1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing crashes with 'Unknown Error'? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Thief Blu's Full Guide For Shadowers

Discussion in 'Jobs' started by Blu301, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Blu301

Blu301 Slime

May 20, 2019
    Male
    3:40 AM
    Blu301
    Shadower
    Familia
    ~ Blu's Full Guide For Shadowers ~

xx rip APQ specs.png
    (Updated 11/4/2019)

Table of Contents

1. Intro droolmush
    2. AP Builds :star:
    3. SP Builds :pinkbean:
    4. HP & Washing MapleF3
    5. Training + Meso Exploding SlimeGrin
    6. Money Making :sack:
    7. 4th Job Equipment :picopico:
    8. Attack Combinations MapleF9
    9. Conclusion sleepymush

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Intro droolmush

Hi y’all, I’m Tim/Blu (ign Blu301/Blu996) MapleF2 I’ve been playing Maple Legends for about 6 months and in that time have gotten my shad to lvl 180+. I love this game and the community we have here so I think it’s about time I’ve made a contribution that can hopefully be of service to people.

This is an extensive and updated guide for people who want to create a bandit with the intention of taking it into 4th job. If you're simply aiming to be a casual player, I hope there's useful information here for you too.

There's only a handful of active shads on the server, but we are incredible level grinders in 4th job, solid attackers for bossing, and very importantly - one of the most enjoyable classes in the game because of our unique and very well-balanced skill set.

Shads are pretty sweet, with hella flashy skills. Though we’re technically melee attackers, we have great attack range (over 2/5 of the screen) with our main mobbing skill Boomerang Step. For a combination of several reasons, we take damage less often than any other class in the game and also only need to wash minimally, if at all, for 4th job bossing.

Our biggest shortfall was that shads were widely considered liabilities in terms of solo-target Damage-Per-Minute (DPM) for bossing, but this is no longer the case. With the recent skill buff to Assassinate, we are now capable of producing extremely solid solo-target DPM.
    xx nate verga.png
    Using the Dark Sight > Assassinate > BoomStep macro at Vergamot, the first Neo Tokyo boss.

I intend for this guide to try to encompass as much as possible - ability and skill-building, HP washing, training, money-making, the works. That being said this guide is heavily influenced by my personal journey through Maple Legends. This is just what I’ve done or believe to be the best.

Let me start by sharing some of the things to love about being a shad:
    • perhaps the cheapest attacking class to fund for new players and even endgame players (relatively cheap daggers, dagger scrolls, potions).​
    • 3rd job skill Meso Guard decreases damage inflicted upon us by 50%, so HP washing is “truly optional” for us (will explain in a bit).​
    • 3rd job skill Meso Explosion can allow you to speed level through 3rd job - you can get over ~20 million exp for ~6 million mesos per hour.
    • 4th job skill Boomerang Step stuns, hits up to 4!!!! mobs and has long “invincibility frames” (iframes) in which you won’t take damage.​
    • 4th job skill Smokescreen is the sauciest party buff in bossing - party invincibility for up to a full minute.​
    • 4th job skill Shadow Shifter at max level lets us automatically avoid 40% of attacks - combined with our high avoidability and iframes, we are hit less often than any other class (ex. I’ve used as little as 10 honster HP potions in a Zak run and 60 honsters for Horntail).​
    • 4th job skill Taunt at max level lets us receive +40% exp from each mob - and it stacks with Holy Symbol. This, combined with high accuracy and the ability to hit 4 mobs with BoomStep, is why we are one of the fastest classes to train in 4th job.​
    And here are some of the things to dislike about being a shad:
    • As far as all attackers go, we still have lower-end solo-target DPM. Even with the recent buff to Assassinate, we can't compare to 4th job range classes, but this is normal.​
    • Though we may out-damage a non-buffed warrior, valuable party buffs like Sharp Eyes (hardly affects us) and Speed Infusion (does not affect us) benefit all warriors and are very common in bossing scenarios. So generally speaking, in bossing our solo and multi-target DPM is still a bit lower than like-leveled warrior counterparts.
    • Related to the point above - BoomStep has a longer animation compared to any warrior mobbing skill even when they don't have SI. This is more of a niche con for certain multi-target bossing scenarios like CWKPQ, it does not affect our grinding capabilities.​
    • We don't have any attacks that connect past melee range until 4th job. And our 3rd job mobbing attack is weak and only hits 6 mobs in quite close proximity, which is annoying af until we get BoomStep.​
    I’ll further qualify all the pros by saying that many people (even our own) meme the shad class into oblivion because we’re not ideal DPM attackers for endgame bossing and don't offer a crucial party buff like Hyper Body, Sharp Eyes, or Speed Infusion. But at the time of writing this, I regularly organize 5-member CWKPQ, 6-member Zakum, and 10-man Horntail runs that are able to clear in very solid times. I also often join Neo Tokyo and Toad runs.

Which is to say - nothing is off-limits for us! It’s okay to not be an optimal solo target DPM attacker for endgame bossing, we are still able to do it all and contribute well to any team.

Plus, everybody loves Smokescreen.
    upload_2019-11-4_2-49-54.png
    That one time I tried to solo the final Neo Tokyo boss Nameless Magic Monster and KO'd in ~5 minutes. grinmush
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
    2. AP Builds :star:

Bandits are unique in that we are the only class to eventually require 3 different AP stats - str, dex, and luk. Luk is the stat that actually increases our damage range the most, while dex adds accuracy and is needed to wear the vast majority of our equipment (str is necessary to equip our endgame dagger and shield at higher levels).

There are really only 2 viable AP builds for bandits - the OG build or the low-dex build. I’d recommend the OG build if you plan to grind through 3rd job and save money, and the low-dex build if you have money to spend and can afford Meso Exploding through 3rd job. Objectively speaking, the low-dex build + speed leveling through 3rd job with Meso Explosion is by far the better option.

Choose wisely here. If you choose to start with the dexless build, it’ll be tough (but not impossible) to transition to a regular dex bandit and wear the level 80 shield. So it’s best to make your choice very early on, preferably by 1st job advancement at lvl 10 when you either continue or stop adding dex.

Whichever path you take, you'll arrive at the same place - your endgame equips (lvl 120 dragon khanjar shield, lvl 100 Gold Double Knife or lvl 110 dragon kanzir dagger) will require str and dex anyways.
    Low-Dex Build - recommended if you are funded/plan to Meso Explode through 3rd job

This is the build that most shad guides I’ve seen recommend, and by far more practical IF you have the funds to speed level through 3rd job with Meso Explosion. Because Meso Explosion damage is dependent on the bags you drop and not your weapon or damage range, you can speed level without worrying about upgrading equipment (and therefore not needing to reach certain str/dex AP benchmarks until much later).

If you choose this low-dex build, you will be able to do a bit more damage than a dex-bandit counterpart through 1st and 2nd job, but there are only a limited number of weapons to use (daggers that require no dex to wear, such as lvl 35 korean fan, lvl 40 plastic bottle, lvl 53 liu bei dagger, lvl 75 kebob, and maple daggers available at lvl 43 and 64).

You are also limited to other gear that don't require any dex - essentially just a bathrobe overall scrolled for luk and the slime shoes from Kerning City PQ (since they can add luk) until you are ready to transition to the regular str/dex requirements for endgame equipment.

Once again, keep in mind that you will still need 75 str/150 dex by lvl 120 at latest - I’ve met several bandits who started low-dex, didn’t plan well, and were not on track to reach this benchmark in time.
    • Make sure you have 25 dex for 1st job advancement at level 10 - aside from that, you can pump everything into luk until lvl 70 at 3rd job advancement. SO EZ.​
    • Because you will be speed leveling through 3rd job, you really don’t need to upgrade your equipment until after level 100. I’d even recommend saving your AP points because adding them into stats won’t increase your Meso Explosion damage anyways.​
    • By level 110-120, you need to have 75 str/150 dex to equip your endgame dagger/shield, If you're dexless, you'll need some str and a lot of dex so just be sure to plan accordingly.​
    One of the pros to this build aside from speed leveling through early-mid 3rd job is that you’ll definitely save yourself NX cash because you won’t need as many AP resets to take out excess secondary stats later on. As stated, Meso Explosion isn’t reliant on your AP stats/damage range, so you should save hella AP points until late 3rd job when you figure out exactly how much str and dex you need in addition to your scrolled gear. That’s why this is a much more practical build for funded players.

OG Build - recommended if you are not funded/plan to grind through 3rd job

This build is my version of the original AP build for thieves, for those who plan to train hardcore. While I understand Meso Explosion is a big draw to play the shad class, realistically not everyone can afford to burn that many mesos to level. I enjoyed going through this OG build because I liked (past tense) to train, and I was able to upgrade my weapon and gear frequently because I had enough dex to equip them. And I also may have been broke af.

Keep in mind that when you scroll your equipment for dex/str at higher levels, you will also be able to skip adding those AP stats at many levels because scrolled gear will boost you toward your required AP benchmarks for 4th job equipment. Good planning will save you from buying a lot of AP resets in the future.

My recommended benchmarks for unfunded grinders are 60 str/120 dex by level 80 (optional), and 75 str/150 dex by level 110-120 is a must. You will never need more str/dex than that.
    • Until level 40, your dex should be 2x your level (this typically requires adding 2 dex every level, with the rest going into luk). EZ.​
    • After level 40, your dex should be your level + 40 (this typically requires adding 1 dex per level, with the rest going into luk). Also EZ.​
    • But starting around level 70, the build changes for a bit IF you plan to grind through 3rd job (without Meso Explosion) AND use the lvl 80 thief shield:
    • There is a lvl 80 shield called the khanjar that requires 60 str and 120 dex (and looks dope because it’s a sword) - it adds 6-8 weapon att clean, and is quite cheap to buy.​
    • Assuming you can get a Zakum Helmet (pay ~15 mil for service or loot from friends/guildies for free) which should add about +15 str/dex, the following bullet point should keep you on track to have 60 str by level 80.​
    • To be on pace to equip this, starting at level 70 you should add 4 str and 1 dex per level until you reach 60 str.​
    • Again - keep in mind that str/dex added from equips enable you to use less AP for those stats so that you can put more AP into luk.​
    • Once you hit the benchmark of 60 str at level 80, you can stop adding AP into str for a while, possibly forever, and resume adding 1 dex/4 luk per level. By level 110-120 you want to have 75 total str, but you can likely make up the last +15 str from equips, or just add some AP after level 100 to get there.​
    upload_2019-11-4_2-52-32.png
    Training at Windraiders around lvl 85 with a Dragon's Tail and Khanjar shield.

One note about this build - if you plan to grind through 3rd job AND use the khanjar shield at level 80, you’ll end up with higher base str than you would want to keep for endgame purposes. So in all likelihood, you’ll gradually buy AP resets to get rid of the excess secondary stat at later levels as you gain more of your str from gear instead. That’s why this is for unfunded players - in addition to leveling slower than you would with Meso Explosion, you'll end up spending more NX vote cash on AP resets as well. Such is the cost of not getting lucky in gach lul.

****PRO TIP #1: Grinders Can Skip The Lvl 80 Khanjar****

If you’re not interested in a mediocre boost to your damage range with the headache of buying excessive AP resets in the future, you can also choose to skip the str benchmarks for the khanjar entirely! It’s not a complete necessity, though it is a decent boost to one’s range if you’re grinding through 3rd job. But you can easily skip the khanjar, continue adding 1 dex 4 luk instead, and just mass add str later on for the lvl 120 dragon khanjar - after you have scrolled gear and know how much str you really need.

The most important thing is just to be on track to have 75 str/150 dex by lvl 110-120. Everyone’s journey is different so it’s hard to say exactly when you should start mass adding AP in str/dex, but just keep it in mind.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
    3. Skill Builds :pinkbean: (credit to Marty for 1st-3rd job allocations)

Again, these are suggestions. I’ll provide the recommended order of add too, but the most important thing is to make sure you max your necessary skills.

1st job:

Optional note: Becoming a SinDit - Some bandits choose to use Lucky Seven (throwing stars) instead of double stab to get through 1st and early 2nd job. There’s no catch to becoming a SinDit - you are able to train more easily at more locations because you have an attack with good range, you are able to fulfill the duties of a range attacker if needed in LPQ, and you are also a bit more powerful until you have some SP in Savage Blow in early 2nd job. While I didn’t use this build, it’s a good option with more pros and zero cons until you max your main 2nd job attack around lvl 40.

Level 10: +1 Lucky Seven [1]
    Level 11: +3 Nimble Body [3]
    Level 12: +3 Keen Eyes [3]
    Level 13: +3 Keen Eyes [6]
    Level 14: +2 Keen Eyes [MAX]; +1 Lucky Seven [2]
    Level 15: +3 Lucky Seven [5]
    Level 16: +3 Lucky Seven [8]
    Level 17: +3 Lucky Seven [11]
    Level 18: +3 Lucky Seven [14]
    Level 19: +3 Lucky Seven [17]
    Level 20: +3 Lucky Seven [MAX]
    Level 21: +3 Nimble Body [6]
    Level 22: +3 Nimble Body [9]
    Level 23: +1 Nimble Body [10]; +2 Disorder [2]
    Level 24: +1 Disorder [3]; +2 Dark Sight [2]
    Level 25: +3 Dark Sight [5]
    Level 26: +3 Dark Sight [8]
    Level 27: +3 Dark Sight [11]
    Level 28: +3 Dark Sight [14]
    Level 29: +3 Dark Sight [17]
    Level 30: +3 Dark Sight [MAX]

Level 10: +1 Double Stab [1]
    Level 11: +3 Double Stab [4]
    Level 12: +3 Double Stab [7]
    Level 13: +3 Double Stab [10]
    Level 14: +3 Double Stab [13]
    Level 15: +3 Double Stab [16]
    Level 16: +3 Double Stab [19]
    Level 17: +1 Double Stab [MAX]; +2 Nimble Body [2]
    Level 18: +3 Nimble Body [5]
    Level 19: +3 Nimble Body [8]
    Level 20: +3 Nimble Body [11]
    Level 21: +3 Nimble Body [14]
    Level 22: +3 Nimble Body [17]
    Level 23: +3 Nimble Body [MAX]
    Level 24: +3 Disorder [3]
    Level 25: +3 Dark Sight [3]
    Level 26: +3 Dark Sight [6]
    Level 27: +3 Dark Sight [9]
    Level 28: +3 Dark Sight [12]
    Level 29: +3 Dark Sight [15]
    Level 30: +3 Dark Sight [18]

2nd job:

I’m going to map out the suggested build per level for this, but keep in mind it’s up to you. You can choose to max other skills first depending on what you want more - ex. Dagger Mastery for stability first, or points in Dagger Booster for speed earlier. But max Savage Blow’s damage multiplier does more damage than Double Stab with max Dagger Mastery, so it’s technically the best first option (though I actually maxed Dagger Mastery first). Some people like to max Haste because people in LPQ love that shit, but there are so many assassins who’ll probably have it anyways.

If you went with the SinDit build first job, instead of finishing Dark Sight and adding to Steal, finish adding to the 1st job skill Nimble Body instead, then dump the leftovers in Steal. Steal is basically useless.

Level 30: +1 Dagger Mastery [1]
    Level 31: +3 Savage Blow [3]
    Level 32: +3 Savage Blow [6]
    Level 33: +3 Savage Blow [9]
    Level 34: +3 Savage Blow [12]
    Level 35: +3 Savage Blow [15]
    Level 36: +3 Savage Blow [18]
    Level 37: +1 Savage Blow [21]
    Level 38: +3 Savage Blow [24]
    Level 39: +3 Savage Blow [27]
    Level 40: +3 Savage Blow [MAX]
    Level 41: +3 Dagger Mastery [4]
    Level 42: +1 Dagger Mastery [5], +2 Dagger Booster [2]
    Level 43: +3 Dagger Booster [5]
    Level 44: +1 Dagger Booster [6], +2 Dagger Mastery [7]
    Level 45: +3 Dagger Mastery [10]
    Level 46: +3 Dagger Mastery [13]
    Level 47: +3 Dagger Mastery [16]
    Level 48: +3 Dagger Mastery [19]
    Level 49: +3 Dagger Mastery [MAX], +2 Haste [2]
    Level 50: +3 Haste [5]
    Level 51: +3 Haste [8]
    Level 52: +3 Haste [11]
    Level 53: +3 Haste [14]
    Level 54: +3 Haste [17]
    Level 55: +3 Haste [MAX]
    Level 56: +3 Dagger Booster [9]
    Level 57: +3 Dagger Booster [12]
    Level 58: +3 Dagger Booster [15]
    Level 59: +3 Dagger Booster [18]
    Level 60: +2 Dagger Booster [MAX], +1 Dark Sight [19]
    Level 61: +1 Dark Sight [MAX], +2 Steal [2]
    Level 62: +3 Steal [5]
    Level 63: +3 Steal [8]
    Level 64: +3 Steal [11]
    Level 65: +3 Steal [14]
    Level 66: +3 Steal [17]
    Level 67: +3 Steal [20]
    Level 68: +3 Steal [23]
    Level 69: +3 Steal [26]
    Level 70: +3 Steal [29]

3rd job:

I’ve explained the difference between these builds in the AP section. My version of the grinder’s build has you maxing Meso Guard and Pickpocket earlier than other shad guides but I think it’s for very good reason since you won’t be using Meso Explosion anyways.
    Level 70: +1 Meso Explosion [1]
    Level 71: + 3 Chakra [3]
    Level 72: +1 Meso Guard [1], +2 Meso Explosion [2]
    Level 73: +3 Meso Explosion [5]
    Level 74: +3 Meso Explosion [8]
    Level 75: +3 Meso Explosion [11]
    Level 76: +3 Meso Explosion [14]
    Level 77: +3 Meso Explosion [17]
    Level 78: +3 Meso Explosion [20]
    Level 79: +3 Meso Explosion [24]
    Level 80: +3 Meso Explosion [27]
    Level 81: +3 Meso Explosion [MAX]
    Level 82: +3 Meso Guard [4]
    Level 83: +3 Meso Guard [7]
    Level 84: +3 Meso Guard [10]
    Level 85: +3 Meso Guard [13]
    Level 86: +3 Meso Guard [16]
    Level 87: +3 Meso Guard [19]
    Level 88: +1 Meso Guard [MAX], +1 Assaulter [1], +1 Band of Thieves [1]
    Level 89: +3 Band of Thieves [4]
    Level 90: +3 Band of Thieves [7]
    Level 91: +3 Band of Thieves [10]
    Level 92: +3 Band of Thieves [13]
    Level 93: +3 Band of Thieves [16]
    Level 94: +3 Band of Thieves [19]
    Level 95: +3 Band of Thieves [22]
    Level 96: +3 Band of Thieves [25]
    Level 97: +3 Band of Thieves [28]
    Level 98: +2 Band of Thieves [MAX], +1 Assaulter [2]
    Level 99: +3 Assaulter [5]
    Level 100: +3 Assaulter [8]
    Level 101: +3 Assaulter [11]
    Level 102: +3 Assaulter [14]
    Level 103: +3 Assaulter [17]
    Level 104: +3 Assaulter [20]
    Level 105: +3 Assaulter [23]
    Level 106: +3 Assaulter [26]
    Level 107: +3 Assaulter [29]
    Level 108: +1 Assaulter [MAX], +2 Pickpocket [2]
    Level 109: +3 Pickpocket [5]
    Level 110: +3 Pickpocket [8]
    Level 111: +3 Pickpocket [11]
    Level 112: +3 Pickpocket [14]
    Level 113: +3 Pickpocket [17]
    Level 114: +3 Pickpocket [MAX]
    Level 115: +3 Chakra [6]
    Level 116: +3 Chakra [9]
    Level 117: +3 Chakra [12]
    Level 118: +3 Chakra [15]
    Level 119: +3 Chakra [18]
    Level 120: +2 Chakra [21]

Level 70: +1 Meso Explosion [1]
    Level 71: +3 Band of Thieves [3]
    Level 72: +3 Band of Thieves [6]
    Level 73: +3 Band of Thieves [9]
    Level 74: +3 Band of Thieves [12]
    Level 75: +3 Band of Thieves [15]
    Level 76: +3 Band of Thieves [18]
    Level 77: +3 Band of Thieves [21]
    Level 78: +3 Band of Thieves [24]
    Level 79: +3 Band of Thieves [27]
    Level 80: +3 Band of Thieves [MAX]
    Level 81: +3 Chakra [3],
    Level 82: +1 Assaulter [1], +2 Meso Guard [2]
    Level 83: +3 Meso Guard [5]
    Level 84: +3 Meso Guard [8]
    Level 85: +3 Meso Guard [11]
    Level 86: +3 Meso Guard [14]
    Level 87: +3 Meso Guard [17]
    Level 88: +3 Meso Guard [MAX]
    Level 89: +3 Pickpocket [3]
    Level 90: +3 Pickpocket [6]
    Level 91: +3 Pickpocket [9]
    Level 92: +3 Pickpocket [12]
    Level 93: +3 Pickpocket [15]
    Level 94: +3 Pickpocket [18]
    Level 95: +2 Pickpocket [MAX], +1 Meso Explosion [2]
    Level 96: +3 Meso Explosion [5]
    Level 97: +3 Meso Explosion [8]
    Level 98: +3 Meso Explosion [11]
    Level 99: +3 Meso Explosion [14]
    Level 100: +3 Meso Explosion [17]
    Level 101: +3 Meso Explosion [20]
    Level 102: +3 Meso Explosion [23]
    Level 103: +3 Meso Explosion [26]
    Level 104: +3 Meso Explosion [29]
    Level 105: +1 Meso Explosion [MAX], +2 Assaulter [3]
    Level 106: +3 Assaulter [6]
    Level 107: +3 Assaulter [9]
    Level 108: +3 Assaulter [12]
    Level 109: +3 Assaulter [15]
    Level 110: +3 Assaulter [18]
    Level 111: +3 Assaulter [21]
    Level 112: +3 Assaulter [24]
    Level 113: +3 Assaulter [27]
    Level 114: +3 Assaulter [MAX]
    Level 115: +3 Chakra [6]
    Level 116: +3 Chakra [9]
    Level 117: +3 Chakra [12]
    Level 118: +3 Chakra [15]
    Level 119: +3 Chakra [18]
    Level 120: +3 Chakra [21]
    upload_2019-11-4_2-57-25.png
    At Ghost Ship - Band of Thieves only works within melee range, but can hit up to 6 mobs.

4th job:

Oh lawd here we go. There are different reasonable ways you can do this, so I’m just going to give you my guidelines.

The good news is we have like really cheap skillbooks (except taunt 30, which costs 7-10 mil). Some of our skill books are only obtainable via area bosses like Pianus or big bosses like Horntail, but they’re still mad cheap because there’s way more supply than demand. If you’d like to grind to get some of these books just search the skill in Maple Legends Library. Honestly, I’d just recommend buying all of them since they’re so inexpensive.

Regardless of what you want to do early 4th job:
    • Get a single SP point into Shadow Shifter, Smokescreen, and Venom early (Venom more optional). After the first point, the gain from using early SP is too gradual to be worth maxing these before more valuable skills.​
    • Hands down, max Boomerang Step first. This is your main mobbing attack for grinding and you also use it in bossing.​
    • Leave Venom and Ninja Ambush for last since they some trash.​
    If you want to grind early (130-150) (recommended):

BoomStep > Shadow Shifter/Taunt > Assassinate > Maple Warrior/Smokescreen > Venom > Ninja Ambush
    • If you’d like to grind from 130-150+ and get to a higher level before bossing (which I recommend since we're pretty garbage for bossing until at least level 140+), you should focus on maxing Shadow Shifter next, and probably Taunt after that - or split adding SP to both every time you level.​
    • Shadow Shifter at max level let’s us automatically avoid 40% of attacks, which is truly amazing. Combine this with our iframes and extremely high avoidability, we take damage less often than any other class, even NightLords.​
    • Taunt at max level lets us gain a whopping +40% exp/drop rate from mobs (while increasing mob defense by 40% - so you use it when mobs are close to dying). That being said, Taunt starts to have utility around level 10+ (+20% exp/drop/defense) so you could just get it to that level and then start adding to other skills.​
    • Definitely max Assassinate after Shifter/Taunt, since you’ll want to be useful in any kind of bossing situation after level 150+.​

upload_2019-11-4_3-6-15.png
    Grinding at lvl 132 on Shaolin 7F with max BoomStep and a partner. Rookie EPH here.

If you want to boss early (130-150):

BoomStep > Assassinate > Shadow Shifter/Smokescreen > Maple Warrior/Taunt > Venom > Ninja Ambush
    • If you’d like to boss as early as 140, your 2nd highest priority is Assassinate. This skill is our greatest solo-target DPM attack, though you can only use it from Dark Sight, and you use it in an automatic macro combination that I explain in a later section.​
    • After Assassinate, definitely go for Shadow Shifter for the reasons stated above (it’s obviously huge for bossing too).​
    • What a lot of bossers do early on is max Smokescreen (party invincibility), so you can split adding SP to both Shifter and Smoke if you’d like. My qualm with maxing Smokescreen early is that even though the range of effect is gigantic at max level, after 31 seconds at lvl 1 Smoke it only increases in duration by 1 second per SP point - and the cooldown remains 10 minutes even at max level. But your bossing team will also love you for max Smoke.​
    • After you max Shifter and Smoke, you should max Taunt since grinding remains the most effective way to level throughout 4th job even though bossing is much more fun.​
    For your reference, this is how I did my 4th job skills. While I was getting carried in Zakum and CWKPQ pretty early, I chose to go with a hybrid of grind build since I was doing a lot of that:​
    1. Boomerang Step 30​
    2. Shadow Shifter 30 + Taunt 15​
    3. Assassinate 30​
    4. Maple Warrior 20​
    5. Smokescreen 30 + Taunt 30​
    6. I’m in the process of maxing Venom, and am leaving Ninja Ambush for last​
    upload_2019-11-4_3-8-54.png
    Nibergen, the 3rd boss in Neo Tokyo (minimum level essentially 163).

****PRO TIP #2: Don’t Max Maple Warrior Early****

Even though it’s dope, you shouldn’t max Maple Warrior before level 160 - unless you can afford the Maple Warrior 20 skillbook (over 300 mil). It adds a decent amount to damage range even at MW10, but in any bossing situation someone will have at least MW10 if not 20. If you’re a bosser and you pass MW20, then it’s great to max after BoomStep, Assassinate, Shifter, and Smoke. You should max shad-specific skills first because the odds are usually decent that someone in your bossing party has MW20.

Also, since shads are typically less than ideal attackers for bossing, having MW20 is nice incentive to let people bring you along for boss runs since it boosts everyone’s damage considerably :) Or you can just be like all of the other high-level shads and organize your own runs lul
    4. HP & Washing MapleF3 (credit to Akash for HP Washing Info)

If you foresee yourself staying a casual player that may not make it to 4th job, you don’t really need to worry about washing and can skip this section entirely.

Washing only becomes a true necessity for shads if you want to do some of the hardest-hitting bosses late in 4th job - like Nameless Magic Monster in Neo Tokyo and Toad in Ninja Castle, among a few other things - bosses that you won’t have enough HP to tank even if you have HB. Otherwise, it’s more of a for-comfort thing.

As Akash explains so well in his Is HP Washing Optional forum post, by obtaining all of the various equips that provide HP (tier 10 Monster Card Ring, Blackfist Cloak, Mark of Naricain pendant, HP pet equips etc.), a shadower can have enough HP by level 140 to tank max damage from harder-hitting bosses like Black Crow, Kacchu Musha (Samurai), Zakum, Scar/Targa, and Horntail (lvl 155 minimum) - without washing at all. 140 is not an arbitrary number, that’s around the level when you can have max BoomStep and Assassinate (if you choose to max those first) which are essential for bossing.

But if you’re serious about training a shad deep into 4th job and enjoying all of the endgame content ML has to offer, some light washing is needed. And frankly, I recommend washing at least moderately for comfort if you aim to do any kind of bossing. I’ll refer you to this HP Washing Guide if you’re interested - it’s a bit complicated if you’re new to the concept but is a very rewarding process if you start early enough and stick through it for the long haul.

Summary of ways to add HP without washing:
    • Upgrade your monster card ring (tier 10 ring adds +1000 HP, aka +2000 HP for shads because of Meso Guard).​
    • Get a Deputy Star (+100 HP) or Mark of Naricain pendant from CWKPQ (+300 HP) - but the endgame pendant for us is really the Horntail Pendant which adds crazy boosts to defenses but not HP.​
    • (Get lucky and) find a Blackfist Cloak in CWKPQ bonus stage (+300 HP and also 3-5 weapon att clean).​
    • Get the Ellin ring by completing the tedious questline (+100 HP but worth it because there are not many rings in the game).​
    • Scroll your pet’s equipment for HP - 10/30% scrolls add +50 per (and you can have up to 3 pets).​
    If you don’t HP wash at all, you should still be fine to survive in the majority of bossing with even just a few of the gear listed above - you won’t get 1-hit in Zak, Scar/Targa, CWKPQ, and Horntail at the minimum levels required to get exp from those bosses. This is why HP washing is almost truly optional for shads, which can’t in good conscience be said for any non-warrior attacking class.

I’ll actually provide my personal HP information as well, because I feel that I’ve washed just enough for endgame purposes, and that it’s not terribly difficult to replicate. I have the minimum 4 base int and did all washing through leveling with int gear. My goal was to reach over 6,500 HP (13,000 with Meso Guard) by around lvl 160 because I wanted to be able to participate in Neo Tokyo bossing without the HB buff.​
    • I have been doing about 1 wash per 2 levels to 2 washes per 3 levels from level 90-140 (leveling with 60-80 int), and 1 wash per 1 level (leveling with 120 int) from 140-180. And I plan to continue doing 1 wash per level until I reach 200.​
    • I have 7,000 HP at lvl 180 (so 14,000 with meso guard, which is over 22,000 with HB).​
    • I actively use the tier 8 Monster Card Ring, Ellin ring, Blackfist Cloak, and a single pet equip with +250 HP.​
    • I don’t need HB to tank Black Crow, Kacchu Musha, Zakum, Scar/Targa, Horntail, and 3/4 Neo Tokyo bosses.​
    • I need HB for Anego/Showa bosses (18k+ max damage), Nameless Magic Monster in Neo Tokyo (18k max), and Toad (17k+ max).​

****PRO TIP #3: Monster Card Ring is Actually OP For Shads****

Each tier you upgrade for your monster card ring adds +1 to each stat (+10 all stats, +1,000 HP for the tier 10 ring). So this benefits shads more than any other class not only because we gain double the HP - but also because we use both str and dex to equip our 4th job gear! It’s a tedious process to get 300 sets of 5 cards, but in the end it pays off in a huge way for us. I’d recommend trying to do 3 sets every day that you’re able to play - it’s a nice break to explore the Maple world, it’s exciting to get a surprisingly good drop from random mobs, and those gach tickets STACK if you let them.

Here’s a link to GM Pretzel’s unmatched efficient Monster Book farming guide.
    5. Training SlimeGrin

This is a mix of both what I’ve done and what I’ve heard is best from others.

Here are some prerequisite notes:​
    • It is EXTREMELY worth it to Meso Explode through early 3rd job - at lvl 80, you can actually gain over 20 MILLION exp per hour (lvl 80-85) for just about 6 mil. See the section below for Meso Explosion training details at the 2 best locations.​
    • When grinding in 2nd job, it's always better to grind with a partner, especially one that can hit multiple mobs at once since thieves have no mobbing attacks until 3rd job. Plus, the spawns are better and there’s an exp bonus when there are 2 people in a party killing on the same map as once.​
    • When grinding through any part of 3rd job, a priest is your best friend - they can hit multiple mobs and provide HS for extra exp.​
    • I’m not including standalone quests in this guide, though there are quest guides that inform of the ones that give great exp at certain levels. That being said, I don’t want to deter you from doing quests either! They can be a lot of fun and have great rewards, and also Maple Legends provides 3x exp from quests.​
    • Thankfully for shads, 4th job is where we shine - training gets pretty fast again from around 130-155. Don’t get discouraged during the rough patches, I believe in u :)
    • If you want to buy leech, I’ll refer you to the leech table so you can see the minimum level requirements for each mob. I would highly recommend NOT buying leech before lvl 65. because it’s truly not worth the money until you can get exp from Windraiders. Everything after lvl 65 is quite worth it if you can afford the blow to your mesos and your pride lul. But frankly, if you can afford leech after lvl 80 then you'd be much better off Meso Exploding, as it's both faster and more cost-efficient.​
    1st & 2nd Job:

lvl 0-10: Maple Island and the quests along the way
    lvl 10-15/17: Slimes near Ellinia
    lvl 15/17-21: Octopus near Kerning City or Bubblings in Kerning City Subway
    lvl 21-30: Kerning City PQ
    lvl 30-35: Teddies near Ludibrium or the Ariant Questline
    lvl 35-45: Ludibrium PQ
    lvl 40-50: Master Chronos
    lvl 45-55: Ellin PQ
    lvl 55-70: Ghost Ship 1-6, or Voodoos at Haunted House (take the taxi from New Leaf City), Ludi Maze PQ (very dead), Pirate PQ (kinda dead)

3rd Job If Grinding:

lvl 70-80: Ghost Ship 2 or 6
    lvl 75-85: Windraiders in Crimsonwood Keep (need to go through an “easy” jump quest to get to this map) (I died 9 times before I looked up the YouTube tutorial lul)
    lvl 80-100: Kid Mannequins in Taipei 101 (accessible via Kerning Subway)
    lvl 90-100: Galloperas in the cut of Malaysia
    lvl 100-110: Himes (Dreamy Ghosts) near Mushroom Shrine
    lvl 110-120: Himes, Temple of Time (accessible via Leafre)

3rd job If Meso Exploding (look up mobs on Maple Legends Library for HP/exp information):

Shaolin 7F (I don't have data but I believe this is the #1 option)**
    Gold/Bronze Martial Artists at Shaolin Forest of Towers**
    Himes near Mushroom Shrine**

Gobies in deep Aqua Road
    Elder Wraiths in Crimsonwood Keep
    Headless Horseman and Bigfoot in Crimsonwood Keep
    upload_2019-11-4_3-26-56.png
    One of the few levels I Meso Exploded at Himes. Don't mind that I'm doing this totally wrong.

Speed Leveling at Shaolin Forest of Towers/Himes (credit to Konnui for numbers and Moob for sharing!):

Meso Exploding friends have told me that you can very quickly go from low 70s to 120 - though it's quite expensive. I only did this for 1 or 2 levels, but if you alternate making money training at Kid Mannequins with Meso Explosion training you can also save yourself a LOT of time.

Almost every bandit I know Meso Exploded at Himes - but there's a much better option available that's twice as fast for essentially the same exp/meso ratio...

Thanks to Moob sharing Konnui's statistics from testing Shaolin Forest of Towers and Himes as a shad training with max Meso Explosion and a bishop for HS (lvl 14x and lvl 17x, but the lvl/stats shouldn't matter since Meso Explosion doesn't rely on damage range) - here are some ridiculous statistics:

Note: 1 run = 1 round of luring mobs + dropping and exploding mesos, and also make sure you train with a partner (priest highly preferable) within 5 levels of you since individually you are both too low to leech exp from the mobs!

Shaolin Forest of Towers:

Bandit: ~302k exp per run, 21.1 million exp/hour
    Bishop: ~175k exp/run, 12.25 million exp/hour

70 runs per hour at 51 seconds per run
    Drop 85,000 mesos per run (800-1,200 mesos per bag) aka 6 mil/hour in mesos
    A bandit spends ~.284 mesos/exp here

Himes near Mushroom Shrine:

Bandit: ~104k exp / run, 11.4 million exp/hour
    Bishop: ~71k exp/run, 7.7 million exp/hour

109 runs per hour at 33 seconds per run
    Drop 30,000 mesos per run (800 mesos per bag) aka 3.3 mil/hour in mesos
    A bandit spends ~.289 mesos/exp here

To summarize this information - if the rates are at all similar for lower-level counterparts (I don't see why they wouldn't be - as a bandit you should actually get MORE exp training with a partner close to your level than listed above; in the example the bishop is about 30 levels higher than the shad)...

The meso/exp ratio is almost exactly the same at both locations, but exploding at Shaolin Forest of Towers is nearly TWICE as fast.
    I believe you need at least over 2,600 total HP to avoid getting one-hit KO'd by the Gold Martial Artists here, but that shouldn't be a problem at all especially with a point or few in Meso Guard.

For your reference, to level from 80-85 only takes less than 20 million exp, so it'll cost you less than 6 mil in mesos. Thanks Konnui and Moob :)

4th job:

lvl 120-125: Shaolin Temple 1-2 or 3-4F
    lvl 125-130: Shaolin 5-6F or 7F
    lvl 130-forever smh: Shaolin 7F

A few post notes:​
    • The hardest times to level for non-Meso Exploding grinders are around 70-80 and 100-120. Good luck friends.​
    • Unfortunately, Ludi Maze PQ is very dead, which surprises me because LMPQ is actually great for leveling and pot money. If you can find a squad you should do it.​
    • If you get some SP in Meso Guard and Band of Thieves early on, training at Kid Mannequins is amazing - the exp/HP ratio is insane, and the “auto-aggressive” mobs move toward you just by standing on the map. But these bitches hit hard, be careful. I wouldn’t recommend grinding here until you have Band of Thieves hitting 5+ mobs and at least a point in Meso Guard.​
    • 7F inside the Shaolin Temple is a training location primarily for melee attackers. When training at Shaolin 7F from 125-forever, it's best to train with any like-leveled warrior or another shad. If you're lucky enough to find an I/L mage who wants to train there since they can freeze and remain untouched in the safe spot of the top left corner, the exp will be even more outrageous - I recall getting over 85 mil exp/hour with an archmage around lvl 160.​
    Brief Guide To The Meso Explosion Process:

Before you start, make sure you have the Meso Explosion skill on the key of your choice.​
    1. Enter Dark Sight either before you lure mobs or while your partner is luring mobs.​
    2. Open up your item inventory and click the drop mesos coin icon near the bottom.​
    3. Position the meso amount drop window so that the “ok” button is directly on top of the coin icon.​
    4. Fill up the text box entirely with 0s and end it with the amount of mesos you want to drop (ex. 0000000800 or 0000001200).​
    5. “Copy” the entire string of numbers (ctrl/cmd+c).​
    6. Hold down “paste” (ctrl/cmd+v) while spamming click on the “ok” button/coin icon until you've dropped the right amount of mesos. Remain in Dark Sight while dropping the bags.​
    7. Once you or your partner have lured the mobs, exit Dark Sight if the latter and spam your Meso Explosion key for thicc rapidfire lines of damage.​
    When you use Meso Explosion, you will knockback mobs to the left. Depending on what map you’re training on, the position of where you drop the bags and lure the mobs to changes. For example, on the Himes map near Mushroom Shrine, it’s best to drop the bags on the left side portal and then stand in the far left corner while exploding them.

But because it will take more time to kill the higher level mobs at Forest of Towers, you'll probably want to be on the right side so that when you knockback the mobs to the left they'll still gravitate toward you and the drop point.

****PRO TIP #4: How To Attack While Dropping Mesos****

If you have an attack on the “v” key, it will cast when you’re holding down ctrl/cmd+v during Meso Explosion. But you can actually use this to your advantage while bossing - I have the shad optimal solo-target DPM macro (Dark Sight > Assassinate > Boomstep) on the “v” key, so as I’m holding down ctrl/cmd+v to drop mesos I'm also attacking the entire time. With Meso Explosion at max level, I drop 5,000-meso bags to do 6 lines of 50,000 damage per bag - which is to say shads can do insane DPM in bursts by doing this. I’ve used this many times during Zakum body and CWKPQ boss stage, but it’s expensive so don’t get too carried away.
    6. Money-Making :sack:

Let me start by saying there really is no guarantee get-rich-quick scheme in Maple Legends. Until you hit later levels, it’s up to a lot of good luck and getting that sweet RNG to land in your favor. That being said, I’ll reveal some of the most lucrative strategies I’ve used to make money here and there, and I hope that some of these can help you do the same.

Unfortunately, until after 3rd job there are no great ways to make money besides APQ. Your best bet is to grind mobs, get a lot of gachapon tickets from them, and hope for some great scrolls or equips in the lottery.
    • Anytime after level 40, get married so that you can Amoria PQ - you can run it once every 6 hours and get Onyx Apples in the bonus stage boxes, which sell for 3 mil each! On average, you can probably get at least 1 apple every 2 runs. Sometimes you’ll get 0 apples for 5 runs straight, and other times you’ll get 3 apples for 2 runs straight, but just keep doing it. You can also save a few and stash them away for dire 4th job bossing situations (+100 weapon attack for 10 minutes). The caveat here is that finding people for APQ can be annoying, and it’s even more annoying to farm the 10 keys from mobs before each run. But it’s still so worth it.​
    • One decent option from around lvl 55+ is farming gold teeth from Miner Zombies at Dead Mine II in deep El Nath. If you do the Zakum Prequests so that you can get a helm, you will need 30 gold teeth for yourself anyways - but these teeth also sell for 120-150k each. The caveat is that sometimes the market for teeth is flooded and it’s hard to sell them, but people also often purchase in bundles of 30.​
    • Voodoos is a popular exp training spot for solo target attackers (sins and bandits) in late 2nd job (55-70), and they can also drop heartstoppers which sell for 100-150k each. Not a bad place to get good exp and earn some extra money. The caveat here is that only 4 Voodoos spawn on the best map for them, but this isn't an issue if you're not one-shotting them yet anyways. Also I'd say the drop rate is worse than gold teeth.​
    • Nightghosts near Mushroom Shrine is lowkey an extremely lucrative spot if you can get lucky. You can probably start grinding here at level 60+. Though the exp isn’t great, check out the drops on Maple Legend Library. They drop insanely good scrolls including overall int 70, cape for int 70/30, helmet int 30 and best of all - claw for att 30, which sells for a whopping 8+ mil right now. Plus, the best map for Nightghosts also spawns Big Cloud Foxes, and you can exchange stacks of purple Cloud Fox tails for a slight chance at getting brown work gloves which sell for 15+ mil. I can’t believe I’m sharing this with you tbh I’ve fucked up​
    • Kid Mannequins is a spot where even 4th job players grind - simply because of the amount of mesos you can earn per hour. Once you’re level 80+ with your maxed out BoT mobbing skill, you can make at bare minimum 2-3 mil per hour grinding here - and the exp is fantastic until lvl 100+. I’ve made up to even 5 mil an hour after pots - the mesos dropped from the mob, our skill pickpocket, and NPCing the equips dropped really add up. They even drop earring int 10% which sell for a cool mil. There’s no caveat to kid mannequins, it just takes commitment to grinding to make steady stacks here.​
    • Keeping area boss timers to NPC equips and sell scrolls - plenty of bosses you can easily kill in 2nd-3rd job have good potential money drops. For example, King Clang drops overall int 60% and Dyle frequently drops equips including red katana. Tae Roon drop overall int 10% and Elliza drops earring dex 60%. King Sage Cat, my personal favorite, frequently drops equips and also has a chance for overall int 10%. The caveat here is that many area bosses are heavily camped because of drops and cards.​
    upload_2019-11-4_3-37-2.png
    ...This was taken at lvl 143 lol. A classic no-Meso Guard RIP at Kid Mannequins.

Once you hit 4th job, bossing regularly is a solid way to earn money - while earning fantastic exp. You can run any of the big bosses twice a day, with the timer reset occurring at midnight server time. Some money-from-bossing information for your reference:
    • If you’re splitting 15 mil from a Zakum helmet buyer 6 ways, splits come out to 2,437,500 each (yes this number is so deeply burned into my memory). With a decent group that can clear in about 30 mins and a solo-looting buyer both runs, that’s just under 5 mil in one hour. If you stumble upon a rare Genesis 20 drop, at the current plunging market rate that’s another 4+ mil in splits coming your way. In my opinion, shads are decent for 6-man Zakum runs around 140+ or whenever you have max BoomStep and Assassinate.​
    • Selling a Mark of Naricain with reloots in the run from CWKPQ goes for about 30-35 mil. If selling at 30 mil and running 6 man, splits will be 4,875,000 each. A single run in total takes about 70 minutes with a good team. And this doesn’t include the slew of spicy items you can get from bonus stage boxes! Regularly running CWKPQ is one of the best ways to make money as a 4th job attacker, you’ll stack more 30% weapon scrolls than you can sell at the going market rate. There’s also a chance for Crushed Skulls, Gelt Chocolates (+120 weapon att for 10 minutes), Spec Goggles, and Blackfist Cloaks. In my opinion, shads are serviceable for 6-man CWKPQ around 150+ though it’s possible to contribute even 10 levels before that.​
    • Running Horntail, if you have a Horntail Necklace Buyer for 60-70 mil and get a bit lucky with skillbook drops at the end… Those splits are Fat, even if running 10-12 man. We’ve had runs with ~400 mil in splits to be divided out (about 80 to 90-minute runs), and many people have been even luckier. The minimum level to join a Horntail squad and get exp is essentially 155+, and if your gear is good you’ll be a serviceable cleaver at that level because we’re the only attackers aside from mages who can hit 4 parts at once. For a shad to run 6-man though, I'd think that you need to be at least 170+ with great gear.​
    ****PRO TIP #5: Pls Don’t Be Broke By 4th Job****

Even though shads are one of the cheapest 4th job classes to fund, obtaining great gear for 4th job and beyond is always expensive. Buying/scrolling decent gear isn't too difficult, but because shads aren't optimal attackers it's best to aim higher than that. I highly recommend saving mesos for 4th job gear and not going broke Meso Exploding it all away or buying equipment and scrolls for lower-level equips that you’re going to get rid of in 10-20 levels anyways. The best thing you can do for yourself is steadily stash mesos in storage and forget about it.

****PRO TIP #6: If Organizing Boss Runs, Strong Range Attackers Are Key****

Q: "Tim, are you telling me that after all this shad hype talk you just find strong NightLords, Archers, and Corsairs to carry you for fast boss runs?"

A: .....ye

In all seriousness, strong range attackers (washing INTLords not included) make any kind of bossing, whether Zakum, Scar/Targa, Neo Tokyo, or Horntail go much faster since all range attackers generally have the highest solo-target DPM. For any bossing run, it's an extremely good idea to have an archer in the attacking party for their SE buff. For your reference, in 6-man Zakum I also typically aim for 1-2 NightLords, and for 10-man Horntail I aim for 2-3 NightLords.
    7. 4th Job Equipment :picopico:

Equipment that provides weapon att obviously adds the most to your range. After that, scrolling gear for dex is generally better than scrolling for luk when possible so that you can have lower base str/dex and therefore higher base luk, which will increase the effectiveness of the Maple Warrior buff (+10% to all stats at max level).

So focusing on a solid dagger > shield > glove > cape (in that order) is advisable.
    Then, helmet > top > bottom > shoes > earrings > face accessory > eye accessory.

These are my minimum recommendations for 4th job equips for a 140+ shad, whether you’re grinding or bossing to level. You can definitely get by with less, but I think these are reasonable goals to aim for that will ensure you and your damage are an asset to any partner or bossing team.

Minimum Recommended Gear:

Dagger: 120 att Gold Double Knife or Dragon Kanzir
    Shield: 25 att Dragon Khanjar
    Helmet: 30 dex zak/scar/targa/ravana helm, with preferably at least 16 str/luk as well.
    Face Accessory: 5 dex whatever
    Eye Accessory: +3 stat (str/dex) spec goggles, broken glasses from LPQ, or 3 dex eye mask
    Earrings: 10 dex or 11 luk whatever
    Cape: 4-5 att Blackfist Cloak or 3-4 att Pink Gaia Cape
    Top: 2 dex 16 luk pirate shirt/blouse (or higher level)
    Bottom: 12 dex 4 luk pirate pants/skirt (or higher level)
    Shoes: At least +12 total to whatever stats (str/dex/luk)
    Gloves: 12 att Brown Work Gloves or Yellow Markers
    Pendant: 22-23 str/dex/luk Horntail Pendant (“egged”)
    Rings: Tier 10 Monster Card ring + Ellin ring
    Pet Equip: 150 HP whatever

And here’s my personal gear + damage information if you’re interested in how it compares:

Dagger: 126 att Gold Double Knife
    Shield: 30 att Dragon Khanjar
    Helmet: 17/32/15/17 Scar Dex Helmet
    Face Accessory: 5 dex Rat Mouth
    Eye Accessory: 2 str 1 dex Spec Goggles
    Earrings: 13 luk Red Heart Earrings
    Cape: 6 att Blackfist Cloak
    Top: 2 dex 20 luk Red Pirate Shirt
    Bottom: 15 dex 4 luk Red Pirate Pants
    Shoes: 2 str 9 dex 5 luk Red Katina Boots
    Gloves: 14 att Yellow Markers
    Pendant: 23/23/21/22 Horntail Pendant
    Rings: Tier 8 Monster Card ring + Ellin ring
    Pet Equip: 250 HP Red Bow

For your reference, at lvl 180 the top of my range on just MW20 (I can’t wear my gear without it) is ~7200. And it’s ~7800 on MW20 and coke pill, and ~8000 on MW20 and rage/party bear. I'm not saying this to flex, as I'd only dub my gear decent, but in case you're wondering how shad DPM stacks up, you can see the rough numbers below.

As I've stated previously, our solo target DPM is very solid with the recent skill buff to Assassinate, but our multi-target DPM when hitting 3 targets or less is typically a bit lower than like-leveled warriors. I believe most of the warriors I run CWKPQ with for example do 12,000,000-13,000,000+ DPM with the same attack buffs (MW20 + rage) + SI. That being said, DPM is obviously heavily dependent on level and gear.

On MW20+rage/partybear (most common combo of buffs present while bossing):

Solo-target DPM at dummies (Dark Sight > Assassinate > BoomStep): ~6,250,000.
    Solo-target DPM at dummies (Dark Sight > Assassinate): 6,500,000.
    Solo-target DPM at bossing (Dark Sight > Assassinate > BoomStep): ~5,600,000.**
    Solo-target DPM at bossing (Dark Sight > Asssassinate): ~5,800,000.**
    3-target DPM at CWKPQ boss stage (BoomStep > Band of Thieves): ~9,300,000.
    4-target DPM at Horntail body (Jump + BoomStep only): ~9,800,000.

**These asterisked DPM figures haven't been tested with the recent shad skill buffs for Assassinate, but I believe are pretty close estimates. Will update soon**

****PRO TIP #7: Seasonal Items Are Amazing****

There are several (temporary) seasonal items available which are better than any permanent best-in-slot equipment currently available in the game. Around Christmas, you can get the Red Christmas Sock (2 weapon att, 7 slots) with a 1-year expiration date. If you can get this, even without Chaos Scrolling it, it will add more to your range than any other in-game shoes if you just scroll it mediocrely for dex. During summer and anniversary events, there have also been face accessories that add weapon att or +stats (but they have shorter expiration dates). Don’t miss out on these items if you're around!
    8. Attack Combinations MapleF9

You don’t need to worry about these until lvl 130+ at minimum.

For grinding at Shaolin 7F, it’s best to use BoomStep and Band of Thieves individually. You do not need to macro these skills together for training - since you need to move around a lot, it’s better to press the keys individually when needed. Plus Band of Thieves only connects when the mobs are within melee range. A lot of shads actually use BoomStep exclusively while training, but I’ve always used both for slightly higher DPM and exp. Though I admit it’s a bit of a pain to spam the keys consecutively to make them cast as quickly as possible.

For stable position bossing where you’re hitting 3+ targets - such as the top-left 3 Zakum arms, 3 CWKPQ melee bosses, or 3-4 targets on mid-left/mid-right Horntail body - you should macro BoomStep > Band of Thieves for optimal DPM. It casts faster more consistently than mashing the keys individually in succession.

For any solo-target bossing - area bosses, Zakum body, Krexel, Scar/Targa, anything in Neo Tokyo, Horntail heads - the optimal shad attack macro is Dark Sight > Assassinate > BoomStep. The alternative combo of just Dark Sight > Assassinate (with a canceled cap hit) alone produces only a fractionally higher DPM - for me, just ~200,000 per minute. The reason I recommend you use BoomStep to complete the combination (it cancels the 5th cap hit of Assassinate that rushes you forward) is that it gives you long iframes for a lot of pot saving which is worth much more than +200,000 DPM per minute. Also, without iframes you will get knocked back more often which will in turn negatively affect your DPM at bossing anyways, so I think the difference in DPM at bossing is truly negligible.

Be aware that if you use any item or arrow key while in the Assassinate segment of the combination, you will rush forward and use the critical 5th hit of Assassinate instead of casting BoomStep. But you can actually use this to your advantage after getting knocked back.

****PRO TIP #8: Charge Assassinate During Weapon Cancels****

Keep in mind - at any time when a boss weapon cancels - Zakum body, Krexel, Scar/Targa, Nibergen in neo tokyo, Horntail heads - you should charge your Assassinate in Dark Sight for up to 12 seconds for maximum damage (this is how you hit 5x 199,999 lines at high damage range, and regardless you'll probably still do all 6-figure lines with the attack at max level). This is different than the macro combination of Dark Sight > Assassinate - you need to use Dark Sight alone first, and have a separate keypress for Assassinate as well, otherwise it casts in succession instantaneously without charge.

Be aware that you cannot use an HP potion in Dark Sight, and may need to exit it to HP pot if you take too much damage. That being said, I use the pet auto MP potion cash shop equip in Zakum because the pet will still use an MP pot in Dark Sight after Zakum’s 1/1 attack. I’ve also been told that if you purchase pet auto HP equip from the cash shop, your pet will HP pot you in dark sight. Also auto HP is for scrubs smh

****PRO TIP #9: Optimal DPM For Hitting 2 Targets****

If you’re only hitting 2 targets, it’s now much more DPM to use the Dark Sight > Assassinate > BoomStep macro as opposed to BoomStep > BandofThieves. Before the skill buff, the difference in DPM was pretty insignificant - though the combo involving Assassinate was insignificantly higher. Now, Assassinate at max level does far more DPM than Boomstep (since it hits 4 lines instead of 3 and 625% damage per line instead of 600%), even though it casts slightly slower. This is a pretty niche scenario, but it happens at times like when there are only 2 adjacent Zakum arms to hit, 2 melee bosses left in CWKPQ, and at points during Horntail body, among other things.
    upload_2019-11-4_3-38-10.png
    Two fortunate Genesis 30 drops during a recent Horntail run. MapleF14
    9. Conclusion sleepymush

If you made it through this entire guide, first of all you crazy. And second of all, thank you for reading!

I hope this guide answers a lot of question marks, and that you thoroughly enjoy playing the bandit/shad class as much as I do. I’ve never had a more amazing experience playing Maple. And the staff, community, and depth of content in Maple Legends truly make this place one-of-a-kind, I mean that.

Pro Tip #10: Find a great guild that suits you and a few friends to enjoy playing the game with. It makes every hour you spend here exponentially better. Making good memories in this game has meant much more to me than scrolling sick gear or stacking mad mesos.

Best of luck in all that you do. Feel free to whisper me in-game (Blu301/Blu996) if you have any shad questions.

And lastly, if you’d like to support me and my friends… MapleF11

S>Zak helm, Mark of Naricain, and Horntail Pendant hehe

Warmly,

Tim :heart:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Credits
    • Akash for HP Washing forum post and for reviewing the guide!​
    • Konnui for Meso Explosion training stats & Moob for sharing!​
    • Marty for 1st-3rd job skill allocation listings (here’s the OG comprehensive shadower guide!)​
    • Sensei LurkinShadow for teaching me how to be pepega shad x)​
    • Asahina for being Asahina​

• Great Work Great Work x 11
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Selquin

Selquin Master Chronos

May 28, 2018
    Female
    1:40 AM
    Skarmory
    F/P Arch Mage, Bishop, Bowmaster
    Honor
    Someone sell me a perf dagger so I can play shadower

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. Garo

Garo Red Snail

Nov 3, 2019
    Male
    How much of an impact do you think the incoming Assassinate buff is going to make? The skill gets both an extra 25% dmg at 30 as well as a free line of damage.
    Great guide that's helped me decide what I want to play in the server. :)

4. OP
    OP
    Blu301

Blu301 Slime

May 20, 2019
    Male
    Blu301
    Shadower
    Familia
    pog!

Hmmmm. So I believe the skill buff to Assassinate is 600% per 3 hits -> 625% per 4 hits at max level (assuming minimum charge time and the same animation timeframe), so that's about 39% more damage now to Assassinate alone.

But in bossing, Assassinate will probably still be used in tandem with BoomStep, and because the Assassinate animation is about the same length as the BoomStep animation and BoomStep's damage remains the same, I'd say for bossing purposes it's about a 20% boost to DPM. Will test out the different attack combination DPMs soon.

And welcome to ML man :D

5. mintyhearts

mintyhearts Blue Snail

Aug 2, 2019
    Female
    12:40 AM
    Cleric, Bandit
    YASSSSSS BLU NICE GUIDE!! :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Fuyohh

Fuyohh Red Snail

Jan 24, 2018
    4:40 PM
    Fuyohh
    Bandit
    Thanks for the guide mate was looking for a good shad guide with references to HP washing!! Good job!! SeemsGood

Oh and also, love that you post your own path to a shad and your equips and all, really cool and informative :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. takeoverkyle

takeoverkyle Blue Snail

Nov 2, 2019
    Male
    Great guide and very useful! Will 100% be using this in the future

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Mirrors

Mirrors King Slime

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    12:40 AM
    Mirrors
    Priest
    WeenieHutJrs
    THANK YOU SO MUCH TIM!! I'm so excited to see this guide out :‘) I hope one day my shadower will become as great as yours!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Kageshirou

Kageshirou Slime

Jul 31, 2018
    Male
    Canada
    1:40 AM
    Kageshirou
    Buccaneer
    Organization
    Great guide and interesting read! Liked the attention to details when you included meso farming locations for the newer players.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    Blu301

Blu301 Slime

May 20, 2019
    Male
    Blu301
    Shadower
    Familia
    Thanks to everyone for the kind comments :)

I've made a lot of edits and added a very useful section on Meso Explosion training (as if it's not long enough) - special thank you to Konnui and Moob for sharing Meso Explosion statistics for the 2 best training spots.

Also, added some screenshots from my journey MapleF8

11. xndrew0215

xndrew0215 Blue Snail

May 24, 2019
    7:40 PM
    Bandit
    Hey Blu, thx for uploading this guide you've inspired me into making a shadower and this post would help so much with it :)

Just one question, where u said : "My goal was to reach over 6,500 HP by around lvl 160",

Is your goal Hp of 6500 your raw Hp without the +HP equips? (after HP wash) or did u also count the bonus +HP from equips?
    cuz I assume by the time you hit 160, u would have had some good hp items such as monster ring and blackfist cloak.

I'm just curious cuz my final goal with shad is to kill Nibergen at around 163 without HB (Similar to yours) which requires me to have 13000 + HP (with MG)
    and to minimize the amount of HP wash needed (Im trying to calculate the Bonus HP from equips too), I thought I should ask you this :D

Thanks again!

12. OP
    OP
    Blu301

Blu301 Slime

May 20, 2019
    Male
    Blu301
    Shadower
    Familia
    hey man, glad to hear it :D I think it's a very good time to make a shadower

you are correct, that is my HP with monster ring, ellin ring, blackfist cloak, and HP pet equip

If you're aiming for Neo Tokyo bossing without HB, would actually suggest aiming for 13,500 HP (6,750 with meso guard). I recall both Verga and Niber taking me to ~150 HP when I had 6600 HP (have a screenshot for proof).

best of luck!

• Friendly Friendly x 1