1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

I can't tell if I'm working in a toxic environment. Advice?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Shrek, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Shrek

Shrek Capt. Latanica

Mar 30, 2015
    New Yawwwkkkkkk
    6:30 PM
    NurseJoy
    I've been working at an animal hospital for the past 2 years.
    I'm pretty much the lowest ranked there (Being the only assistant)
    I'm always the one to go get food, clean, etc.

I've been yelled at for the following :

-Going to get food for myself without telling one of my co-workers(She wanted food too, and when I refused to go back to do so, she told me not to come back to work.)

-Been told I could be easily replaced when my co-worker said I may need to stay for another shift, even though I had things I needed to do.

-Talked down to a LOT.

-Been told I'm spoiled just because I'm 25 & still living at home, and my parents are enablers for letting me live at home still. (90% of my friends my age, and older still live at home. NYC isn't exactly easy to live in.)

Living with negative parents who barely encourage me to pursue anything my whole life doesn't exactly help either.
    The first thing they say when I tell them what I want to do is point out the negatives.
    (i.e. when I wanted to study physiology the first thing my dad told me was "You know that takes 9 years, right? Rather than saying something like "That is good, you'd be great in that field!)

Maybe I'm making excuses for myself, It's honestly hard to tell at this point.
    I don't know why I care so much about what people think of me.

Anyway, I just needed to let off some steam, I've got a lot of stress on my mind as of lately; mostly with what I want to do in life, and the fact that I'm 25 & living at home makes me feel worse and worse about myself every day.

But yeah.. Any advice would be great.

2. xNivx

xNivx Headless Horseman

Apr 18, 2016
    Male
    Shin Sekai
    4:30 PM
    xNivx
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    First of all, I'd really recommend quitting your current job.
    But of course, find a good replacement first with good conditions and paychecks.
    Try to save up as much as you can for few months and rent a small apartment.
    And start growing from there.

I'm saving up rn to do so aswell.

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Shrek

Shrek Capt. Latanica

Mar 30, 2015
    New Yawwwkkkkkk
    NurseJoy
    It's honestly not as easy as you think it is.
    Rent here is close to 1200 a month for a small one bedroom, and they cut my hours so I barely work 12 hours a week.

4. xNivx

xNivx Headless Horseman

Apr 18, 2016
    Male
    Shin Sekai
    xNivx
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    Yea.. sounds harsh so it might not sound as easy..
    But you can find that really awesome job.

I'm doing barista for living and luckily my boss is really really friendly and he gives us tons of bonuses, although the job might be worth the extra dollars but yeah

There's always that one job that will keep you happy, just find it.

5. thugric

thugric Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

May 10, 2017
    Male
    TaxDog
    Marksman
    Beaters
    I know it's very frustrating when things don't go the way you want. My most important advice is to make sure that you put yourself in a situation where you have full control of your life.

In a career POV, you've been working at the animal hospital for over 2 years, at the age of 25 and being the lowest ranked there. I really hope that you've gotten a pay raise or some sort of thing. At that age, you should really aim on trying to get high skilled job, or a manager/supervisor position by the age of 30 so that you could get some of healthy income for the longterm. (It's not too late)

To fix your workplace situation, I don't know how your co-workers are, but this can be solved as easy as talking to them and letting them know that you didn't appreciate the way they spoke to you. It is possible that they were not aware of their rudeness. If you plan on doing this, just sure to send the message in a positive and light tone.

Moving out can be an option, I completely understand that yes it will be very hard for both you and your family both financially and emotionally. But this will 100% give you a lot more room for freedom. However if you do plan on moving out, make sure you have a solid plan.

6. Number32

Number32 Skelegon Retired Staff

Jul 3, 2015
    Male
    The Netherlands
    12:30 AM
    Smores
    Bishop
    Demure
    Kinda feeling neglected again

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. chrono721

chrono721 Red Snail

Jun 1, 2017
    Male
    New Jersey
    LexWar721
    Crusader
    Your situation sounds miserable to me. :( I'm sorry you have to work in that environment each day.

I know toooons of people who are still living with their parents at age 25. I lived with mine until 25; then I decided to go to school. These are different times. In NY especially, the rent is ridiculous and getting your own place just isn't worth the cost. Most complaints made about kids being "spoiled" or not "working hard enough" come from people who are much older and already have a secure job.

My advice is to try to break out of this environment. Try looking and applying for other jobs? If they require more degrees, maybe look into a Master's Program? Maybe think about moving to a different state (where rent isn't ridiculous)? I know this is much easier said than done, but the worst thing that could happen would be to lose motivation and goals for your future.

Hope this helps. I'm rooting for you!

8. TheDude

TheDude Selkie Jr.

Jun 13, 2016
    Male
    Canada, eh?
    Prometheus/1979/Starkiller
    fast track an nursing degree if you have the foundational sciences.
    not sure how youre father came to the conclusion physiologists needs 9 years of preparing? maybe hes referring to PhDs. but even then sciences arent worth it, because research is shite.
    the problem at youre work, should not be that unusual. considering job market is over-saturated, hence why youre replaceable. and because youre replaceable, you can be treated like shit. because you need the job; and people like to exert power over others, its a human thing
    im 23-24. just got my first job, and im going into a 6th year of undergrad... MapleF10
    but im in Canada, so yeah... and tuition just became free for poor people, so i got that going for me

9. Zeretius

Zeretius Windraider

Apr 5, 2015
    Male
    Ontario, Canada
    Zeretius
    Bowmaster
    Project
    Personally if i was in your position,

- if i knew i was working my ass off and still getting shit on by co-workers, call their bluff you can find a job elsewhere nobody needs that shit(keep in mind you need to differentiate whether they are talking shit cuz you're doing a shit job, or their just assholes in general)
    - living at home and saving money is probably the smartest idea, invest in a house and find renters or something.
    - go outside, playing maple wont help.
    [​IMG]

10. itsjayh96

itsjayh96 Orange Mushroom

Jun 16, 2017
    Female
    vast abysses of space and time
    1:30 AM
    HunnyBunny
    F/P Wizard
    Influence
    First, I'd like to say I'm really sorry that you're going through all of this. If I could give you one advice, it's this... NEVER settle for a job that makes you miserable and unhappy no matter how good the pay is. At the end of the day our happiness is what matters. Forcing yourself to wake up and go to a job that you hate every single day is very exhausting and you will eventually burn out. When it comes to your parents, not everyone is perfect. People these days are very negative so don't think too much about it. It's time to take matters into your own hands because no one else will help you if you don't help yourself. Do what makes you happy and stop worrying about what people think! You live with your parents?! So what?! Some people would kill to bring their parents back to life just to see them for one more day so I don't see that as a problem. Your colleagues are obviously bad people so don't even listen to them. As cliche as it may sound, it's never too late. Study what you want and get the job of your dream. Start looking after yourself and after your happiness. Imagine that tomorrow was your last day on earth.. would you be satisfied with the way you have been living your life so far?

I wish you all the best and I really hope you end up finding a much better job with nicer people :) have a nice day

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kyle

Kyle Capt. Latanica

Mar 30, 2015
    Male
    5:30 PM
    Paladin
    yes you are working in a toxic environment. find a new job with more hours and put in your 2 weeks

12. Taida

Taida Mixed Golem

May 30, 2017
    Female
    NYC
    Solstice
    First off, I'd follow Niv's advice of getting another job while before quitting your old one.

1. Victorian Gardens in CP is hiring for the summer(maybe longer) if you're interested in trying to apply. You can come in personally and ask for the hiring paperwork to help boost your chances.
    2. Otherwise, if your resume is lacking try to find volunteer work(museums, libraries, etc) to fill it up, or try getting hired at a tutoring place like KuMon, or a food service industry like Chipotle (there's no shame at working at one! Plus free food).
    3. When applying try not to be picky. You need a job if you're only working 12 hrs a week. Feel free to walk about busy areas of the city during your free-time looking for "We're hiring!" signs. New places opening up will also be hiring.

Second, being 25 and living at your parent's house still in NYC is normal, you already know that rent here is ridiculously high. There's no need to be ashamed. My older sister lived with us til she was 32.

Third, I think your parents are just using realism. It sucks but it helps to see the big picture before rushing off.
    You can also do a "trade job". Not completely sure how it works so you'll need to research it. But I think companies sometimes take people as apprentices and pay for their education if they work for them later on.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. OP
    OP
    Shrek

Shrek Capt. Latanica

Mar 30, 2015
    New Yawwwkkkkkk
    NurseJoy
    I really appreciate everyone's advice, I think I'm going to apply at this dog boarding place this weekend part time to start, if it goes well; I'll quit my job.
    Thanks guys.

14. OP
    OP
    Shrek

Shrek Capt. Latanica

Mar 30, 2015
    New Yawwwkkkkkk
    NurseJoy
    ?

15. Ghost.

Ghost. Nightshadow

Sep 12, 2015
    Male
    USA
    Ghost/Reclaimer
    Night Lord
    Project
    You could always see a therapist. They can help you make positive changes in your life and point you in the right direction.

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. thugric

thugric Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

May 10, 2017
    Male
    TaxDog
    Marksman
    Beaters
    This. A therapist can give professional advice

17. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    Yes your job sounds crappy and I wouldn't stick around. Job hop until you find the right one with the right peoople, no matter how long it takes.
    Don't blame yourself for living with your parents in NYC. That's pretty hard not to do.

I recommend you try a staffing agency. Or three. That way, if you don't like a job, you can just ask for another and another until yyou find the right one.

18. Lionheart

Lionheart Horntail

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Gotta catch em all...
    Lionheart
    F/P Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    If you really want to move out, you can check a website like craigslist. There's usually people with a bit of extra space who rent out a room, and you'll probably be sharing a bathroom and kitchen and whatever else. But it's not with your parents. Usually I find this option affordable, but the problem may be you are rolling the dice and don't know what kind of people you will end up with, even if you meet them for a while, you could always see another side of them that changes your perspective.

But on the other hand, if you don't mind or even like living with your parents, you may as well stay with them. Fuck those people calling you spoiled. You're absolutely correct when you say 90% of your friends are also staying with their parents as well. It's not "this generation" that is the problem, it's the messed up economy the older generation created, which is the problem.