1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

boost HP from scrolls

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by TheDude, Jul 2, 2016.

Yes or no, to this idea?

1. yes

71.4%
  2. no

28.6%
  1. OP
    OP
    TheDude

TheDude Selkie Jr.

Jun 13, 2016
    Male
    Canada, eh?
    1:53 AM
    Prometheus/1979/Starkiller
    so far im getting the feeling that a small majority (~60%) are 'yes' and (~10-20%) are 'no' with some % who arent in this conversation.
    i thought this was would be >99% 'yes'. but it seems like people who are in opposition seem to be saying 'no, because hp washing is better'. but what im trying to understand is 'why not?', its not like increasing hp from scrolls is gonna lead to the opposition suffering in anyway.
    its like drinking water normally, or with a bendy straw. people drinking water normally arent gonna spontaneously combust because someone was allowed to drink water with a bendy straw.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    10:53 PM
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    Personally, I've never washed any of my characters ever - partly because I never leveled fast enough to keep pace with what was expected, and I wanted to create my character the way I wanted and not the way someone told me I should. Nevertheless, my point was not to recommend some different way of working with what we have, but rather an argument for why the developers of the game were short-sighted and how to fix it. As it stands, Defense is a worthless stat and I don't even understand why it is even in the game. HP and MP are only as useful as they are necessary to accomplish a task faster (or at all, depending on what you want to do).

When I first started playing this game I saw endless possibilities. What I still hope to see (especially playing this server and how Neckson's MapleStory was turned into a streamline one-size-fits-all nightmare) is a game that makes useful any character you design. If you make a Paladin that's a one-handed shield-wielding blunt weapon user, then there should be specific bonuses that you can do that no other class, 2H-user, or sword-user, can do - and vice versa. If you decide to give your Assassin a lot of DEX instead of going DEXless, then there should be things your DEX sin can do that the DEXless sin cannot. I see so many scrolls for DEF, HP, and MP - and nobody wants them. Why would you want them? This game is all about offensive damage and rarely ever about defensive strategies. This game could be so much more than the linear trail of developing any character into the only way to make a powerhouse character that it leaves nothing to the imagination.

I don't have all the answers to how this could all work out, but if you can imagine it, then there should be a way to make it happen. As far as the 600-900hp gear, that gear would have to be very high level. If we had scrolls that delivered that, then we'd need level restrictions for what kind of equipment can be scrolled like that. I understand it is the player's responsibility to try to break the game and exploit its weaknesses to make an epic character, but its also the responsibility of the game-designer to give us endless possibilities. This is just my take on it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    2:53 PM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    I can't find any cons for this suggestion if buff has enough considerable %s and not being to much OP.
    ofc, some ppls can choose HP washing (and honestly, I do too.) for better dmg and others may choose HP scrolls for ez pz way but that can be left for their choice and

well, just think about this. you choosed ranged class cuz you felt luv on them in ur early days and just realized same lv mages and melees are going picnic into HT while you're getting worry for being ohko by that fat dragon. that should be frustrating experience. only difference is job/class. but you even don't have any chance to join regardless of ur dmg or range. what would you think. this is compeletely wrong-designed level for game. you may remember BB patch and no need to wash HP anymore after it. yeah, Neckson admited it was designed silly and awkward. some pros says "dude you should have to wash ur HP" but I don't think it should be treated as 'necessary thing'. anyway it's tricky bug trick and problem (yes, it's unfair, in my opinion) shouldn't be solved with such ways in general.

so I think about buffing *5 than now, is enough for HP scroll buff. as I remember 100% was +5, 60% was +10 and 10% was +50. if they get buff *5 than you can choice just spamming 100% or 60% to get enough HP for HT or trying hard with 10% so you can catch dmg+HP, saving slots to use watk scrolls, w/o washing.

some may think this opinion is not v62ish and ruin nostalgia but it's not nostalgia. it's just unfairness, pain should be fixed. and this is pserver, so we can fix it if we have enough talking about this, agreed on some conclusion. just like mage's ultimate dmg buff.

well who already finished their hardcore washing way may disagree on me and say "I did it. why you don't and seeking ez pz way?" I have nothing to say to them.

in short, i'm not positive nor negative for HP washing but definitely negative for washing treated as 'necessary' thing. it should be left as optional, alternative way, not general.

problem is gears already scrolled before and objects of who washed..? (but why against for..?)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 7
  4. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    7:53 AM
    Beginner
    I'm just gonna go ahead and necrobump this shit, seeing that it's a much better suggestion than anything else that's on the table.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    11:53 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Please people keep bumping this. There is another thread out there too. We need real staff consideration and discussion of this idea. Here's the constructive feedback you want KimberlyKimberly

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    1:53 PM
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    I like this. In my opinion, it offers a good solution to an age-old problem in maplestory through a way that

• Makes the problem much less daunting for new players to process
    • Respects prior struggles of veteran players
    • Is not wait2win
    • Probably won't upset the market too much (hp scrolls will gain some value)
    • Solves another age-old maple problem: asinine imbalance with scroll usefulness/value (just for hp scrolls, but still)
    The precise amount of hp each scroll adds will have to be intensely discussed, but I think it's a pretty good idea

• Like Like x 1
  7. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Which other thread?

8. OP
    OP
    TheDude

TheDude Selkie Jr.

Jun 13, 2016
    Male
    Canada, eh?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    11:53 PM
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    I think if we went went something like...

100% = +20 HP
    60% = +50 HP
    10% = +120 HP

That would be pretty good. We don't want to make it too easy, but we still want scrolls for HP viable.

A regular old cape scrolled with a 10% and 3 60% scrolls would be +270 HP. That's about average scrolling for people who put in effort.

If someone lands 3 30% and 2 60%, that's +460 HP.

The good news is there's also multiple gear slots that can be scrolled for HP, so if one piece of gear isn't enough, you can scroll another. Each piece of gear scrolled for HP means it's not scrolled for attack or your damage stat, however. So it means your DPS is reduced, but then at least you still survive and can deal damage on the run. That helps solve the age old problem of the "Dps classes" always outperforming everyone else... cause if they are using HP gear, their damage is reduced.

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    TheDude

TheDude Selkie Jr.

Jun 13, 2016
    Male
    Canada, eh?
    yeah the hp should be tweaked, i was just trying to get the ball rolling.
    and i didnt think about the idea of balancing out the dps. that is a very good point. and if any hardcore player wanted to maintain their dps, they could still just hp wash. so its a win-win, so why naut, like, just cum dance with us?

11. Jem

Jem Capt. Latanica

Jun 4, 2017
    Male
    Enter Galactic You and Me
    Kungfujemmy
    Ranger
    Prime
    I like the idea coming from someone who's Main is ranged but didn't have funds to start washing off the bat. I heard it's never too late but mixing the both seems like an even better solution

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    There is also defence scrolls that add HP. I guess these should be changed too, to give more HP.

13. Franco

Franco Wolfspider

May 25, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    2:53 AM
    Hotguy6pack/Enough
    Night Lord
    Project
    No. You would lose your +stats from top/bot/oa/cape/helm/w.e. else you would want to scroll with hp. You can have this be a thing if you want but not remove hp wash. Forcing every ranged attacker to scroll for hp would be VERY stupid.

Note, whoever wants to get hp from gear can go ahead, but don't force everyone else to do so as well. Scrolling all your shit for hp is stupid and would feel like shit as an attacker.

14. Sam_Vosh

Sam_Vosh Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Jan 24, 2015
    Female
    Somewhere over a fictional rainbow
    SamVosh
    Bowmaster
    Halcyon
    Who suggested it to replace HP washing?
    The reason for boosting HP scrolls is to give people the choice to HP wash at the cost of slowing down their lvling up.
    Or take the lower DPM later on without HP washing.
    Or somewhere in between.

15. Ed

Ed Mano

Jan 8, 2017
    Male
    10:53 PM
    WhollyCymbal, SpearheadEd
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Demure
    I think this idea is meant to be an alternative to washing, though. Of course this should not become the ONLY option; that would really hamstring attackers and make them unable to wear good equips or deal good damage. However, if it were still an option to wash vs. scrolling some of your gear for HP, I could see that working. You leave it up to the player as to whether they want to wear HP equips and sacrifice damage, or HP wash like usual and do more damage. I don't think there's anything terribly wrong about giving people the option.

16. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    Removing hp washing is not a part of OPs suggestion.
    Therefore nobody is being forced and your reply doesn't make sense.

17. Franco

Franco Wolfspider

May 25, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    Hotguy6pack/Enough
    Night Lord
    Project
    Which is why I've said that as long as you don't remove hp washing this suggestion is w.e. to me. But it comes from people who are in favor of removing hp wash and have posted about it a few times already, that is why I replied this way.
    Edit: the people who bumped it anyways.

18. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    So essentially we agree, this could be added as long as current hp washing stays? :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Franco

Franco Wolfspider

May 25, 2015
    Male
    Argentina
    Hotguy6pack/Enough
    Night Lord
    Project
    Yeah, I don't mind that being added that way, I just don't think it will solve the issue because people will always want damage. If you take this option and then see other people with 3k range more than you at the same level, you'll just feel bad.

Then again, who knows, maybe all these new players don't care at all about damage :p

20. Chew

Chew Headless Horseman

May 8, 2015
    Male
    Beginner
    I really want to do the math to prove the damage difference wouldn't be that big, since you can just scroll stuff like your hat.
    But I'm sitting on my cellphone in Furteventura with shitty wifi, so someone else will have to prove my point :)