1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Scaling PPQ?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Library, May 20, 2017.

1. Library

Library Slimy

Nov 6, 2016
    7:34 AM
    Slave
    If there is another thread specifically about PPQ, or maybe PQs in general, you can lock this one and direction attention/discussion towards that one. I searched forums for "Pirate PQ" and didn't find anything on the first page specifically about PPQ so I figure it's up to me to make a post.

Is it possible to change the rates of EXP for PPQ to be individually scaling (based on the level of each entrant)?

The reason why I ask this is because I just went through 5 PPQs at level 59 - 60 and gained about 14% during each PQ at level 59 and only like 10% for the one at 60. Moreover, the very best run we had took about 11 minutes - and our party had MW20 and SE from FM, so we're fairly good for a party of 3 5Xs and 1 6X.

At this rate, it seems that PPQing at upper levels is completely nonviable as a way of leveling; hell, if I get 10% at 60 then even getting to mid 7x to 80 does not seem to be plausible via this PQ, meaning there is little reason to come. Sure, the hat is nice and so is the chair, but I'm not sure if that's enough incentive to keep PPQing after a while.

Perhaps, there could be a lowered level cap but increased EXP gains to give people more motivation, as for example PQs like KPQ and LPQ only have a 10-15 level difference as a limit before they cannot return?

But quite frankly, I'm not sure if the scaling I'm looking for is possible - I've been told that in the past, PPQ's exp depended on the average party level and scaled downwards (as higher levels = more skills/stats, esp considering the pq is 55-100), but I personally find the current state of PPQ to be a bit atrocious. Of course, if you take this as a complaint of making things to be easier rather than better, I totally understand because we don't need to improve this PQ, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to give it some thought.

2. Healer

Healer Windraider

Apr 26, 2015
    Male
    2:34 PM
    my eyeees:(:(:(

edit: your idea is good, I support

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Library

Library Slimy

Nov 6, 2016
    Slave
    But this size is one that I generally like ... and one I just realized could be used on these forums.

Side note: Does anyone know if you can set defaults?

4. Granberg

Granberg The one and only

May 13, 2015
    Male
    1:34 PM
    Granberg
    Ranger
    Quest
    Just gonna quote it like this to spare everyone's eyes

I'm not fan of PQ scaling, it should be harder and harder to level and not just be the same from 55-100

the font isn't a problem, the size is.

:pinkbean:

5. OP
    OP
    Library

Library Slimy

Nov 6, 2016
    Slave
    Note that I said I liked the size in particular.

As for the scaling, yes, I agree; I just don't know why the PQ limit is 55-100 if there is no incentive for anyone above 70 to continue the PQ. It's not really so much about the EXP gains to make it easier but more or less my confusion about such an open-ended PQ level range without much incentive for people to do it.

Edit: from my understanding, the only other motivation could be the chair and the hat (and improving the hat) but with zhelms, the hat doesn't seem to be strong reason to go for the PQ, leaving only the chair - I don't know how good the odds are on chairs, but it just doesn't seem like there's a point in having the PQ be 55-100 if no one above 70 wants to actually do the PQ. When I mentioned limiting the PQ level, it gives people a much more narrow range of levels in which they must participate in the PQ in order to get the chair and/or hat.

I honestly could not care less about EXP as a means of actually making the game easier, but maybe something scaling better than what it is now, if it's left open til 100. GranbergGranberg my point about EXP, as I first mentioned, is that if I get 10% at around level 60, which is about 5 levels into the PQ's range, then I'm assuming the amount of % you get later on must be absurdly small meaning no one wants to do it later; thus, why have it open to that level?

6. James M

James M Mixed Golem

Apr 9, 2017
    Male
    Texas
    6:34 AM
    GosuDesu
    Buccaneer
    TreeHouse
    Party quests in old Maplestory were already flawed enough. I feel that people have more incentive to train for both the exp AND the potential loot rewards (Mixed golems, chronos, MP3). EXP scaling would perhaps introduce more players, but the fact of the matter is that the meso/item rewards for these PQ's are a joke/useless if we were to exclude the fact that experience advantage is irrelevant between PQ's or Farming.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    5:34 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    I don't think there should be any form of exp penalty tbh. The mobs themselves are pretty rubbish exp, so the main way you gain exp is through doing the whole PQ.

When you level up and kill lower level mobs, you don't get exp penalties for killing those mobs faster. Yet you level up and do the PQ slightly faster, you are penalized. Where do we get that logic? :confused:

Even if the whole idea is to prevent low levels being carried by high levels, we've had mountains of discussions about leeching and the community as a whole has overwhelming wanted to keep the practice. So again, I don't know why we have to nerf this PQ.

8. OP
    OP
    Library

Library Slimy

Nov 6, 2016
    Slave
    According to what I've heard from someone else, that's the way GMS ran it -- I didn't know that about preBB, but I do know that it held true for postBB. If we're trying to still keep things "GMSlike," I suppose I can accept that reasoning but at the same time, I agree with your sentiments - we don't have any system implemented where people are punished for grinding on weaker mobs (e.g. grinding at GS from 7x-8x or higher despite most people going there at 5x or earlier) and in fact, that's all upper level Maplers do when their bosses are on "cooldown" so to speak (i.e. Zak 2x a day, Pap 2x a day, HT 2x a day).

As for the leeching thing and being carried, I don't know if I want a PQ to become sort of like leech - mostly because the point of a PQ is to get things done in groups. Admittedly, someone recently posted in the Accomplishment thread that he/she solo'd GPQ and PQ multiple times enough to garner 40k GPQ points and get the lv 90 version of the PPQ hat; while I actually admire the dedication and consistency to get all that done, I feel that there should be a lot of activity going (at the same time) on by all the individual characters involved. Again, the EXP portion imo should only be buffed because this PQ needs some serious incentive.

Like James MJames M says, rewards in general are pretty garbage and it doesn't help that PPQ's exp is so bad that it requires major attention to even get it to be useful for lv 5x-6x characters... so idk what there could be, as he is also not wrong in saying that farming/training gets you better items (equips / etc drop / scrolls) and exp.

9. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Well if you're going to confirm to everyone that this behavior is GMS-like, you may as well have just shot yourself in the foot and hung yourself from your ceiling fan.

The majority of the community and staff will likely want to keep it the way it is simply because it's GMS-like and for no other reason.

10. James M

James M Mixed Golem

Apr 9, 2017
    Male
    Texas
    GosuDesu
    Buccaneer
    TreeHouse
    At the end of the day, the system in this server will unlikely change because it in fact pays homage to the old, grindy style of maple. I personally HATE farming, but SCROLLS *SLOB*. Idk, you honestly never really did PQ's with the exception of KPQ, Ludi, Carnival, Magatia, Guild PQ, Amoria, pre-BBB (which is already a lot of party quests). I think there should be a difficulty penalty for anyone who tries to solo, make it almost so punishing that it's nearly impossible and in fact a bigger waste of time to do it alone versus a party (rewards will all go to that one player however).
    Speaking of training grounds, those particular spots just work almost all the way up to level 80. At the end of the day, if your concern is the rate of leveling up...well, you're hitting mid to late gameplay, what more (or less) would you expect from a grindy Korean game?
    Finally, most high players I see seem to either: leech, socialize or afk in the FM, or boss as you mentioned. End game maple should almost always only be about bossing. The end. You farm for loot and never really for the exp tbh, and you never pay attention to your level meter anyway (it takes forever past 30mil exp cap...)

11. James M

James M Mixed Golem

Apr 9, 2017
    Male
    Texas
    GosuDesu
    Buccaneer
    TreeHouse
    tl;dr

PPQ fucking sucks and you know it. Stop doing it, because it's a waste of time and boring as hell

12. NatteHond

NatteHond Skelosaurus

Apr 10, 2015
    Male
    1:34 PM
    But the quests give some good exp FoxF4

13. Healer

Healer Windraider

Apr 26, 2015
    Male
    2:34 PM
    & quests

14. OP
    OP
    Library

Library Slimy

Nov 6, 2016
    Slave
    I should have been more specific in my first post. When I said that "I've been told that in the past, PPQ's exp depended on the average party level and scaled downwards" I meant that was how vanilla acted, but, from my memory, that was only postBB (never really got into PPQ preBB) so idk if that's true.

15. OP
    OP
    Library

Library Slimy

Nov 6, 2016
    Slave
    So does PreBB exp in comparison to postBB; what are you gonna do next, tell me to shut up and quit preBB servers cuz they're a waste of time too in terms of speed and achievable endgame? Grinding sucks and I know that too, and so should you - by your reasoning, maybe then you should stop playing this game because "it's a waste of time and boring as hell."

Also, whether it's boring or not depends on opinion - I actually enjoy its format, because I don't think it's too difficult and the set up is fairly easy, and I enjoy that there are quests embedded into the game that can be done only through PQs.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  16. OP
    OP
    Library

Library Slimy

Nov 6, 2016
    Slave
    They do strive to keep things like that, yes, but they also do eventually change things. I don't know how much or where I can push, but I figure I can try. If nothing comes of it, at least I know that for sure.

I know that you've personally been pushing for mage changes, but some changes that have passed, which I'd like to note, small or big, that are definitely not GMS-like (according to v62) are: pretty sure ToT was not there v62 but I can check again, the Ellinia Dungeon entrance, Paladin buffs (particularly the OP Fire charge we now have) & other class changes that might have happened later, and some of the other areas like Shanghai & Nightmarket etc. (because if we're talking GMS-like, I'm pretty sure those were not there but I could be wrong), and even the Gachapon change is definitely not a GMS-like feature (though I do actually semi-enjoy the way it works here).

17. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    One thing I'll also say is that all the scrolls you get from PPQ are trash except 10% oa dex which is meh.

18. OP
    OP
    Library

Library Slimy

Nov 6, 2016
    Slave
    There's a thought we could work with; and actually, this should be thought about for all PQs, honestly... not saying we should give out a whole variety of OP scrolls but maybe PPQ could be set up in a way KPQ sort of it where individuals get rewards at the end (rather than the boss dropping a bunch) with better selection. Highly doubt the aforementioned would pass, yet I think it's food for thought to see if maybe the overall quality of scrolls was changed in PPQ to be useful (e.g. OA INT 60/70, GFA 60/70, etc. but not too keen on throwing in 30s into PQs except maybe like GPQ).