1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is Account Sharing Bad?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ProTato, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Taida

Taida Mixed Golem

May 30, 2017
    Female
    NYC
    2:11 PM
    Solstice
    FoxF6Yeah no. His ign was nsfbow.
    Then... report them with screenshots? You seem to know alot about these abusers.
    It would be more unfair to be banning numerous amounts of people without proof because word on the street is that they account share.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Franco

Franco Wolfspider

May 25, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    3:11 PM
    Hotguy6pack/Enough
    Night Lord
    Project
    The staff response makes me laugh so much, what else can you expect, this is legends. Yeah, you can keep pretending you don't know about others who abuse and don't ban them, it's fine. Just funny how you keep finding ways of surprising the old players with how biased you can be, good achievement there OnionPerfect

3. Sucre

Sucre Zakum

Apr 21, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    Sucre
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    The thing is I've heard from previous GMs like Betwixt that they did have tons of concrete evidence on account shares, but nothing was done about it...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Heartiess

Heartiess Guest

7:11 PM
    If you decide to ban vote abusers, use the command and just ban then. Dont ban only 1 because of evidence against only 1 -especially when you have a command JUST for that purpose...

Unfortunately I know why ChrisChris cannot go into further evidence against account sharers, no access to chat logs.
    Which is also an admin issue.
    However, in the past the account share ban followed the SS that SucreSucre posted, meaning only the shared account was banned. Franco being banned now is unequal punishment from that example, and the others whove shared that same account

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Lily

Lily Mixed Golem Retired Staff

Jul 23, 2015
    Female
    UK
    7:11 PM
    Lick
    F/P Arch Mage
    This has not been the case for several months at the very least, and while I'm naturally unable to speak prior to this, account sharing bans in my time as a staff member has followed the current method.

6. Serin

Serin Game Moderator Staff Member Game Moderator

Apr 10, 2017
    Korea
    3:11 AM
    He did not share his account, but someone shared their account information with him and he was using that someone's account for his own benefits.

2.10 Association with Abusers - Associating with any player involved in the any aforementioned abuse via party, trade, or any other methods makes you guilty by association. If you witness any form of abuse, please contact a member of the MapleLegends Staff (preferably with evidence such as a screenshot/video). Punishment: Equivalent Punishment as Original Abuser

I think you guys are confusing the ToS and reading only what you wish to read. If Hotguy6pack was to have only logged to the shared acc and play on it, then only the shared account would have been banned. In this case, Hotguy6pack was using the shared account aka being ASSOCIATED with this ABUSER (sharing accounts) --- being in a party and buffing himself is considered in rule 2.10.

If you are regarding this comment to the sarcastic smegas the community was pooting out after this "Hotguy6pack's" ban.......... FoxShyoops sorry

---------

You guys are all so quick to judge 'staff bias' due to personal affairs or situations from the past. To be fair, I and most of the staff who were online at the time of this happening don't even know this Hotguy6pack player personally or even care about what he did/has been through in the past or whatnot, other than he is a rank 1 player. Respect as a MapleLegends 'Top Ranker', yes, but I feel that what actions we took was the correct thing to do. He was caught in the act, and proper measures regardless of who this player was or is, was taken into action. THERE IS NO BIAS. We are just doing our jobs.

People asking why Hotguy6pack was the only one to get banned? He was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. Again, as the retired staff etc.,/everyone should hopefully know, we need enough and proper evidence in order to judge/ban/whatever a player. Without this, even if we personally assume someone is sharing an account, we are unable to ban them without proper evidence. Which is fair for both sides in an unbiased perspective.

Again, you guys are free to quote snitch quote your friends or foes that you know to 'account share', but as you are not going to, there's nothing we can do about it other than further investigate in our own methods at our own given time and pace. But YET AGAIN! If you feel resentful and hateful of staff due to our actions of only banning the player that we are able to catch within our current perspective.. welp, sorry. Why not help us widen our horizon instead? (Ofc this is just me asking for too much. ^^)

And if this makes you guys feel any better, there are new people within the staff now. I don't know what kind of history you had or have with previous ones but please do not judge our current team based on what you are used to.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Franco

Franco Wolfspider

May 25, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    Hotguy6pack/Enough
    Night Lord
    Project
    It's hilarious that you claim it's just an unlucky coincidence I was the one that got caught using the mule for acc sharing because it's the first time that it's been online while you were checking for abuse. That account is used by a lot of people to acc share and it is used everyday, yet this is the first time you find someone using it? Alright sure, that's believable.

8. Serin

Apr 10, 2017
    Korea
    I don't care if you don't believe me, but I always afk in Ch4 fm so I am assuming you were caught and banned in channel 4 fm.
    The account you were associated with was reported a few times, thus when we saw it, we obviously did a check up. Sorry if this is bad staff behavior for you.
    But I do want to thank you for the free Echos from time to time.

9. Franco

Franco Wolfspider

May 25, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    Hotguy6pack/Enough
    Night Lord
    Project
    And before you ask, no I'm not gonna get people banned for doing what everyone else does. You can just ban me and pretend that this rule is enforced, that's fine. It's just like when my int gear got scammed and the rules for scamming were changed due to that fact yet my int gear was destroyed, neither I nor the scammer kept it. Nothing new here, apply rules in whichever way you like.

10. Serin

Apr 10, 2017
    Korea
    I don't know what happened to you in the past or how rules were enforced back then, but we are doing as we do NOW. You will most likely find and see more people getting banned, as you helped us confirmed "90%" of the population is doing it, so please do not resent us too much for now.

11. deribou

deribou Skelegon

Nov 17, 2015
    liesdotcom
    Marksman
    Hi

I was not present for the gear fiasco, but I was present for the charlo/anego/ksing shenanigans.

Since it looks like the majority of the staff that was present back then aren't here now (I believe Kim, Navi are the main ones left?), do try to empathize. There was unfair treatment in the past compared to the current day situation. Saying things such as "don't resent us" or "we weren't there so it's not related" probably will not smooth things over.

However, if these rulings are consistent in the future you'll have significantly less people angry that have a reason to be angry.

edit: Obviously tensions are rising, let's all do our best to get this under control without any passive aggressiveness.
    Clear communication and acceptance of responsibility for past actions on BOTH sides will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 13
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Serin

Apr 10, 2017
    Korea
    I will apologize if you felt I was trying to brush the past away, so I will empathize instead, however it is not up to me to apologize for the past as I and most of our current staff was not involved; these matters are things to be solved privately if must.

But yes, please look forward to our current and new staff/teamwork, as we only hope to be of-consistent and to the server's favor.

• Like Like x 2
  13. deribou

deribou Skelegon

Nov 17, 2015
    liesdotcom
    Marksman
    Thanks for the quick response.

The past incidents don't involve me, but I did have to bring them up for the sake of consistency.

However, to the best of my knowledge the matters failed to be resolved satisfactory privately, and were closed regardless. Unfortunately, pretty much any member of staff does represent staff in some way shape or form, similar to how an employee of a company will represent their company, potentially even outside of work. Therefore having replaced old staff with new ones doesn't wipe the staff as a whole from past incidents, responsibilities AND success. Everyone takes the good with the bad.

Here's to hoping this gets resolved in a satisfactory manner for all parties.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    12:11 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    [​IMG]

If you're not going to report other players and provide any evidence that others have broken a rule, then don't complain that other people aren't punished for breaking the rule.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Serin

Apr 10, 2017
    Korea
    I agree with you, however you must remember that despite a member of staff representing the whole of us, we are also players doing this in our free time. (Not trying to make excuses, but really.) I can see that many is or was unsatisfied of how things were done, however as everyone should know, conflicts happen. Debates occur. People are just people, even if you group them together and put a label on them. Not everything can be settled in a satisfactory-level no matter how hard we try. There are just some opinions and people that do not match together; this has be considered too, and despite it being completely poo, we cannot do anything about it if the opposing sides always seem to clash, we can only hope that the tiny bit of satisfication is enough to subdue the negative factors.

We cannot guarantee 500% satisfaction to every player, but we will try to give as much as we are able to.

16. Franco

Franco Wolfspider

May 25, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    Hotguy6pack/Enough
    Night Lord
    Project
    I'm not going to report people and get them banned for doing something that has been going on for over a year, everytime the topic of acc sharing was brought up, gms responded saying "It is still against ToS", I even replied on a past thread saying I acc shared previously and nothing happened.
    I'm pissed because this just looks like a case of selective banning since in the last 2 months this is the first global message for a ban due to acc sharing. Are you telling me out of 1k+ players they haven't banned anyone until me? Anyways, I don't want to get into an argument with you about it, it's fine, I already am 200 on both characters, this just makes me not win the sunshine event harder and harder to farm mesos for a while.

17. nanop33

nanop33 Capt. Latanica

Jun 29, 2015
    Male
    Canada
    Retroviridae
    Shadower
    Beaters
    The onus shouldn't be on the player base to enforce the rules.

You're gonna start witchhunts when people have no concrete incriminating evidence? Not to mention there's no way for the player base to even acquire evidence save for the shared acc admitting in chat. The staff are the ones with the IP logs here.

What happens if a well known player that is also well liked by the staff is named without evidence? What guarantee is there that the staff won't just brush it off?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    8:11 PM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Account sharing is caring.

• Funny x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Great Work x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  19. Serin

Apr 10, 2017
    Korea
    Please realize we do not just sit in the FM playing the guessing game of who is who and if they share accounts and check every player and command there is available. We rely on reports and hard evidence. Again, I don't know how to make you believe that this was not selective but truly a coincidence cause there just happened to be a GM in your map at the time.

Congratulations on hitting 200 on both characters though, I will not deny that this takes much dedication.

Also, I guess I respect your loyalty to friends, but this again is a matter of time, and to make it fair and unbiased for you (even if you don't want it to be fair) we will take more time and effort to investigate into this issue.

20. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    That's exactly right. You need evidence to properly punish someone and ensure you aren't punishing an innocent person.

And for that reason, I can't take you guys seriously when you point fingers at the staff saying they are being unfair, when you provide no evidence.

• Like Like x 3