1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Accepted Transparency on event exchange removal

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by Skuire, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    4:57 AM
    Skucci
    Shadower
    I'm not a salty dog, but I am writing this on behalf of all the salty dogs who lost their Shiny Pearls to yesterday's whirlwind maintenance.

Please say ahead of time when the event shop is going to close. If the shop is left up, players will hold their currency to obtain later expiring event equips. Then if the shop is suddenly and randomly removed without warning, many players who did nothing wrong will suffer as a result.

The time provided does not need to be exact. At the very least provide a date past which the event exchange is no longer "safe."

Lack of transparency leads to salt and toxicity. Being communicative is the best way forward.
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Disagree Disagree x 8
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    12:57 PM
    Moderator Post
    Stop doing this. This is not the first time people are annoyed because they decide to hoard up the event items until the very end, just to 'exploit' an expiring date.

We've said so many, SO MANY times now to exchange your items at event end because they will be removed maintenance or two later, and honestly, it's up to you at this point now that you didn't exchange them yet.

Yes, it could definitely be 'communicated' even though we've said multiple times in every single event that they will be removed after the event end, but people still try to hoard them as long as possible to extend the expiration date.

If this becomes that much of a problem than we'll just make every event item expire at a fixed date instead of when the exchange is done, so people stop the hoarding behaviour.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Disagree Disagree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Stow

Stow Mixed Golem

Apr 30, 2017
    6:57 PM
    Dazzle
    Magician
    To be fair, you were strongly encouraged to exchange your rewards at the end of the event, so you can't really blame anyone for that, except perhaps your own greed for trying to get a later expiry on your rewards.

That being said, there SHOULD be transparency that you HAVE to exchange the rewards by end of event if that should be the case.

4. OP
    OP
    Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    4:57 AM
    Skucci
    Shadower
    Clarification that I'm not writing this out of spite or anger. Personally I lost almost nothing, though I do know some people who got cucked big time.

You can tell people whatever and say it a billion times, but the problem is that this is a video game and people will do whatever gives them the most perceived advantage. If you don't force them to stop, they won't stop.

This is probably the way it should be. +1

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. MrPresident

MrPresident Capt. Latanica

Dec 19, 2017
    6:57 AM
    MrPresident
    Spearman
    +1 to this. I didn’t lose anything because I already saw this coming but they should’ve been at a fixed date to start with. At the very least I don’t think it’s absurd for it to have been included in the maintenance notes.

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. IHearColors

IHearColors Timer

Jul 1, 2017
    Male
    3:57 AM
    Shadower, I/L Arch Mage, Bandit
    For people who are upset about this, they should really expect the end of the event as their indicator to trade in everything before it goes to waste. You really only have your greed and yourself to blame considering its been a whole 2 weeks since the event ended.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  7. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    I am pretty sure the GMs did give a fixed date, which was the end of the event. The date was made clear at event start. Anyone who purposely held items past the end of the event did so at their own risk.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    This situation was bound to happen due to the very nature of the items. A rolling expiration date actively encourages not claiming items until the very last moment. Previous events handled this correctly by either explicitly closing event trading the moment the event ends or actively declaring how long we have to actually trade in items. An example from the discord during Valentine's: "... Mr. Moneybags and other event NPCs will still be here for a week for you to redeem your event coins and cheese." -Mirrors. Fast forward to anniv, where NPCs were left in for months with no indication of when they would be removed. Of course, that event didn't have expiring items, so nobody seemed to care about removing them (but their removal was still in patch notes).

When the system is designed as such where holding pearls is actively rewarded with a better advantage, this type of player behavior is bound to happen. Blaming the player and not the system for design flaws comes off needlessly toxic. Static expiration dates sound like the way to go to me.

• Agree Agree x 16
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. asaniqq

asaniqq Mushmom

Jun 5, 2018
    Beasee
    Shadower
    The fact that just in the past hour someone was doing the Summer Raffle makes it seem like that it's not so much the staff want us to "try to exchange your items at the end of the event," but rather to punish those individuals who want to "take advantage" of item expiration dates. Why make Maple Hill inaccessible but still allow access to the Battle Points NPC and Florina Beach Summer Event NPC?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    I don't think the intention is to punish anyone. Not everyone can play every day and it is nice of them to leave the npcs available for people who can only play a few days, such as people who only play on weekends due to school or work.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. fredaaaaa

fredaaaaa Brown Teddy

Jun 25, 2017
    Promise
    So I just found out that access to Maple Tree has been disabled after the recent maintenance and I am one of those who don't play Legends daily due to irl and work commitments.

In the past month, I hardly got online but when I do, I go for boss runs and go to bed right after.
    Thus I have these sitting on my characters for a while, but I was preparing to clear up the pearls for raffles today and found out that we no longer could :c
    [​IMG]

Well, I did manage to exchange the pearls on one of my characters a few days ago for some slippers when I had some time.
    When the announcement for maintenance was out yesterday, I also browsed through to see if there are any mention of disabling the event NPCs. Since it wasn't mentioned, I just went to sleep after completing some work on a Sunday night lol

Just wondering if there can be any workaround for this event currency to be used up for players like myself and since now we all know that the NPC can be disabled before the next patch. I am also okay with shorter expiry dates for items if that is to be implemented

12. Fraija1

Fraija1 Master Chronos

Jul 29, 2017
    Female
    Argentina
    7:57 AM
    CherryKiss
    Spearman
    -
    I agree the mention to put a fixed date of expire of the event items i mean i have a maple flag in mouth wich expire like 2 weeks before the one my BF get later... For me its some of a kind awfull because the guys who pulled of in those days make a "good" trade of the item because will be expire in idk wich date...

About the end of the events if the GM's put an event in the "Event Section" who claims to last X counts of days then "All the community" will know that you will have till this day to claim all the rewards that the event comes to offer...

I mean for my personal experience in the only 2 summer event that i participate when the last day of the event will come to an end i extract all the possible rewards that i could get in this moment because i "Know" for logic that in the next day, or in the same day when the clock makes a new server time day (00:00:01) the server will came off and the event would be ended. And all the npc rewarding the items will be "extingued".

About the ones who says that it can't play every day and have a couple of days to play then i say the same... If the GM's put a period of time that the event last then each player will know when will be the time to get the rewards of each individual suspect...

In resume i suggest...

- When each event end then the npcs who offer the rewards automatically stop giving the items
    - Make the items untradeable because this will prevent to sell the items who claim it
    - Put a fixed time of year to make an item expire (6 months, 1 year, x time)
    - Try to make (like always do) an 1 week advice to advise all the players that X Day at X Time all the event npcs will do "X" type of thing..

I always plays by the rules so for me thats are a "not so much of an effort" for each player in this server n_n!

Bye <3

P.D Like always i say SORRY SORRY SORRY for my english Q_Q!!

13. Fraija1

Fraija1 Master Chronos

Jul 29, 2017
    Female
    Argentina
    7:57 AM
    CherryKiss
    Spearman
    -
    Freda the event ends like 19 days ago... I mean i know you was "Busy" but if you manage to exchange the pearls some days ago you could do the same with those you shows there...

I mean honestly...

14. fredaaaaa

fredaaaaa Brown Teddy

Jun 25, 2017
    Promise
    Well, those pearls on the screenshot are kept on my character which is stuck in HT cave for boss runs because I don't have the time to come out and redo the pre-quest on normal days.

I had the time today so I decided to clear the exchange and redo my pre-quest.
    It only took me my entire night to camp and get a manon kill before I need to call it a night in preparation for work tomorrow and I haven't even started to hunt for the marrow and dagger yet :')

15. asaniqq

asaniqq Mushmom

Jun 5, 2018
    Beasee
    Shadower
    You're missing my point, which was to say that it seems like it's punishing those players who are attempting to "game the system," because the only NPC that has been affected was the one that gave out items with expiration date. The other NPCs (summer raffle) give permanent, non-expiry items. AFAIK no actual rules are being broken, but clearly it is annoying to some of the staff and some of the community too ("god damn these sweaty players").

Not trying to sound too salty but when multiple high lvl, long-term players are quitting/demotivated these days because of frustration stemming from the inability of staff communicating changes to the community, it might be a good time for the people who run MapleLegends to think about how they can be of better help (rather than police or punish).

16. s0mething

s0mething Capt. Latanica

May 4, 2019
    [​IMG]. Rip my melon bars. Can we get a 1 day grace period? I've learned my lesson.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  17. LurkinShadow

LurkinShadow Mixed Golem

Apr 13, 2018
    Male
    1:57 PM
    LurkinShadow, LurkinMenace
    Bowmaster, Shadower
    Winterfell
    You don't have 10 minutes to go and claim and you'd just ride the train of elongated expiry date... That's nothing but being egocentric assuming a game moderator will hard code and work over time (they do it for free and are not getting paid) to make an exception for you.
    Quit making crybaby posts, there are more pressing concerns.
    I think you should be extra thankful for even having NPCs up after the event was over.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. asaniqq

asaniqq Mushmom

Jun 5, 2018
    Beasee
    Shadower
    Saar I won't even sugar coat my post, I'm sad about not getting a chance to pull a longer expiration strawberry ice cream bar. Yes go ahead and call this "sweaty gameplay."

Still waiting on someone to pick up on the fact that they solely targeted pearls and not miracle cube exchange. I'll be at peace if someone (preferably staff) just mans up and says "yea we don't like sweaty players like you gaming the system so we only removed the pearl exchange." Then I can just retire and not be a sweaty player anymore. ;)

19. LurkinShadow

LurkinShadow Mixed Golem

Apr 13, 2018
    Male
    1:57 PM
    LurkinShadow, LurkinMenace
    Bowmaster, Shadower
    Winterfell
    I was not calling personally on anyone but unfortunately my tone has probably lead this or that way.
    I was referring to an egocentric conception of gaming the system, which IMHO in this exact case the latter had no flaws and was generous (We're 20 days after the event's official end date (!)).
    I cannot say the same thing about the users that complain.

20. Diziple

Diziple Pac Pinky

Jun 23, 2017
    Male
    HappyGuY
    Dragon Knight
    None
    Chill guys, you can keep it till next year’s event.