1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

How is this game legal?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bottle, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Bottle

Bottle Red Snail

Apr 24, 2017
    5:05 PM
    Hi guys,

I'm so excited about this game. I spent the whole day looking for shady aspects of this community but it looks legit and serious MMORG. I noticed that this game has been running since 2015 and I'm surprised that Neckson didn't sue or try to shut this project down.
    I'm just interested. How is this legal? If not, how is it that creators are able to fight Neckson?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Beagle

Beagle Horny Mushroom

Apr 2, 2017
    Male
    Swoopin
    Assassin
    Toilet
    Private servers are not legal; at least, not in most developed countries.
    One way people get around the legality of it is by hosting the server via an off-shore host, where the server is hosted in countries with more lenient laws, and the private information of the person who rents the host is kept confidential.

I'm not sure whether Maple Legends uses an off-shore host or not - it's possible that Neckson has stopped targeting v62 private servers.
    It's hard to say, but I am glad regardless that this server is online for us to enjoy.

To finish this off, though, you have nothing to worry about by playing the server. They would not target end users.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Bottle

Bottle Red Snail

Apr 24, 2017
    Thank you for the quick reply! I'm more concerned about the game itself. I don't want to create character and get attached to the game, only to have it all go away because of Neckson lawyers. I wonder if Neckson would be more aggressive if the creators were making money out of this server.

4. Beagle

Beagle Horny Mushroom

Apr 2, 2017
    Male
    Swoopin
    Assassin
    Toilet
    That's a fair concern! I don't think that there's much to worry about, though. This server has already been around for multiple years, as have other large private servers. I'm not sure if Neckson has taken a less aggressive stance against private servers but I haven't heard of any large servers being shut down at all for a number of years - although I will admit I was out of the loop for a while so I could be way off base. Almost all private servers accept donations, so I don't think Maple Legends will stick out to Neckson at all on that front. I'm confident that the Maple Legends team have taken all necessary/possible precautions to ensure that everything is Neckson-proof, though.

If it ever does get shut down (though I doubt it will), I'll be happy to say I was a part of it.

5. Slime

Slime Pixel Artist Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    12:05 AM
    Slime / OmokTeacher
    Beginner
    Flow
    I haven't seen Neckson bother private servers in a while, with one exception. Recently a server named Extalia was shut down, I've been told Neckson shut it down, it was by far the most popular private server, and unlike us it was very close to GMS version, I'm not sure exactly how many players played it, but it seemed pretty titanic, like, to the point where it would damage MapleStory's player-base cause of competition. I think they just don't bother with servers unless they get to that point.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
  6. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    3:05 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Well honestly, I think it's all about money, as always for Neckson.

What does Neckson have to gain by sicking their lawyers after this server? Zilch. Even if this server was shut down, lawyers and court fees are not cheap, and they will gain absolutely nothing from the endeavor because we still wouldn't play their shitty game.

• Like Like x 8
  7. Swat

Swat Red Snail

May 1, 2017
    Male
    Fighter
    As the community here is not that big I don't think something will happened

The only 2 servers I know that bezon involved was Extalia that had a huge community and Odin that was big too

8. NatteHond

NatteHond Skelosaurus

Apr 10, 2015
    Male
    11:05 PM
    Probably the reason why Extalia got shut down is because they always used the newest content put up by Neckson and made a profit off of it, which is much like bootlegging a movie that recently came out and re-selling it.

Legends uses the older version, so we are definitely not as likely to be shutdown by Neckson, but the possibility still stands.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GilDesuka

GilDesuka Capt. Latanica

Nov 6, 2016
    Earth
    Kotone, JellyFish, Yesterday, ApplePi
    Beginner, Islander, I/L Wizard, Bandit
    Well, I was goning to explain but everything has been said already SlimeSweat2
    Yeah, Neckson doesn't bother with servers that don't actually entimidate them because it's not profitable. (explains anyway MapleF3)
    And yeah, it's actually a pretty amazing game imo, and this server is the best! Very well made and maintained, with hardworking staff and a warm, friendly community :3
    I hope you find your place and enjoy :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chow

Chow Selkie Jr.

Jul 28, 2016
    Male
    Rip my old home, ExtaliaMs ~

• Like Like x 2
  11. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Basically the game as we play it is practically "abandonware"...

Unless someone at Neckson got the bright idea to open an oldschool classic server again, but a lot of their marketing guys would again probably just tell them it wouldn't be that profitable...

• Like Like x 2
  12. OP
    OP
    Bottle

Bottle Red Snail

Apr 24, 2017
    Heck, I would be happy if they offer classic MapleStory as offline game that you can buy on PS4/PS Vita.

• Creative Creative x 1
  13. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    How would it be "classic" MapleStory if it's offline? OnionF6

14. OonlyCase

OonlyCase Red Snail

Mar 6, 2017
    Male
    4:05 PM
    OnlyCase
    Pirate
    I used to play ExtaliaMS.
    It was a great server, and had a lot of aspects that made it unique from GMS. Even though it wasn't v.62 like this amazing server, it was still pretty fun haha. However, the reason they got shut down was because they got profit from the server and it had a massive population. I highly doubt something like that will happen to MapleLegends.

15. Siggy

Siggy Slimy

Jun 12, 2017
    Male
    California
    2:05 PM
    While I don't think there's too much to worry about, there's always a possibility it could get shut down. Keep that in mind. However, it seems that Neckson has started to go after less and less private servers, especially those with older versions. It's probably not worth the money they'd have to spend to shut a server down if the server isn't directly competing with Neckson, like MapleLegends. Extalia was the most recent large server that I can think of that Neckson went after.

16. Poofcakes

Poofcakes Pizzatarian Retired Staff

May 8, 2015
    Female
    The Netherlands
    Allegedly. :whistling:

• Like Like x 1