1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Information The new 'GFX-DC' topic

Discussion in 'MapleLegends Announcements' started by Kimmy, Feb 18, 2018.

1. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    1:26 PM
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    As per your request:

-Your operation system: Windows 10 home
    -Do you randomly crash while bossing: Nah not really. I tried to GFX once which dc'ed me, but without GFX'ing I don't have any trouble
    -How do you dc?*: I didn't dc, just had the issue posted below
    -Which graphics card do you use?: NVIDIA Quadro K1100M (Laptop)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. yiren23

yiren23 Slime

Jun 22, 2017
    Male
    8:26 PM
    Beginner
    Promise
    -Your operation system: Windows 10 home
    -Do you randomly crash while bossing: Yes, sometimes instant DC, sometimes due to GFX
    -How do you dc?*: DC again with no error message. Sometimes when the HP bar flickers, there is still some time allowance to GFX, but at other times the HP bar just flickers for 1 -2 time and instant DC after that, dont even have time to GFX. Didnt manage to SS before client crashes.
    -Which graphics card do you use?: NVIDIA GTX1050TI

3. shot

shot Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Oct 31, 2017
    Male
    7:26 AM
    sh0t/Davi
    Buccaneer
    Honor
    KimberlyKimberly
    My client crashed again today and this time I made sure to set the compatibility mode to Windows 7.
    Fortunately, I was fortunate enough to be able to (almost) fully record the process of crashing this time from start to finish:

Few important things you should observe while watching the clip:
    • @0:15 - The first encounter of client glitch in which the attacking animation of Targa is facing the opposite direction of attackers and dissappears
    • @1:01 - Key config GUI gets broken
    • @1:02 towards the end - Gradual increase in fps stutter. You should be able to notice it well since the clip has been recorded in 60 fps. Also the face animation starts desyncing.
    • @1:19 - chat box GUI gets broken
    • @1:23 - menu GUI gets broken
    • @2:39 - unusually fast walkspeed?
    Video compression got messed up during last 2 minutes so I wasn't able to show here but it was essentially a repetition of fps stutter with client finally crashing as soon as I pressed for time leap.
    Unfortunately, it was just a crash with no error code.

Let me know if you have any questions about the clip~

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Looks like normal GFX where more and more things start to break due to memory leaks and or NVIDIA not doing its things. I still don't remember GFX ever killing your FPS years ago (I assume before Windows creators update?) so I still think that somehow the compatibility got yet again worse with either NVIDIA or Windows 10. Still waiting for a Windows 7 or below reporting to still crash as well (since our .wz to .img GFX-DC fix).

5. shot

Oct 31, 2017
    Male
    sh0t/Davi
    Buccaneer
    Honor
    I'm not sure if playing the same game on Windows 7 vs playing on compatibility mode to 7 acts the same, but this client was ran on the mode you suggested days back.

Based on all of my previous experiences with encounters like this, one common step that led to crash was that my client was open for a long duration of time (mostly 5+ hours).
    Therefore, my theory would also be a memory leak of some sort as you mentioned earlier. I think my computer was able to sustain fps stutters for longer period than normal gpu because of its sheer amount of horsepower it has over iGPU that comes by default from AMD/Intel.

In order to confirm it's a memory leak, I will open up a resource monitor side by side until my client somehow crashes again :p

6. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    We looked into that long time ago with LilyLily and there's a couple memory leaks in place (mostly related to images loading and unloading and the lack of that). And I doubt compatibility mode is same as the actual system, but its still good to know that didn't help either.

An other option is to temp turn off NVIDIA and go on base graphics card, and I am very sure you will no longer crash than either.

7. Lily

Lily Mixed Golem Retired Staff

Jul 23, 2015
    Female
    UK
    12:26 PM
    Lick
    F/P Arch Mage
    The current set of leaks/awkward handling causing the GFX should be exclusive to W10/NVIDIA only, due to both having tons of deprecated functionality in DX8/9 code and the rest is cut to software-emulation.

I'm not sure this can even be without more shims/wrappers at this point - - Legends+ should reduce how often 'GFX-ing' occurs, but isn't a fix.

That said, I'll see if I can at least get some more W10/NVIDIA fixes in place to L+ to try and at least help with it a bit.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  8. BowJob

BowJob Horny Mushroom

May 9, 2015
    Male
    Leicester, UK
    BowJob
    Bowmaster
    -Your operation system: windows 7 Professional x64
    -Do you randomly crash while bossing: nope, only after killing a boss
    -How do you dc?*: screen turns black for a second and get returned to the login screen with a 'you've been disconnected' error message
    -Which graphics card do you use? intel hd 4000

9. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Not sure if this is GFX. GFX usually just kill your client completely, not kick you to login.

10. BowJob

BowJob Horny Mushroom

May 9, 2015
    Male
    Leicester, UK
    BowJob
    Bowmaster
  11. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
  12. shiqin

shiqin Pink Teddy

May 9, 2017
    SavageBaron
    Shadower
    Halcyon
    -Your operation system: Windows 10 pro
    -Do you randomly crash while bossing: Yes,
    -How do you dc?*: chat bar disappears, then suddenly the game lags, before dcing. i tried spamming scroll lock to get screenshots, but it did not work.
    -Which graphics card do you use?: NVIDIA 1070

13. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    I L O V E N V I D I A AND W I N D O W S 1 0

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. shot

Oct 31, 2017
    Male
    sh0t/Davi
    Buccaneer
    Honor
    This might be a little out of topic, but I'm curious. How did you manage to support DirectX9 and find memory leaks?
    Since the original v62 client is exe file, I'm sure you weren't able to simply decompile the program and look up the source codes.
    And I know assembly language isn't that pretty either so I'm guessing that you coded a program on top of another program? xD

Anyways, whatever work you put onto implementing possible gfx fixes and DirectX9 support, Thank you for your work!

15. Lily

Lily Mixed Golem Retired Staff

Jul 23, 2015
    Female
    UK
    Lick
    F/P Arch Mage
    Memory leaks tend to be just from breakpoints/poring through the assembly, but some of them are due to some of Maple's code being... kind of hacky workarounds for stuff specifically for XP, and not replicated 100% in more modern versions of Windows.

The DX8-DX9 conversion is done with a mix of assembly and C++ (for the rendering, setup, etc) and hooking Maple's calls to every DX8 function, throwing it out to my dll, generating an identical version of that in DX9, then throwing it back to the client. Fortunately Maple doesn't use shaders or anything so I didn't have to do any of that conversion, which probably would've been a nightmare!

Even so it's... been a long project, so I'm glad you enjoy it! :roflmao:

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  16. shiqin

shiqin Pink Teddy

May 9, 2017
    SavageBaron
    Shadower
    Halcyon
    Hi, I just got gfx-ed crash at HT. I set my graphics setting lowest right before HT and it still happened. HP bar flashing.

17. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    I am going give one more 'just try it' solution which is following

Right click MapleLegends client > Properties > Compatibility > Windows XP Service Pack 3

A user in an other server said it worked for him with this method, but I have not much hope personally.

An other option is just to temp disable NVIDIA and use your on-board GFX card.

Still haven't heard a single person crashing on a Windows below 10 with our fixes.

18. Frirai

Frirai Slime

Jun 23, 2017
    Had a DC when my Compatibility was checked, unchecked it and went to HT, DCed half way too. Gonna try this method, hope it works. Hope this thread will be updated. Appreciate it!! Cheers

19. Frirai

Frirai Slime

Jun 23, 2017
    Tried it and also set my gfx lower, still dcing and its getting worst. Return to uncheck the box solution.

20. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Alright. If you have Windows 10 + NVIDIA (seems Windows 7 and below are completely fine with our fixes), try turn off NVIDIA completely and go base GFX card. That should do it, or a VMware XP setup.