1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Some insight into "old players" for the new generation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Unlucky, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unlucky

Unlucky Mr. Anchor

Aug 8, 2015
    Male
    Australia
    2:48 PM
    Unlucky / Babez
    Project
    Disclaimer: I'm not trying to start shit with the staff or anyone else. I'm genuinely trying to let people know how I feel, and I think I should be entitled to my opinion, however critical it may be.

I see a lot of talk on the forum about old players and most peoples lack of understanding as to why some of us are so vitriolic, cynical, and negative. I thought, perhaps, that I might be able to provide some insight into how that mindset and the behaviour that accompanies it came to be.

It's very difficult to explain or express 2-3 years of legends timeline, or rather it's a big job and a wall of text that most people wouldn't digest so I thought it might be best boiled down into an analogy or two.

Playing legends in the beginning was like joining the World Wildlife Fund and then watching it turn into British Petroleum. I think that's about the easiest I could boil it down to.

Maybe it was more like going to that trendy little undiscovered bar that you love before it gets popular and is overcrowded with wankers who don't understand why you don't like the place anymore. You wanted to see it succeed and do good business but now you couldn't give a shit because the owners are arseholes who changed the place to cater to the new crowd and you're banned from using the bathrooms for writing memes on the wall of the bathroom stalls. Also the bartenders spat in your drink far too many times and now they don't understand why you're giving them shitty yelp reviews.

Anyway, these are just my views and I don't speak for everyone, however, I'm pretty in touch with a sizeable portion of the old crowd and i think this is pretty spot on.

• Disagree x 13
    • Agree x 6
    • Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Great Work x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Creative x 1
  2. Awleh

Awleh Mr. Anchor

Apr 18, 2017
    Male
    Norway
    6:48 AM
    Awleh
    Chief Bandit, Shadower
    Demure
    You gave basically no legit reason. Anyways:

Most decent people would just appreciate the bar doing well and go to another bar they might like.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    This is my last message regarding all the old user stuff. Perhaps this will be that long post that I will link to from now on.

Anyway, I do understand old users are nostalgic for the old MapleLegends. There's changes for the good, and changes for the worse. To them, its mostly for the worse. Unfortunately for me almost all the changes are for the better. But I won't deny that some of my views when it comes to the server were changed over time, which also did lead to me accepting more things that people actually wanted in the server, unlike in 2015 where I wanted everything strictly to be GMS-like to even have Dragon roar stun you and other things that are questionable (no FM button, etc)

Its no question however but in 2015 I already wanted add regions like Shanghai and Thailand. This was done by myself in 2015, but couldn't get coded more than a year later for the quests, thus was postponed for over a year. Even MapleLegends closed beta already had ulu-city in the data, Ellin Forest, Magatia, and few other regions. Ulu however didn't got added much later, which is the biggest infamous map when it comes to 'Legends got so much easier', and I sort of understand.

However, what old players still are not willing to accept is the fact that they asked for this in 2015. People wanted ToT added, people wanted more high level content because they were sick and tired of being at Skelegon. Losj really, really pushed hard for ToT by posting images every notice.

There's still a few (GhostGhost especially) that wanted it 100% staying GMS-like, but you can't say that didn't apply to everyone in Legends. Not even in 2015, and not even all the high ranked players at the time.

But than the statement in the hall of fame topic came 'Kim just don't give a fuck about us 2015 users anymore' and well. The question is here will I focus on users that do nothing but accept that Legends has changed, insult my users non-stop by basically saying their effort is worthless because its much easier now, keep say how the server is easy to new users, and even get to point to say Legends is shit when new users come, whisper users stories which are twisted around, or will I focus on users genuinely enjoying the server, supporting the server, thank the staff for their support, and more?

Now you probably will think 'ok so the solution to this is to start asskiss the staff to get the attention'. And haha, no it really isn't. There's hundreds of users enjoying MapleLegends still, there's 4000+~ active users (active being logged in since x period), there's still countless friendships being made, and so on. My goal was always to provide an Old School MapleStory experience for users, and that is still going on. This is still an Old School MapleStory server, this is still a 2x/1x/1x server, this is still a challenging server. The only more challenging server being MapleGlobal/ToV right now still, and so on. Its easier than in 2015, and some of that is also due to more users = more items being made + more bishops (= cheaper leeching) but leeching was still an issue in vanilla v62. And I agree, leeching sucks. I think you saw my rant about leech in some random bishop ranting thread, and that actually still applies for me. I'd rather people just play than hang on a rope all day, but there's not much I can do about that now. I'd also rather washing not to exist, but once again this is an (awful) mistake Neckson made in Old School MapleStory that is applied here as well. And to me I still can't count 'waiting every 24 hours to vote and buy 1 AP reset' challenging. Its literally doing nothing (not even playing) but wasting your time. I am much more pleased people now playing the game to get easier access to AP resets, even though old users see this as 'as easy as ever'

Please do not dare to say I don't care about the server anymore. There's still a lot of work being done (currently working on another region coming soonTM), I still check on the server every night when I wake up just to check if all is fine. Just because you are not happy how Legends currently is doesn't mean that I don't care anymore.

Its just impossible to please this small amount of users that feel are more important than other. If any argument comes up all they get is 'YOU ARE A NEW PLAYER YOUR OPINION DON'T COUNT' and the cycle goes on and on for over a year now.

Legends moved, Legends grew, Legends now please 500~ users instead of 20~80. No, I didn't change things 'so I get more users or to be like Royals' or whatever argument comes up for excuses the server grew. No, we only did 1 ad last year which 1 ex-staff member saw as 'cheap advertising' are you serious? Is advertising a bad thing now? Something literally every company does to bring traffic? Just everything that get accomplished have an excuse behind it by the older folks. Zero appreciation, only whining and complaining. That's why I no longer care about SOME of the older people, which they see as 'me being an asshole now'

This will be edited here and there but I am done for now.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    • Like x 18
    • Agree x 8
    • Great Work x 4
    • Friendly x 4
    • Informative x 1
  4. Hyoon

Hyoon Zakum Retired Staff

Dec 1, 2015
    12:48 AM
    Few things,
    • You seem to generalize "old players" as a group but it's more or less a certain clique than all the old players.
    • I don't understand how "negativity" and such behavior benefits anything, especially since you wanted the server to succeed.
    • Change is innevitable, and not all players may agree og and new. Why must the voices of og players outweigh the ones of the other players? Change is impossible to cater everyones needs, the latter need to just embrace it and suck it up.
    • I've had the opportunity to see the comments from both sides of the spectrum. It wasn't like the staff just bury the comments and concerns of the og players, because i do admit at times the discussions are very insightful. It's when the majority of the comments are arrogant, irrelevant and spammed that the comments of og players lose value.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Sarina

Sarina Brown Teddy

Feb 28, 2018
    Female
    Sarina
    The Old Crowd you speak of, sounds to be like a bunch of elitists.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. Syncrinity

Syncrinity Mushmom

Mar 19, 2018
    Male
    Invalidate
    Cleric
    Circus
    As a new player, I've loved every minute that I've spent playing legends. I can see how often Kim logs in the check on everything, it's very visible how much she cares about this server. I understand where you're coming from, but it's important to note that the staff will always try to please the largest amount of people. Things will change over time, but those changes aren't for bad reasons.

I can't speak for what legends was like before or how the old players feel now, I just know this server has an incredible community. I know the decisions being made are done to overall benefit as many people as possible. As a player, I couldn't ask for a better place to enjoy maplestory.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Gang

Gang Timer

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Gang
    Night Lord
    Demure
    I never belonged to the old school elite or whatever it's called, but I've been around on and off since 2015 and I'd like to express my opinion on this.

The server has certainly changed a lot over the years for better or worse. Personally I'm a big fan of new updates and would hate a stale 0.62 no new content style of server. One of the nostalgic feelings I have for Maplestory was the excitement of a new patch coming out the next day, thinking about how it will change things. And to be honest I think most people feel like this, and I doubt the server would be as popular as it is right now without any new content ever being added.

I don't like it when new content completely overpowers the old content, making it irrelevant and a dead place. Ulu city and ToT are certainly good training spots, don't get me wrong, but has it completely disregarded skeles as a amazing grind spot? Not by a long shot, and it's still regarded as the best or at least a top 2 training spot for the most played class in the game. So did the new content release really make the game that much easier? Well, maybe for certain arch mages. But to be honest they have it rough enough as it is being completely outclassed by their holy brothers from Ellinia in almost every aspect, let them have some fun.

So let's talk about the things that actually made the game easier.

Player population

More players means more resources, more bishops that are selling leech and more effective partying for daily boss runs. It also means that there are more people buying vote gachapon and getting hunting gachapon tickets that create more items from the legendary tier, which has been nerfed recently, but with the many legendary items being put in the game with this system in 2017 I feel like it should be mentioned.

Time

Back in 2015 there was no previous generation that created godly items to borrow, buy or be gifted from. Everything had to be created from scratch, and with not that many people around, scrolls that are gachapon locked were quite rare and expensive. Also certain equipment and skill books that came from high level bosses were not around or barely around for a long time, such as mw20 and gen 30 for example. This certainly made things a lot harder. But with time passing it is to be expected that these items become more available. Players that went through the times when they weren't had the opportunity to sell these items while there were barely any or none at all on the market, making them huge profits in return.
    In summary, time itself changes things, especially if more players join the server. It's only natural certain items, equipment and skillbooks are easier to get now, and it's not because of bad content release.

Onyx apples

If you wanna talk about a release that did make the game a bit easier, it's gotta be onyx apples. It speeds up bossing for sure. I think it's fair to question the release of this massive power boosting item. However, it is rough to estimate by how much this made the game easier. 40 more weapon attack then the previously used heartstoppers is certainly important but would other guilds really fail to do horntail without that 40 extra weapon attack? In my opinion, while it still makes a difference in all runs, I don't think it would stop most squads from killing it.

AP resets

Imagine a royal world in which every ranged class jumps around with 15k+ hp clean. That would be fun right? No

Let's face it, HP washing sucks. It's a shit system. Sadly, it has to be either very hard or very time consuming to do so. Why you ask?

Is it just because all the old players whine about the fact that they went through the time and hassle to do it? These selfish basterds!

Plot twist!

This is not the actual reason why they want it to stay this time consuming to do it. People will not wash faster if AP resets become cheaper or easier to get in general, no, instead they will wash a lot more. This means most people will end up with more HP, which makes the game so much easier. Maplestory is already a game that is pretty easy to play, most things are just very time consuming. What you don't want to do is make it even easier then it already is. We might as well make everyone immortal at that point.

But yeah, the events that have taken place made AP resets in general easier to obtain I guess, which is why I mention it in this list. I think the staff has made the right steps towards a 'balanced' type of AP reset event, because in general they have been very hard to obtain or in a limited supply kind of way.

Sadly however, HP wash will never have a good type of 'balance' no matter what you do.

Final thoughts

In summary, the game has become a bit easier. But most of it is not because the staff team decided to make it that way. Player population and time are mostly out of their control.
    This does not mean the staff hasn't made mistakes along the 3 year journey.
    I'm not going to bother naming specific cases, as most are very opinion based and if I have a strong opinion about something, I'll always express that in the forum topic that discusses it. But it is to be expected I guess. ML is not a big company with a paid team behind them. They have no obligation to anyone to be perfect, everything is free for everyone.
    I'm going to continue to criticize things I disagree with and cheer for the things I agree with in terms of releases or anything regarding to the server, and so should you all. But spamming around creating no reasonable discussion or making points that have been discussed over and over again are not going to get anyone anywhere.

At least that's my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. Hyuga

Hyuga Mr. Anchor

Apr 23, 2015
    Female
    5:48 AM
    Proud leader of Aeon
    As an "OG" that hasn't been around all the time since the beginning, i missed quite a lot of drama between the staff and OG players; a few cases which were handled extremely poorly by the staff at the time was what started this tension between OGs and staff arised in the first place. The poor decision making by staff has time and time again somehow screwed over OG players in 1 way or another, and although the intention was most likely for the better interest of the server, lack of consideration to the "victimized" players has been clear.

However, i do feel the OG players have a sense of self entitlement (myself included as much as i don't like to admit it), where we at least expect not to be continuously screwed over by decisions that are catered for players that joined 1 week ago or expect the staff to somehow maintain the server how we want it.....and i'm not attempting to sound sarcastic but sometimes we just got to deal with the shit that's been handed out and just move on. The staff are not paid workers, hired to run this server; it is ultimately just a fan service that MANY players have taken for granted. Demanding this and that and berating the staff whenever they make a dumb decision won't change the fact that the staff are not paid workers required to do any of the shit that is demanded or expected.

^ If disagreeable decisions are made time and time again and the staff feel 0 obligation to consider then it's literally just time to move on. Staying around throwing shit at each other on forums or w/e isn't going to make anything better anyway.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. merky

merky Mr. Anchor

Apr 13, 2016
    Male
    12:48 PM
    Crusader
    I’m not old enough to be part of the old crowd, but I believe I know where Unlucky is coming from. I was an old player on some other games previously, and the analogy of the trendy little bar is something that resonates very strongly with me. I’m not afraid to admit that, for one particular game, I was one of the angry crusading veterans.

But that was a different case. Back then the developers were blithering idiots who didn’t listen to the players (both old veterans and new blood alike). They took the game in a direction they wanted. Some changes were good. Others left us feeling deceived and cheated. Many old players left. Some new players got fed up too. There were those who stayed on, of course, and they accept the game for what it eventually became.

Some felt that us players deserved better, some believed “the developers had the right to screw their game up” and that we were free to quit if we didn’t like the way the game was going. Needless to say most of us in the former camp were veterans, the old guard who saw potential in this random game that was still in beta. We were the ones who invested time (and, for quite a few of us, money) to provide our feedback and game data for the game to grow and develop. We endured shitty game mechanics to see the game become something wonderful. We were the ones who know everything about the game inside out: the stats and number-crunching, the blatant exploits and cheap tricks. Surely we, the veterans, the ones who know the game better than the developers, deserve to be heard and respected?

(See where this is going?)

Unfortunately that’s not how things work. Not in that game, and definitely not here. In hindsight, the developers were not wrong in pursuing what they wanted. It’s their brainchild, their baby, and 900 hours of gaming—heck, no amount of time spent in-game would make my opinion matter more than the newbies’. If I didn’t like the game, I was free to quit, which I eventually did.

Back to Legends... nobody’s forcing us to play on Kim’s server. No server is perfect, but over here, there’s open communication between the Legends team and us players. The team isn’t afraid to admit that they made mistakes, and they discuss the future of the server with us. Granted, not every decision made by the team sat well with all of us, but they made what they believed was the best decision for the whole server. And if we who are invested in Legends want to see this server succeed, then we should all work together to make this server an enjoyable place for all players, old and new.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mouse

Mouse Brown Teddy

Jul 15, 2017
    Female
    Canada
    10:48 PM
    Mouse
    F/P Wizard, Assassin
    this is gonna sound cliche, and probably rude af (i don't intend for it to be rude at all; in content nor in tone), but if you go outside and smell some roses, you can probably see that it ain't actually that big of a deal tbh

to be bitter over the direction a game is going is just not v cool to yourself. it's totally fine to have opinions and to voice them, but if you are actually developing negative feelings over it... well, that just shouldn't be your jam, son.

it's nice that you're passionate about legends, even if it's in a way that could easily steer you towards the darker side of that passion (because this game really is the shit, flaws and all), but try not to let it get to ya

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Sam_Vosh

Sam_Vosh Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Jan 24, 2015
    Female
    Somewhere over a fictional rainbow
    SamVosh
    Bowmaster
    Halcyon
    As an OG of the very first order (ML Beta player here). The changes to MapleLegends have been somewhat of a mixed bag. But all of them have served a purpose for one thing or another. Make Mushroom shrine less overpowered. Make Scrolls more available. Adding more end game content for those who blitzed through to the end. Make HP washing less of a pain. Add more quests.

In my opinion, despite the mixed bag of added content. The general change has been for the better. Not to screw over the old players. But to make it more of a welcoming but challenging experience. I like the few skill balances which have been made, even tho it's not GMS v.62 like. I like the addition of hunting gachapon tickets, even tho it made getting scrolls easier. I like the addition of Ulu, even tho it made grinding easier.
    There's more choice. End game isn't stale anymore. Even tho I have done everything I wanted to do in MapleLegends. I will stick around to see what's changed more.

Another note; 'we' of the old guard OG did have a say in quite a few changes. The staff often may not have followed what we specifically wanted. But they listened to us. While those who 'started a week ago' won't have that priviledge.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. chibisannub

chibisannub King Slime

Aug 1, 2017
    Male
    indubitably, MlKE, PenIsland, cumcum
    Unworthy
    when deciding to join MapleLegends, one of the first things i did was go to the forums to see what the community was like, features, criticisms, discussions, so forth. and the most glaring thing i noticed immediately was a bunch of lv 200 and high level players constantly attacking new changes or bitching and moaning towards others. it left a really sour taste in my mouth before i actually started playing and realized that this game does have a truly great community of players.

but some of you guys honestly hurt the product with this incessant entitled complaining. truly, what were you expecting to gain out of making this post? throwing petty analogies out isn't going to have anyone in your favors. how is anyone going to resonate with this pettiness? at some point you gotta move on. you arent garnering any sympathy or respect from the vast majority of people with posts like this

• Agree Agree x 13
  13. Zoolander

Zoolander Slime

Feb 18, 2018
    Male
    11:48 PM
    Zoolander
    Bowman
    I think we all know why ML is awesome. No hackers. If there is.... I haven't seen one yet anyways, and that to me is a huge plus. I wouldn't care how good the content is, if there are players hacking why even try. IMO.

14. Awleh

Awleh Mr. Anchor

Apr 18, 2017
    Male
    Norway
    Awleh
    Chief Bandit, Shadower
    Demure
    Hackers is kinda nostalgic tho. GMs plz allow hackzz

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. SSJBroly

SSJBroly Blue Snail

May 6, 2017
    Male
    It is what it is my guy.

16. Dvah

Dvah Pac Pinky

Mar 21, 2018
    Male
    Africa I guess
    7:48 AM
    Dvah
    Dark Knight
    UpperLeveL
    New player? I played in 2008 wut the matter if it’s diff server,anyway see you in ms2

17. TheDude

TheDude Selkie Jr.

Jun 13, 2016
    Male
    Canada, eh?
    Prometheus/1979/Starkiller
    anyone else member the ap reset cost reduction debacle, and when they said 'were not complaining about it being unfair', and that 'hp washing is rewarding and nostalgic, hence it should remain hard for people to do'. but then they eventually complained about their time being wasted and that they are not being compensated i.e. its not fair...
    i loled

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    12:48 PM
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    Insight my ass.

Anyway when I joined the server the fact that staff routinely appeared in game, were easily contactable and had a strict anti-cheating policy were all huge, huge boons in the server's favor. In MapleSEA 2007-2010 when I played GMs were a myth, hackers were rampant and you think anyone asked for your opinion on how the game should change? Fuck you, big bang patch is coming better get your anus ready.

It was enough evidence for me that staff cared and the group of older players who are so adamant on criticizing them are exaggerating big time. Nowadays all you're reduced to are memes and passive-aggression on the forums.i specifically remember last summer when some guy named Aero made a super paggro post, pretty much rallying a witchhunt against kim while calling it "constructive criticism". Boy am I glad I never had to play with such folk.

Thankfully, most of the new players who allegedly ruined this server have made it really fun to hang out in. Peace out.

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. OP
    OP
    Unlucky

Unlucky Mr. Anchor

Aug 8, 2015
    Male
    Australia
    2:48 PM
    Unlucky / Babez
    Project
    [​IMG]

And the boys tried to tell me I didn't disguise this shitpost well enough. TBH I was kinda worried too.
    Can't believe this was left up and even staff replied to it. 2ez

20. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    [​IMG]

This thread is done than. Glad I could use your "shitpost" -giggles hard IRL- as my final message to some of the very important OG elitists.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    • Funny x 10
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Great Work x 1
    • Useful x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.