls to climb to get there (e.g. HP washing on dps classes to tank). Kim kept a lot of the issues authentic and tried her best, which is something to clap about.

I enjoy that they have tried really hard to keep to v62 and I admire their work to keep bugs fixed and to rework changes in here and there. Even if my classes never receive(d) buffs, I would still have loved it here because of how warm the reception was. I actually joined this server the week it released, but I quit because of my loyalty to some other servers (which will not be named) that I was playing back then. When I came back late last year, I received some of the greatest reception I could ever hope for. I love a lot of things about Legends, but I damn well love my community -- the staff, for their work, the players, for the cooperation, and my friends & guild/alliance for offering me a warm "Welcome back" every single time I log on.

All of those things seem to add on and make MMOs like Maple work out for me because my roommate constantly points out that MMOs are "boring" to him because they don't really offer any skillset besides mental conditioning to grind (lol) and are super mundane/repetitive to him. So in my opinion, it's not just the patches and balances that keep this server running. For me, the fact that Kim tries to keep the content relevant to the time of release makes it more authentic than I can ask; and by that I mean that she understands the differences between difficulty and tediousness, as she stated in her post. Also, things like adding Quest EXP by setting it to 3x the gains make them relevant and useful, so that people have some incentive to actually use them as a method of enjoyment and gains. That they fix the bugs and allow us to choose this option is what makes the game even greater; the GMs here offer so much for us that we can truly make Legends our own experience.

I'm not so sure how the experience was for the rest of April 2015 - Now, but based on what I know, the leveling isn't too big an issue (I mean, you clearly play a PreBB server not cuz you want to level fast) and the questing, as mentioned before, is useful and doable and gives people time to relax and enjoy, and even embrace the fact that Maple is supposed to be an MMO where you explore. As far as I'm concerned, Legends lives up to the old Maple saying, "It's OUR story!"

• Like Like x 5
  6. Number32

Number32 Skelegon Retired Staff

Jul 3, 2015
    Male
    The Netherlands
    4:10 AM
    Smores
    Bishop
    Demure
    MapleF3_Origin

Tbh I don't agree with how massive of a buff the paladins got. I do agree with the fact they needed a buff but not like this. Trying to resolve the "problem" of nobody playing pally's is just gonna result in nobody playing heroes now. Imo the perfect buff wouldve kept the paladins a little weaker than heroes, because the pally's still have elemental skills which is one of the main reasons people played them. There however isn't anything now that heroes have that Pally's don't (Let's be real, nobody cares about 15att rage if ciders/party bears give 20)

Inb4 salty hero replies: I quit my hero to main bishop quite a while ago so not that salty about it :x

Rest of the patches: Fuckin amazing. Love you all

• Like Like x 5
  7. Library

Library Slimy

Nov 6, 2016
    Slave
    This. While I actually enjoy meme-ing about the Pally > Hero debate (imo / in my head this will always be the case), I'm not so sure the buff needed to be this massive either. But hey, I'm not complaining (necessarily). The issue with balancing in this game also stems from the fact that Maple itself is a simple game, but bosses don't have aggro targets -- they kind of just hit everyone, so it's kind of hard to do things to make classes "better" except through tankiness/beefiness or damage dealt. There aren't too many boss fights where a lot of them aren't stationary (or attempts to remain stationary) dps/dpm attacks/pinning. I'm not so sure how to fix that tbh.

8. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Isn't Paladin's range and mobility still awful though? Not sure in head either but isn't Paladin only single target DPS while Heroes have much longer range and multiple target attack with Brandish which is very effective at Zakum and Horntail?

From what I understood Paladins actually had nothing special besides having elemental attacks, but that's really it. Well, and Heaven Hammer. What do you think is more OP now? The HH buff or the % buff for the elemental attack?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  9. Shona

Shona Slime

Aug 12, 2016
    Female
    3:10 AM
    Shona
    I/L Wizard
    I don't really play here often but thought I'd take this time to throw my opinion in. :p

The reason I was attracted towards MapleLegends in the first place was because of the low rates. Other private servers ruin the enjoyment of that low level experience because it just all passes by too quick! Don't get me wrong, higher rates would be greatly appreciated for those higher levels where you have nothing left to do but grind the same monsters on the same map every single day. Would be nice to get something in between, lower rates at low levels and higher rates for higher levels but that's just me.

This is a really great server and with the recent massive updates it's a step in the right direction. You want to stay that old school Maple that we all love but you also need to update with new content or events to stop from going stagnent and losing players interests. Looking forward to whatever the future brings! :)

Keep up the great work!! :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. Number32

Jul 3, 2015
    Male
    The Netherlands
    Smores
    Bishop
    Demure
    It's only really effective at Zak arms and for HT only until right arm & wings are dead, which is just a very small part of Horntail/Zak

Kind of the combination. I saw some convo's between CozyCozy and I forgot the other person, about how a Pally would outdamage a hero (single target) even without using Heavens Hammer at all. Include Heavens Hammer with the shortened cooldown, it just seems a bit over the top to me. Correct me if I'm wrong about the damage part

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sam_Vosh

Sam_Vosh Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Jan 24, 2015
    Female
    Somewhere over a fictional rainbow
    SamVosh
    Bowmaster
    Halcyon
    That might be me. I've been following Cozy's math of the percentages of the skill based attacks. However, it isn't as simple as that. Stats, w.att multipliers and a few other things still hinder Paladins. During the last HT run I and Daebak discussed the w.att multipliers classes have. I think he discovered that Paladin have less w.att multiplier then Heroes. So comparing straight on skill damage percentage does not tell the entire story.

Sure, this buff may change the overall balance. But you have to admit, Paladin was (or even still is) considered the worst class next to marksman. Providing nothing and doing not enough to outdamage any similar class. The classes needed it.
    Perhaps after clear numbers can be gained and compared to Heroes there may be tweaks to bring them back in line.

12. Number32

Jul 3, 2015
    Male
    The Netherlands
    Smores
    Bishop
    Demure

13. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    11:10 AM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    Dmg output comes like : (not exact but proportion with this formula)

(stat * sum of watk * weapon multiplier * % of skill * dmg multiplying buff * echo * elemental) - dmg reduction by defence of mob.

so.....we need to do math a bit. q.q. for convenience, i'll consider both pally and hero using 1h sword, cuz blast gets penalty for BW (stab attack). and i'm lazy af for calcing all multipliers. (Thanks Hacka GiGi for lemme know multipliers!)

weapon constant - 4 (1H sword)
    stat - 100. (lazy as fk)
    sum of watk - 100. (lazy...)

before patch
    pally : stat 100 * watk 100 * multiplier 4 * 5.5 blast * 1.4 holy charge = 308000 on single target.
    hero : stat 100 * watk 100 * multiplier 4 * 2.6 * 2 brandish * 1.5 ACA = 312000 on 3 targets.

after patch
    pally : stat 100 * watk 100 * multiplier 4 * 6 blast * 1.75 flame charge = 420000 on single
    hero : nothing changed. 312000 on 3 targets.

this conclusion can be *1.5 or *0.5 on pally for elemental weakness.

so, now pally can overcome hero for "single target dpm" even on elemental neutral target since pally has both higher % dmg for skill and dmg multiplying skill. imo, I still think heroes brandishs target number - 3 has meaning. but this buff on pally was "too much".

I'd not say pally became "OP" since I think like 3 targetting skill overcomes 1 targetting skill on even single DPM, is ridiculous.

but I have no pally nor hero so I think it'll be risky to say like "pally need nerf" or "hero need buff". (tbh I can't understand why ppls so enjoy "vs" game. just do what you prefer......)

but ye, in conclusion,
    single target dpm - became pally>hero from pally<hero on neutral elemental target, for sure.
    multiple target dpm - depends on situation. since pally can do "HH-200k dmg" for whole screen every 10 sec, and hero can hit 3 targets constantly.

ps. BF is weak for fire. YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
    ps2. you guys are missing real OP classes....mages with HS, NL with SE. (idk which is OP - mage? or HS?, NL? or SE?)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Gi

Gi Windraider

Dec 29, 2014
    Male
    Are you sure those multipliers are correct? I found these:

Code:
    BOW: //3.4
    CROSSBOW: //3.6
    CLAW: //3.6
    DAGGER: //4 for non thief; 3.6 for thief
    SWORD1H: //4
    SWORD2H: //4.6
    AXE2H: //4.8
    BLUNT2H: //4.8
    POLE_ARM: //5
    SPEAR: //5
    AXE1H: //4.4
    BLUNT1H: //4.4
    STAFF: //4.4
    WAND: //4.4
    KNUCKLE: //4.8
    GUN: //3.

I'll read the rest of this thread when I have more time :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    11:10 AM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    ouch, seems i googled another version of MS..... thx for info!!

16. Number32

Jul 3, 2015
    Male
    The Netherlands
    Smores
    Bishop
    Demure
    Thanks for being Asian as I was clearly too much of a white boi to do these calculations

• Like Like x 7
  17. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    8:10 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Well, in another vein, I liked Kimberly's post and it seems she has the right idea.

Another example of the tedious vs difficult is the gachapon system. If you really need some specific items/scrolls, it takes a lot of time and votes to spend gachapon tickets - and tickets from other players as well - to build up some form of "economy". But it always seems like there are too many garbage scrolls few people want and not enough of the rare items and scrolls the playerbase wants. Not to mention gaching directly competes with HP washing.

If the items that were only obtainable through gachapon could be added to certain mob drops, you then transform the system from tedious to difficult. Well, in a way. Because when you have an extremely powerful 4th job character killing low level mobs, there's no challenge to it anyway. But still, pretty much all content of maplestory is grinding on monsters.

But at least then you have the choice. It changes from "vote, buy gachapon tickets, pray to rnjesus" to "do that OR kill thousands and thousands of Gatekeeper".

• Like Like x 1
  18. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    I like what you're doing. I think there us room for modification and you seem to have good taste if thats what you want to do.

19. Durzo

Durzo Horny Mushroom

Mar 9, 2015
    Male
    Rome
    Phate, Durzo
    Bishop
    Halcyon
    I like, I like. Also second Lionheart's idea.

20. Library

Library Slimy

Nov 6, 2016
    Slave
    Range and mobility are still garbage-tier (imo / compared to NL and mage, yeah) but mobility can be fixed by mounts and and range can be fixed by clever positioning + use of rush so it's not too big of a weakness but only after fourth job. So that's not so bad. Also, yes; Paladins' master skill Blast can only hit 1 target; however, we do have superior mobbing with our ACB that hits 6 mobs. However, it's not as powerful as Brandish. I'm guessing the point of contention is that Brandish is pretty much the only skill Heroes possess for damage in fourth, thus they are upset that Paladins are still stable mobbers and possess great 1v1 now.

As for having nothing special -- you are right, elements are their only friend (in terms of skill). Heaven's Hammer is pretty bad because of the animation/cast time/delay but with the reduction it's pretty good. Overall, however, elemental charge buffs HEAVILY outweigh any buff to HH because it has a cooldown and is restricted to damage cap on bosses. A good Paladin with blast (even pre buff) could probably do way more overtime with Blast and ignore the use of HH because of how long the cast time was. Idk if the shortened CD actually helps that much but it is pretty cool.