1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Increase duration of meso guard for Shads

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by buffyfluffy, Dec 20, 2020.

1. buffyfluffy

buffyfluffy Orange Mushroom

Jun 25, 2017
    Male
    8:12 PM
    Beginner
    I would like to suggest an increase in the buff duration of meso guard.

Similar to magic guard for mages, meso guard is a crucial skill for Shads. Currently, max meso guard lasts for 120 seconds (same as the duration of holy symbol), which is really short and kind of annoying to have to keep rebuffing. In comparison, magic guard for mages last for 600 seconds.

Thus, I would suggest a buff in the duration of meso guard to increase the quality of play for shads. It does not have to be buffed till the extent of magic guard of course, just maybe till 300 seconds or so. This would "buff" Shads but not exactly in a tangible way in terms of damage.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. IHearColors

IHearColors Timer

Jul 1, 2017
    Male
    5:12 AM
    Shadower, I/L Arch Mage, Bandit
    The only justification I can see for the difference in duration between meso guard and magic guard is that mages practically require it for survival. While magic guard reduces damage to 1/5, as opposed to meso guard's 1/2 damage, it uses up the limited amount of mp you can have and not potting puts you in danger of dying. This isn't really a concern with meso guard as you'll likely never run out of meso. With this and shads technically not needing meso guard for survival in many situations, I see meso guard not requiring as long of a duration.

I think 300 seconds would still be too much. 200 seconds would be perfect as it matches up the duration of your other skills. This would benefit those who want to optimize grinding or bossing without making the skill needlessly long.

3. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    2:12 PM
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    I'd be rebuffing it with booster and haste anyhow, so 200 seconds would be perfect. My shad has died more often than I want to admit due to the short ass duration of meso guard.

4. OP
    OP
    buffyfluffy

buffyfluffy Orange Mushroom

Jun 25, 2017
    Male
    8:12 PM
    Beginner
    yup definitely, 200 seconds would be perfectly reasonable since it'll be same as our dagger booster and haste. Having it as the same duration as holy symbol is really annoyingly short for such an important skill

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. kfirzz

kfirzz Mano

Jan 31, 2019
    Male
    3:12 PM
    kfirzz
    KEKW

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Tate

Tate Capt. Latanica

Apr 16, 2020
    New Zealand
    12:12 AM
    Potayto
    Shadower
    Beaters
    keen

7. jesscapades

jesscapades Pac Pinky

Jun 24, 2019
    Female
    8:12 AM
    jesscapades
    Shadower
    Homies
    Meso guard lines up with HS, so is not a useful change imo and it promotes a thinking of “let’s change every single little thing about this game that might be slightly inconvenient to some people”.

Personally, I like the minimal challenge of keeping meso guard up every 2 min.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. ShadowRealm

ShadowRealm Chronos

Jun 18, 2018
    Shadower
    I feel like its a great QoL change. I actually liked the idea of 240 seconds meso guard so you can finally put meso guard in your skill macro alongside booster/have and not having to meso guard alone.
    Even if booster/haste run out, there is still ~40 seconds left after 200 seconds to cast meso guard if the person forgets to cast.

9. Blu301

Blu301 Pac Pinky

May 20, 2019
    Male
    East Coast, USA
    Blu301
    Shadower
    Summer
    I disagree with this personally, but I felt the same way about taunt no longer doing noticeable damage reduction so maybe I'm just averse to change. Meso Guard is not always recognized as such, but it's one of the best self buffs in the entire game. I've always felt a short duration was fair.

As you continue playing the class and bossing, you'll get better at keeping meso guard up instinctively so it never runs out. And its cast time is very short, you can cast it during the various downtimes during bossing (weapon cancel, damage reflect, even as you jump forward to get back in position after a knockback)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. aaronis

aaronis Slimy

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Shadower
    Beaters
    can we go farther and make it a passive so we never have to use it and it’ll never be dispelled, that would be omega pogchamp

11. ShadowRealm

ShadowRealm Chronos

Jun 18, 2018
    Shadower
    Thats not enough, we should just combine meso guard and shield mastery into one skill as a big passive Then shads can have shadow partner or flash jump to fill in meso guard. that would be hyperpoggers.

12. NecksonBad

NecksonBad Slime

Nov 12, 2020
    San Andreas
    CarnivalPQ
    Meso Guard duration increase would definitely be a quality of life upgrade for shads. For the duration increase to happen, Power Guard should also have its duration increased for balancing. They are both at 120 seconds.

I just find it annoying how maple has short buff durations, even when there's no cooldown for those skills, while other MMORPGs like WoW have 30 minute buffs.