1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Information Valentines Event 2021 Balance Changes [Explained]

Discussion in 'Update Notes' started by Nise, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    8:25 AM
    Private servers aren't official servers, official servers pay their staff employees where Private server staff employees volunteer for in-game rewards.

A staff member in another game would be rewarded with certain points that they can use, other games where players would sign up to volunteer would be rewarded for their time.

I'm not sure if staff get rewarded to their player accounts but staff that have their roles lets say,
    • Developer - Can classify as an Admin.
    • Admin - Checks everything and makes sure everything is going smoothly.
    • Supervisor - Trains the Game Assistant into Game Moderators.
    • Balance Team - Balances in-game stuff.
    • Game Moderator - Reply to tickets, and player concerns.
    • Graphics Designer - Makes pixel art/custom sprites.
    • Game Developer - Codes the game.
    • Game Editor - Edits the game.
    • Web Developer - Codes/Develops the websites.

So saying this a Game Moderator isn't going to snoop around and edit the webpage and/or won't be able to touch bugs/glitches.

The same thing goes for Supervisor, Balance Team, Graphic Designer, Web Developer.

Staff are purely volunteers, except the one that manages the server itself (Kimberly, I think.. theres other Admins being Navi and phnx) because staff don't get paid cash money, staff (hired players) probably don't even get compensated for their time being staff in this game, unlike others do.

So at least show some respect for people that take time out of their day to make something for people like you and me a game from the good old days, seriously the audacity you have to say that about staff let alone to Nise.

Anyways, thank you staff team for everything you do seriously.
    MapleF2

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  2. Lin

Lin Headless Horseman

Feb 27, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
    11:25 PM
    Linny,BangHero,Carbide
    Paladin
    Bonk
    I dun need yo sympathy i just think that Reverse equips would be nice if it was Lv 140 and Timeless be remained at 150. Makes sense? MapleF3

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    I understand the anger people feel when their hard work is invalidated by balance changes. Every change hurts a subset of people and it sucks to be one of them this time. It's clear they thought about this and there were too many reverse/timeless shoes/gloves in circulation among the very small circle of pb runners, that they saw this change as necessary.

I've done 4 reverse shoe crafts and scrolled 3 reverse/timeless gloves already. And yeah it sucks. But let's try to farm some pity funny reacts and move on.

Also, please don't go claiming these things without actual proof. I have all my ancient pieces of time pre-pb, and based on the time I spent before and after, I have no reason to believe the drop rate changed. It's always been around 1/hour. And I have spent A LOT of time at ToT.

They also have made a lot of code / db changes in the last year. I'm sure they could easily change it if they wanted to, but they decided not to. If you think you can contribute as a dev, then you should apply.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    The changes to Timeless/Reverse mage equips are very good btw, thanks balance team.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    11:25 AM
    DMsRebirth
    I really should have mentioned this earlier, but LF> Burst Fire to be rescaled like Enrage

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Foxes

Foxes Dark Stone Golem

Sep 2, 2019
    The fact that they did update the shoe slots is good, but still leaves a lot of people screwed due to level requirements. People doing low stat, or buying / making items endgame who then have the level requirement changed have their characters literally disabled if they don't meet that requirement.

"Please don't go claiming these things as actual proof. I have all my ancient pieces of time pre-pb, and based on the time I spent before and after, I have no reason to believe the drop rate has not changed. It's always been around 2-4/hour pre-pb. And I have spent a LOT of time at ToT."

If you're going to argue my claim has no proof because it's based on personal experience, I'm going to go ahead and claim the same for yours. My experience was a huge drop in rate, yours allegedly was not. I get the feeling this might have more to do with their alleged microoptimizations (e.g., if you spent a "LOT" of time there exclusively on a mage ulting, and your drop rate was significantly lower as a result.

They have literally zero transparency around things like drop rates. For all we know, the drop rate was negatively affected by a bug or some other drop rate change such as their rumored drop rate microoptimizations around skills, weapon speed, etc., that they give absolutely 0 transparency on (but have been accidentily confirmed or confirmed in the past). Even if it wasn't affected by that, we simply have no reason to trust that they're telling the truth when they claim they didn't considering the level of duplicity coming from them.

Claiming that, if you don't like it, join the team and do better, is just a deflecting argument that has absoultely no merit.

For one thing, the time commitment of MS alone is generally huge, adding some level of staff duties on top of an actual job would result in most people being burned out, or lose enjoyment from playing the game. Mabye that's why many of us feel like they're doing a lackluster job, because of burnout. Staff is essentially an Oligarchy, they're a council of elders, and if you don't repeat the correct lines (e.g., hp washing good, palis bad and need to be nerfed more), you're not getting in, or your voice won't matter due to dissenting votes. Arguably, at least here, any individuals voice is seen by a few people, whereas if someone were staff, I'd be under an NDA not able to repeat their own opinions. Though of course, as a staff member, you can insinuate the population of the game is too stupid to understand the math of what 200k/50k does to someone's dps. So please, could everyone (not just you, but the population in general, because I've heard like 10 people say that, and one of them was legitimately harassing me, and being encouraged by a GM) stop using the same line of, "If you don't like it, just be a staff member."

• Funny Funny x 7
  7. OP
    OP
    Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    12:25 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    We don't reveal the exact drop rates, but when we change rates we do inform the public. And I can say for a fact PoT drops have not been changed since 2017 (before I joined staff).

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Oradious

Oradious Mr. Anchor

Aug 28, 2018
    Male
    Oradious
    F/P Arch Mage, Gunslinger, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    Why are people still mad even after going through several cycles of radical balance changes?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Foxes

Foxes Dark Stone Golem

Sep 2, 2019
    Do you reveal when you change conditional drop rates? E.g., mage ults, speed booster, etc? The only instance I've ever seen of actually revealing it was around summons. You also keep gach item rates very secret as well, meanwhile literally Neskon, the scummiest gaming company I can think of other than EA, Ubisoft, or Activision / Blizzard, reveals gach rates for tiers of items on their site.

10. OP
    OP
    Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Nothing pertaining to how Pieces of Times are dropped has been changed, is all I can say.

As for why EA, Ubisoft, Activision/Blizzard do that is because they're legally required to do so as its a money for in-game item transaction. If the rates aren't revealed, I believe US courts ruled that it can be equated to promoting gambling to minors.

• Informative Informative x 4
  11. Foxes

Foxes Dark Stone Golem

Sep 2, 2019
    And gach isn't gambling for minors? Pokemon gold / silver was marked as containing gambling by the ESRB just because of the slot machine minigame. It has all the same ticks as gambling (lows an highs), and there's nothing in the ToS against children participating, and I can say I gambled far too much with gach while I was under the age of 18.

And to be honest, I'm not sure I believe the statement that drop rate changes are disclosed. Kimmy's own thread half a year back about removing the drop rate from the site talked about how the changes happen behind the scenes and players are rarely if ever informed.

• Creative Creative x 1
  12. OP
    OP
    Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Not our gach, because its not a IRL money for in-game transaction. This is China's rendition of the loot-box rule I mentioned:
    Our gach isn't available for sale so we don't even fall under the purview of the loot-box rules.

Yes, the context was in the past it wasn't informed, but since we've established a balance team we've been quite transparent about changes that we make. Of course barring unintended changes aka bugs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    The original topic of debate was because you anecdotally felt like you had a lower drop rate of PoT, so something must have been changed by scumbag developers. You even ignored others saying it seemed the same. You even ignore staff saying it *is* the same. How many layers of tinfoil hat you got on there?

In regards to the gach in ML; users arent spending anything to use a gach, so it really isnt gambling in the sense you are trying to frame it in. Even in the case of the gold/silver game corner, players at least spent virtual currency to "spin" the slots. Here, a gachapon ticket cant be bought or traded for any amount of real or virtual currency, so you aren't "out" anything for playing.

P.S. I've actually had better luck with PoT since the release of PB, so that must obviously mean it's been buffed ;)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Foxes

Foxes Dark Stone Golem

Sep 2, 2019
    So literally one person claimed they had the same drop rate, and that's me ignoring "others"? I've only seen one individual make that claim outside of staff. The personal attacks are great though, really makes me miss and remember the old Maple, where I get called the N word by someone who scammed me out of a $50 mts item. Makes me real nostalgic.

If your idea of transparency is having a hidden system behind the scenes where something beyond the players control or knowledge determines that player 1 will get a better drop rate than player 2, then you should probably look up what that word actually means. In addition, there's little to no transparency around skill changes, rule enforcement, or other balance changes, and why they were made, yet why long standing issues the community constantly talks about don't happen.

• Creative Creative x 1
  15. OP
    OP
    Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    You do realize you're replying a skill & balance change explanation post right? :funny:

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  16. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    We haven't changed the drop rates for Pieces of Time.

If you don't believe me because you don't trust staff, then there's nothing we can say to convince you otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    The only personal attacks I see here are from you really.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Waeri

Waeri Horny Mushroom

Jul 22, 2017
    Female
    Waeri
    Bishop
    Vivid
    Telling people to join Staff is not deflecting the argument, rather I am telling people that's a possible solution to getting a change to push out changes they would like to see. It's constructive.

Anyhow, at the very end of the day, no one is forcing you to play this server or this game. It sounds like you really are not enjoying your experience here and would probably be happier uninstalling MapleLegends and hopping onto a more "transparent" server given how you feel there is "little to no transparency" to changes that do happen even when Staff has clearly been making more efforts to BE more transparent with these Balance Changes threads.

Like Mirrors said, no matter who tells you or how many people tell you there has been no changes made, you will continue to believe what you choose to believe because you feel like your gameplay was affected after these changes. Unfortunately, I hate to say it, but you have to also remember that being unlucky isn't a bug. :(

And lastly, in regards to the actual level requirement changes for equipping gear, that is unfortunate for those who were affected, but again, MMORPG's are bound to evolve with changes to balance out what was imbalanced before and also to keep the competition between users/friends ongoing given the changes that are applied. This is where players learn to adapt and develop new strategies/gameplays/equips/items in order to evolve with the game itself.

• Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Foxes

Foxes Dark Stone Golem

Sep 2, 2019
    Repeatedly misrepresents argument, the ends paragraph with a personal attack.
    Did you misread me as iPippy? I hear he gets that a lot with other players. I'd love to see an example of an actual personal attack I've made. I've made a couple false statements I've admitted to being wrong about, however stating that something false is by no means an attack. At a couple points I used the mocking spongebob meme text format, but to claim that is an attack would be a stretch to say the least. The one meme post I made 2 weeks ago I guess could count, but by that logic the entire islanders meme thread is personal attacks on GMs.
    Transparency means more than dictating what is happening, and some minor explanations and Q&A. That would be like saying the Chinese Comunist Party is transparent because they had a staged press conference where reporters could only ask approved questions (or refusing to answer questions because of a lack of transparency).
    I personally would appreciate it if you would refrain from contacting me, including via quotes. This request has nothing to do with this thread, and as such I don't believe I should respond to your quote as to not invite further communication.
    To be clear, you're claiming someone should join an exclusionary elite class of oligarchs in order to improve their own situation? You realize that kind of thinking is why some people think staff only advocate for themselves, right? Even if that's an inaccurate discussion, that's like saying "If you don't like how this country is run, you should run for president." I hear someone did exactly that recently and the people who use that kind of argument were pretty upset with him.

Ignoring that arguably memey argument, it is simply not possible in some peoples lives to make that kind of commitment, or they'll be denied based on factors outside of the quality of a job they'd do as staff.

They're being "more transparent," sure. But that doesn't solve the major issues with transparency I've repeatedly brought up, or the fact that being more transparent than not transparent at all is a pretty minor difference compared to what would be healthy for a community.

Can you define then, how someone spends 4-6 hours at one map farming one item that supposedly dropped once an hour, and gets none? Prior to the patch, I'd get gach tix at around twice the rate of PoT, mabye more. During that 4-6 total hour grinding session I got probably 15-25 total gach tickets, which to be completely honest, sounds about correct. "Being unlucky isn't a bug" is a meme excuse for an argument, and a deflection like telling someone to just try harder when you dangle something over their head. Did Kimmy tell people they just needed to look for cards harder when shanghai cards were released and they were broken to not drop for the first 24ish hours?

Changing a level requirement in a way that disables characters isn't evolving, it's devolving.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. uwu

uwu Mano

Sep 13, 2020
    Beginner
    I feel like my brain devolved reading all of this

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1