1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is Account Sharing Bad?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ProTato, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Snow

Snow Mr. Anchor

Aug 30, 2015
    Male
    3:21 PM
    Demure
    the only thing this thread is missing:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. nanop33

nanop33 Capt. Latanica

Jun 29, 2015
    Male
    Canada
    7:21 AM
    Retroviridae
    Shadower
    Beaters
    I mean, this is just beating a dead horse here and naming a separate offense, but look at the Charlo ksing anego incident. Nothing was done to offender.
    Yet when the situation was reversed (albeit for a different offense), punishment was doled out. If that's not unfair then I don't know what the definition of the word is anymore.

That being said, Serin's posts above do seem to have a genuine sentiment, so I'm personally at least willing to give the benefit of the doubt for the short term future.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Serin

Serin Game Moderator Staff Member Game Moderator

Apr 10, 2017
    Korea
    10:21 PM
    There will be no witch hunts as "people have no concrete incriminating evidence."
    Which again, we are telling anyone to feel free and let us know! We will work from the information we have/are receiving.

"well known player that is also well liked by the staff is named without evidence"
    Without evidence, we are unable to ban them, but we will look into it and if we find any proof; we will ban them.

To be fair, I already banned a handful of my friends. If this will make you feel better.

I am here on an unbiased level, and am planning to stay this way, so I hope you guys do not judge our intentions as harmful or attacking to a personal player as it was not intended at all.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Piety

Piety (ㆆᴗㆆ)/ Retired Staff

Apr 4, 2017
    9:21 AM
    Centaur & Chaste
    I know that some of you guys might be resentful towards the staff team for things that happened in the past, but I think Serin explained the whole thing very well. Kimmy made the decision to expand the team quite a bit, including some people like myself who are quite new to the community overall (and pretty much knew none of the staff team personally before I was picked up). We have less experience in the server, and may not know all the events or drama that happened in the past, but I joined the team already thinking that general transparency and communication could use some improvements.

We can't just erase what happened in the past with older staff members, but do give us a chance to show you guys that positive changes are being made overall and that we can show you that.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Colin

Colin Orange Mushroom

Jun 8, 2016
    Male
    8:21 AM
    Trinative
    Dragon Knight
    Basic
    Wait, so we're either:
    A) Supposed to unwillingly report the majority of the community
    or
    B) Keep quiet and make the staff team feel like their approach is the best way to deal with the situation?

Seems like one hell of an ambiguous lose-lose situation imo.

Man, and I thought Maplestory was supposed to be a COMMUNITY based game. Believe it or not, the majority of us players don't want to completely back stab 90% of the others, even the ones we don't necessarily like.

Think of it like this: In many regions of the United States, including my own, the recreational use of marijuana is illegal. Despite that, the majority of my own peers partake in such practices. However, do you think I would call the cops on that one jerk in the back of my math class who I know smokes weed routinely? Hell no. It wouldn't solve shit, and if anything, it would just make me an asshole.

The best response to this predicament is just to legalize account sharing; have policies in the updated ToS stating account sharing is at an individual's own risk and there would be close to no chance of account recovery if stolen. In my humble opinion, account sharing is pretty similar in principle to multi-clienting.

Also, if we were to ACTUALLY report everybody who is a known account sharer, well then have fun moderating a server with 50 people online on a regular basis(shout-out to the troopers who were here last summer).

tl;dr: #FREEFRANCO

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Clairvoyant

Clairvoyant Mixed Golem Retired Staff

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    8:21 AM
    Just out of curiosity, can any of the staff members actually address the question in thread title? Why is account sharing bad? It's nice and all to know that the staff, which is a small group of volunteers, claims to do its best to address it, but I haven't actually seen any reasons for why the account-sharing rule is even in place (or at least, what I think are good reasons). As Julie mentioned, I'm quite positive that many, or at least some staff members are aware of people that account share but aren't willing to act upon it. It's a difficult rule to enforce, and it's certainly prone to bias despite what's been said in this thread.

• Like Like x 4
  7. wokkie

wokkie Mushmom

Apr 18, 2017
    Male
    Banned
    TLDR: staff made clear they don't give a fuck. You can abuse all you want as long as you don't say anything, GG easy game.

Atleast i'm happy the staff here isn't full of trigger happy nazi's who want to ban as much people to feed there powertrip (Poofkek not included)

8. Galcian

Galcian Mushmom

Jun 1, 2017
    Male
    Galcian
    Pirate
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. ChibiBeany

ChibiBeany Slime

Jun 30, 2017
    Female
    Beanybaby
    Assassin
    Chef
    yes but just because you do not report someone, doesnt mean someone else wont. an anon could report, so even if you don't, people could still be at risk ... does that make sense? lol im sure youre not trying to be a jerk and backstab people but im just stating that there are probably people who dont see it this way and will report no matter what, and if they're quiet in the game, you wouldnt know whos doing, saying, feeling, or thinking what. like you may not rat your friends out for smoking pot but it doesnt stop someone else from reporting if they see them doing it. i wont go into saying "legalize account sharing" since i have questions about this still, but i feel like no matter what... nobody will be happy with whatever choice they make. you can't please everyone so im sure if they legalized that, there would probably be another thread complaining about it or something... similar to the ap reset price situation (which im not getting into, but just saying how you cant please everyone lol).

thats all i wanted to say ;p as far as the other stuff in terms of why it is bad or how to spot "sibling sharing" situations, i'm interested in that information as well. i am relatively new to this server so i wouldnt mind some clarification on those subcategories. and do not read this comment as a dig, im just trying to state my opinion ;p

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    7:21 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Well let me put it to you this way then. If you want to complain that the staff is passing judgement with this rule with an uneven hand, yet you don't report your friends who you know you do it (but let's say you report people you don't like) then you have no moral high ground or legitimate reason for complaint because you don't apply it evenly yourself.

If your problem is with the rule itself, why are you only speaking out now? I recall someone saying something was unfair to Franco, someone screwed him over, broke a rule, but the rule got changed. So yes, let's do the same thing. Franco breaks a rule, now we'll change it. Talk about an appearance of staff favoritism.

Ah but wait. Now the staff are put into one heck of a predicament, where they are biased and unfair if they ban him, but they're definitely biased and unfair if they change the rules only when someone they think is important gets in trouble.

Personally I think this account sharing, as well as mult-clienting and leeching has ruined the game and the community. It says a lot if all but 50 people broke this rule. Moreover, it says a lot about you and your friends if you think 90% of the community broke it. Might as well be an admission of guilt and guilt by association.

Which would probably lead to you and your friends being investigated, banned, and cue more whining about censorship and unfairness.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Pieter

Pieter Slimy

Aug 3, 2015
    Male
    Pieter
    Marksman
    Demure
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Serin

Apr 10, 2017
    Korea
    In many regions of the United States, including my own, the recreational use of marijuana is illegal.
    In MapleLegends, account sharing is "illegal" and a ban-able offense.

However, do you think I would call the cops on that one jerk in the back of my math class who I know smokes weed routinely?
    On an unbiased level, no, as you would stated it would 'make you an a-hole'. However, is it the correct thing to do in terms of the "law" (Rules/ToS) you agreed to abide by and to while signing up for this game and community? Yes. But no one is forcing you; we are open ears, and asking for reports be-it from you or others. If you are unsatisfied by seeing 'that one jerk in the back of your math class' walking and dilly-dooing about while your friends and peers get caught and jailed, this is not only for staff to be blamed, but the person keeping it to themselves as well.

And if you are really to compare this to the illegal use of weed, then this can be seen as another example of why we are unable to monitor everyone 100% 24/7 a day.

Also, just because 90% (I see some of you are taking this number seriously lol oops) of the community is doing it, does not mean you have the right to. You just have to make the right choices, as you do while making any life decision. The decision is just based on your moral ethics.

The best response to this predicament is just to legalize account sharing; have policies in the updated ToS stating account sharing is at an individual's own risk and there would be close to no chance of account recovery if stolen. In my humble opinion, account sharing is pretty similar in principle to multi-clienting. Also, if we were to ACTUALLY report everybody who is a known account sharer, well then have fun moderating a server with 50 people online on a regular basis(shout-out to the troopers who were here last summer).
    No comment on this, as I will not speak for the future of MapleLegends in terms of any change in ToS, and as I don't want to give any false hope. Thank you for your thoughts/opinion on this however. I will leave this part up to whoever has authority.

I will just quote what Lily pointed out here, and again, regardless of any personal opinions you guys have for "WHY", there will always be a debate, just as there is always two sides to an issue. However, despite the "why" and "why not"'s, please remember again and clearly that it is you the users/players who agreed to the ToS's and who's duty it is to abide by them and all the Rules as a player of MapleLegends. And this rule specifically states that Account Sharing is an illegal and ban-able offence, which we as staff have the right to ban whoever we find abusing this. Hope this is understandable.
    **Edit: Oops I will edit this part in, I will apologize if anyone thought I was avoiding this, I am just blind lol o)-(
    As Julie mentioned, I'm quite positive that many, or at least some staff members are aware of people that account share but aren't willing to act upon it. It's a difficult rule to enforce, and it's certainly prone to bias despite what's been said in this thread.
    We currently do have a list of players we are to keep an eye out for as they were reported, which I am assuming is the thing you are talking about (If not, I have no idea?) But again, even if we have the longest list in the world, without hard evidence, we are unable to do much about it. We cannot ban players just because another player 'told us so.', as it should be.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    I remember there was promise of a reward when you reported someone violating the ToS, is that still a thing?

14. Serin

Apr 10, 2017
    Korea
    Yes, there is a reward system for specific types of reports and depending how honest/valid they are. I will not list the amount however, as I do not wish to compare players' worth to game cash.

• Like Like x 2
  15. bunniescool

bunniescool Horny Mushroom

Mar 21, 2017
    Male
    Bunniescool
    Night Lord
    Animals
    I'm curious about the sibling issue. If siblings use the same computer and IP address, can you see that they are account sharing other than alleged screenshots (thus no hard evidence)? Do the rules also apply to them still? This is an extremely gray area and I'm sure it's not the main issue, but I'd still like to know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Serin

Apr 10, 2017
    Korea
    We have a simple white list for sibling-shared accounts; feel free to DM any GM with your sibling's IGNs/ID's.

I will not give away how we know who is who, but I can tell you that though it is difficult, it is still pretty do-able; at least I can say with confidence that during my current time here in staff, I have seen a bunch of people who claimed to have been "siblings" or "boyfriend/girlfriends" living together get caught for lying to us, thus leading to their ban.

But in most cases, it takes trust from both staff side and player side. But I can say this with clarity, if you are to get caught lying to a staff member despite making it onto the white list, the punishment would be taken into more severe measures. It would be better not to test us.

• Like Like x 1
  17. bunniescool

Mar 21, 2017
    Male
    Bunniescool
    Night Lord
    Animals
    Thanks for the reply. And one more question, if you don't mind. Is the account sharing rule still enforced for siblings? Like let's say my brother got on my account for a party buff or transferring of items, even though I have given him permission, are we still both banned?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Serin

Apr 10, 2017
    Korea
    Like let's say my brother got on my account for a party buff . . . . . .
    I'm assuming this regards to the 'party buffs' such as HS/SE/SI/etc.---- Yes, as it will give an unfair advantage to other players. For the item transferring thing, just have a trusty friend or duey-it to him as other players do for each other. Annoying, but safe and ethically a positive choice for both sides.

A tip though on transferring items/equips as my sister used to play MapleLegends with me.
    I like to take each character to the same NPC shops -- most likely Lith Harbor or Henesys Hair Salon and drop the items really quickly and log off and have my sis login to her acc and loot it back. Of course this is just how I did it though cause I didn't have any friends;; HAHA....... FoxShy

-- *Edit: Also, let me add; I don't know how common it is for siblings to know each other's account infos (I sure as heck don't know my sister's), but regardless as our ToS states: "Account sharing and giving away accounts is prohibited, no exceptions."

Hope this answered your questions!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  19. bunniescool

Mar 21, 2017
    Male
    Bunniescool
    Night Lord
    Animals
    Alright thank you! Good luck out there with the community.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Heartiess

Heartiess Guest

2:21 PM
    Logs have most of the proof when it comes to account sharing. GMs and Assistants dont have access to that. Therefore they cannot fairly ban anyone unless they just go to the person and ask "who is this". Using only IP address is extremely flawed and cannot be used solely to prove account sharing either.

What I and Clairvoyant meant was that there is no doubt you know people in your own guild / buddylist who account share or have a shared mule with others. I had to ban one of my closer friends on ML because he quit and gave his account info. Thats the issue with bias, you will ban the ones who have been reported but you will (as most players) not take the initiative to report your friends. "Anon" reporters most of the time wont be able to tell if the account is shared or not because people who account share dont openly say it to random people, they tell their friends.

^o^ ToS has needed updating since before january