1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Continuing Skill Balance

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Tessy, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Tessy

Tessy Blue Snail

Apr 11, 2017
    Female
    4:18 PM
    Hello everyone!

First of all I must thank you for this amazing feature! It is the first server I see that tries to rebalance classes and that is amazing! Old Maplestory was fun but was also very unbalanced.

Your changes definitely help, but I think there is still room for improvement, which could even get you farther :).

There are some "useless" skills that never see play (such as Crusader's shout, Chief Bandit's chakra, etc.) that maybe with a little buff could be playable (like what you did to Rage ^^).
    Furthermore, something could be done with the supremacy of Assassins on every old maplestory server. Their natural low attack items coupled with all the attack multipliers gets out of range and they out-dmg almost everyone and have more mobility than everyone when funded. They attack 6 times and deal more than double the damage of Savage Blow, for example (which still has to be used during 4th job). Maybe instead of buffing others a small nerf to their Critical or Triple Throw could help.

Anyway I love the job you are doing and that is why I encourage to push it even more! Keep up the good work guys :p

Tess

EDIT: The main point is not nerfing NLs, it is that a dynamic skill change (like some sort of patch notes just to try out things) could work nice for this server and keep poeple interested to see what is new. Just my 2 cents ^^

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  2. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    8:18 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    In before the masses shout this down for the sake of muh nostalgia.

3. Luis

Luis Slime

Apr 11, 2017
    10:18 AM
    None
    Beginner
    I'd say it's a good idea, but u can't deny the fact that theres a big line between good NL's - Shad's and regular-bad ones. Just the ammount of meso needed to properly fund one with good dmg it's enough reason to not nerfing it (Also considering HP washing being expensive aswell)
    I agree on the buffing part.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Heps

Heps Slimy

Feb 13, 2017
    Male
    3:18 PM
    Defender
    Every job in MapleStory is unique. Some are better for bosses, some are grinders and some are destined to be supportive or dependant on other classes. Nerfing v62 skills is just a no go. Buffing is something worth mentioning, but is needed to be thought through...

5. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    The skills I looked at to improve for long time is Final Attack, but besides removing the skill from being used by Slash Blast (warrior) I can't fix the dumb bug that damage get split, which is the main reason why Final Attack is so horrible

• Like Like x 3
  6. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Well you could always just increase the damage multiplier of the skill up to the point where it becomes worthwhile to have.

Right now FA is bad because 1) the animation is slower and may cause you delays and loss of mobility and 2) the split damage makes it inferior.

So suppose the skill's damage was boosted up to 400% when maxed. That would make it a very good option while bossing, and then on multiple targets the damage spread would be like:

267%, 89%, 30%, 10%, 3.2%, 1.1%

That's roughly 400% damage total, minus the mobs' weapon defense, whereas slashblast with 130% damage at 6 mobs is still superior at 780% total damage...

But hey, it's about equivalent with 3 mobs, and superior when dealing with 1 or 2, so if you get FA, your playstyle may change to killing mobs where you see them and NOT focusing on agroing all mobs on a platform first before spamming slashblast to finish them all off at once.

I do think that with the way mob spawns work and the time it takes to gather mobs into a big group, at least FA could be viable if we buffed it...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Horny Mushroom

Mar 29, 2017
    Male
    10:18 AM
    Clearly the buccaneer class needs a huge dps update ;)

8. OP
    OP
    Tessy

Tessy Blue Snail

Apr 11, 2017
    Female

Well, since they have buffed some skills straight away I think it is not a bad idea to try new things. Right now, almost anyone that has funding or wants to deal the max damage possible goes NL because its absurd. True, it requires washing etc. etc., but in the long run it is what i said. I obviously do NOT mean all the classes to do the same (for that we have current maplestory where everyone has double flash jump and a skill to clean the entire map) but a little more balance could be appreciated. :)

9. Sam_Vosh

Sam_Vosh Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Jan 24, 2015
    Female
    Somewhere over a fictional rainbow
    SamVosh
    Bowmaster
    Halcyon
    The buff that actually makes triple throw so very powerful is actually Sharp Eyes. The added crit chance + double damage ontop of the double damage it gets from a crit means NL get 4x damage multiplier on their 160% damage mulitplier stars when hitting a crit.

Onyx apples, Heartstoppers, ciders. These don't multiply their damage as much as SE does. Although Onyx apples does nearly double their damage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    Tessy

Tessy Blue Snail

Apr 11, 2017
    Female
    Yes. To start on that, since NLs are the class with the lowest range, they are affected the most by weapon attack. Onyx apple doubles their dmg while for warriors it only increases it by, say, 50%.
    But that is just bad design of the game, a 10% scroll cannot give the same attack to a 40 attack claw and to a 105 attack sword. It is just pointless, but it is another thing ^^

11. Gang

Gang Timer

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Gang
    Night Lord
    Demure
    I think nerfing is the wrong way to go here. Nerfing a class after someone has put tons and tons of hours in a character will only make people unhappy in this style of game.

Buffing classes is positive for everyone. I'm not going in depth on how to exactly buff the classes that need it, I think they all deserve their own thread so every detail can be discussed. One thing to keep in mind here is that DPS is not the only thing that can balance things between classes. Would rather see unique points buffed that make them stand out.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Jess

Jess Pac Pinky

Apr 1, 2016
    Male
    Canada
    7:18 AM
    Jess, osooso
    Corsair
    Noir
    LF> Sair buffs please

• Like Like x 1
  13. brethis

brethis Orange Mushroom

Apr 7, 2017
    Male
    I don't see how doing a flat % increase on some skills would hurt the game if all it does is bring more balance.
    Bandits could use more dmg on Savage Blow for example, as it ends in the main rotation later on anyway. Mages do not scale as well as other classes, so they could appreciate it also. Just ideas to consider :)

14. Nicholas

Nicholas Mixed Golem

Jun 9, 2016
    Male
    London
    DragonNich
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Summer
    too lazy to read what other people wrote: One drawback to the Night Lord class is that it does not have a great 4th job mob skill, which is one trade off for it's immense bossing damage. Also consider the class is balanced by the inflation of its item's prices AND the difficulty with getting triple throw 30; when I joined the server I believe only one player had passed the book.

15. Nicholas

Nicholas Mixed Golem

Jun 9, 2016
    Male
    London
    DragonNich
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Summer
    Regarding other skill issues: DrK should never get Beholder's buff/Blessing past level 20 because then it prevents us from using onyx/stoppers, would it be possible to buff our dragon's blood skill to a higher attack (maybe not 25, but like 20) so that we can at least have that. As the skill is hardly worth sparing the money for warrior pots (because fighting bosses with debuffing makes using dragons blood a pain to recast).

16. United

United Skelegon

Aug 24, 2015
    Male
    5:18 PM
    United
    Dark Knight
    Demure
    just saying:
    beholder att buff later was stacked with att pots (basiclly gave DK +25att at any time) *flys away*

• Like Like x 1
  17. fryber

fryber Windraider

Jun 1, 2015
    Male
    Out of sight, out of time
    9:18 AM
    OpTiC
    Sniper, Marksman
    Beaters
    This might be a little greedy, but can Archers get like +30% on strafe? The other ranged DPMs Marksman is comparable to is Battleship Cannon/Rapid Fire, TT, and Hurricane. Sure you can raise the damage cap, but a strafe boost gives something to someone other than deribouderibou SaltSalt NextNext and myself

• Like Like x 3
  18. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Just want to point out that the price of certain goods in a player-run economy doesn't actually mean anything is balanced. If the prices inflate way beyond the norm for something, it means that either the players who play that class have a lot of money, or there's just a lot of them driving up the demand. Usually it's both, neither of which situations would indicate anything is "balanced".

Also, every class has difficulties with skill books. But I would say some "necessary" books are more difficult to obtain than others.

19. Stance88

Stance88 Dark Stone Golem

May 28, 2015
    Male
    Denmark
    Stance
    Hero
    Aeon
    Speaking of buffing. CB, one of the worst dpsers in 3rd job (who cares about m-e) and the same goes for 4th job. Bad bossers and people in general don't want them on boss runs, atleast on servers big enough to reject people depending on class.

If you buff anyone, they should be one of them. Boomerang Step is slow and it's horisontal range is terrible.

My 2 cents :). Ty for trying to improve upon the gameplay <3

20. Sam_Vosh

Sam_Vosh Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Jan 24, 2015
    Female
    Somewhere over a fictional rainbow
    SamVosh
    Bowmaster
    Halcyon
    Not sure what you're talking about. But Bowmasters don't have a mobbing skill at 4th job either.