1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The International world news thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shinohara, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Shinohara

Shinohara Headless Horseman

Mar 31, 2017
    Calderock Village
    1:25 PM
    Saratoga / Sogohara / Tsushima
    Bishop
    ☆ Aqours ☆
    (I'm pretty sure i have thought of this idea a dozen times before but never made one)

To keep the thread purpose simple, this thread is dedicated to the posting of any news around the world to inform others or discuss about it.

E.g. with major news such as the current storm and floodings in Texas and the recent typhoon in Hong Kong.
    (Hope everyone in the affected areas are okay!)

• Like Like x 1
  2. theKatia

theKatia Capt. Latanica

Apr 29, 2017
    Female
    7:25 AM
    Asteracea
    Bowmaster
    Funk
    It seems there's been a lot of natural catastrophes lately, I wonder why now? All these hurricanes "worst we've had in a century" and same with the earthquake in Mexico... and on the other side I'm not evern sure what to make of North Korea, but that's probably more bullshit than real threat just to generate fear.

3. Ryae

Ryae Wolfspider

Apr 17, 2015
    Female
    USA (West Coast)
    9:25 PM
    Ryae
    Night Lord
    Nimbus
    Lots of natural disasters this season--besides those mentioned already, Hurricane Irma is about to make a direct hit on Florida, Hurricane Jose is following close behind, and remnants of Kaita are hanging around Mexico near the gulf (shit coming from both sides since the tsunami/earthquake was on south end :/). It's also been a terrible monsoon season in Bangladesh/India/Nepal; last stat I heard was at least 1,200 have passed because of the flooding.
    Sorry I only know depressing news T_T I only follow severe weather for news bc it's my hobby ;;;

4. Heps

Heps Slimy

Feb 13, 2017
    Male
    5:25 AM
    Defender
    Can we focus on the real issue? On these refugees! DEI TOOK ER JABS! Comparing the hurricanes to this is just wow people.
    Hail Putin!

5. Qanu

Qanu Stone Golem

May 16, 2016
    Male
    Netherlands, EU
    6:25 AM
    HammerSlam
    White Knight
    GodDuckness
    Dude the saint Marten island in the Caribbean got obliterated during hurricane Irma and Jose is also gonna hit the island as well soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. merky

merky Mr. Anchor

Apr 13, 2016
    Male
    12:25 PM
    Crusader
    In other news, the Yemeni Civil War has been ongoing since 2015 and I don't think many people are aware of it.

News has a tendency to be Western-centric. I'm not pointing fingers, but hopefully this thread will help to bring our attention to what's happening in other parts of the world too.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Rasenganjedi

Rasenganjedi Slimy

Apr 13, 2016
    Male
    Netherlands
    6:25 AM
    Buccake
    Buccaneer
    Nebula
    We also had some Solar Flares recently, so that's fun.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    Shinohara

Mar 31, 2017
    Calderock Village
    Bishop
    ☆ Aqours ☆
    Seems that evacuation plans are now currently in works for Japanese citizens residing in south korea due to the interesting threat of a north korean missile launch.
    Along with more threats from north korea and Trump pushing for a naval blockade and embargo.

Although i do find Trump's calling to be worrying as it bears resemblance to the events that led up to the bombing of pearl harbor and declaration of war in 1941. :speechless:

9. OP
    OP
    Shinohara

Mar 31, 2017
    Calderock Village
    Bishop
    ☆ Aqours ☆
    There was an explosion in the London underground train about 90 minutes ago, hope all people affected by this is alright.

And it seems that storm Jose is set to regaining its hurricane status as its trajectory heads for the US east coast and capital.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Ryae

Ryae Wolfspider

Apr 17, 2015
    Female
    USA (West Coast)
    9:25 PM
    Ryae
    Night Lord
    Nimbus
    Ughhh I was banking on Jose finishing his little loopdeloop and blowing away into the atlantic lol. Was hoping the water temps in northern atlantic would be colder by now but they're pretty stagnant and toasty. Hard to say rainfall/winds at this point but waves/ripcurrent will definitely be a threat, so stay safe east coast friends! SlimePolice Go get your last beach day in now because it might be the last this season SlimeCry

11. merky

merky Mr. Anchor

Apr 13, 2016
    Male
    Crusader
    Floods in Niger, rural Wales, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, and the US. Stay safe, everyone.

And in response to North Korea's missile launches, South Korea has stated that that it has the firepower to destroy its northern neighbour beyond recovery.

12. Ghost.

Ghost. Nightshadow

Sep 12, 2015
    Male
    USA
    12:25 AM
    Ghost/Reclaimer
    Night Lord
    Project
    I heard President Trump gets 2 scoops of ice cream

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  13. OP
    OP
    Shinohara

Mar 31, 2017
    Calderock Village
    Bishop
    ☆ Aqours ☆
    Britain has moved their terror threat level to critical following the underground train explosion.

Typhoon Talim will be bringing heavy rain and strong winds to southwestern Japan as its trajectory moves closer to the island with a likely northeastern movement after.

North Korea : Kim Jong Un has stated that he wants to maintain 'military equilibrium' with US through his nuclear programme.

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  14. theKatia

theKatia Capt. Latanica

Apr 29, 2017
    Female
    Asteracea
    Bowmaster
    Funk
    Am I the only one who thinks they should do it already?
    Everyone's afraid of change meanwhile good job you guys, we just let an insane bastard get ahold of nukes. The guy who fed his uncle- the guy that mentored him and helped him up basically- to ravaged dogs. The guy who the only reason we were able to ignore was because he was powerless (read: didn't have nukes).
    We should have beat his face in before he had the opportunity to start a nuclear world war. smh
    I mean do you guys even realise that north korea is a worse humanitarian crisis than the holocaust was? It doesn't target one group of people but it's enough of a dystopia that the rich are the ones barely getting by.

15. merky

merky Mr. Anchor

Apr 13, 2016
    Male
    Crusader
    Disclaimer before I begin: this is just my personal opinion.

Methinks the North Korea problem is the way it is because nobody wants to be responsible for it. It's a backward country and it's going to be a major burden for anyone who happens to end up with it. I doubt the South wants to unify the peninsula because they're suddenly going to have an influx of poor and strange folk. Likewise for similar reasons China won't want to annex NK, and it's not as though they need another potentially problematic minority race to deal with (they already have Tibet and Xinjiang, and that's on top of their ongoing issues with Hong Kong and Taiwan). The US... there's absolutely no reason to be involved, especially since the Korean War was a proxy war which has already been won.

Everyone seems content with letting NK sit where it is, feeding it enough so it doesn't do dumb things out of sheer desperation, but starving it a little so it can't grow too strong.

Similarly, NK needs to put up its own show, be it to the world or to its own people. If it's too meek, it's gonna be bullied. But it can't be too aggressive either because it invites certain doom. It's gotta be toothless enough not to be a problem that every other country decides to prioritise, but it needs to be troublesome enough to have enough bargaining power. But now the situation seems to have tipped past the point of equilibrium and things are escalating. I'm honestly not sure how long this show will last until someone decides to make the first move, and I fear it's gonna be really ugly.

In other (old) news, Mars One is looking for volunteers to establish the first human colony on the red planet. I hope there's space for stowaways.

• Like Like x 2
  16. theKatia

theKatia Capt. Latanica

Apr 29, 2017
    Female
    Asteracea
    Bowmaster
    Funk
    Yeah, I agree totally. But it's just a bandaid that has to be ripped off. It can't continue like this.

Damn I do wish a lot of luck for the people going to Mars. They'll need to be hand-picked imo if we really want this shit to work. They'll be basically exiled at least a year's travel distance from what I understand (?) so good luck if they have to deal with any major issues amongst themselves on top of the survival in a tough new environment :bucktooth:
    Crazy though that we're starting on new planets before trying to colonise the oceans :whistling:

17. OP
    OP
    Shinohara

Mar 31, 2017
    Calderock Village
    Bishop
    ☆ Aqours ☆
    Tropical storm maria could follow in hurricane Irma's path in addition to the high likelihood of developing into a hurricane / category 2 storm by the end of Sunday.

18. merky

merky Mr. Anchor

Apr 13, 2016
    Male
    Crusader
    Despite starting from fifth position on the grid, Lewis Hamilton wins the Singapore Grand Prix after Sebastian Vettel, Max Verstappen and Kimi Raikkonen crashed into each other right at the very start of the race, giving Hamilton the miracle he needed to emerge victorious. If I'm not wrong, this was the first time the night race was held in rainy conditions.

19. OP
    OP
    Shinohara

Mar 31, 2017
    Calderock Village
    Bishop
    ☆ Aqours ☆
    Quite unfortunate for the latter three who lost their chance right at the start.

Only got news on North Korea at the moment.
    Apparently the United Nations have ran out of options on how they should contain the North Korean nuclear programmes.
    Ties between China and North Korea have been significantly strained due to the latter.
    Kuwait has decided to expel North Korea's ambassador and 4 diplomats.

20. TheDude

TheDude Selkie Jr.

Jun 13, 2016
    Male
    Canada, eh?
    12:25 AM
    Prometheus/1979/Starkiller
    the refugees took your job because youre still an idiot.
    let that sink in, refugees with unrecognised credentials took your job... that means you were working in industry that requires no education, and you didnt do anything about it.
    git smart stoopid
    OnionSmoking
    im just joking