1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Formal Proposal] Quester's Ring

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Skuire, Apr 30, 2020.

Do you support this proposal?

1. Yes

500 vote(s)
    82.9%
  2. Yes, but needs changes (specify in thread)

84 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. No

19 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. OP
    OP
    Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    4:54 PM
    Skucci
    Shadower
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let's throw together a rough estimate of the amount of missable quests. Keep in mind that a quest "completion" is counted every time you turn in a quest to an NPC. Multi-part quests will count for multiple completions.

The important question is: if you missed every possible quest, would you still be able to reach 900 completions?

MISSABLES (rough estimate)
    • 37(?) quests on Maple Island
    • 4 job training quests
    • 5 from PPQ
    • 3 from MPQ
    • 2 from OPQ
    • <=30 random missables from assorted questlines (including 'lost item' bits)
    TOTAL: 81 missables (est)

Using my own character as an estimate, here's what we end up with:
    (969 completed) - (81 missable) - (17 event quests) + (at least 54 available) = at least 925 completions

So even if you were clumsy enough to miss every possible quest, you'd still be able to reach the 900 mark. I know the system is not perfect, but it works.

It's not like this game is a PvP competition. When MB ring came out, there were plenty of high level players. Those players could leverage their superior power to hunt cards faster. No one complained.

The rare perma-beginner already chooses to limit himself severely by playing without a job. Is it unfair that he will never be able to fight Horntail effectively?

• Agree Agree x 15
  2. halfwaysleet

halfwaysleet Master Chronos

May 21, 2018
    Male
    7:54 PM
    halfway
    Thief
    It's not a matter of whether you can reach that amount of quests, I'm just arguing that it would be unfair for the players that did not focus on quests early on in the game. Quests give exp rewards which are great for lower level players; people who chose the grinding route instead would be at a significant disadvantage since they'd have to do all those quests that they opted out of that will not provide them with good exp for their current levels.

Monster book ring doesn't seem to be significantly unfair considering that all players started at a even playing field; you could not collect cards before it was implemented.
    In regards to the quest ring, people would not start at a even playing field since people who started the game focusing on completing quests would be at a significant advantage.
    Of course some classes are capable of farming mobs faster than others, however that's something the player took into consideration upon making his character.

I'm not arguing that the quest ring idea is a bad idea per say, just seems like the pros and cons and potential alternatives should be considered.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    3:54 PM
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    I missed nearly every single missable quest and still got over 1k. I think there is just slightly more than 1k non-class, non-missable quests. Plus older players actually have an advantage because they have more past even quests available to them. I think those roughly cancel the old/new player advantage.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. halfwaysleet

halfwaysleet Master Chronos

May 21, 2018
    Male
    7:54 PM
    halfway
    Thief
    Taking into account the time and complexity of implementing this mechanic in contrast to the benefits it would provide, seems like this could be worth it if it was carefully balanced. The developers have to focus on several fixes on their to do list and on future content updates but, seems like having another hp washing alternative as a permanent feature, as slight as it may be, could make a significant difference for a lot of people. Not to mention it could serve as a differentiating factor from servers competing with legends and attract new players.
    Seems to me like the payoff is pretty good, even though some people could find it custom or unbalanced. Hopefully more people chime in and give their feedback on what stats it could give.

5. SaviorSword

SaviorSword Dark Stone Golem

Feb 9, 2020
    Male
    Aiur
    5:54 PM
    SaviorSword
    Paladin
    Bonfire
    Are custom content that taboo for a server's health to warrant mentionin' it?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    12:54 AM
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    okay so are we getting custom quest ring pendant?

edit : ilu sku my [​IMG]

7. cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    6:54 AM
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    estimate timing for this is 2025

8. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    6:54 AM
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    I don't see how it would be "unfair" for characters who have already done quests before. If someone already has 900 quests done, then let them get the ring automatically (it's not even that big a boost, if what we're proposing here is to be implemented), because you know how much effort and grinding is needed to do those quests in the first place? Furthermore anyone can start working down their quest lists right now, there is nothing stopping them.

The potential advantages are amazing - imagine R> quest party smegas where players get together in oft-neglected areas of the maple world like deep ludi, kft, omega sector, ant tunnel dungeon and orbis for a round of questing. So much opportunity from a social point of view. Not to mention having another goal for players to achieve can lengthen an experienced player's interest in the game while also providing additional fun stuff to do when you're burnt out from grinding or bossing.

The only potential con I can foresee is that a new piece of nice equipment for all to have may contribute to power creep. But I don't consider that a major concern in this PvE game anyway

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    12:54 AM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Cool idea but I don't see it happening.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. orbus

orbus Red Snail

Mar 16, 2020
    Page
    Funny enough this would also unintentionally get people further along on the monster book ring and supply tons of scrolls.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. SaviorSword

SaviorSword Dark Stone Golem

Feb 9, 2020
    Male
    Aiur
    5:54 PM
    SaviorSword
    Paladin
    Bonfire
    Are there any progress on what each tier would look like? We have the NPC concepts and revision, what about the reward?

12. OP
    OP
    Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    Skucci
    Shadower
    That's the most most exciting part, isn't it? No progress at the moment, but I'll be tinkering around. Any ideas are welcome too. SlimeSmile
    though if i do end up spriting out multiple tiers, i'll probably keep the majority of them secret!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. theKatia

theKatia Capt. Latanica

Apr 29, 2017
    Female
    1:54 AM
    Asteracea
    Bowmaster
    Funk
    bronze1.png
    Prototype for Tier1 (the ring part would just be the same as MB)
    Same idea for the other tiers with the plates. (I can make them if people want that)
    This is basic, maybe someone who is an actual artist can make a polished version of this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    What if you had to complete some etc collection quest to upgrade the ring, like those useless boss etc.

15. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    Also another consideration is how easy it will be to "pay" for 900 quest completions and how that might affect the economy. On average every tier of the quest ring is 90 quests for ~75-100 wdef/mdef, which is about 50 hp. Currently monster book cards are being sold for 500k/card, or 2.5m per difficult set, and every tier gets you ~100 hp.

Currently, the main quest etcs commonly sold are the cursed dolls, NLC quests (lucky charms, soiled rags), Ellin Ring (kargo eye, etc), and NT (kacchuu fragment, toad oil, eru guns). Cursed dolls, kargo eyes, eru guns commonly sell for around 10-15k per. We can use this as a baseline for other hard etc heavy quests.

This would make most quests that require 100+ etcs to cost 1-3m, which seems reasonable. I don't think this ring could be easily bought. Might take 300-500m+ to do so, and still a boatload of walking time.

This would also give new players a lot more avenues to make money for their zhelm and train in fun places early (shanghai, ximending, orbis, aqua road).

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. geospiza

geospiza Web Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Apr 16, 2020
    geospiza
    Dark Knight
    Funk
    +1 for sadistic fetch quests. Custom gating quests for each tier could be "fun" for old players and new players alike.

I've been a fan of the Quester's Ring since the beginning of the thread. I wanted to share some hard (er, somewhat fuzzy) data on quests themselves. Here's a compiled list of all of the quests in the library with references to hidden-street on their level requirements. We can use this to visualize the level requirements for warriors without event quests and missing Thailand/Taiwan data.

upload_2020-10-10_17-50-17.png

This shows the number of available quests for each level range. For example, there are ~150 quests that require being between level 50 and 60. Here's the cumulative view of that plot.

upload_2020-10-10_17-53-26.png
    [link to plot source]

A majority of the quests are available before level 50 (~550). Afterwards, quests start to become rarer and rarer. That being said, 90 quests every 10 levels starting from 2nd job is seems reasonable. I had about 700 quests by the time I hit 4th job, but a questing ring might have encouraged me to complete a few more quests along the way.

I have confidence that MapleLegends could execute this well based on other custom content like the Monster Book Ring and the Anniversary/Summer event. Here's to hoping that this idea is given some consideration.

• Great Work Great Work x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    I don't know why people are disliking your posts, beginner classes won't be able to do quests like Mr.Wetbottom's secret book and a lot more than just that one (its the only one that I know of theres a lot more I'm sure.)

18. OP
    OP
    Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    Skucci
    Shadower
    Yea this is a QoL thing that could stand to get changed. Neckson randomly decided that beginners shouldn't be able to do a lot of quests.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. RawSausage

RawSausage Red Snail

Nov 2, 2019
    Male
    1:54 AM
    Day 5762: Still waiting for any staff member to reply. :3

20. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    The job-specific quests are not a valid argument, as every job has a relatively equal number of job-specific quests. I think the Pirates are the only class that have 1 fewer.

Your argument on the Beginners, however, is likely valid. I'm basing this on memory from GMS, so I don't know if it's still true for MapleLegends, but Beginners were prevented from starting many quests. If this has been recoded by the GMs so that Beginners have access to all quests, then this issue is covered.

Also keep in mind that a lot of characters will never have true quest completion because every event since the time the server went online were once available and then made no longer available at the end of that event. As long as new events are introduced, you can continue to increase the number of quests completed.