1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is self-leeching allowed but smuggling disabled?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Distance, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Distance

Distance Dark Stone Golem

Jan 23, 2015
    Male
    4:06 AM
    Title

I would like to bring this question up for discussion, seeing as how back in the day Neckson disabled multi-clienting originally, you couldn't open two MapleStory.exe windows on the same computer user.

Smuggling was part of the game (there was no action taken against it until late v70s), although it was forbidden in the game's ToS as well.

I personally see self leeching a much bigger problem to the game than smuggling.

Should smuggling be allowed, perhaps only at certain PQs like HPQ? Should both be disabled?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Dreams

Dreams Mano

May 25, 2015
    Male
    8:06 PM
    InYourDreams
    Marauder
    Horizon <3
    At this point in time it's a moot point really.
    But I think multi-clienting should have been banned from the get go.

3. Marty

Marty Headless Horseman

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    3:06 AM
    Broken
    Shadower
    Horizon
    There's always a way around multi-clienting, so disabling it would be lacklustre. I'm not sure if it's possible to completely fix smuggling, but if it is, then that should be disabled, since then it's actually completely fixed (unlike multi-clienting). Hope that makes sense...

• Like Like x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Distance

Jan 23, 2015
    Male
    Just stating what I know, since the last time I played: you can't drop things when you are in the leaving map of a PQ, in MapleLegends, however you could do this in gMS v62.

Also: When a person uses the same computer for Maple his IP gets logged on both characters, so unless he is a nasty hacker GMs can tell when someone is self-leeching. So, suppose self-leeching was bannable, GMs should work to ban those who disobey the rule, and those who are hacking to manipulate their IP, would be hacking, and hacking is already against our ToS.

As ML is a server that works to have perfect features, I think it is its duty to make sure its players play a fair game, no rule should be cancelled because it is too hard to execute, we have to try our best.

5. Marty

Marty Headless Horseman

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    Broken
    Shadower
    Horizon
    It's still not that hard to get around the rule but it's so much effort that I doubt many would do that. I wouldn't.

Then it's more the question if people actually want that. Many Bishops already profited from being able to self-leech their other characters, so disabling it now would lead to people saying they got a huge unfair advantage. But then again, that would mean many potential new rules can be countered by that, so...

6. Sucre

Sucre Zakum

Apr 21, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    10:06 PM
    Sucre
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    They can't tell if it's a sibiling or if it's actual self leeching. For instance, franco and i play everyday from the same ip. What if he leeches me? Would that be considered self-leeching for leeching a character logged in with the same ip? I don't think it's as simple as you intend it to be

7. J4sper

J4sper Brown Teddy

May 29, 2015
    Male
    2:06 AM
    Jasper
    Warrior
    I thought self leeching is against tos of maplelegends? Thats why i didnt bother starting a priest because i read it and it was inspiring that noone will self leech like royals do

8. Sucre

Sucre Zakum

Apr 21, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    10:06 PM
    Sucre
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    Nowhere in the ToS of MapleLegends does it say that self-leeching is prohibited.

9. J4sper

J4sper Brown Teddy

May 29, 2015
    Male
    Jasper
    Warrior
    Absolutly disapointed

10. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Sandboxie has been disabled, which is a multi client tool, which was also disabled in 0.62 because you couldn't run Game Guard twice on same PC (know that fact based on experience with GG from other games).

There's ways around it and unfortunately now in 2015 over 2008 there are a lot of alternative ways that are so good that we can't tell the difference at all.

As of Smuggling. It was seen at many places as "glitch abuse" and so it was here. Thus, we disabled the ability (and patched the holes) to be able to smuggle.

11. J4sper

J4sper Brown Teddy

May 29, 2015
    Male
    Jasper
    Warrior
    so is selfleeching allowed?

12. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    There are (currently) no rules set for self leech.

13. OP
    OP
    Distance

Jan 23, 2015
    Male
    Five years later we get people training with 3 mules in their party.

At what point was the block on multiclient lifted?

I returned to my character about two weeks ago. At first I was amazed at people's dedication. I thought there were few who were taking advantage of the situation, and told myself "well, they're not the majority, so it's not like the entire server population won't hang out and train with you". Then, when I saw how popular it had become and how it was still hard to find party members at maps around the maple world despite the high online player count, I was repulsed. Then I saw I have some mesos for leech, so I drank from the polluted river and it tasted great at the time. I even made an English speaking friend with a partner while buying leech from non English speakers. But he only leeches, so I'm ashamed to offer we do quests and explore together. Now I am perplexed. Was there really no discussion about this throughout the years? No one thought to put a cork on it before it was too late? Well, the only advantage I see about it is that it significantly increases the online count, that's for sure. I don't want to sound as an ass, but I just don't want to continue to play a game that has become a cringy facility for efficiency. I love MapleLegends. I hate what it has become. I wish there were a multiclient free world in ML. Sadly, I wouldn't have time to recreate my character even if such world were created.

Alright, why are you people reading this? You're losing time. Back to your mules!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    9:06 AM
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    People who want to be as efficient as possible will always do that no matter whether you try to stop them.

There are still plenty of people on the server who hang out and do non-grinding related stuff together, you just gotta join a good guild. People make friends here all the time lol.

Sadly, this does come across exactly as being an ass. I'm sure there are fun uncringy servers out there~

Non-multiclienter btw, I have always only mained one character aside from an owl mule.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SapphireJ

SapphireJ Dark Stone Golem

Aug 30, 2017
    Male
    9:06 AM
    HarmonyMagic
    Beginner
    Agape
    IMO, that's just how these players wish to play their game, considering the Mapl- I mind LegendsTip of "It's your story, don't let others decide on how you want to enjoy the game" -- I don't see a problem with making mules, but at the same time yea while I sort of agree that some of the questing spirit is lost, it's kind of what people chose to do and not us unfortunately :(

I am a multi client player myself, but I haven't done any mules - I only do multi clients to just buff and fund my new slowly created mage.

There will be people who wish to play Maple Pre Big Bang as a grinder, quester, just for fun, etc, just let them play the way they want.

16. Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    6:06 PM
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    Yeah the player count is high now, but back when 300 people were online on the server do you know how awful it would be to play the game if you couldn’t multi-client with mules? Imagine sitting at HPQ for 6 hours and no one comes; hell thats still the case sometimes. Imagine wanting to HT but you can’t because there are no BMs on the server online who want to join. It’s just a nightmare playing a low population server without mules/multi-client.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    9:06 PM
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    the more things change, the more things stay the same.

18. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    Do the right thing: ban multiclient.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Pelinsu

Pelinsu Timer

Jan 15, 2022
    I still don't understand the motivation of people asking for the multiclient ban.

It sounds as if like "these people don't play the game as I want them to play the way I want, so ban this."

In 2023 (as explained above) you can pretty much multiclient any game, there's no real stop to that.

Instead, here's my two cents of how to resolve this "issue":

- Create a guild or a challenge that allows only single client play, just like the ossyrian challenge. That way you can create the atmosphere you wanted and have a community that you "dreamt" of.
    - Let people enjoy things.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    It's a problem because of the effect it has on the economy and because balance changes intended to reign in multiclient also hurt single client players.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1