1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

New player influx & the gacha system - Discussion about the market

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xquzion, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xquzion

xquzion Capt. Latanica

Apr 5, 2015
    Male
    7:06 PM
    Sean
    Having played since server launch I have witnessed all gacha systems involved. Now im gonna talk about the latest one and the threat it poses to the server economy.

The current gacha system rewards players who actively play the game and grind; which is a good thing, the server rewards you for putting effort in actually playing it.

HOWEVER

the current system was implemented back when population was at around 150~200 people maybe even less. So you had a small flow of good scrolls from cash gacha and a small flow of good scrolls from hunting gacha which constituted a decent and affordable scroll market. With all the new players the new flow is abudance of good scrolls from hunting gacha and a decent flow from cash gacha.

This means huge scroll price drops since everything is abundant again, which by new players can be seen as a good thing since everything is affordable, on the other hand this will also mean that people will end up with good gear pretty early on. Prices will continue to plummet as new scrolls are gacha'd which is not a good thing IMO, it creates disturbance in a vollatile economic system.

If we assume that playerbase remains at 500~ steady and all these new people acquire the gears they want the average casual player will see his funds diminishing due to his merchandise not being sold which might lead to frustration.

Legends was meant to be hard. Current gacha system was implemented with the purpose to serve a playerbase no more than 200 people from which 60% or less were actively grinding and its making the current market a complete sellout.

everyone is currently happy with the stuff they get but im trying to project what a future economy might look like.

This is a discussion thread, feel free to share your input on the matter, I did not write this expecting or asking for changes.

I hope you all enjoy playing legends MapleF17

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. deribou

deribou Skelegon

Nov 17, 2015
    12:06 PM
    liesdotcom
    Marksman
  3. Taystee

Taystee Slime

Jul 15, 2015
    Male
    1:36 AM
    Taystee
    Brawler
    Hogwarts
    Would the increase in player base not only increase supply for scrolls due to cash/hunting tickets, but also increase demand as there will eventually be more people buying scrolls?

• Like Like x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    xquzion

xquzion Capt. Latanica

Apr 5, 2015
    Male
    Sean
    I assumed the playerbase will peak and remain at 500~ people, if royals gets fixed many will quit also. From the past years of playing, May is the month most players flock to legends with a good amount going inactive around September

5. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    10:06 AM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    There is absolutely nothing to worry about here.

More players are bringing in more gach items, but more players also means more demand. Prices are going down because all these new players don't have all the billions of mesos that have accrued over the two years the server has been running. It's only natural because the new players can't afford to pay the inflated prices for goods the old playerbase created. This is a good thing.

You say you've played the server since launch. Do you remember how the gach system initially was, where people actually had the chance to scroll good gear? That is, before the Great Gachapon Revamp which killed the economy. Funny thing is, I don't remember people complaining about how the gachapon system was too good. Rather, it was the opposite.

xquzionxquzion

https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/final-thread-about-this-the-sky-ski-issue.3310/

https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/gacha-tuning-v2.3168/

https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/gachapon-pots-pies-chance-reduced.4143/

Oh no! There's not enough sky skis! There's not enough good scrolls! There's too many pies and elixirs! This was back in the day when most gachapon items were pretty plentiful. It's pretty ironic to see you complaining how the gach system wasn't offering enough back then. We had people vote abusing just so they could gach more and there was rampant speculation about cheaters with the numbers of godly items floating around.

And yet now, after you've got a high level char and your fill of equipments, after suffering over a year of barren economy, after we finally get a gachapon system that seems to work, with a growing playerbase and a growing economy... you are worried it is too easy.

[​IMG]

...words can't describe this. Remember the past if you're going to flaunt around how long you've been on this server.

People complained that they couldn't find X or Y from gachapon because the mushroom shrine was too OP and everyone went there. So then that got nerfed. Everything was nerfed. For over a year the staff here piddled around with a broken system where many people simply didn't gach at all because they heard it was so bad and were waiting for the next "fix".

Eventually with a lot of trial and error, we have what we have now. It's still not perfect but at least there's some relation between time/effort spent playing and rare scrolls/items..

Please, stop trying to incite a panic or concern that there is something wrong with the current economy, unless you want to be responsible for ruining it again.

• Like Like x 7
  6. OP
    OP
    xquzion

xquzion Capt. Latanica

Apr 5, 2015
    Male
    Sean
    This is a discussion thread, feel free to share your input on the matter, I did not write this expecting or asking for changes. Guess you skipped part of the thread?

you could have written just that and it would be fine, there is no need to personally attack me since the 2 posts you linked already show that i was even then activelly participating in the servers economy (the 3rd one isnt even mine?). I merely wrote this thread to DISCUSS. Guess we will find out in some months, call me out then will ya?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    I couldn't have just left it at that. Because of course there would be people such as yourself who disagree, so I would have to elaborate and explain why there was nothing to worry about.

And the best argument I could come up with was pointing out that once upon a time (near server launch as you love to point out) you enjoyed a very similar market but were asking for more. Now, after we have a semblance of a good economy, you want less?

Well you wanted a discussion. Now we're having it. So why do you feel it's so important that legends be harder now? Coincidentally, when we're at a point when you are at the top and many many new players are at the bottom.

• Like Like x 2
  8. OP
    OP
    xquzion

xquzion Capt. Latanica

Apr 5, 2015
    Male
    Sean
    so u just assumed that im an elitist or something and i have some personal issue with new people making bank/good gear. Okay, I still dont see how it contributes to the discussion; I simply projected a possible market outcome with all these dirt cheap scrolls lying around.

You think this is a good economy? Right now for sure but what about in couple months? Im not gonna call you close minded but have you ever heard of oversaturation? Do you have any idea about the basis of how a simple market operates? My older posts were exactly in the dark gacha timeline you described, were nothing was gached and of course something needed to be done. As I said in the OP which i doubt you ever read, my original thought was that the current system could work splendid with the playerbase being around 200~ but it wont work with such high numbers and many people grinding/getting free ticks.

I dont have any issue with newcomers making bank/good gear as you implied, i just wanted to share my concerns from what i saw upon entering fm. Right now i couldnt ask for more from this system since i restocked all the scrolls i wasted the past year plus more. You can call me fearmonger if you want but i can guarantee you im not an elitist. Im simply allergic to bonobos.

9. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    And as I said, even though more newcomers are producing more scrolls and items, that also means there will be more demand.

So how prices are going to spiral out of control and we will hit an apocalypse? I'm sorry, but it just won't happen. Give the new players a chance to get up there in levels to that they can also make their mesos easier, and I'm sure prices will rise again.

10. OP
    OP
    xquzion

xquzion Capt. Latanica

Apr 5, 2015
    Male
    Sean
    okay i'll make it as simple as I can, when supply > demand , market -> saturated. Currently all fm rooms are filled with unsold scrolls. Hunting tickets were implemented to complement a stagnant economy of a playerbase MUCH smaller than the current active one and they take nothing out of a player like Nx gacha do.

I always had legends in my mind as the server where its super hard to get perfected gear, do you think its hard right now to make one if as an old player im sitting on a ton of funds? I was always interested on how markets operate so i wanted to discuss this possible outcome not saying it WILL happen and spread false rumors.

Perhaps I should be posting my death screenshots or counting to 10000 instead of trying to discuss on a public forum a legit concern of mine.

11. Piety

Piety (ㆆᴗㆆ)/ Retired Staff

Apr 4, 2017
    Centaur & Chaste
    I'll definitely have to agree with Lionheart there; I feel like the Gachapon is definitely fair as it is. Cash tickets gives you garbage like 95% of the time so there's no worry there, and Hunting Gach tickets are rare enough that people need to grind quite a while to get them (And even then, you get a high amount of junk scrolls from them).
    As I mentioned in the scroll price thread, the prices went down since there's a huge influx of new players with not much money that can't afford the prices set by the earlier players. High demand, high supply, but with prices that were way too high. Meanwhile, the demand for scrolled items is going back up since the new wave is hitting the higher levels (Myself included!).
    Prices are going to stabilize soon enough; they just won't be as high as they used to be, which is good.

White Scrolls are already going back up in price because the boom from the Anniversary Event is already dying out and most of the supply was bought out. I've seen like three yellow items in the FM since I've joined. Sure, you might be able to afford some more scrolls now if you've been sitting on a few billions, but prices aren't cheap enough that making yellow items is ''easy'' now unless you spam white scrolls.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Simple rebuttal: supply is NOT greater than demand. It's just that the party on the demand side has less mesos. Also, with 200 players we had about half the FM full of unsold scrolls and items. Now with 500 players, we have the full FM and then some full of unsold scrolls and items.

Is it prices crashing and oversaturation? Or maybe twice the number of players means twice the number of players trying to sell their stuff.

Can you really verify if everything is "unsold" in the FM anyway? We can see items that have been sold and are faded out, and what's more, it's very easy to remove those items and put more items up for sale. So technically every item in the FM is "unsold" until it is sold.

Please, show us some legit perfected gear. And I hope you have a lot of examples, seeing as our population exploded.

13. OP
    OP
    xquzion

xquzion Capt. Latanica

Apr 5, 2015
    Male
    Sean
    can you for the sake of the argument keep in your mind that im talking about a wide timeframe? I editted earlier where I switched yellow gear with perfected, my bad, so you are saying you havent seen any around? Of course you wont see them for sale in fm.

thats reassuring, I didnt take into account the fact there was an event going on and some of the "legendaries" were event jackpots. I came by to find chaos scrolls from 120m~ dropping to a whooping 45m. The same price reduction followed similarly on the normal scrolls with many dropping by 50-60% in price which triggered a thought. If im proven to be wrong around October i'll make sure to apologise for the unnecessary drama this whole thread might have caused.

14. Zeretius

Zeretius Windraider

Apr 5, 2015
    Male
    Ontario, Canada
    Zeretius
    Bowmaster
    Project
    Gach is fine. They did a great job with the system, this is how it should be. I can actually go to the market and buy a white scroll any day of the week. FeelsGoodMan.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    omg, any day of the week!? But that means perfect gear will be flooding the server!!!

Oh wait, it isn't...

16. OP
    OP
    xquzion

xquzion Capt. Latanica

Apr 5, 2015
    Male
    Sean
    do you enjoy shitposting much?

17. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff