1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Information "User online count is everything" and GTOP flaws.

Discussion in 'MapleLegends Announcements' started by Kimmy, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    12:10 PM
    Moderator Post
    For those that know me at least a year, they know that I like to rant about things from time to time. Today's topic is user online count. The count that everyone inside and outside decides how alive a server is, the count that if you hide it, everyone thinks your server is dead.

Basically, the count that you are forced in MapleStory servers to show with no exceptions. If you do not show it, people think you are hiding something (ex: its dead). However, every server's count also always means same thing to people. Nothing is ever taken in mind, which makes it even more flawed.

The user count itself

The user count was used in MapleStory servers since 2008. LocalMS's first version for sure had it, and thus it followed along with every other server, similar as what happened with GTOP's popularity. Usually official games hide it, with the exception of browser games for some reason (ex: Runescape)

Why its extremely flawed

The user count can be flawed for many reasons. The simple illegal explanation is that you can easily manipulate the counter for it to show something different than it actually is. Usually low-end servers do this. You know why? Because everyone keeps look at a server based on the online count! Can you blame them? I am not sure if you even can. If people see a server with 10 online or whatever they won't join it. If they see a fake online count, while sometimes obvious its fake, people will at least try the server... However, if people find out its faked, they usually do not respond very well to it, by potentially quitting the server.

Why each server's user online count doesn't mean same thing

Besides 'illegal' ways you can also boost your user count in different ways. Example, AFK rewards. Do you know why so many v0.83 servers lately have fishing and afk rewards? I highly doubt owners of such servers are interested in people being in-game and doing nothing. Its to boost the user count and to make it look a server is alive. Once again, I am not saying servers using such rewards are dead otherwise. I am saying that it indeed boost the user count and that it is never taken in mind. Player shops (those merchants where you need to AFK) are an other example.

Multiclienting is an other thing. I remember in 2015 before we allowed multiclienting by default people still kept compare user counts anyway. This wasn't the reason I ended up allow multiclienting by the way. The reason was that it could be bypassed by VMware or having a second PC. Having benefits for having multiple machines (pay2win?) together with people not even taking in mind we had barely multiclienting back than was just not worth it.

Its very demotivating if you hear someone that did setup a VMware machine have more benefits over you, especially when you know less well about computers than someone else, which was the big issue back then

GTOP and why its pretty f*cking awful

Together with user count, people also always compare the GTOP rankings. The lower you are, the more dead you are. There are many flaws in even having that mindset, which make servers that allow you to vote multiple times a day exist. Why did this site got so popular? Its the worst mechanic of the Maplestory Private Server Scene. Seriously.

The flaws...

- Its punishing if you ban vote abusers (since it lowers your votes)
    - Its encouraged to allow users to vote multiple times a day with smaller rewards (to boost the voting)
    - GTOP actually permits multivoting, as long its not using a proxy
    - If you are #1 you have a banner without buying premium

Its punishing to vote ban abusers:
    Since pingback voting forces you to vote on GTOP to get Vote Cash, even though a vote abuser is illegally gaining Vote Cash, he still contributes by voting for the server. The more cleaning you do against vote abusing, the less votes you'll get. Its actually bad PR wise to ban vote abusers. Of course nowdays anyone that plays our server see the amount of vote abuse bans these days. We take care of them, since we long given up even caring about GTOP, as well as more powerful tools to battle them.

Its encouraged to allow users to vote multiple times a day with smaller rewards (over 24 hours, full reward):
    I've actually e-mailed GTOP not long ago if this is officially allowed: It is. Yes, they allow you and encourage you to let users vote multiple times AS LONG its not by proxy. Mobile phones, school network, etc is all allowed. This means that 1 person could as well vote 10 times and it being all legal (for GTOP). Once again, this gains you more votes, so its once again good for the server too. Do you get already how extremely flawed this 'ranking' is?

If you are #1 you have a banner without buying premium

I don't even understand this one.

So what to do about this?

Absolutely nothing. GTOP is so popular that its nr 1 on google if you use generic searches for MapleStory Private Servers. Also, if you have no GTOP website people immediately jump the gun that the server will die, etc.

So what is my message with this?

Please base the server's activity by actually playing/trying the server, not just an online count that doesn't mean much. I would suggest doing that if there's actually no flaws in them, but unfortunately there's many.

Alright, that's my rant for today. See you in a half year or so.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  2. Qwiox

Qwiox Mr. Anchor

Dec 20, 2017
    Male
    Los Angeles
    3:10 AM
    GhenghisKhan
    Hero
    Beaters
    Honestly, while I do hate how every private server is trying to manipulate its ratings on GTOP. I think it strengthens the overall image of Legends more than if it didn't exist, being that we're low rate/ top 5 ranking. While every other server has these ridiculous amounts of rates and crazy custom mods that I guess some players really think is fun for a couple of months, our appeal is nostalgia to the core. You know at least the people playing here are playing for the challenge and community, which means a lot more than a number as a label.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. iLovKimberly

iLovKimberly Headless Horseman

Feb 23, 2017
    Male
    Malaysia
    6:10 PM
    Tsukishima/ItamiYouji
    Islander, Bishop
    Halcyon
    Fuck GTOP, fuck user count, fuck people's opinion, fuck people's judgemental attitude
    who gives a fuck
    I give no fuck to almost literally everything MapleF17

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. ElonMusk

ElonMusk Red Snail

Apr 22, 2017
    Male
    5:10 AM
    ElonMusk
    Let's not forget that this server gets popular when MapleRoyal disable registration for their server for an extensive amount of time. Many people moved here because they can not play on Royal. With Royal back online many people are moving back. People keep saying that during the summer the population for this server will broom again. No it will not. This server feels very stall to me and very unfriendly to causal players. The real Maple went down hill because Neckson changed/progressed the game way too fast. End game equipment can be outdated few months later and the power creep is way out of roof. But this server is barely progressing. After so many years the end game equipment are the exact same equipment from the very beginning of this server. Power creep a game too fast is bad for a game long term but no change for a game for the sake of "good old days" is also bad for the game. Yeah sure we added a few places from time to time but I do not think these are interesting enough. The stallness of this server definitely does not attract new players and for a game like this, number of players means a lot. Server with more players are just more fun to play because of the potential interactions. That's why they called Maple MMORPG "Massive Multiplayer". The recent added feature "the monster book" is kind of a joke. I mean yeah we had that on real Maple as well but most people who play this game probably know where the monsters are located and how much HP they have. As for the drops, people can just search that online. The only purpose of monster book is just a collection. Sorry that I can not offer any suggestion for improvements. But that is what I feel about this game.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. OhDoggo

OhDoggo Selkie Jr. Retired Staff

Jun 25, 2017
    Male
    10:10 PM
    Bowmaster
    @ ^

I too, feel like the server is becoming a stall :thinking:
    [​IMG]

In all seriousness, what statistical evidence do you have to back up anything you mentioned? Again, 'this is what i feel about the game' comes up. This is what you think, it is not necessarily the underlying cause or potentially not even a cause at all. If you cannot provide even the meagrest of insight or statistical evidence, why bring in another server into this discussion at all? It makes you look like a blatant trash talker.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    While your post is informative, it has nothing to do with this topic. Of course actual users and actual players matter. I am also aware that there's unfortunately not many hardcore people left... Even with the game being 'much easier' now, its still an issue.

I am not sure what you mean with unfriendly. I mean, yeah, if you do not want spend a little bit of effort into the game you'll not progress far.

I am unsure if you even have read the whole topic, or replied based on the title of the topic.

EDIT: changed name from user count to user ONLINE count to clarify even better.

7. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    4:10 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    I wouldn't worry about GTOP. Players that only care about player count will probably jump ship if they have any reason to think the server is dying. They'll move on to the next big thing, only to lose interest and move to the next. Kind of like certain players that always want a server wipe, they just want to compete for #1 rank, but they eventually get bored and move on. Players that only look at the first banner and top 3 servers may as well brand themselves lazy and judgmental.

These are not a good way of judging a server, to say the least. The server version and features are also very important things to look at, as well as how the staff and community seem. There is a very old saying everyone should know: Don't judge a book by its cover. If people can't even avoid doing that in the most extreme sense, it's their loss.

Maybe what you can do is branch out to other voting sites too, just because. I wouldn't spend money on them though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Stance88

Stance88 Dark Stone Golem

May 28, 2015
    Male
    Denmark
    Stance
    Hero
    Aeon
    User count is alot. a 20-40 player server is as good as dead. Way too empty and boring. This player base is the bare minimum for me, less is too low.

9. SYLegend

SYLegend Dark Stone Golem

Mar 6, 2015
    Male
    You are forgetting about another mechanic which encourages people to be online without playing the game that MapleLegends does have: Leeching

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Anich1456

Anich1456 Brown Teddy

Jun 26, 2017
    Male
    Karikatus
    Assassin
    Boop
    For me honestly it feels very hard to fit into the community as a casual player that used to play like 1 hour a day or maybe less, and i honestly just feel like an outcast the more i try to jump into the game , and it just feels like the old players do not want to open to newer players because they are already comfortable with the circle of people they are already with currently in the server and it just doesn't have that feel of nostalgia at all anymore

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Heartiess

Heartiess Guest

11:10 AM
    DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A BADLY FORMULATED POST, WRITTEN BY TEXT WITH LONG FAKE NAILS, A MALNOURISHED HEAD THAT JUST WOKE UP :) ./startrant

Its actually interesting you say that.. i have the same sentiments often and i guess im considered a "vet". Most of the people i did things with quit, i have a hard time feeling like i could fit in elsewhere now that i play less actively (similar to u, 1hr a day) w/ summer since i prefer being outdoors.

Unfortunately its hard to reward people for playing and not afking because there are so many aspects of the game outside of grinding. However, i know kim looked at this in a bad light but i do think its important to add atleast a little incentice since being lvl 200 isnt a big deal anymore, scrolling op items isnt a big deal any more and the hp washing situation isnt a challenge anymore. Rn we have hunting gach and MB which are amazing but only for those that actively grind for hourS at a time. The fm is dead, theres barely any socializing anymore which BREAKS MY HEART. Even smegaing now risks a ban even though you get multiple people whispering you their opinions or thoughts. I have some "borrowed" ideas from a server that reccently died that i think would be a fun addition if youre interested. Only issue is that its super custom.

I feel like there are less and less aspects of the game that bring people together lately (such as solo-events and certain decisions ie that monsterbook change that was thankfully reverted). Which makes the game leech city without any real alternatives. People dont want to PQ because it requires more effort than afking pressing gene, afk pressing hurricaine, etc.

The game is far from dead, and boosting social media again will help a lot (sorry i had to stop) l. However, if you wish to retain super active players it wont happen the way the server is now :/ Especially gaining new ones due to the issues mentioned in the first post.
    theres nothing that forces people back rn:
    -WS overused, quite a few perf weapons and soon to be BWG (lucyflower already has his, marisa is second)
    -Ht is accomplished in <1.5hr frequently
    -0 community aspect :( 0 fm communicaation, rare gm events (PEOPLE NOW NEED APPLE INCENTIVE TO GPQ???)

/endrant
    This made 0 sense, youre welcome

the only hardcore players left are bishops who leech 7 hrs a day xD *kappa*

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    Personally, I feel like the major problem is a complete lack of new players joining the server and you can really see this in FM.

Anything that not's great or godlike is also almost impossible to sell in FM nowadays. When I first joined in November of 2017, you could sell things like 4/8 int earrings, 5 int masks, 5/5 gloves pretty easily at standard prices that were reasonably compared to the prices of scrolls. The prices of these scrolls have gone up since I joined, but the prices of items like these have gone down since they are such a pain in the ass to sell. Tragic tbh.

To address the main post, everyone will always judge books by their covers and the cover of the book of a private Maplestory severs is its player count.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Sarina

Sarina Brown Teddy

Feb 28, 2018
    Female
    6:10 AM
    Sarina
    I stopped reading after I seen the words "LocalMS"

For what those assholes did to my 2nd ranked Ice/Lightning mage? pffffftt :mad:

I made that server crumble.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. ElonMusk

ElonMusk Red Snail

Apr 22, 2017
    Male
    5:10 AM
    ElonMusk
    I read the post and that is why I am telling you that this server has a lower user count or declining user count may due to the fact that this server takes an extensive amount of time to go anywhere in game aside from other server trying to boost their count. Yes I know this is a 2x server so it should be a lot easier compare to the real maple during the old days. But you have to keep in mind that this is not the early 2000s and the gaming industries have changed since then. I am not sure running this server is your full time job or not but this is going to be an uphill battle for you. Simply put, Maple is a dying trend or MMORPG in general is a dying trend. Let's take a look at the current popular games right now. Not in any particular orders, we have Dota, LoL, PUBG, Hearthstone, OW, and etc. What do they have in common? Well, all their games are players compete with players games and all their game can be done within 1 hour or less most of the time. Now if we look at maple, what can we achieve within 1 hour? Well depends on your level, you can probably gain 20 to 5% of exp of your current level which just does not feel like you have done much. In turn of game play, you are just trying to kill some computer controlled monsters that randomly move left or right. Maple is like a flip phone in which it was popular and influential during a period of time, but no improvements can be made to make them desirable again. I know this is off topic but I just want give you some of my insight. As for why GTOP is doing what they are doing, they probably make more money by doing that. I do not know what is your end goal. If your end goal to run a old school maple server with around 500ish people then you have achieved that and you do not need to change anything. If your end goal is to make money from running maple then this is a bad idea because Neckson has already milked all the money from this game and this game currently does not offer anything appealing to the current market. If your end goal is to have more than 500 players, then maybe do what other servers are doing.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. deribou

deribou Skelegon

Nov 17, 2015
    liesdotcom
    Marksman
  16. Sloppy

Sloppy Horny Mushroom

Apr 15, 2018
    Male
    White Knight
    This server literally has the second highest player count on gtop in regards to Pre-BB servers, and on top of that has had a steady average count of 350-400 ish players at least since I started playing 4 months ago ish. Point being I don't see how that's a low user count considering this is a private server and is obviously doing "better"(Obviously subjective) than all but one server (again in regards to pre big bang servers). Not even going to take into account how its run/actually monitored and enforced compared to other servers.

17. iLovKimberly

Feb 23, 2017
    Male
    Malaysia
    Tsukishima/ItamiYouji
    Islander, Bishop
    Halcyon
    Not MapleRoyals pls, royals is trash. K bye

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Sloppy

Sloppy Horny Mushroom

Apr 15, 2018
    Male
    White Knight
    That was directed towards player count not actual quality of either server lol

19. iLovKimberly

Feb 23, 2017
    Male
    Malaysia
    Tsukishima/ItamiYouji
    Islander, Bishop
    Halcyon
    I will take this as we both agree royals is trash. K we are cool

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    I'll through my 2 mesos worth into this thread...

Anyone who knows me understands why I'm progressing through the game at a rate 12x slower than anyone else. Because of this, I'm often seen as someone who is either too eccentric or too ignorant to take a chance on adding them to their guild. The recent guild I've joined is the first I've ever joined where they seem to think what I'm doing is cool - I mean, I'm well aware what I'm doing is unorthodox, but I'm enjoying myself and I don't care what you think otherwise! I even opened The Junk Yard in the FM, and I'm actually quite shocked at how many players appreciate what I'm doing - I didn't know it would be such a big deal, but I'm glad people find it useful. I just figured that someone could probably use these drops. Again, though, this is a very unorthodox thing to do because you're not going to make a lot of mesos doing it. But that's just it, I don't care about mesos as much as I care being a member of the MapleLegends community. If you want to have a server where people want to become integrated players, then the players also need to take some responsibility toward making sure the community is a place people would want to spend their time.

So, my highest character right now is 85. I'm not leveling any of my characters higher than 85 because I'm hoping that Kimberly can get MPQ working before I'm forced to level further. I love it when MapleLegends introduces a new area. I would have loved EPQ more if all my characters weren't all level 70+ when EPQ came out. I'm stoked that APQ is finally working - even though I haven't gotten married at all yet, it is something I intend to do...eventually. My point here is, I take steps toward the next "end-game" phase. My first phase was level 30 (2nd Job), second was level 51 (LPQ glasses), third was level 70 (3rd Job), and now fourth Level 85 (MPQ quests completed). The reason I do this is to fully explore the available game content for each spectrum of levels and how each class interacts with them differently. Neckson did a great job making the lower level game content rich. Having had a Paladin on GMS, I know the game content choices at the higher levels becomes minimized. End game content is something World of Warcraft constantly sought to improve, and that should be the same focus here. CWKPQ and Pink Bean would be excellent additions to the server. The power creep of the Maker Skill would also be an excellent addition in conjunction with Bink Pean (sic). These have to be introduced slowly - no sense in slamming these all at us at once, but as long as the game continues to add new content for levels 70+, then you're going in the right direction.

This is the only server with x2 exp - the nearest one is MapleDestiny at x4 (I used to play there, they did a wipe and screw them for that!). People choose this server because they WANT to play a challenging game. People who choose the 500x exp servers do so because they aren't interested in investing time into the game, they just want a quick tour and then go on with their lives. That's not the target demographic for this server! So who cares?! MapleLegends is meeting and serving it's target demographic. There's no need to worry about Croosade - they're not even a .62 platform server! I'm not interested in an .83+ platform server! And I'm fairly certain most people on MapleLegends aren't either - but there are some things that came out in .83+ that we'd like to see integrated. It would take a lot of coding and some experienced programmers, but well worth it when the time comes.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 3