1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Clarifying streamer giveaway/RWT guidelines

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blu301, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Paid2Win

Paid2Win Brown Teddy

Oct 25, 2019
    Male
    7:41 AM
    Paid2Win
    Paladin
    Katsu
    Hey just trying to get some clarification to make sure I have this right from everything that I've read for any future giveaways. Can any GM please advise if the below is correct, or what is not correct about it.

not bannable: hosting a giveaway for a bossing helm/item/service on twitch using a small/arbitrary amount of channel points or a twitch-bot giveaway event with no follow/sub requirement if everyone gets one entry per giveaway
    bannable: hosting a giveaway for a bossing helm/item/service on twitch using a small/arbitrary amount of channel points or a twitch-bot giveaway event with no follow/sub requirement where you can gain multiple entries from channel points

not bannable: offering quest help for channel points, which has no monetization on either side of the "transaction".

not bannable: giving away free, low level items to anyone that requests it in the stream with no channel points, sub, or follow requirements.
    bannable: giving away free, low level items to anyone (no sub/follow requirement) that requests it in the stream if there is a channel point system in place, regardless if it is 1 channel point that anyone can reach in literally 5 minutes on the stream or 1 million channel points that has to be farmed over time.

• Like Like x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    Blu301

Blu301 Pac Pinky

May 20, 2019
    Male
    East Coast, USA
    Blu301
    Shadower
    Summer
    The kind of post paid2win outlined above is what I'm requesting from the staff. Talking about all of this nice but there still isn't much clarity

NiseNise I understand streamer giveaways are more difficult to moderate, but your last comment makes it sound like - by ML standards we're allowed to do giveaways as long as they're sensible. As an example, could a staff member say straight up - are there channel point giveaway situations that are acceptable? And would allowing viewers obtain a raffle ticket (no guarantee to win) for a free boss helm through a low-buy-in channel point reward system be one of them?

I doubt many streamers are going to jump at the opportunity to raffle off free boss helmets just because it's allowed. But at the moment we don't know what is and what's not.

Even if staff has no "moderation powers" on Twitch (I'm not sure what the right word choice is there), streamers can set their past stream VODs to be publicly viewable, and any affiliates' VODs should last for 60 days. Alternatively, there could be a rule where if a streamer wants to do giveaways, they have to be willing to provide timely access to the relevant VODs along with timestamps if necessary. I understand it would be impractical for staff to sift through VODs in response to questionable giveaways or the like, but I'd think most streamers have no ill intentions with their giveaways and would be happy to provide a link + timestamps. And I'm sure most streamers would try to avoid pulling any sus giveaways so they can save themselves a lot of time, if people know where the lines are there's no reason why they'd want to cross them.

3. PandaOnPanda

PandaOnPanda Timer

Jun 29, 2019
    PandaOn___
    Paladin, I/L Arch Mage, Corsair
    Homies
    If you're worried about shenanigans going on, couldn't streamers just be transparent about their giveaways by posting on the forums the guidelines for them, like how artists must always post on the forums for their sales? That way the entire community can see it and choose to participate, plus the ML mods can check it out to see if its kosher. Of course this would mean self promoting on the ML forums but...I don't really see the issue in that tbh

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Blu301

Blu301 Pac Pinky

May 20, 2019
    Male
    East Coast, USA
    Blu301
    Shadower
    Summer
    I like that. Alternatively, perhaps they could make a discord text channel for streamers to post in so that people can mute it if they're totally not interested? Streamers could post their giveaway guidelines in a pre-set format (channellink/title/description/timelength/channelpointbuyin or whatever). This would also make it more easily accessible to the entire community so streamer giveaways don't feel exclusive to their individual communities. I guess the issue here is still the self-promotional aspect, but I don't think having some kind of streamer channel in ML's discord server is a bad idea either

• Like Like x 1
  5. Paid2Win

Paid2Win Brown Teddy

Oct 25, 2019
    Male
    Paid2Win
    Paladin
    Katsu
    What Tim said x2. If people are going to be permabanned for twitch missteps it'd be super helpful to know what is and what isn't allowed. I don't feel like getting banned for trying to help new players get work gloves or by trying to help people get free bossing helmets or quest help.

6. Vezka

Vezka Mano

Feb 19, 2021
    Male
    1:41 PM
    Vezka
    Cleric
    If I pay some1 to make art, and trade it for mesos this all of sudden is allowed? How could u check if I'm the one who created the art?

7. Paid2Win

Paid2Win Brown Teddy

Oct 25, 2019
    Male
    Paid2Win
    Paladin
    Katsu

This is a much different rabbit hole to go down friend.

I'd still like an answer from staff if possible? @gm?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Cowbelle

Cowbelle Mushmom

Jul 11, 2020
    Female
    4:41 AM
    Cowbelle
    Beginner
    Homies
    I actually think this might be the nail on the coffin for giveaways hosted through channel points, right? Giveaways through channel points directly violates both of Twitch's guidelines quoted above.

Now, is being concerned about following the rules ironic considering we're all streaming a private server? Probably. Is following U.S. laws and regulations for a hat giveaway on a mushroom game extreme overkill? Most definitely. These giveaways are all just benevolent players trying to give back to the community and I hate to poo-poo on their efforts. But I'm saying this more in a "We shouldn't put our GMs in a position to sanction something in writing that is probably illegal" way and less of a "Belle hates fun" way. I still think there are ways to host giveaways through streams, it just needs some tweaking and a lil extra effort.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Paid2Win

Paid2Win Brown Teddy

Oct 25, 2019
    Male
    Paid2Win
    Paladin
    Katsu
    This post is about more than giveaways and really any in game channel point interactions though. We can speculate all day but if staff is going to (and has in the past) ban people for twitch missteps having a definitive list of rules or guidelines outside from common sense - such as no trading subs/follows for meso - should be presented. Perma banning people for doing something they didn't know was wrong would be the fastest way to nuke the streaming community on this server.

Edit: there are also bots and other twitch related ways to do giveaways that do not use channel points at all that need to be addressed as well.

10. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    You guys don't have to use Channel Points to do giveaways, you guys can use the giveaway tab in Streamlabs where the viewers use !raffle or something to get logged into giveaway.

Idk, just thought this would better to use.

11. Paid2Win

Paid2Win Brown Teddy

Oct 25, 2019
    Male
    Paid2Win
    Paladin
    Katsu

Once again.... I think all of us are aware there are bots and other sources for giveaways but that doesn't answer what is bannable and what isn't

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Cowbelle

Cowbelle Mushmom

Jul 11, 2020
    Female
    Cowbelle
    Beginner
    Homies
    Yep! Totally agreed on all points; having guidelines from GMs for ALL stream in-game interactions will help keep everyone feeling safe. I zeroed in on the giveaways because, in my opinion, these are the hardest to classify as bannable or non-bannable in their current form. I should have been more clear in the last sentence of my previous post: the way giveaways have been handled in the past might not be able to be sanctioned, but I think with a little extra work and tweaking, there are ways to host while abiding by both twitch and ML's rules.

--

all love here! i quite enjoy watching your channel and hope to see a positive outcome of this thread.

13. Lin

Lin Headless Horseman

Feb 27, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
    7:41 PM
    Linny,BangHero,Carbide
    Paladin
    Bonk
    What's the consensus on donations? If a really popular streamer plays this server one day and gets high amount donations while playing, is that considered bannable? No, right?

14. Pixel

Pixel Mixed Golem

Jun 17, 2018
    6:41 AM
    DragonMaid
    Outlaw
    Because they earn their donations already by their own popularity and merit regardless of the game they play

Unlike someone who uses their in-game advantages in exchange of cash, who only got popular because they're giving out free stuff in game

• Informative Informative x 1