1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do we have not relog into Boss Maps when logging off/DC???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bienfu, Oct 9, 2022.

1. bienfu

bienfu Pac Pinky

Aug 14, 2022
    Male
    10:53 PM
    secondpink
    Beginner
    Question^^^^^

many private servers have been able to do it, what stopping maplelegends?

2. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    Bosses, PQs and expeditions are all instanced in ML and have their own "session". Currently there is no way too add someone back into the "session". We can warp them back into the map but they'll be kind of like a ghost and not actually registered in the instance which can cause all sorts of issues (not being able to exit the map, logging the boss expedition possibly, glitching etc). Even GMs are unable to add themselves into an instance at the moment, so it's really a technical limitation.

Also just curious how do other servers handle people possibly abusing this mechanic, I.e. Zak helm buyers dcing on purpose at the beginning of the run and then relogging back right before it dies to get the drops?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    bienfu

bienfu Pac Pinky

Aug 14, 2022
    Male
    secondpink
    Beginner
    those other servers have SoK, so people dont buy helms like that lol

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Mirrors

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    Ah makes sense. Yeah ML won't implement SoK so if anyone had a solution to that problem let me know!

5. LeonardoJF

LeonardoJF Zakum

Jun 16, 2021
    Male
    Rio grande do Sul - BR
    2:53 AM
    ItzLeo
    Paladin
    Favela
    at first I was thinking about it "why dont come back in map" but when u lear a bit about debuff mechanic (like seduce), and learn a bit about mule-ing you will see this mechanic is pretty unfair

6. Camazotz

Camazotz Pink Teddy

Sep 27, 2020
    Male
    1:53 AM
    Camazotz, AoKuang, Heimdallr
    Dark Knight, Marksman, Shadower
    Caffeine
    Cause then I could just log off and log back in at the end of HT to get a pendant.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    Maybe there could be a time limit like two minutes to log back in. That would help people who crashed/dropped packets but not let people AFK the whole run.

8. Mirrors

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    That would work I think... What about the case where you're seduced or something and you're about to die, so you dc/logout in order to not die? Or squads all DC or logout to avoid being sed? (Unlikely but still a possibility for abuse) T.T

9. Lucidcat

Lucidcat Mixed Golem

May 14, 2021
    2:53 PM
    implement bossing death count (relog) limitations

10. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    [​IMG]
    That's exactly what people will do

11. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Fairest way to handle this is to treat a log-out during seduce as a death, so when you log back in, you log in dead.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. 8TEEN

8TEEN Pink Teddy

Apr 28, 2020
    Female
    1:53 PM
    Macbeth, Viona, Torrie, Wilson
    Paladin, Bishop, Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    I think the concept of relogging into the same boss map is a great QOL for all, especially with the server issues lately.
    But the loop holes around it has to be systematically thought-through and dealt with before implementation

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Mirrors

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    Great suggestions guys!! Yeah it's just a tricky thing to do with the implementation and the loopholes. If y'all can think of any other edge cases where this could be exploited then let me know, Staff currently has their hands full with other stuff, but I can go ask our dev later if this is even possible on a technical level before moving forward with this conversation lol

14. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    Only edge case would be if the only bishop in the run disconnects for unexpected reason during seduce.

15. Mirrors

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    Currently there is not much of a way for us to tell the difference between a "real" disconnect and someone just pulling the power cable on their router and disconnecting on purpose.

16. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    Maybe DC should kill you. Edit: DC in boss = die but don't lose XP?

• Like Like x 1
  17. 8TEEN

8TEEN Pink Teddy

Apr 28, 2020
    Female
    1:53 PM
    Macbeth, Viona, Torrie, Wilson
    Paladin, Bishop, Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    There’s charms for that buddy

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Estrahl

Estrahl Mr. Anchor

Feb 1, 2021
    Orbis
    Kiyomasa, kage, miko, zoku, etc
    Dragon Knight, Cleric, Bowman, Bandit
    Perion
    It honestly should maintain die and lose EXP just to keep things consistent. Like what's stopping me from nearly dying in a fight against a Spawned boss, just to force crash and then relog in a different channel where I know the boss won't spawn for another hour? Or even in the same channel, knowing that I won't lose EXP?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. DrChuchu

DrChuchu Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Sep 21, 2020
    Male
    DrPikachu
    Night Lord
    Assuming we can bring someone back into the instance, here's what I would propose.

Separate map with a re-entry NPC that would bring you back to the boss with some caveats:
    - 1 time re entry per instance per character. Seems generous enough compared to nothing
    - Skills disabled map. Prevents abuse by death timer extension and waiting for bishop to disconnect to res.
    - Time limit on map. Prevents in map stalling
    - Last logout time check. Prevents logging as a means to stall.
    - Logging out on the map respawns you in town. CC prevented. Prevents any additional logout stalling on the map.
    - Some check to prevent abuse by logging while sed. Maybe auto death on login if logout while seduced. Though if it gets to the point you need to dc to survive a sed, your run most likely has bigger issues.

I'm all for more stringent requirements to prevent abuse because it's better than nothing. Disconnecting during a run sucks for everyone, between feeling you're let down or you're letting people down for things outside of your control.

20. Menkaure

Menkaure Blue Snail

Oct 15, 2022
    Male
    8:53 AM
    Menkaure
    Warrior
    none
    A penny for my thoughts
    Could I suggest bypassing the need for troublesome solutions such as re-registering a player's unique id into a uniquely generated instance of a boss-run thread (which is handled by the client if I'm not mistaken aside from the server-side scripting that is limited)
    and re-inserting into the same ongoing instance with all the loopholes that come with it.
    and use an approach used in big 3D MMORPGs instead (predefined redistribution of rewards upon successful run upon which all the party agrees before entrance is allowed). altho of course, you could track the
    -player id and tie it into a unique ongoing instance so if a player dies and relogs it would -
    check if the instance is still ongoing and if it is then re-register and relog right back into it to continue fighting, could also add a -
    limit as to up to which point it still is possible to get back in to prevent lazy people, so if the boss is say at 20% life left player won't be logged- in back into that instance but instead outside. otherwise, get back right in there. if the same instance the player was registered with isn't ongoing then the player is transferred out.

Upon player death/dc handle rewards: create value list of all possible drops assign value based on market value or some other kind, check statistics such as boss hp remaining or - damage dealt of a said player before dc/death using this -
    data decide which % of potential loot the player deserves, check what the other players in that instance got added to their DB profile as rewards, - assign a value from the list you created-
    to each of the rewards and at what tier of % that player deserves they shall unlock to be received. -
    offer dcd/died player NPC dialog upon logging within a reasonable time or if the instance is ongoing then upon
    an instance being won, the dialog offering the rewards based on the data of their performance and the loot that got dropped and its value in comparison to their performance or- exchange possible rewards for a retry ticket/+1 for the limit of the runs for the day
    never give 100% (best value) of the loot just the second or third value is up to you to decide, so to avoid dce'rs trying to monetize easily on those rewards.
    perhaps add a way for players to check how many times a player has dcd/died within boss instances with a command such as"playerign check boss run stats" before letting someone join and see
    if a player just deliberately dcd if a number exceeds some high number in comparison to the general public on average to discourage deliberate dcing/death.

That way even dcd/due to death players get something based upon how they performed/how much hp the boss had left before the dc or got the chance to try again and forfeit the rewards.
    So it's still not worth dcing cause you don't get the good stuff if you dc at 20% or under of boss hp. Still, -
    you do get a free retry, or if you dcd/due to death at say 20% of boss hp you don't get the best of the rewards based on the list.-
    Still, you get the most like 1 value down from the best that was dropped otherwise. (so not to encourage quitdcing at 21% and still -
    getting the best goods) and if you dcd/due to death early on or half through they could get marginally fewer rewards based on the value list so even -
    less motivation to do that. and on top of that could add a reputation system for bossing and count the amount of dcing in boss instances -
    for other players to see on their profiles. to discourage that behavior even further still.
    you can play with the idea however you like to balance it out to fit the bill. anyway, that was you avoid directly dealing with re-inserting players into instances.

• Creative Creative x 1