1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

S> The Junk Yard has moved to Room 1 (still channel 6)

Discussion in 'Free Market' started by Annolis, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    12:47 PM
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    Just wanted to announce this due to two reasons:

1. There are particular players lately who have been setting up their shops in my regular spots when I cannot get on immediately after a SC, so...yeah...I'll just move. But also...
    2. The expanded Henesys & Perion rooms have made obscure rooms less popular (necessary?). So I think I can go back to FM1 where I was originally.

Backstory: I used to be in Ch7 FM1 back when we had 9 channels, and I originally wanted Ch6 FM1 when we cut down to 6 channels, but that FM1 room had quite a few players wanting to set-up shops there, so I moved to FM2 so I wouldn't have to compete for the same spots. I'm hoping the expansion of the Henesys Rooms have cut down the desire to set-up shops in that FM1 room so I can go back to where I always wanted to be. Oh, and just to clarify...while I don't mind people setting up shops in the same room as I do, I would only ask that your stores be to the left of mine so players can trust they can find what they're looking for with ease.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

(I have become a real life NPC)

2. Diego

Diego Capt. Latanica

Jun 7, 2015
    2:47 PM
    Yeah, let's begin with the fact that any fm spot is "yours" no matter how long you've been setting up (a) store(s) there. Same thing happens with maps/bosses (once you leave the map)/items (once you drop them), etc.

Good luck with your sales :)

3. OP
    OP
    Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    12:47 PM
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    While true, let's clear up a misconception here. If I was in a channel 1 spot - absolutely, I would have no argument, these are highly trafficked areas and I have no right to claim an area of the FM is mine when it's free for all.

But this is channel 6 FM 2 - which was empty for the longest time, and was never a place to go. When I set-up stores there, people came to ch6 fm2 because of my stores. Players knew they could regularly count on me having my stores there. I had spent quite a few Smegas advertising, got word of mouth out, and eventually it became known as the room where The Junk Yard is located. So it only became a slightly more trafficked area because of my stores and my stores alone. Along comes a player or two who realize that if they can put up stores in that location selling the same things, then they could effectively steal all of my business - benefiting off of over a year's worth of customer service, advertisement, and reputation - all because they could claim the spot before I could after a random server check (because I'm at work, usually, during 5PM server checks).

So this is a murky situation about the Free Market. My business relies on people knowing where my stores are, and people who are deliberately trying to steal my business by setting their stores up in my usual locations that are no where close to being considered highly trafficked or highly sought after FM territory means, as I believe, that I am being singled out for harassment. This is a form of theft, in my opinion. If they wanted to carve out a small section of unused FM territory, they could have done exactly what I have done - but instead, they take advantage of the Free Market rules of first-come-first-serve to hijack my customer base. Out of the 132 possible rooms they could have chosen, they picked the one I've been setting up shops in for over a year...why? Because they are wanting to take advantage of the reputation I had created.

My argument is thus: At some point, inconsequential territories of the FM made consequential by a single player over a long enough period of time should retain an ownership of that territory. Just my opinion.